TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Umbrella Academy (Netflix) -- based on the comic -- premieres 2/15/19

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-22, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Re: The Umbrella Academy (Netflix) -- based on the comic -- premieres 2/15/19

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
A new name doesn’t mean it’s not the same character.
Right, but my question still stands. I fully expected the actor to continue playing the already tomboyish female role - but changing it sends a message that trans actors can only play trans characters.
Old 03-29-22, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I would guess it is Page’s choice, but my guess is many trans actors would prefer to play trans rather than a gender they no longer identify with.
Old 03-29-22, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I would guess it is Page’s choice, but my guess is many trans actors would prefer to play trans rather than a gender they no longer identify with.
Is that actor a producer? Who cares what an actor thinks...read your lines or we'll get someone else to do it should be the order of business.
Old 03-29-22, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
Is that actor a producer? Who cares what an actor thinks...read your lines or we'll get someone else to do it should be the order of business.
i don’t know, but I would guess the producers probably don’t want to go out of their way to make Page unhappy. If Page starts giving a lot of interviews saying “I’m a man, but Netflix is telling me I have to play this part as a woman” it wouldn’t exactly be great press.

Gerard Way, who created the comic and is a producer, uses the pronoun they, so my guess is they are going to be supportive of Page.
Old 03-30-22, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,890 Posts

"Sidney Applebaum?"

WTH?

Old 03-30-22, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
Speaking as someone who produces shows with talent involved, sometimes you do things because it's good to keep them happy. And if they can make it work creatively (and this show is weird enough that they can), then it should be no problem to accommodate.

Not everything is cutthroat - some shops don't want to operate that way.
Old 03-30-22, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Speaking as someone who produces shows with talent involved, sometimes you do things because it's good to keep them happy. And if they can make it work creatively (and this show is weird enough that they can), then it should be no problem to accommodate.

Right, it’s possible that the showrunners wanted to work with the actor in the interest of making an artistic AND cultural statement.
Old 03-30-22, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven

And really that should be true for any good employer. Humans are not disposable or interchangeable.
Old 03-31-22, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by ben12
And really that should be true for any good employer. Humans are not disposable or interchangeable.

Old 05-19-22, 10:09 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Old 05-19-22, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

Looks fun!
Old 05-19-22, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,021 Likes on 630 Posts

Yeah, looks great! I need to find time for a season 2 rewatch. There are several shows I watch that are coming out with new seasons in the next few weeks (this, Stranger Things, The Boys, Peaky Blinders, Westworld, Evil, the new Obi Wan Kenobi series)--I'm gonna be busy.
Old 05-19-22, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Yeah, looks great! I need to find time for a season 2 rewatch. There are several shows I watch that are coming out with new seasons in the next few weeks (this, Stranger Things, The Boys, Peaky Blinders, Westworld, Evil, the new Obi Wan Kenobi series)--I'm gonna be busy.
These next few months are nuts with the different series getting going/coming back. Also Ms. Marvel if you're into the whole MCU machine. And I still need to finish Boba Fett and Moon Knight (and get started on latest season of Barry and Atlanta)! Not enough hours in the day!
Old 06-22-22, 05:50 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Bump as this is out today. First episode has my interest, happy to have this back.
Old 06-22-22, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk God

That hallucination dance sequence had me rolling. I love that one of the replacement kids is a floating cube.
Old 06-23-22, 09:22 PM

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
That hallucination dance sequence had me rolling. I love that one of the replacement kids is a floating cube.
The only thing that would have made that better is if it wasn't a hallucination. Watched the first two episodes today, so far so good!
Old 06-24-22, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just finished episode 1.

Yeah, that whole opening scene was great--especially the dance-off.

Keeping Five in that school boy outfit is getting ridiculous. The actor looks like he's grown a foot since last season. But I guess it's only been a few weeks since season 1 from Five's perspective.

Speaking of Five, Number Five aka 'Sloane' in the Sparrow Academy is played by Genesis Rodriguez! I like how Luther--true to his character--was infatuated with her almost immediately.

I also really liked Vanya's scene near the end with the Sparrow leader, and how she told him to back off or else.

I have no clue yet what that thing in the basement is. Something to do with the Umbrella team causing problems with space-time?

Old 06-24-22, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

I was surprised at how good of dancers they all were. The entire cast had their moves dialed in!

I’m only one episode into the new season but I’m enjoying the Umbrella Academy vs. the Sparrow Academy so far. I’m guessing at some point they’re going to join forces to take on the fiery orb in the basement.
Old 06-25-22, 12:11 PM

Up to episode 7 and Allison has become so unlikeable, but I'm assuming that's the intention. Will be interesting to see if she bounces back (don't know if there is a 4th season planned) by the end.
Old 06-26-22, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I can’t figure out why I don’t love this show. It looks great.

The closest thing to an emotion it got from me is that the samurais were intense and a bit frightening.

It’s a really well made show with a lot to like. It just doesn’t leave me feeling anything.
Old 06-26-22, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked this season a lot, but it was a little harder to like some of the characters.

Allison, for one, was used as an antagonist against the rest of the team. Her torment over losing her daughter was made clear, but in the past she was one of the characters that was easiest to like.

Five is still prominent, but not quite as front-and-center this season as he has been in the past. He's always had an abrasive personality, but his leadership and cleverness offset that, and some of that is missing here. And the Commission was mostly absent from the story (save for a part of one episode).

I thought Viktor's transition was handled well, and the scenes with him and Harlan were touching in those episodes, but later if felt like he was kind of useless to the story except when they needed his powers for something.

Ben, of course, is not the same and is very unlikeable now, but that is also on purpose.

I liked Luther and Sloane--glad the big lug finally found love. I kept worrying that she was just playing him and I was waiting for the rug to be pulled out from under him.

Klaus was still pretty fun, and I liked that he was the one doing some detective work about their mothers.

Diego and Lila make a good pair. I kind of liked the Diego-as-a-dad dynamic, but then that ended rather abruptly.

The Sparrows were actually a lot of fun as antagonists. I wonder if we will see any of them (besides Ben) again if there is a season 4.

I wish the ending was a little more clear. What exactly was Reginald trying to do? What did Allison do and how did she know how to do it? Who was the woman with Reginald at the end--was she the one in that thing on the moon in the Luther flashback? What was the point of the credits scene with Ben on the train?
Old 06-26-22, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i thought this season was kind of a mess. it's my least favorite of all the "anti-hero" or dark superhero shows.
Old 06-28-22, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
I liked this season a lot, but it was a little harder to like some of the characters.

Allison, for one, was used as an antagonist against the rest of the team. Her torment over losing her daughter was made clear, but in the past she was one of the characters that was easiest to like.

Five is still prominent, but not quite as front-and-center this season as he has been in the past. He's always had an abrasive personality, but his leadership and cleverness offset that, and some of that is missing here. And the Commission was mostly absent from the story (save for a part of one episode).

I thought Viktor's transition was handled well, and the scenes with him and Harlan were touching in those episodes, but later if felt like he was kind of useless to the story except when they needed his powers for something.

Ben, of course, is not the same and is very unlikeable now, but that is also on purpose.

I liked Luther and Sloane--glad the big lug finally found love. I kept worrying that she was just playing him and I was waiting for the rug to be pulled out from under him.

Klaus was still pretty fun, and I liked that he was the one doing some detective work about their mothers.

Diego and Lila make a good pair. I kind of liked the Diego-as-a-dad dynamic, but then that ended rather abruptly.

The Sparrows were actually a lot of fun as antagonists. I wonder if we will see any of them (besides Ben) again if there is a season 4.

I wish the ending was a little more clear. What exactly was Reginald trying to do? What did Allison do and how did she know how to do it? Who was the woman with Reginald at the end--was she the one in that thing on the moon in the Luther flashback? What was the point of the credits scene with Ben on the train?
That was his wife. I haven't read the comics, but I'm guessing a Mr. Freeze scenario where he just wanted to be with his wife again. I also don't think Allison knew exactly what would happen by pressing the red button, but she was just desperate to get her life back.

I'm on board for another season if it happens. But it seems there are no more comics for the next season to be based on so it would be a Game of Thrones scenario.
Old 06-28-22, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,890 Posts

I wish that naked fight was more like the one in Altered Carbon.

Old 06-28-22, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk God

The ending was a bit lackluster, but I can appreciate that it was less of a cliffhanger in case it doesn't come back.

Allison was awful this season. Ooof. Made her completely unlikable.

I liked the Luther and Sloane stuff. Five was awesome as always. I would watch a spinoff of just him.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.