Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Sandman TV series ordered by Netflix -- From EPs Neil Gaiman and David S. Goyer

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Sandman TV series ordered by Netflix -- From EPs Neil Gaiman and David S. Goyer

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-19, 09:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The Sandman TV series ordered by Netflix -- From EPs Neil Gaiman and David S. Goyer

Since Netflix now owns the Lucifer show, they should have Sandman appear in the final episodes of Lucifer to help introduce the character who is probably not well known to the masses. Besides, Lucifer left the keys to hell to Morpheus in the comic, maybe they can end Lucifer and start Sandman with that? Either way, I'll still watch.
Old 07-01-19, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 375 Likes on 269 Posts
Re: The Sandman TV series ordered by Netflix -- From EPs Neil Gaiman and David S. Goyer

Netflix doesn’t own Lucifer, Warner still does. They produce it for Netflix, which has the streaming rights.

Last edited by majorjoe23; 07-01-19 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-01-19, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2,044 Likes on 1,250 Posts

I'm excited to see this.
Old 07-01-19, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,976 Likes on 2,829 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I wouldn’t worry about Goyer. It’s probably a contractual thing due to him being attached to a film adaptation at some point.
Yup. Goyer is just an EP. He has a deal with WB and was probably one of the people who helped get this green lighted. But, Allan Heinberg, who wrote Wonder Woman, is the head writer and showrunner.

Goyer created Krypton and he’s not even the showrunner on that series either.

Old 07-01-19, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,085 Posts

Originally Posted by pelenor
Since Netflix now owns the Lucifer show, they should have Sandman appear in the final episodes of Lucifer to help introduce the character who is probably not well known to the masses. Besides, Lucifer left the keys to hell to Morpheus in the comic, maybe they can end Lucifer and start Sandman with that? Either way, I'll still watch.
Netflix doesn’t own Lucifer, Warner still does. They produce it for Netflix, which has the streaming rights.
Lucifer and Sandman are both Warner properties, and Lucifer is actually a spin-off of Sandman -- he first appeared in the Sandman #4 comic book back in the day, so it's probably feasible, though I wouldn't expect it to happen. I hope that the Sandman tv series is its own entity and not tied to any other properties. Though I wouldn't object to Ellis appearing as Lucifer in Sandman when it comes time for the charcater make an appearance.

Old 07-01-19, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

It would be funny and typical in a twisted way, if they ended up making this a crime procedural show. "In a detective's dreams, Morpheus and his sister Death will help give him clues and riddles to help track down serial killers."
Old 07-01-19, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 665 Likes on 462 Posts

Warner still owns Sandman, they're just producing it for Netflix.

Typically shows that do crossovers are those owned by the same producer and are on the same network/provider. It's like how Marvel did crossovers of all its Netflix shows, but not with any of their shows on other networks. Occasionally they may cross networks though, like with the Supergirl/Flash TV crossover while Supergirl was still on CBS.

Maybe instead of putting Morpheus into Lucifer, they put Lucifer into Sandman. Begin Sandman a year or so before the Lucifer show is set, and show what prompted Lucifer to take a vacation.
Old 07-01-19, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Maybe instead of putting Morpheus into Lucifer, they put Lucifer into Sandman. Begin Sandman a year or so before the Lucifer show is set, and show what prompted Lucifer to take a vacation.
I'm assuming you've read the comics because you're quite on the nose about Sandman showing Lucifer leaving Hell.

But I don't think the Lucifer of Lucifer would really fit into the Sandman series. The TV Lucifer is puckish and playful, the Lucifer in the comics is Machiavellian and taciturn. I wouldn't mind Ellis playing Lucifer in Netflix's Sandman, but I'd rather not have the two series directly linked. If he plays Lucifer in Sandman, he should play the scheming bastard from the comics.

The Sandman series is going to be a real balancing act; the further they stray away from the comics, the risk of it being a clusterfuck will increase exponentially. And it's no lie that Gaiman has been a tough nut for Hollywood to crack. See Stardust and American Gods; Good Omens fared better, it was entertaining but I think it was ultimately kind of disposable.
Old 01-28-21, 09:08 AM

Received 4,966 Likes on 3,358 Posts

Ladies, gentlemen, daydreams and nightmares, meet your Morpheus.

Tom Sturridge (Sweetbitter) has nabbed the title role in Netflix’s series adaptation of The Sandman, TVLine has learned.

Sturridge will play Dream, Lord of the Dreaming. In the Neil Gaiman DC graphic novels on which the series is based, Dream oversees the realm that mortals visit when they sleep, and he is known by many names, including Morpheus.

Netflix is calling the series “a rich blend of modern myth and dark fantasy in which contemporary fiction, historical drama and legend are seamlessly interwoven.” The Sandman will follow Dream — as well as those who’ve been affected by him — as he goes about putting right the mistakes he’s made during his very long existence.

The Sandman‘s cast also will include Game of Thrones alumni Gwendoline Christie and Charles Dance, as well as stars from Narcos and The Witches. Read on for character details:

* Christie will play Lucifer, the ruler of Hell. (Fun fact #1: The character of Lucifer Morningstar, as created by Gaiman, was the basis for the lead character in Fox-and-then-Netflix’s Lucifer.)

* Vivienne Acheampong (The Witches) will play Lucienne, the chief librarian of Dream’s realm, and one of his most trusted associates. (Fun fact #2: Like Hinzelmann on Starz adaptation of Gaiman’s American Gods, both Lucienne — aka Lucien — and Lucifer are male in the source material.)

* Dance will play Roderick Burgess, a “charlatan, blackmailer and magician,” per the official character description, whose nefarious dealings in the comics kick the entire story into motion.

* Boyd Holbrook (Narcos, The Fugitive) will play The Corinthian, “an escaped nightmare who wishes to taste all that the world has in store,” per the description.

* Asim Chaudhry (Wonder Woman 1984) and Sanjeev Bhaskar (ITV’s Unforgotten) will play Abel, “the first victim,” and Cain, “the first predator,” respectively. Both characters reside in the Dream Realm.

“For the last 33 years, the Sandman characters have breathed and walked around and talked in my head. I’m unbelievably happy that now, finally, they get to step out of my head and into reality,” Gaiman said via statement. “I can’t wait until the people out there get to see what we’ve been seeing as Dream and the rest of them take flesh, and the flesh belongs to some of the finest actors out there. This is astonishing, and I’m so grateful to the actors and to all of The Sandman collaborators — Netflix, Warner Bros., DC, to [showrunner/executive producer] Allan Heinberg and [executive producer] David Goyer, and the legions of crafters and geniuses on the show — for making the wildest of all my dreams into reality.”

Last edited by dex14; 01-28-21 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-28-21, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They're replacing a nebbish white guy with a black woman. The nebbish white guys aren't going to like that.

Looks like they're going for a diverse cast. Gwendoline Christie should make an interesting Lucifer; sort of makes me think of Tilda Swinton's Gabriel in the Keanu Reeves Constantine film. Casting two Indian comedians as Cain and Abel is kind of inspired.

No idea who Tom Sturridge is, though, he will have big shoes to fill. The only cast members I'm really familiar with are Gwendoline Christie and Charles Dance.

I'm really curious who they're going to cast as Death. That, along with Dream, is one of the big ones.

I can't really think of any actress I would cast as Death; twenty-five years ago I would have said Winona Ryder or maybe Fairuza Balk.

I wouldn't mind seeing Blu Del Barrio (from Star Trek Discovery) being cast as Desire.

Or maybe Bex Taylor Klaus...

They can both be passed off as a Nagel drawing, which is what the character was based off of.

Since they seem to be going for a diversity thing, I wonder if Desire won't end up being a "problematic" (as the kids say these days) character, since Desire is, basically, trans or non-binary, and the closest thing the series has to an actual villain.

Charles Dance would actually have been a good choice for Destiny, but he's playing the Aleister Crowley wannabe.

I would assume the Despair will be a CGI creation unless they completely redesign the character.

Delirium can change appearances, so they could, potentially, use a different actress each time she appears.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (05-29-21)
Old 01-28-21, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,744 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
They're replacing a nebbish white guy with a black woman. The nebbish white guys aren't going to like that.
I dunno about this one, I'll always imagine Lucien as a really tall white guy. This will take some getting used to.
Looks like they're going for a diverse cast. Gwendoline Christie should make an interesting Lucifer; sort of makes me think of Tilda Swinton's Gabriel in the Keanu Reeves Constantine film. Casting two Indian comedians as Cain and Abel is kind of inspired.
I was thinking the same thing regarding the casting of Lucifer. Tilda's casting and performance in the Constantine film was one of the few things I liked about the movie. This could be interesting. And the dude playing Abel is dead on.

I'm really curious who they're going to cast as Death. That, along with Dream, is one of the big ones.
Me too!

I wouldn't mind seeing Blu Del Barrio (from Star Trek Discovery) being cast as Desire.
That would be a great idea, IMO, I could totally see that.

I would assume the Despair will be a CGI creation unless they completely redesign the character.
I'd be ok with CGI as I hope they don't change her character design much. I'll bet they put some clothes on her though, at least some pants.
Old 01-28-21, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 927 Likes on 782 Posts

I don't like the gender switch for Lucifer at all. I'm sure Netflix will do something interesting with the property, but I highly doubt it will resemble Gaiman's comics in any way, shape, or form.
Old 01-31-21, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,110 Likes on 682 Posts

That's not Blu del Barrio in the pic above, it's Ian Alexander, who I guess is also on ST: Discovery, but I know of them from The OA.

ETA: WTF, is anyone else having problems when posting with a quote from another post? Totally screwing up on me.
Old 02-02-21, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm a little nervous about the fact that they haven't announced who is playing Death, unless her character isn't on the show which is crazy if that's the case.
Old 02-03-21, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
I'm a little nervous about the fact that they haven't announced who is playing Death, unless her character isn't on the show which is crazy if that's the case.
I don't think they've announced the casting of any of the Endless other than Dream, have they? I wonder if this is because the first season is basically adapting the "Preludes and Nocturnes" part of the story. If I recall correctly, Death was the first of the other Endless introduced, and that was in the transitional issue between Preludes and A Doll's House (in "The Sound of Her Wings"). That might make sense, as I believe all the other characters that have been cast so far appear in Preludes, except maybe The Corinthian? (I can't remember when he was first introduced in the series, time for a re-re-re-re-read of the comics )
Old 02-04-21, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, Death's first appearance was in "The Sound of Her Wings," the eighth issue of the comic book, which was an epilogue to the first story arc. Her second appearance was in the Element Girl story in, I think, issue nineteen. (Actually, she had a cameo appearance in the Hob Gadling story that took place in the middle of "The Doll's House. I think that was around #14.)

Desire was in "The Doll's House," which ran from #9 to #16.

The rest of the Endless, save the missing brother, were formally introduced in the twent-first issue, the prologue to "Season of Mists."

I have heard that the first season will cover "Preludes and Nocturnes" and "The Doll's House."

Which isn't to say they won't introduce other Endless in the first season; it sounds like they're mixing things around a bit.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 02-05-21 at 06:42 PM.
John Pannozzi (05-29-21)
Old 02-05-21, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh man, if the first season covers the first two story arcs, they better damn well include Death, otherwise the internet might revolt, she's the most popular character in the series.

I remember reading the comic every month and was so excited when a new member of the family was introduced and then being floored by the scene at the beginning of issue 20. And it seemed like forever before they finally revealed who the prodigal was, I remember reading all kinds of theories in Sandman's letter column of who the remaining "D" will be.
Old 02-05-21, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was reading Sandman as it was coming out at the time.

I had figured out who the missing brother was before it was revealed -- I mean, his name pretty much had to start with a "D," and there weren't a lot of options.

It was kind of funny, though, when he was finally was shown in the Special/Annual, they only used his Greek name, so you had to look it up in a dictionary. Unless you knew Greek, which I didn't.
Old 02-05-21, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cultshock
I remember reading the comic every month and was so excited when a new member of the family was introduced and then being floored by the scene at the beginning of issue 20.
Yeah, I love that sequence. It's brilliant writing. So descriptive.

(Three comic book pages, spoilered for size and content, though they don't give away much other than the names and descriptions of six of the characters.)
Spoiler:

"And then there is Death."

This sort of makes me worry for the adaption; so much of this story is rooted in the language and the visual style of the art that I don't know if it can be successfully adapted to film or tv. It's just completely a comic book in every way.

John Pannozzi (05-29-21)
Old 05-26-21, 11:02 AM

Received 4,966 Likes on 3,358 Posts

Old 05-26-21, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 645 Likes on 463 Posts

Why with all the he him her on that chart?
Old 05-26-21, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,427 Likes on 972 Posts

2nd from the left of the top row....
Old 05-26-21, 11:27 PM
Banned

Received 377 Likes on 296 Posts

Johanna Constantine? I guess they couldn’t get the rights to use John?
Old 05-27-21, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Eric F
Johanna Constantine? I guess they couldn’t get the rights to use John?
Never thought of that with all of the changes they seem to be arbitrarily making, but that might be the case if the characters is tied up in the CW DC universe, or a part of some other Justice League Dark project.

In the character descriptions, it seemed to be implied that Johanna Constantine would be appearing in the modern day, so they might be replacing John with her.

Wonder if that means the character will still be alive; her story in the comics took place during the French Revolution where she was had in her possession something important to the overall arc of the series.
John Pannozzi (05-29-21)
Old 05-27-21, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 129 Likes on 77 Posts

Johanna Constantine appears in SANDMAN #13, 29, and 41.

https://sandman.fandom.com/wiki/Johanna_Constantine
John Pannozzi (05-29-21)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.