TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S8E05) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Bells” -- 5/12/19

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-19, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S8E05) -- 78 minute episode -- “The Bells” -- 5/12/19

Originally Posted by B.A.

I meant HBO screwed up by not firing D&D when the network found out they were going to wrap it up in this manner.
Why would they have fired them? They did absolutely nothing wrong. They thought they had 13 more hours of story to tell when they decided to end the show 2 years ago, so that's what they did and HBO allowed them to do it. Weiss and Benioff shepherded one of the most popular and talked about shows in the network's history and they should have been fired because of some unhappy book fans who didn't get their desired ending? Fuck that. They are television writers, not novelists and they have a right to end the show they seem fit.
Old 05-13-19, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

”The Last Watch” documentary airs May 26th
Old 05-13-19, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Why would they have fired them? They did absolutely nothing wrong. They thought they had 13 more hours of story to tell when they decided to end the show 2 years ago, so that's what they did and HBO allowed them to it. Weiss and Benioff shepherded one of the most popular and talked about shows in the network's history and they should have been fired because of some unhappy book fans who didn't get their desired ending? Fuck that. They are television writers, not novelists and they have a right to end the show they seem fit.
I’m not a book fan.

people get fired all of the time when aren’t on the same page as their employers.

If HBO really wanted more of the series down the stretch - they should have gone in another direction with the “creative” staff of the show.
Old 05-13-19, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Movie producer Megan Ellison, the founder of Annapura Pictures, put out a pretty nasty tweet to Weiss and Benioff.

But she later backtracked. I think she realized her comments were pretty unprofessional.

Old 05-13-19, 09:06 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

I think The Hound had the best story arc in the show. And Rory McCann played the shit out of him...
Old 05-13-19, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I think the fact that folks are pissed at Dany's "turn" is quite hilarious. People, again, made the mistake of latching on to this "poor" little girl of a character. Then she turns around and shits in their cereal. Dany is aesthetically pleasing and she's gone through a lot, but she's been building to this since the beginning. The obvious foreshadowing should be obvious, but folks are still like nope, lalalalalala, can't hear you!
Old 05-13-19, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I think the fact that folks are pissed at Dany's "turn" is quite hilarious. People, again, made the mistake of latching on to this "poor" little girl of a character. Then she turns around and shits in their cereal. Dany is aesthetically pleasing and she's gone through a lot, but she's been building to this since the beginning. The obvious foreshadowing should be obvious, but folks are still like nope, lalalalalala, can't hear you!
Ignoring the bells and roasting Cersei anyway...sure. But ignoring the bells and murdering a bunch of innocent families...no they hadn't earned that yet. I tend to agree with how Sepinwall put it.

"Dany’s descent into genocidal madness didn’t exactly come out of nowhere. Throughout her travels across Essos, her preferred solution to problems was to burn them and all the people associated with them. She’s impetuous, narcissistic and one of the last members of a bloodline with a history of doing things exactly like what she did to King’s Landing. But the manner in which it played out this season felt sloppy in the way these last few seasons have often been. It’s not just about characters like Euron and Bronn and Jaime surviving point-blank dragon-fire attacks, or Varys (RIP) being able to teleport across continents. It’s that Benioff and Weiss have been a lot less diligent at getting the characters — and the Mother of Dragons in particular — to the planned endpoint. They’ve told us where this is going, but they haven’t really shown the work necessary to bring her from “erratic but ultimately well-meaning” to “will roast thousands of innocent civilians alive just because she feels like it.” A version where she ignored the bells and flew Drogon straight through Cersei’s balcony would have felt of a piece with where the story had taken us to this point. What she did instead required at least another half of a regular-length GoT season to feel earned. But the showrunners needed their queen to get mad in a hurry, and so she did."

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-r...inwall-834528/
Old 05-13-19, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Does anyone think Cersei and Jaime still alive?
Zero chance. Their story is done.
Old 05-13-19, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

To me, Dany’s turn was about as earned as if Walter White had walked into a school and gunned down several dozen kids. With exploding bullets. I mean, the name of the show gave away he was a bad guy, who could complain if he did something bad?
Old 05-13-19, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I've fucking been telling you guys Dany would turn into the Mad Queen, but noooooooooooo...

#BURNTHEMALL
*police activity on twitter increases after #BURNTHEMALL trends on twitter Sunday night
Old 05-13-19, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,210 Likes on 4,236 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher
To me, Dany’s turn was about as earned as if Walter White had walked into a school and gunned down several dozen kids. With exploding bullets. I mean, the name of the show gave away he was a bad guy, who could complain if he did something bad?
I wasn't crazy about the heel turn, but seriously has someone put together a compilation of all the times a character has mentioned the possibility of Dany burning a city to the ground? It must have been two dozen times over the years. And that's not counting Bran's vision of the dragon over the city. Anyone who wasn't fairly sure some variation of this was coming was fooling themselves or just not paying attention. I understand the "Not Earned" argument, but it was hardly out of nowhere.

Last edited by Decker; 05-13-19 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Bran, not Brian. Stupid auto-correct.
Old 05-13-19, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

^ Indeed. Denial is a hellavuh drug.
Old 05-13-19, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 359 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
The most surprising part of this episode...that I felt kinda bad for Varys even though he has always been such a snake.
I found Varys' behavior unbelievable. He was an excellent spy who was previously a "master of whisperers" and yet he was very clumsily committing open treason. It reminded me of Petyr Baelish--once so clever, and then so stupid when he needed to be for the plot to be pushed forward.

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Watching this season has felt like reading a Wikipedia synopsis. I don't don't necessarily have an issue with the broad strokes of the narrative, but all the detail and nuance is gone. Key story points and character development are just yada yada'd away in an effort to cram as much plot as possible into these last few episodes. How many days do you think Lena Headey was even on set this season? 2? 3? By the end she was barely even a character anymore. She was more or less just an abstract presence. Thinking back to the days when she was matching wits with the Tyrells or grieving the loss of her children and I can't help but wonder what exactly went wrong. I could say the same about any number of characters, but she stuck out the most to me.

I know it was unrealistic to think this show was going to run for 10-12 years, but that's really what they needed to do the story justice. I still enjoy watching it, and taken out of context last night was at times pretty great, but wow how the mighty have fallen.
I agree. Lena Headey drank a lot of wine while looking out of a window, but she wasn't really a character this season. And a lot of the plot was grossly set up, but the details were too rushed and the turn not really believable. I knew that was where they were heading, because it was pretty much telegraphed, but it didn't seem earned.

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Ignoring the bells and roasting Cersei anyway...sure. But ignoring the bells and murdering a bunch of innocent families...no they hadn't earned that yet. I tend to agree with how Sepinwall put it.

"Dany’s descent into genocidal madness didn’t exactly come out of nowhere. Throughout her travels across Essos, her preferred solution to problems was to burn them and all the people associated with them. She’s impetuous, narcissistic and one of the last members of a bloodline with a history of doing things exactly like what she did to King’s Landing. But the manner in which it played out this season felt sloppy in the way these last few seasons have often been. It’s not just about characters like Euron and Bronn and Jaime surviving point-blank dragon-fire attacks, or Varys (RIP) being able to teleport across continents. It’s that Benioff and Weiss have been a lot less diligent at getting the characters — and the Mother of Dragons in particular — to the planned endpoint. They’ve told us where this is going, but they haven’t really shown the work necessary to bring her from “erratic but ultimately well-meaning” to “will roast thousands of innocent civilians alive just because she feels like it.” A version where she ignored the bells and flew Drogon straight through Cersei’s balcony would have felt of a piece with where the story had taken us to this point. What she did instead required at least another half of a regular-length GoT season to feel earned. But the showrunners needed their queen to get mad in a hurry, and so she did."

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-r...inwall-834528/
Exactly. I have the feeling the writers got a rough idea from GRRM where he was heading, and then clumsily rushed this together without any nuance or consistency.
Old 05-13-19, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by tasha99
I found Varys' behavior unbelievable. He was an excellent spy who was previously a "master of whisperers" and yet he was very clumsily committing open treason. It reminded me of Petyr Baelish--once so clever, and then so stupid when he needed to be for the plot to be pushed forward.
Sloppy for sure but in his defense, what are the odds the bitch isn't going to eat? Like 90% chance she's poisoned to death. Also Dany's actions pretty much validated Varys' instincts and urgency.
Old 05-13-19, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 359 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Finisher
Sloppy for sure but in his defense, what are the odds the bitch isn't going to eat? Like 90% chance she's poisoned to death. Also Dany's actions pretty much validated Varys' instincts and urgency.
The poisoning attempt was more believable. Talking to Jon Snow and Tyrion openly against Dany seemed naive. There's whispering, and then there's outright saying treasonous things to her closest allies. Seemed dumb to me.
Old 05-14-19, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

All those people Danny burned, including the children, were the ones cheering when Ned lost his head.

Just saying.
Old 05-14-19, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
All those people Danny burned, including the children, were the ones cheering when Ned lost his head.
Every single one of them? Ned sure had quite the turnout for his execution!
Old 05-14-19, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 05-14-19, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

I think the problem here is that Benioff and Weiss (and, yes, probably Martin, assuming they're following his planned ending) are trying so hard to subvert expectations that they're actually ruining the story arcs for characters that have been built up for seven seasons. So far, I think only Jorah and The Hound have met satisfactory ends. D&D should really be ashamed of themselves when it comes to Jaime and Cersei...especially Cersei, who was given absolutely NOTHING to do in Season 7 short of standing around and appearing menacing.

As for Dany, I'm not surprised at that turn, but they should have done a better job of leading up to her "madness." Isn't she the one who said she didn't want to be queen of the ashes? That's exactly what she is now.

I still think Sansa gets the Iron Throne. Dany won't survive to rule it. Jon and Arya don't want it. Tyrion would never be accepted by the masses.
Old 05-14-19, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Just watched this last night. For starters, I wholly agree with this:

Originally Posted by lopper
Best episode of the season, which isn’t saying much considering how low the bar has been set by previous episodes.
In my post-episode mental spitballing, my mind also went here:

Originally Posted by whotony
Varys looked like he was writing a handful of notes that revealed Jon to be the true hier to the throne.
I wonder who he sent them to.
100%. In the opening scene, you can see that he is telling someone the truth about Jon's lineage. That means he was not trading notes with Sansa since Varys would know that she already knows this. I get the impression that he was either sending out ravens all over the place so that the truth got out or, more likely, that he was having an extended conversation via note with one or two people. He was forced to burn his last note in the conversation just before his end. If this is the case, whomever he was talking to will almost certainly have some impact in the final episode. However, who could this be?

More than likely this is just another example of sloppy writing and the implication was that Varys was just indiscriminately sending notes all over the Seven Kingdoms and nothing will come of it. But it is certainly quite possible that the Master of Whispers still has a lot of impact on the plot, even from beyond his crispy grave.

Originally Posted by VinVega
We were engaging in some water cooler talk at the office and the idea of the ending being:

Spoiler:
Arya and Gendry on the iron throne. Gendry has a claim and if Arya might be pregnant with his kid, might as well hang up the assassin spikes and raise the kid as a Queen.
Yup. Let's assume that Dany dies. Honestly, I think the show ends with the last of the Targaryen bloodline (at least how it exists in the show) being stamped from the earth. That means that someway, somehow, Jon dies also. Who has the best claim to the Iron Throne at this point. Since Gendry has been legitimized by royal decree, wouldn't it be him? The deaths of Dany and Jon (and perhaps Tyrion as well) will provide a lot of gravitas to the final episode but the show ending with Gendry and Arya on the throne with Sansa as warden of the north would still give fans their "happy"-ish ending.

These two plot points might actually be tied together. Perhaps Varys is trying to get Gendry down to King's Landing to make a claim to the throne on the assumption that Jon might not want to take it.

I suppose it is possible that we will see Dorne pop into the plot again (they did get mentioned an episode or two ago) but that seems unlikely with so little time left.

Will Bran have any more impact on the plot?
Old 05-14-19, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
especially Cersei, who was given absolutely NOTHING to do in Season 7 short of standing around and appearing menacing.
I was waiting for Cersei to have some master plan during the whole episode, but it was actually realistic the way it played out. What could she do to fight a Dragon after he demolished all her bow/arrow guns they created to kill it? She was essentially in a box the whole episode, and it would have been ridiculous if she somehow pulled something out of her hat to survive (That would have been the ultimate movie cliche if she did). Trust me, I've been very critical of this season but I think they got the character arcs/endings right for this episode all around. Jaime/Cersei died together, Arya had a moment where she realized that being vengeful the rest of her life was not the path she wanted, The Hound went out in a blaze of glory, and Dany didn't follow Tom Hagen's wisdom in The Godfather, "It's just business, it's not personal." She got personal, and now it may cost her the Iron Throne.

Old 05-14-19, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
She got personal, and now it may cost her the Iron Throne.
I just can't see there being in "may" about this. She just committed mass murder on a grand scale and the preview has her walking out to rows of soldiers (and where do these thousands of unsullied keep coming from by the way?) like she's General Hux or something. I just don't see how they can walk that back without really pissing off legions of fans. I will be quite surprised indeed if she survives the last episode. Frankly, she has been astoundingly unlikable since about the time she set foot in Westeros.
Old 05-14-19, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar
Frankly, she has been astoundingly unlikable since about the time she set foot in Westeros.
AKA, everything since the show runners went past the books.
Old 05-14-19, 07:20 AM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

This whole series feels like a bunch of Shakespearean tragedies all rolled into one. I think the ending will be a lot more like Romeo and Juliet than Return of the King. Some people keep hoping for Return of the King.
Old 05-14-19, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt

So far, I think only Jorah and The Hound have met satisfactory ends.
Theon. Lady of Bear Island.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.