Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Sandman TV series ordered by Netflix -- From EPs Neil Gaiman and David S. Goyer

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Sandman TV series ordered by Netflix -- From EPs Neil Gaiman and David S. Goyer

Old 06-30-19, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's also from the writer of the 2017 Wonder Woman movie, who will be the showrunner.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...etflix-1220761

The drama, from Warner Bros. TV, landed at the streamer with what sources describe as a massive financial commitment and DC Entertainment's most-expensive TV foray ever.Neil Gaiman's beloved Vertigo comic Sandman is finally coming to the screen.

More than three years after New Line's failed attempt to turn the graphic novel into a feature film, Netflix has signed what sources describe as a massive financial deal with Warner Bros. Television to adapt the best-seller into a live-action TV series. Sources familiar with the deal note that it is the most expensive TV series that DC Entertainment has ever done.

Allan Heinberg (Wonder Woman, ABC's The Catch, Grey's Anatomy) is set to write and serve as showrunner on the straight-to-series drama. Gaiman, who created the ongoing monthly comic, will exec produce alongside David Goyer. Gaiman and Goyer were both attached to New Line's most recent attempts to adapt Sandman for the big screen.

Netflix and Warners declined comment as a formal deal has not yet closed. An episode count was not immediately available.

The Netflix take represents the first Sandman TV series after numerous efforts to adapt Gaiman's horror, fantasy and mythology tale about Morpheus, the Lord of Dreams, and the Endless, the powerful group of siblings that includes Destiny, Death, Destruction, Despair, Desire and Delirium (as well as Dream).

Attempts to turn Sandman into a feature film franchise started in the 1990s with Warner Bros. — the parent company of Vertigo, the former imprint of DC Comics. The film went through multiple incarnations and writers in the 1990s and early 2000s and eventually toiled away in development purgatory. Gaiman (whose work has been adapted for TV with Starz's American Gods, Amazon's Good Omens) announced in late 2013 that he was teaming with Joseph Gordon-Levitt for a feature film that wound up being set up at Warner Bros.-owned New Line. Gordon-Levitt was set to star and direct before bailing on the film following creative differences with the studio in March 2016. Eric Heisserer, the last screenwriter attached to New Line's Sandman, said in November 2016 that he was no longer attached to the film.

"I … came to the conclusion that the best version of this property exists as an HBO series or limited series, not as a feature film, not even as a trilogy," Heisserer told iO9 in November 2016. "The structure of the feature film really doesn't mesh with this. So I went back and said here's the work that I've done. This isn’t where it should be. It needs to go to TV."

Sources say Warners, which controls the IP, took the Sandman TV pitch to multiple outlets, including corporate sibling HBO. The premium cable network did not make a play for the series given the massive price tag attached (and likely number of other big world shows in the works) and Netflix snapped it up as the streamer continues to make an active play for massive IP that could be turned into subscriber-friendly franchises a la Amazon's Lord of the Rings and HBO's Game of Thrones.

Since parting ways with Marvel, Netflix has aggressively pursued big-name IP — like Magic: The Gathering, The Chronicles of Narnia and the works of Roald Dahl — as the streamer courts new subscribers with exclusive new takes on beloved franchises.

The Sandman deal will provide a financial windfall to Warners, which is in final negotiations for a new film and TV pact with J.J. Abrams that could be worth north of $500 million. Sources note that the studio opted to sell it to a third party in a bid to bring additional revenue to the company rather than placing it at its forthcoming streaming service. The studio will next look to re-sign prolific comedy producer Chuck Lorre as the Big Bang Theory co-creator's current deal expires in 2020.

Heinberg is repped by Hansen Jacobson; Goyer, whose TV credits include Syfy's Krypton and NBC's Constantine(both based on DC characters), is with WME and Bloom Hergott; Gaiman is with CAA.
Old 06-30-19, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: The Sandman TV series ordered by Netflix -- From EPs Neil Gaiman and David S. Goyer

Goyer...shit. I am out.
Old 06-30-19, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The Sandman TV series ordered by Netflix -- From EPs Neil Gaiman and David S. Goyer

What? Weird. Ok, so their Marvel shows get cancelled (obviously because Disney wants to migrate all their content over to their Disney+ service), then Warner starts a DCU service and Netflix gets a DC show which would clearly be a perfect fit for DCU? I suspect DCU won't be around much longer...
Old 07-01-19, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
Goyer...shit. I am out.
Tell me about it. Why does this guy keep getting jobs? He's milked the success of his involvement with Nolan's Batman trilogy for FAR too long...his best work since then hasn't been anything better than mediocre.

As for DCU, it's almost certainly being folded into the upcoming Warners' app by the end of 2020. As for why the show isn't going there first, Warners can make much more money with it on another platform. It's one of the reasons the DCU app right now doesn't feature the full library of DC material.
Old 07-01-19, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
What? Weird. Ok, so their Marvel shows get cancelled (obviously because Disney wants to migrate all their content over to their Disney+ service), then Warner starts a DCU service and Netflix gets a DC show which would clearly be a perfect fit for DCU? I suspect DCU won't be around much longer...
This is hardly a show that would be popular or get eyes on DCU. WB is probably making more off the licensing fee than they would've made from subscription fees.
Old 07-01-19, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

I wouldn’t worry about Goyer. It’s probably a contractual thing due to him being attached to a film adaptation at some point.
Old 07-01-19, 09:31 AM

Since Netflix now owns the Lucifer show, they should have Sandman appear in the final episodes of Lucifer to help introduce the character who is probably not well known to the masses. Besides, Lucifer left the keys to hell to Morpheus in the comic, maybe they can end Lucifer and start Sandman with that? Either way, I'll still watch.
Old 07-01-19, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Netflix doesn’t own Lucifer, Warner still does. They produce it for Netflix, which has the streaming rights.

Last edited by majorjoe23; 07-01-19 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-01-19, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm excited to see this.
Old 07-01-19, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
I wouldn’t worry about Goyer. It’s probably a contractual thing due to him being attached to a film adaptation at some point.
Yup. Goyer is just an EP. He has a deal with WB and was probably one of the people who helped get this green lighted. But, Allan Heinberg, who wrote Wonder Woman, is the head writer and showrunner.

Goyer created Krypton and he’s not even the showrunner on that series either.

Old 07-01-19, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by pelenor View Post
Since Netflix now owns the Lucifer show, they should have Sandman appear in the final episodes of Lucifer to help introduce the character who is probably not well known to the masses. Besides, Lucifer left the keys to hell to Morpheus in the comic, maybe they can end Lucifer and start Sandman with that? Either way, I'll still watch.
Netflix doesn’t own Lucifer, Warner still does. They produce it for Netflix, which has the streaming rights.
Lucifer and Sandman are both Warner properties, and Lucifer is actually a spin-off of Sandman -- he first appeared in the Sandman #4 comic book back in the day, so it's probably feasible, though I wouldn't expect it to happen. I hope that the Sandman tv series is its own entity and not tied to any other properties. Though I wouldn't object to Ellis appearing as Lucifer in Sandman when it comes time for the charcater make an appearance.

Old 07-01-19, 08:23 PM

It would be funny and typical in a twisted way, if they ended up making this a crime procedural show. "In a detective's dreams, Morpheus and his sister Death will help give him clues and riddles to help track down serial killers."
Old 07-01-19, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Warner still owns Sandman, they're just producing it for Netflix.

Typically shows that do crossovers are those owned by the same producer and are on the same network/provider. It's like how Marvel did crossovers of all its Netflix shows, but not with any of their shows on other networks. Occasionally they may cross networks though, like with the Supergirl/Flash TV crossover while Supergirl was still on CBS.

Maybe instead of putting Morpheus into Lucifer, they put Lucifer into Sandman. Begin Sandman a year or so before the Lucifer show is set, and show what prompted Lucifer to take a vacation.
Old 07-01-19, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Maybe instead of putting Morpheus into Lucifer, they put Lucifer into Sandman. Begin Sandman a year or so before the Lucifer show is set, and show what prompted Lucifer to take a vacation.
I'm assuming you've read the comics because you're quite on the nose about Sandman showing Lucifer leaving Hell.

But I don't think the Lucifer of Lucifer would really fit into the Sandman series. The TV Lucifer is puckish and playful, the Lucifer in the comics is Machiavellian and taciturn. I wouldn't mind Ellis playing Lucifer in Netflix's Sandman, but I'd rather not have the two series directly linked. If he plays Lucifer in Sandman, he should play the scheming bastard from the comics.

The Sandman series is going to be a real balancing act; the further they stray away from the comics, the risk of it being a clusterfuck will increase exponentially. And it's no lie that Gaiman has been a tough nut for Hollywood to crack. See Stardust and American Gods; Good Omens fared better, it was entertaining but I think it was ultimately kind of disposable.