TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Survivor Season 39 Full Cast Revealed

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-19, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Re: Survivor Season 39 Full Cast Revealed

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
So they keep a predator in the game only until it affects the crew? That's fucked up.
I don't think that's the case. Dan Spilo is an industry person and talent manger who has represented actors such as Kal Penn and Rachael Lee Cook. They probably wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt - remember a number of the contestants said they were "fine" with Dan.

Regardless, this is a real black eye for the show, and particularly Probst as one of the show's producers (and who has a say in picking the contestants each season).
Old 12-12-19, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,209 Likes on 4,236 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
They'll probably let Rob and Sandra vote in that case.
They have already told contests on the Island of the Idols that they will not vote on the jury.
Old 12-12-19, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

I just saw this info:

"People reported that the incident in question involved a member of the series’ production team and happened after an immunity challenge, when Spilo and his fellow contestants were getting into a boat to transport them back to the camp."

Last edited by DWilson; 12-12-19 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-12-19, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Did anyone catch the scene where Tommy was sitting down and Elaine came up behind him and kind of gave him a soft punch and then grabbed his arm? If they were warned about unnecessary touching, why was Elaine allowed to do this without any consequences?
Old 12-12-19, 12:16 PM

Did anyone catch the scene where Tommy was sitting down and Elaine came up behind him and kind of gave him a soft punch and then grabbed his arm? If they were warned about unnecessary touching, why was Elaine allowed to do this without any consequences?
They have already talked on the show about appropriate vs inappropriate touching. And Dan had been warned about it.
Whatever really went down off-camera, I would hazard a guess it was more than a playful light punch on the arm.
Since it happened after the immunity challenge it's a shame they didn't remove him before Tribal.
Old 12-12-19, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm sure it was a playful touch but it's all up for interpretation of the person being touched, right? I'd also say it depends on who is doing the touching and who is being touched.

I don't think we know whether the incident with Dan happened after the immunity challenge we saw, or if it was after an immunity challenge that we didn't see after Elaine was already gone.
Old 12-12-19, 12:51 PM

I don't think we know whether the incident with Dan happened after the immunity challenge we saw, or if it was after an immunity challenge that we didn't see after Elaine was already gone.
Officially we don't. But People reported it was with a production assistant after the immunity challenge, while getting back on the boat to go back, and witnessed by at least one other player.

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2019/12...n-39-episode-9

People was able to reveal slightly more about the “incident.” After an immunity challenge, according to People’s sources, Dan inappropriately touched a crew member:
While getting into the boat, Spilo allegedly touched a female crew member on the leg. He insisted that the contact was accidental, according to multiple sources, but the show’s production team wasn’t convinced of that and after consulting with the show’s legal team, producers decided to remove him from the show.
According to People, the incident was witnessed by at least one contestant.
Old 12-12-19, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, but did it happen after the immunity challenge we saw in this episode, or did it happen after what would have been the next immunity challenge that we won't get to see?
Old 12-12-19, 02:27 PM

Yeah, but did it happen after the immunity challenge we saw in this episode, or did it happen after what would have been the next immunity challenge that we won't get to see?
I don't think so, but I guess we don't know. There was some ADR going on in that scene so we might never get the whole story. But I think the producers of Survivor owe it to us to come completely clean here. Maybe they do with the Finale?

I just think after all this, they need to be totally transparent and honest, not just in future seasons going forward but with everything that happened in Fiji.
Old 12-12-19, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
But I think the producers of Survivor owe it to us to come completely clean here. Maybe they do with the Finale?
They'll probably use this to try to get more viewers for finale/reunion. They have to address it.
Old 12-13-19, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It had to have been going back to camp from Tribal Council (so we finally know they don't WALK all the way there...they take a boat!). It would have been dark and Creepy Boy probably thought he could get away with something.
Old 12-13-19, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I am friends with some former Survivor players on FB. The word they are getting directly from the cast members is that this whole mess is complete BS against Dan. Most of the cast completely support Dan and they planned on defending him against the producers at the live reunion. This is why the show is going to be pre-taped. I think Survivor wanted to get praised for being so socially relevant in today's culture and it has blown up in their face. Shame on CBS for ruining this man's life.
Old 12-13-19, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

One thing I've fond interesting in the "Survivor" reaction is the idea that this was "unprecedented". That's not really true. There are several examples, but one was certainly Jean Robert pawing all over Courtney Yates in China, and her alliance not listening to her when she told them why she needed him gone.
Old 12-13-19, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Or that time Richard Hatch ran around naked and rubbed his junk on Susan Hawk during a challenge?
Old 12-13-19, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
I am friends with some former Survivor players on FB. The word they are getting directly from the cast members is that this whole mess is complete BS against Dan. Most of the cast completely support Dan and they planned on defending him against the producers at the live reunion. This is why the show is going to be pre-taped. I think Survivor wanted to get praised for being so socially relevant in today's culture and it has blown up in their face. Shame on CBS for ruining this man's life.
Clearly Kellie had a problem with Dan, one that started on Day 1 and resulted in her crying on camera and a subsequent meeting and warning of him. If there was another incident that occurred with a crew member, not in front of most of the remaining contestants, how can anyone say for certain that it didn't happen or wasn't warrented?
I suppose it could have been the most innocent their brushes against another person's leg, but who can say for sure? I do feel bad if Dan got screwed, but I don't really know what the alternative would have been at that point. He had earned no benefit of the doubt. By the same token lots of people on the internet are screaming that wasn't removed immediately, and I don't think he should have been at that time. The whole situation is messy, and ugly, and just generally sucks.
Old 12-16-19, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
Maybe, but that doesn't make any sense...since they had an opportunity to get rid of him earlier in the game. Plus, if you're not one of the victims, do you really know what's happening?
Old 12-18-19, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Mercifully this crap-show of a season is over. I guess Tommy was the least worst of the season so...whatever. Couldn't make it past 5 minutes of the reunion. Good riddance to them all.

The worst kept secret about season 40 is now official: Winners at War
Old 12-19-19, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Short list of worst seasons ever. Won't remember any of these losers in a week.

Sia giving money to people she likes is probably the best part.

Island of the Idols was a bust but the concept of having missions within the game only the audience is aware of is sort of interesting.
Old 12-19-19, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Mercifully this crap-show of a season is over. I guess Tommy was the least worst of the season so...whatever. Couldn't make it past 5 minutes of the reunion. Good riddance to them all.

The worst kept secret about season 40 is now official: Winners at War
I watched it all, but it was easily the least engaged I've ever been for a Survivor finale. Janet getting voted out for being too likable because of the Idol nullifier was predictable. Then Tommy and Lauren were the only ones with a shot to win ... and when Lauren couldn't make fire it was a done deal. For such a huge lifelong fan of the show, how could you not be prepared to make fire? The reunion show did address the Dan situation ... not telling us anything, but at least giving Kellee a chance to talk.

If it wasn't for the novelty of an all winners season, this season might've have broken me for wanting to watch the show. But I'll be back for that. It seems successful players from the show tend to participate in many of the same social events, so I'm hoping the tone will be much lighter and fun. And it's about damn time the show upped the prize money after 20 years (to $2 million).
Old 12-19-19, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
I watched it all, but it was easily the least engaged I've ever been for a Survivor finale.
I watched the episode (which was lame enough) but the reunion was too nauseating to sit through. Watching them celebrate one of the worst of Survivor's 39 seasons was just too much reality for me to deny.
Originally Posted by brainee
... and when Lauren couldn't make fire it was a done deal. For such a huge lifelong fan of the show, how could you not be prepared to make fire?
It was like going on Hell's Kitchen and having no idea how to make risotto or sear a scallop.
Old 12-23-19, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Easily the worst season I have watched.

And FYI, if you purchase a season pass of Survivor through Amazon, it does not include the live reunion.
Old 12-23-19, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by SunMonkey
Easily the worst season I have watched.

And FYI, if you purchase a season pass of Survivor through Amazon, it does not include the live reunion.
I noticed that. Fortunately I had DVRed it. Still thst HAS to be a mistake. I got Season 37 from them and the Reunion was included.
Old 12-30-19, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I noticed that. Fortunately I had DVRed it. Still thst HAS to be a mistake. I got Season 37 from them and the Reunion was included.
It finally popped up as available today. Amazon was terrible at making episodes available in a timely fashion for this season.
Old 12-30-19, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

This was the first time I ever skipped watching the finale. I could not have cared less who won the worst ever season of the show.