TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Conners (ABC) — Season 2 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-20, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Re: The Conners (ABC) — Season 2 Thread

Originally Posted by urrutiap
i dont remermber Ed Jr. I only and still remember Lonnie where he was Dan's step brother when Dan's father married Crystal back then on the old Roseanne show
I remember when Crystal had "Little Ed". She would go on and on about him, being all protective and would tell Roseanne to be careful of the soft spot on his head when she took him over to their house to watch him since she was going out somewhere.
Old 02-25-20, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Another solid episode. Although blowing up the car was pretty stupid. I'm liking Ed Junior as a regular. They continue to fuck with us on continuity though. Showing a clip of him as a baby from the original series referencing Crystal.
Old 02-26-20, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

The ship has long since sailed on continuity when it comes to Roseanne/The Conners.
Old 02-26-20, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

How is Dan's half brother a bigger character than DJ on this show?
Old 02-26-20, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
How is Dan's half brother a bigger character than DJ on this show?
Because he is played by an actual actor.
Old 02-26-20, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Because he is played by an actual actor.
Ouch
Old 02-26-20, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Ouch
The few story lines he got last year the "heavy lifting" was handled by the actress playing his wife, but it looks like they lost her to a full-time gig (the Unicorn).
Old 02-27-20, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mwbmis
The few story lines he got last year the "heavy lifting" was handled by the actress playing his wife, but it looks like they lost her to a full-time gig (the Unicorn).
I thought I read that she was going to be replaced by another actress. Or did I read she would make an occasional cameo (?) Can't remember. But yes, I agree with you. Fishman is no actor.
Old 02-27-20, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm actually glad they brought him back, but it certainly limits what they can do with the character. It's not like Goranson who just needed someone to give her another chance. She's really taken hold of that chance.
The following users liked this post:
rduncan (02-28-20)
Old 03-18-20, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn! https://tvline.com/2020/03/18/tv-rat...ners-season-2/

Pretty funny episode overall. The writing here and there was a little cringe worthy though. Darlene telling that customer to go home. Also, talking under her breath to Harris saying the first three letters of assistant were "ass". Then there was the ongoing jabs at Ben for his smooth face. Kind of dumb. I did laugh out loud at the cameo at the end of the show.

Last edited by Daytripper; 03-18-20 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-18-20, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked Becky's glee at Harris firing Darlene.
Old 03-18-20, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paff
I liked Becky's glee at Harris firing Darlene.
Better still, I loved Darlene throwing the baby monitor in the garbage from across the room. Now that was classic 80's/90's Darlene. I laughed out loud at that scene too.
Old 03-18-20, 04:47 PM

I was sort of hoping they'd have a storyline keeping them at the store. Sort of s Rodbell's type of thing for a while. I just like how they are throwing out things on each show that is like the old show between Darlene and Becky - the snide comments and other things.

I have to admit, I am not missing Roseanne at all on this show...
Old 03-18-20, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe Jackie and Andy are estranged, like he went to live with Fred at some point.
Old 03-18-20, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mickey65
I was sort of hoping they'd have a storyline keeping them at the store. Sort of s Rodbell's type of thing for a while. I just like how they are throwing out things on each show that is like the old show between Darlene and Becky - the snide comments and other things.

I have to admit, I am not missing Roseanne at all on this show...
There are times I miss her. And honestly, I didn't know how this show could work without her after a few episodes. But they've done a great job. I want them to keep the nostalgia going. I've said this before a few times, but they really do need to bring Sandra Bernhard back once in a while. Her and Jackie could go out to meet guys. Since Nancy is bi. It could also be kind of fun to bring Arnie back at least one time. Maybe at one of Dan's poker parties.

Last edited by Daytripper; 03-19-20 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-19-20, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Back in the original show, I couldn't feel any sympathy for Roseanne's financial issues because I always remembered her being a lazy employee with a bad attitude. She would always whine about it, yet wouldn't do anything positive to help with her financial situation. Darlene reminded me of that this latest episode. Whine and moan about money, but can't take a simple job that teenagers do seriously and without copping an attitude.
Old 03-19-20, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Coral
Darlene reminded me of that this latest episode. Whine and moan about money, but can't take a simple job that teenagers do seriously and without copping an attitude.
But that's how Darlene always was to begin with...
Old 03-19-20, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey65
But that's how Darlene always was to begin with...
Yea, as a teenager... but as an unemployed adult trying to support 2 children - you figure she'd get her priorities straight.
Can't root for a character like this.
Old 03-19-20, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yea, as a teenager... but as an unemployed adult trying to support 2 children - you figure she'd get her priorities straight.
I hate to generalize, and I know that a lot of lower income people work their asses off just to make ends meet, but a lot of people sure do go out of their way to screw up on their own. Just watch an episode of Cops. They'll pull over someone who says "I'm on probation, officer, just trying to get my life back together". But sure enough, they've got something illegal in the car. And before we talk about the disease of addiction, which I all too well understand, I mean things like firearms, driving on a suspended license, etc, things they could easily not do if they truly were trying to get back on their feet.

I.E., people who screw up, tend to continue screwing up.
Old 03-19-20, 11:42 AM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

That's what happens when parent enable their children by allowing them to become lazy slackers with no ambition.

I tried living with my parents rent free after college and quickly found out that things had changed, no more laundry service by Mom, no more using their car insurance, no more living at home eating their food and using their electricity without chipping in with money for the mortgage. And on top of that they still expected me to have a curfew and not bring strangers into the house overnight.

It quickly became apparent that life would be easier to just get a job and my own place.

If Dan had used a little tough love with Darlene maybe she would have gotten a 'real' job at the local button factory and realized not everyone gets to follow their artistic ambitions. Her parents supported her going to art school and she had her shot. It didn't work out, time to grow up! That's what life is really like in the real world.

Of course Dan has his own problems still dealing with his wife's death and probably just wants to have the house full so he isn't feeling lonely. So no chance of his kicking Darlene's lazy ass into reality any time soon.

Don't get me started on alcoholic slut Becky. Kudos to this show for showing the effects of Roseanne's horrible parenting.
Old 03-25-20, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, that might have been the funniest one since the show returned. Nothing is better than taking a joke that's already funny, and then going a step further and making it funnier

Jackie: My mom locked me in a closet and told me not to come out till I was pretty
(pause for laughter)
Jackie: I was FOUR
(more laughter)
Jackie: For the next five years, all she said was "What are you still doing out here?"

That, and Darlene and Harris' prank phone calls were hilarious.
Old 03-25-20, 06:59 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

A sitcom hasn't me made laugh like Jackie's closet story did in a long time
Old 03-25-20, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, it wasn't the respectful chuckle I normally give a clever line in a sitcom; that gave me a genuine belly laugh.
Old 03-25-20, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
OK, that might have been the funniest one since the show returned. Nothing is better than taking a joke that's already funny, and then going a step further and making it funnier

Jackie: My mom locked me in a closet and told me not to come out till I was pretty
(pause for laughter)
Jackie: I was FOUR
(more laughter)
Jackie: For the next five years, all she said was "What are you still doing out here?"

That, and Darlene and Harris' prank phone calls were hilarious.
And Dan continued it when he asked "Did you have to tell her she was pretty?" I forget to whom he said it. Was is it Darlene? Funniest episode they've done in a long time.
Old 03-25-20, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, this episode was gold. I loved every minute. Go back and watch Jackie's face when Emilio's family were talking about her and Becky in Spanish. And they didn't know she could speak their language. Metcalf is so good. And Goranson just continues to shine as Becky. She is still my favorite of this revival.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.