TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Holey Moley -- Yup, it’s definitely Summer

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-22, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Re: Holey Moley -- Yup, it’s definitely Summer

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
Riggle: I am going to go vomit out my butt.
Then “being told” he can’t say that but he can say drop a hot deuce.
Old 05-26-22, 02:09 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I just learned Pepe is a prawn.
Old 05-26-22, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

The ending of the last round for this past episode was unexpected. I still can’t believe Jenna Barkheimer lost because of that putt.
Old 05-27-22, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 279 Likes on 233 Posts

I think she got the yips, she was beat by an older woman who just got crazy lucky with her putts, and Jenna was probably not expecting her competitor to do so well. I can see that throwing someone a bit off-balance and messing with your head enough to affect your game.
The following users liked this post:
emachine12 (05-27-22)
Old 05-27-22, 02:13 AM
Banned

That 63yr old lady should just jump right in the water every time.

Good putting tho.
Old 06-10-22, 04:41 PM
Banned

Someone not only made it through the donuts this episode and someone else successfully did the trapeze, something I never thought I’d see.

I will say, last episode when the huge muppet ate the rabbit who was saying, “Help me” was one of the most disturbing things I’ve ever seen.
Old 06-10-22, 05:38 PM

Yeah, this episode was nuts. Riggle going gaga over the football player on The Distractor (speaking of, he looked like he was having way too much fun tripping up the contestants), the donut guy, the stunt guy who did what more contestants should do on the trapeze obstacle, try to grab the upper parts of the dummy, which seem to be allowed. Also, the hole in one, and other awesome putts, just a real solid episode.
Old 06-11-22, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, this episode was nuts. Riggle going gaga over the football player on The Distractor (speaking of, he looked like he was having way too much fun tripping up the contestants), the donut guy, the stunt guy who did what more contestants should do on the trapeze obstacle, try to grab the upper parts of the dummy, which seem to be allowed. Also, the hole in one, and other awesome putts, just a real solid episode.
To be fair, Riggle is a HUGE Chiefs fan, and Travis Kelce is one of their best players.
Old 06-11-22, 12:27 PM
Banned

I liked how the stuntman guy ran through the windmills like nothing after a hole in one just to show off.
Old 07-13-22, 07:10 PM

No spoilers, but the final ep of this season is nuts. Lets just say the odds against a certain contestant pulling off what they did in this episode have to be astronomically high.
Old 07-13-22, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 213 Likes on 189 Posts

No spoilers, but the final ep of this season is nuts. Lets just say the odds against a certain contestant pulling off what they did in this episode have to be astronomically high.
A mediocre season, -mostly because of the deadly-dull Muppets material, -and it performed horribly in the overnight ratings. However, that player's performance was amazing.
Old 07-14-22, 06:13 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts

The contestants for the most part this season were pretty boring. Like last week was good when you had Boca Joe and the weird guy with the long hair, it gives Riggle ane Tessitore something to work with.

The Muppets were a bad idea.
Old 07-15-22, 10:51 AM

I am still confused why they added The Muppets to this show, as an occasional cross-promotion bit in at most 2-3 episodes, I can see that, but on every episode it just made no sense. Also, Jeannie Mai singing ABC Save Us was admittedly one of the funniest things I have seen in years on TV.

Unless those quirky contestants turn out to be great at the game, they add nothing to my enjoyment of the show. I have seen enough folks who dress up outlandishly, or perform some odd ball bit in front of the judges on shows like AGT that just have me shaking my head and wishing that these attention seeking type of individuals were never put in front of the camera.

It is neat to see a fairly normal player like the older woman who ultimately won go all the way in a show like this. Was I happy when she knocked out of contention two pretty telegenic ladies, no...they were good looking, and talented and of course I would not mind seeing more of them during the show (my reasons are both shallow and respectful for wanting to see more of them, they combine good looks with talent, which is way hot), but I would not hope for a ton more players like that weird guy to show up in future seasons, I will take an old and boring but surprisingly talented player, along with a good looking and talented player every time over players like Boca Joe or that weird guy (he was kind-of an off-kilter critter, I think he said he was a children's book critic, did not care for his antics on the show, breaking the putting club, etc.).

I am in for another season, but hope that The Muppets is one and done with this season.
Old 07-15-22, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

I generally enjoy The Muppets but they added nothing to the season, doesn't really help that I can't stand the current Kermit. Overall though this is a fun Summer show that is nice to watch on Hulu without the commercials. That old lady was entertaining as she was absolutely brutal on those obstacles but still ended up winning it all with those two amazing shots.
Old 07-15-22, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I think the Muppets would have been fine if they just popped up every episode for a quick throwaway gag or segment. There didn't need to be a storyline with them that ran for the whole season. Ultimately, it felt really unnecessary.

I enjoy the show for the commentator interplay and some of the physical humor, but I'm surprised to say that I probably get the most enjoyment seeing when players make really good putts. That's why I thought this season actually had one of the better contestant pools. They overall seemed much stronger than previous seasons. That's what made the finale so strong. Those holes in one all got a reaction from me. Fun end to the season.
The following users liked this post:
Inhumans99 (07-17-22)
Old 07-18-22, 06:33 PM
Banned

They couldn’t even roll out Steph Curry for the final episode? Kind of a disappointment.

The muppet stuff was a drag- this show is best when Rob and Joe riff off each other- if they have to deal with a script most of the time it just brings the show down.

And yes, putting wins out every time. Apparently it doesn’t matter how bad of an athlete you are, just as long as you can get through the obstacles without breaking a hip. I bet the woman who won calculated that before she signed up.
Old 07-19-22, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

This show needs a re-vamping of sorts. Love Rob & Joe but the contestants are over-the-top asses who have been "playing mini golf since I was 5"... yet putt like they've never done it in their life. The Muppets was nonsense and I'd love to see some new course holes. I love when the people fall but it's also pretty exciting when they don't.... which is so few and far between.
Old 07-19-22, 11:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rob V
This show needs a re-vamping of sorts. Love Rob & Joe but the contestants are over-the-top asses who have been "playing mini golf since I was 5"... yet putt like they've never done it in their life. The Muppets was nonsense and I'd love to see some new course holes. I love when the people fall but it's also pretty exciting when they don't.... which is so few and far between.
Guaranteed they encourage people to ham it up and act like jerks.
Old 07-19-22, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Guaranteed they encourage people to ham it up and act like jerks.
Yeah. Just like Ninja Warrior used to do before it was more established as a real competition.
Old 07-19-22, 12:15 PM

Rob, I wanted to pull this from your post: "I love when the people fall but it's also pretty exciting when they don't.... which is so few and far between.", because I agree that if is pretty darn cool when we see someone grab the feather from The Pecker, or make it through the Donut holes, or do not spin off into the water on Polecano, and we do not get enough of that.

I am willing to bet that behind the scenes there is a lot of chatter and feedback about this season. It felt over-stuffed and we need to see a return to form (so less Muppets or similar type bits during the show), some more fun back/forth between Joe and Rob, and a cutaway to a super quick interview of a player or two by Jeannie Mai on the course itself (the time spent on her interviews with the contestants means there is less time for us to see a player yell Boca Joe that is put on replay so we hear them sound foolish 4 times in a row).

The next season, assuming we get one, could still be a fun watch.

As to the contestants who say they have been playing all their life and yet they whiff getting the ball past the hazard zone (ball falls into the drink) on the Hole #2, yeah...that has me shaking my head and wondering about the supposed acumen of said contestant on the mini gold course. The flip side is that it really is neat to see some young and old players just amaze you with how awesome some of their putts are (I love it when a long put has to go over a bump and makes it in, seeing that never gets old).
Old 07-19-22, 01:18 PM
Banned

Most of the time it seems the pro golfers are worse than the average players. No pro golfer has won yet. Even the guy who owns a miniature golf course lost (although he did make it to the final round).
Old 07-19-22, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 213 Likes on 189 Posts

I am willing to bet that behind the scenes there is a lot of chatter and feedback about this season. It felt over-stuffed and we need to see a return to form (so less Muppets or similar type bits during the show), some more fun back/forth between Joe and Rob, and a cutaway to a super quick interview of a player or two by Jeannie Mai on the course itself (the time spent on her interviews with the contestants means there is less time for us to see a player yell Boca Joe that is put on replay so we hear them sound foolish 4 times in a row).

The next season, assuming we get one, could still be a fun watch.
It's been a real lackluster season, -mostly because of The Muppets (who are a pale imitation of what they used to be). I'm betting the show is over. The finale did badly in the overnight ratings and this season was shot a year ago.
Old 07-19-22, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I don't think it's expected to come back. The show I believe was greenlit as a courtesy to Steph Curry and his wife, who has some sort of production company in Hollywood.
Old 07-20-22, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

^^ That's a bummer... it's a nice, light summer show. With just some small, low-production tweaks (more Rob & Joe and less muppets), it could be S2 great again.
Old 07-20-22, 02:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I don't think it's expected to come back. The show I believe was greenlit as a courtesy to Steph Curry and his wife, who has some sort of production company in Hollywood.
I liked the show. It's better than that stupid Jenga ripoff Final Straw show that's on ABC.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.