TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Conners (ABC) — Season 2 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-19, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 221 Likes on 195 Posts
Re: The Conners (ABC) — Season 2 Thread

Originally Posted by Paff
Oof. That got awfully dark for a sitcom, didn't it?

Not necessarily a bad thing, but you don't ordinarily see things that real outside of a Very Special Episode.

ETA: I like that Katey Sagal's character was a successful musician. In real life she pursued that too; next time you watch Valley Girl, and Nic Cage and the gang go into that bar (which is now the Viper Room, BTW) there's a list of upcoming bands playing, and one is Katey Sagal.
I seem to recall when she was part of the cast of Mary Tyler Moore's other sitcom "Mary", she was described more as a singer who happened to act.

Last edited by DWilson; 01-09-20 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-09-20, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From TV Line:

Conners fans on perpetual lookout for Jackie’s absentee son can call off their search. Showrunner Bruce Helford tells TVLine that the character of Andy has not made an appearance on the Roseanne spinoff because, well, he doesn’t actually exist.

“We made a conscious decision that certain years were going to be part of the dream that was revealed at the end of the run of the original Roseanne, and [Andy] was part of the dream,” Helford explains. “Andy fell into the same category for us as winning the lottery; [it’s] something we chose not to acknowledge.”

Fellow Conners EP Sara Gilbert, who also stars as Darlene, is not so quick to administer last rites to Jackie’s elusive offspring. “In my mind it’s not off the table entirely,” she tells us. “I know some of the writers think we’ve waited too long and it wouldn’t work, but I think there’s probably a way to do it.”
Old 01-10-20, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
From TV Line:

Conners fans on perpetual lookout for Jackie’s absentee son can call off their search. Showrunner Bruce Helford tells TVLine that the character of Andy has not made an appearance on the Roseanne spinoff because, well, he doesn’t actually exist.

“We made a conscious decision that certain years were going to be part of the dream that was revealed at the end of the run of the original Roseanne, and [Andy] was part of the dream,” Helford explains. “Andy fell into the same category for us as winning the lottery; [it’s] something we chose not to acknowledge.”

Fellow Conners EP Sara Gilbert, who also stars as Darlene, is not so quick to administer last rites to Jackie’s elusive offspring. “In my mind it’s not off the table entirely,” she tells us. “I know some of the writers think we’ve waited too long and it wouldn’t work, but I think there’s probably a way to do it.”
I can see them ignoring the final season of Roseanne, but why ignore a character born in Season 6? (I read that article elsewhere, and I think it mentioned that's when Andy was born.) Why don't they just say he died at some point, and that's why Jackie's life is a mess. They could say the other characters don't mention him in front of Jackie so she doesn't get upset. Also, why don't they bring Dan and Roseanne's other son home? I think they mentioned him in the first episode of the reboot, but we haven't heard about him since.
Old 01-10-20, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,781 Likes on 1,913 Posts

Yeah, Andy was born before Jerry (who was name-checked) and Darlene's kids (who are regulars) so it seems kind weird to claim he was part of Roseanne's lottery fantasy.

I'm not really sure where the canon cut-off is with the original run; I think Darlene gave birth to Harris during season nine post-lottery win, so they might just be picking and choosing.

They also seem to have massaged the timeline some, because if Harris was born in 1997, she would be have been twenty when the second series began; she's still shown to be in high school in The Conners.
Old 01-11-20, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
so they might just be picking and choosing.
This.
The quote above literally says they were considering "certain years" as parts of the dream so they're picking & choosing for sure.
Old 01-23-20, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

This week's episode seemed really out of place. The regular NFL season ended weeks ago, even longer for the Bears.
Old 01-23-20, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 274 Likes on 203 Posts

Well, they did mention anything about it being the playoffs. The last Bears vs. Packers game was 12/15/2019 and the Packers did win so that would have to be the game.

Have they ever shown Dan to be such a hardcore Bears fan on the original show? It seemed out of character for Dan to be so mean to a Packers fan. I guess he still has a lot of anger over Roseanne's death.
Old 01-23-20, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I don't ever recall the family being such rabid football fans like that in all the seasons of Roseanne. I also wanted to add that I don't care much for Darlene's boyfriend Ben too much. His character rubs me the wrong way and he doesn't seem to "fit" on the show. JMO
Old 01-23-20, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 274 Likes on 203 Posts

The actor that plays Ben was a childhood friend of Sara Gilbert which explains why he's on the show. She also had a part on the CBS sitcom he starred in.

Should Dan really be driving any potential boyfriends for Becky over something ultimately unimportant as what football team he's a fan of? Dan should be hoping that anyone willing to date a new mom in her early 40s should stick around, especially if they may be willing to support Becky and her baby.
Old 01-24-20, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 953 Likes on 727 Posts

Or, and hear me out on this, it's just a sitcom and not real life.
The following users liked this post:
rduncan (01-24-20)
Old 01-30-20, 09:04 PM

After this week's show, I doubt we'll be seeing Katey Sagal anymore....
Old 01-30-20, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 292 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey65
I know. She saw Dan naked.
Old 01-31-20, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mickey65
She has a lead in a new series (I'm not sure if it's confirmed to run or just a pilot). Apparently she had a lead role in another pilot recently, but it wasn't picked up.
Old 02-11-20, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Live sitcoms can be really awkward. Two minor camera issues aside, I thought they did a pretty good job tonight. No one forgot their lines or even stumbled. There was one line or two that fell flat. But overall I thought it was a pretty funny and entertaining episode. That poor kid who plays Mark had more lines on tonight's show than I believe he's had in the past. That's a lot of weight and pressure for someone his age on a live show. He did a fine job though. And I'm starting to like Harris more and more. Her scenes with Mark at the end were very sweet.
Old 02-11-20, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 856 Likes on 598 Posts

Yea, although I don't see the point of a live show (other than bragging about it or something) - but I thought it was well done. There were a few delays in starting the next scene and a couple of scenes where there was an extra couple seconds of dead air - but nothing that took away from the show. And I agree that the Mark kid did a superb job. He had a lot of lines to deal with and he pulled it off as if he did it in multiple takes - while pulling off a good performance to boot.
Old 02-11-20, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 953 Likes on 727 Posts

Mark flubbed a line on the West Coast version (they did it again, rather than re-air the earlier performance). Boom mic made an appearance too.
Old 02-12-20, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
Yea, although I don't see the point of a live show .
The point of yesterday was to give live New Hampshire primary results. There were certain lines where you can tell "Mark" was reading--he had to look at a cue card with the latest updates. It's how I learned Yang dropped out.
Old 02-12-20, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thought the live show went well overall, especially the kid playing Mark. Too bad the episode wasn't funny.
Old 02-18-20, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I loved tonight's episode. Very nostalgic with not only the Lunch Box opening, but bringing Ed Jr. back. They screwed up the past story line (again). Ed Jr. is Crystal's son. She didn't disappear the last 20 plus years. She has made a few appearances on the "Roseanne" reboot and "The Conners". She's been in the Conner's life but her kids have not been (!?) It doesn't make sense. Unless they were estranged from Crystal and lived with their dad. But that's a stretch. Then again, still no word about Andy and Jerry Garcia.
Old 02-18-20, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,781 Likes on 1,913 Posts

If/when Andy and Jerry show up, they should be played by Jeremy Allen White and Cameron Monaghan.
Old 02-18-20, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
If/when Andy and Jerry show up, they should be played by Jeremy Allen White and Cameron Monaghan.

And if Arnie ever returns, played now by maybe William H. Macy (?)
Old 02-18-20, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Daytripper
I loved tonight's episode. Very nostalgic with not only the Lunch Box opening, but bringing Ed Jr. back. They screwed up the past story line (again). Ed Jr. is Crystal's son. She didn't disappear the last 20 plus years. She has made a few appearances on the "Roseanne" reboot and "The Conners". She's been in the Conner's life but her kids have not been (!?) It doesn't make sense. Unless they were estranged from Crystal and lived with their dad. But that's a stretch. Then again, still no word about Andy and Jerry Garcia.
Much funnier than last week. Forgot that Dan's dad married Crystal and they had kids. Wish they'd stop mucking up the continuity.
Old 02-18-20, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 856 Likes on 598 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Yea, I forgot about that. They just keep dicking with the show's history - this time their origin - not just about ignoring a past character's existence.
This is kinda like Entourage where Vince and Drama were half-brothers when the show started and then they were full brothers later on.
Old 02-18-20, 10:13 PM

Really good show with a few laugh out loud moments. Becky's comment to Harris at the end had me rolling!
Old 02-19-20, 06:17 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i dont remermber Ed Jr. I only and still remember Lonnie where he was Dan's step brother when Dan's father married Crystal back then on the old Roseanne show

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.