Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Sandman TV series ordered by Netflix -- From EPs Neil Gaiman and David S. Goyer

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Sandman TV series ordered by Netflix -- From EPs Neil Gaiman and David S. Goyer

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-13, 08:43 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts
Neil Gaiman's Sandman

UPDATED: Gordon-Levitt just posted this message on his official facebook page: "Ladies and gentlemen, I'm incredibly honored to be working with David Goyer, Warner Bros, and Neil Gaiman on SANDMAN. ‪#‎Prelude‬"

EXCLUSIVE: Joseph Gordon-Levitt is finalizing a deal to produce Sandman at Warner Bros with David Goyer, who pitched his treatment for the Neil Gaiman comic book classic. It has been rumored that Gordon-Levitt might star, and the deal he’s making attaches him as the protagonist. I’m told that in addition to that, he’s eyeing the project as a directing vehicle. Gordon-Levitt made his feature directorial debut on the well received Sundance pic Don Jon, but this would be a considerable step up in scope and scale. They will hire a writer shortly.

The Sandman series shifts between horror and fantasy, and the central character is Morpheus, the personification of dreams. After being held captive 70 years, Morpheus escapes, gains revenge and rebuilds his crumbling kingdom while trying to adapt to the times. Warner Bros has tried for some time to get a script right, but they may have finally cracked it. Gordon-Levitt appeared to end The Dark Knight Rises as heir apparent to the Batsuit, but obviously they have gone another way and set Ben Affleck as the Caped Crusader in Batman Vs. Superman. Warner Bros is high on Gordon-Levitt after he starred in the Batfilm and Inception, and this would be a highly original potential franchise, if Goyer, Gordon-Levitt and Warner Bros could pull it off. It has that cool factor like Looper did. Gordon-Levitt next stars in another seminal graphic novel-based film, Sin City: A Dame To Kill For, which Robert Rodriguez and creator Frank Miller helmed. Gordon-Levitt is repped by WME.
Old 12-16-13, 08:52 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Neil Gaiman's Sandman from Joseph Gordon-Levitt & David Goyer

I would really prefer someone with a few more films under their belt to direct something as momentous as Sandman. To be honest, it should be a series, not a movie.
Old 12-16-13, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm VERY iffy on David Goyer just out of the gate. It's a shame Adult Swim and the anime boom died on its feet, this would've fit there perfectly.
Old 12-16-13, 09:03 PM
Banned by request

Yes, Goyer is another concern. I would hope that whoever makes this would consult closely with Neil Gaiman.
Old 12-16-13, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did you just agree with me about something ?! Hasn't Gaiman done some screenwriting himself? Why not at least have him as a co-writer?
Old 12-16-13, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm concerned but excited.

[obligatory]Should be a HBO series.[/obligatory]
Old 12-16-13, 09:42 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Mod Note: Merging with "Sinister Six" thread.
Old 12-16-13, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Goyer is always concerning, the Dark Knight movies turned out well despite him, same goes for Dark City.
Old 12-16-13, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RichC2
Goyer is always concerning, the Dark Knight movies turned out well despite him, same goes for Dark City.
Nolan did major rewrites on Batman Begins, you can still spot his stiff dialogue a mile away.
Old 12-16-13, 11:55 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Goyer. That's my immediate discomfort there. Dunno if JGL actually can direct something like that. Props to him for trying it if he does. Also I'd like to know how attached Gaiman is to this cuz that's a big deal to me with Sandman.
Old 12-17-13, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Given what I've seen of Goyer's accredited work, I don't think he was the right choice for this project. Warner Bros. just seems to consider him the de facto go-to "comic book" guy in Hollywood. Usually that means he's willing to play ball with dumb ideas from the studio execs.
Old 12-17-13, 08:03 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Mod Note: Merging with "Sinister Six" thread.
Its not the Spider-Man villain named Sandman. Its the Sandman from Punch Out!

Old 12-17-13, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

While Joseph Gordon-Levitt is a good actor, he doesn't really feel right for Morpheus. Everything I see him in, he seems sort of goofy and doesn't seem to have the gravity to play an austere, dour character like Morpheus.

I'd much rather see someone like Benedict Cumberbatch (and, Christ, he's in fucking everything now) or, in a pinch, Tom Hiddleston or Christopher Eccleston.
Old 12-17-13, 03:39 PM
Banned by request

I don't understand why Laurence Fishburne isn't reprising the role.
Old 12-17-13, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

If anyone can take the writing of Neil Gaiman and make it terrible it is Goyer.
Old 12-17-13, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I definitely hear Morpheus having a British accent. But I don't feel like Death should have one.
Old 12-17-13, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I definitely hear Morpheus having a British accent. But I don't feel like Death should have one.
I would have to agree on the accents. Morpheus needs to be some rail-thin, strung-out British actor. Death always felt American to me.
Old 12-17-13, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've always imagined Morpheus, maybe because of the way Klein letters him, as having this very raspy type of voice.
Old 12-17-13, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Time for me to finally read this comic.
Old 12-17-13, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Time for me to finally read this comic.
I wish I could read these again for the first time. Have fun. It's an amazing journey.
Old 02-27-14, 05:42 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Jack Thorne has been set to script Sandman at Warner Bros based on the pitch that David Goyer made for his treatment for the Neil Gaiman comic book classic. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is producing with Goyer and the hope is for him to star and possibly direct. Gordon-Levitt made his feature directorial debut on the well-received Sundance pic Don Jon, but this would be a considerable step up in scope and scale. Gaiman is exec producer. Thorne scripted How I Live Now.

The Sandman series shifts between horror and fantasy, and the central character is Morpheus, the personification of dreams. After being held captive 70 years, Morpheus escapes, gains revenge and rebuilds his crumbling kingdom while trying to adapt to the times. Warner Bros has long tried to crack the subject matter, and there is optimism that Goyer did that. The potential payoff is a highly original potential franchise, if Goyer, Gordon-Levitt and Warner Bros could pull it off. It has that cool factor like Looper did. Gordon-Levitt next stars in another seminal graphic novel-based film, Sin City: A Dame To Kill For, which Robert Rodriguez and creator Frank Miller helmed. Thorne is repped by WME and Casarotto Ramsay.
Old 08-23-14, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Joseph Gordon-Levitt Working on ‘Sandman’ Script With Nolan’s ‘Batman’ Team
AUGUST 23, 2014 | 01:40PM PT
Maane Khatchatourian

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is one of the newcomers in “Sin City: A Dame to Kill” and recently wrapped Robert Zemeckis’ 3D drama “The Walk,” but there’s another buzzed about adaptation on audiences’ minds.

According to Gordon-Levitt, “Sandman” is still in the early stages of development. The multi-hyphenate actor will direct and produce the film from a script by David S. Goyer, based on Neil Gaiman’s acclaimed comic book series.

“Right now we’re working on a script,” he told Moviefone. “It’s me and Goyer and the screenwriter and Neil Gaiman, as well as the good folks at DC and Warner Bros. It’s a really cool team of people. It’s a lot of the same people who worked on the Nolan ‘Batman’ movies.”

Unlike “Sin City,” which was written as a graphic novel, Gordon-Levitt said “Sandman” is a more “complicated adaptation” because it consists of 75 episodic issues.

“There’s a reason people have been trying and failing to adapt ‘Sandman’ for the past 20 years,” he said.

He also said that the writing team is conceptualizing the Sandman universe as a whole.

“It’s such a huge world,” Gordon-Levitt said. “We’re definitely talking about in terms of a whole world.”
Too bad a big part of Batman was Christopher and Jonathan Nolan. Even with Gaiman involved... it's a tough road ahead.
Old 08-24-14, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even then, I really don't want Sandman to be anything like Nolan's Batman franchise.

I just don't trust DC/WB to do anything for this in theaters other than make a piss poor adaptation. And Goyer is an automatic fear of this project.

I really wish they just went the tv series route. Just wait till American Gods gets off the ground before trying to make a movie out of this material. It just feels like there's no way it wouldn't fail.
Old 08-24-14, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Even then, I really don't want Sandman to be anything like Nolan's Batman franchise.

I just don't trust DC/WB to do anything for this in theaters other than make a piss poor adaptation. And Goyer is an automatic fear of this project.

I really wish they just went the tv series route. Just wait till American Gods gets off the ground before trying to make a movie out of this material. It just feels like there's no way it wouldn't fail.
A television series, like Game of Thrones, would be ideal, but it would be a budget buster. Sandman has crosses over between so many time periods, mythic places, and strange creatures that I don't know if a tv series could do it justice.

I fear that WB is going to want a dumbed-down Sandman franchise that appeals to the masses and merchandisers. My concern here is that they're going to strip away all of the mythological references in an attempt to make it into some kind of Harry Potter/Hunger Games/Twilight kind of franchise... Think a "Nu52" Sandman comic, written by David Goyer.

And Goyer's involvement doesn't inspire a lot of confidence, though it is great to know that Gaiman is involved.
Old 08-24-14, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
While Joseph Gordon-Levitt is a good actor, he doesn't really feel right for Morpheus. Everything I see him in, he seems sort of goofy and doesn't seem to have the gravity to play an austere, dour character like Morpheus.

I'd much rather see someone like Benedict Cumberbatch (and, Christ, he's in fucking everything now) or, in a pinch, Tom Hiddleston or Christopher Eccleston.
Cumberbatch would be perfect!

Christopher Walken would have been my choice ten years ago.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.