The Conners (ABC) Season 2 Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Conners (ABC) Season 2 Thread

Old 10-09-19, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: The Conners (ABC) Season 2 Thread

Originally Posted by mwbmis View Post
Edit to add...the one thing about the show that isn't really working for me is Jackie, and it pains me to say it because I know Metcalf is a good actress. The character is just too broad. I see and understand what they are trying to do; Jackie is broken and overcompensating for Roseanne's absence, but Jackie isn't a real person right now; she's a clown. They need to dial the character down a notch or two.
I thoroughly agree about the character, but I also cite Metcalf's performance. "Becky" can be just as cartoonish as "Jackie" at times, but Goranson keeps her performance much more relatable. Metcalf plays it on more of a deliberate "Sitcom" level.

Last edited by DWilson; 10-09-19 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-09-19, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

Jackie was always all over the place on Roseanne, too.

It seems like they could only give her anything interesting to do when she was in a relationship (getting beat up by Fisher, or getting knocked up by Fred); otherwise she'd fall back into "Wacky Jackie" mode.

I sort of like the idea of her and Ben hooking up.
Old 10-10-19, 04:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Jackie was always all over the place on Roseanne, too.

It seems like they could only give her anything interesting to do when she was in a relationship (getting beat up by Fisher, or getting knocked up by Fred); otherwise she'd fall back into "Wacky Jackie" mode.

I sort of like the idea of her and Ben hooking up.

She really didn't become Wacky Jackie until season 8 of ROSEANNE. I rewatched the series before Season 10 started (the one with Roseanne), and she's pretty grounded the entire time. Sure she goes through some bizarre career changes (factory worker to cop to truck driver) but she was never over the top like was toward the end of the show. I really wish she'd get dialed back to that state for this.
Old 10-11-19, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Matto1020 View Post
She really didn't become Wacky Jackie until season 8 of ROSEANNE. I rewatched the series before Season 10 started (the one with Roseanne), and she's pretty grounded the entire time. Sure she goes through some bizarre career changes (factory worker to cop to truck driver) but she was never over the top like was toward the end of the show. I really wish she'd get dialed back to that state for this.
This is correct. Jackie didn't turn into Don Knotts until season 8 of the original "Roseanne". Which was quite odd. She was never a manic character. It happened almost over night. And I didn't mind it so much then. But now it does seem a bit much. I doubt the writers are reading online comments so this will probably continue. But almost everyone I've seen said she needs to be toned down. Back to "Roseanne", while I thought the show was great from the beginning, I truly felt the best seasons were 4-7. It got so much edgier and had more laugh out loud moments for me. It started to lose it's mojo and steam during season 8. Which started off just o.k. but go progressively worse. And that last season was the worst, where they won the lottery. It felt like the show was hijacked by different writers/creators. It was an unwatchable mess and hands down the worst final season (and finale) of any comedy show. Ever.

Last edited by Daytripper; 10-11-19 at 11:29 PM.
Old 10-15-19, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I loved this week's episode. It was both touching and funny. I laughed out loud several times. Like when Jackie drove off. Hands down the best "Conners" episode IMO this season and last. The show just keeps getting better.
Old 10-15-19, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, Darlene got her problem solved this week. Ben was rightfully a complete a-hole to her. And I agree, loved the part with Jackie speeding away while laughing! LOL
Old 10-17-19, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

The difference in video quality between the current show and the flashback to Darlene/David from 20+ years ago was jarring.

I wonder how much the guy playing DJ is getting paid for this show. When they manage to sneak him into an episode, he only has a line of two of dialog.
Old 10-17-19, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
The difference in video quality between the current show and the flashback to Darlene/David from 20+ years ago was jarring.
I'm sure they zoomed into it the original footage to make it 16:9. If they had left it at 4:3, it would have looked better.
Old 10-18-19, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
I wonder how much the guy playing DJ is getting paid for this show. When they manage to sneak him into an episode, he only has a line of two of dialog.
He's not a cute little smart aleck kid anymore.

Old 10-18-19, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
And he hadn't really done any acting since. He's probably not the one you want carrying the narrative.
Old 10-18-19, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey65 View Post
I'm not sure he really ever was a cute kid.

I get him not having a major role - I was just curious as to how much he's getting paid for the very minor work. They've introduced him back to the show already, so really they could've just had DJ, his wife and kid move to another city and forget about them. No point in paying 3 actors to essentially be extras.
Old 10-18-19, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like having him around. It's good for continuity, and the Conners are supposed to be a very close family. Last year when they did the DJ story line in an episode they gave most of the "heavy lifting" to the actress playing his wife.
Old 10-20-19, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No new episode this week. ABC is airing "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown" again. And 10/29's episode looks like it won't be a traditional Halloween show, sadly. But it does sound interesting. Would love to see Jackie re-open the Lunch Box. And if she does, please please bring back Martin Mull and Sandra Bernhard full time. Martin hasn't been on the reboot yet. Sandra was only on one episode. She is so good, fingers crossed. But I wonder what the secret is? Here's the synopsis from TV Guide:

Jackie learns that the Chinese restaurant is going out of business and sees an opportunity to reopen the Lunch Box, but she's caught by surprise when she uncovers a secret. Meanwhile, Mary gets upset when a woman assumes she is adopted, and Darlene continues to deal with her complicated love life.
Old 10-20-19, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
No new episode this week. ABC is airing "It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown" again. And 10/29's episode looks like it won't be a traditional Halloween show, sadly. But it does sound interesting. Would love to see Jackie re-open the Lunch Box. And if she does, please please bring back Martin Mull and Sandra Bernhard full time. Martin hasn't been on the reboot yet. Sandra was only on one episode. She is so good, fingers crossed. But I wonder what the secret is? Here's the synopsis from TV Guide:

Jackie learns that the Chinese restaurant is going out of business and sees an opportunity to reopen the Lunch Box, but she's caught by surprise when she uncovers a secret. Meanwhile, Mary gets upset when a woman assumes she is adopted, and Darlene continues to deal with her complicated love life.
Martin Mull was a breath of fresh air as he went back and forth with Rosie. Curious why he has yet to be on the show.
Old 10-20-19, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jacob_b View Post
Martin Mull was a breath of fresh air as he went back and forth with Rosie. Curious why he has yet to be on the show.
Indeed. Roseanne's best response to Leon when he was talking to Bev: "Why, if it isn't Wayland and Madame".
Old 10-29-19, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wasn't crazy about this week's episode. I liked the story line but felt the writing was sub par. I loved Darlene dressed up like Becky for Halloween.
Old 10-29-19, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoy that Estelle Parsons is still healthy enough and willing to keep working.
Old 10-29-19, 11:04 PM

Such a bummer that they aren't carrying on the Conner tradition of Halloween like they did in the original series. Looks like Darlene is fucked all the way around right now. Would be interesting to see The Lunch Box reopened and seeing where the show takes it.
Old 10-30-19, 09:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I also love the fact that Estelle Parsons is willing to continue her role (altho with that over the top accent she gave her character I never bought her as a realistic depiction of Roseanne and Jackie's Mom!) She has made the part her own and like John Goodman, she slipped back into the role like the show never ended.

Regarding The Lunch Box....I enjoyed the original series episodes when they were running it but like they said on the show, ultimately it ran out of steam. I can't remember how they even ended it on the original series. I think they just dropped it and stopped showing them working there.

I remember when Roseanne was at the height of her popularity and had just married Tom Arnold and built some palatial home in Iowa where she discovered 'loose meat' sandwiches and decided to carry it over into the show via The Lunch Box.

A few friends and I decided to take a road trip to the Midwest just to try them out and drove 500 miles to get to the closest Maid Rite restaurant. Like all good road trips it was more about the journey than the destination but we were all still pretty disappointed to find out that loose meat sandwiches were basically the same thing your Mom served as a 'sloppy Joe' only without the sauce!
Old 10-30-19, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

Maybe Jackie, Becky, and Darlene can open up a food truck that sells loose meat sandwiches and truffle fries.
Old 10-30-19, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bluesix View Post
A few friends and I decided to take a road trip to the Midwest just to try them out and drove 500 miles to get to the closest Maid Rite restaurant. Like all good road trips it was more about the journey than the destination but we were all still pretty disappointed to find out that loose meat sandwiches were basically the same thing your Mom served as a 'sloppy Joe' only without the sauce!
I've worked across the street from one for over ten years. I've yet to go.
Old 11-18-19, 10:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a joke in one of the recent episodes about Darlene looking like Yoda. I can see it.
Old 11-19-19, 08:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Great episode tonight. The slap and Darlene keeping it real with Aunt Jackie felt very real and genuine. Almost like a different show.

The writing has gotten a lot sharper since Roseanne left. The jokes about being poor white trash and stuff like the duct tape and spiders on the lawn chair and the toaster brick are the kind of things you only. know about from having lived them. Really nice job. Feels like the show is going to another level.

Wish Bev could be in more episodes but at her age its nice to know she is still part of the ensemble.

Not sure I like going down the path of the New Lunch Box storyline because you know its going to fail. Maybe they can convince Martin Mull to come back to help manage it again.
Old 11-19-19, 11:27 PM

It was a good episode. I had the show on my DVR and rewound to see the slap again! That looked like it was a real one too!

I think the show is really good and I like when they show Darlene and Becky acting like they did back when they were younger with certain insults and attitude. It just makes it feel like the old days with the show with moments like that.

I also like having Katey Segal on the show. I like how they are making it look like she went to school with Dan and Jackie to give her some history. She seems to fit right in and is good with Dan.
Old 11-20-19, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Oof. That got awfully dark for a sitcom, didn't it?

Not necessarily a bad thing, but you don't ordinarily see things that real outside of a Very Special Episode.

ETA: I like that Katey Sagal's character was a successful musician. In real life she pursued that too; next time you watch Valley Girl, and Nic Cage and the gang go into that bar (which is now the Viper Room, BTW) there's a list of upcoming bands playing, and one is Katey Sagal.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.