DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Umbrella Academy (Netflix) -- based on the comic -- premieres 2/15/19 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/646785-umbrella-academy-netflix-based-comic-premieres-2-15-19-a.html)

dex14 02-12-19 08:56 AM

The Umbrella Academy (Netflix) -- based on the comic -- premieres 2/15/19

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...951ed55d28.jpg

<iframe width="649" height="365" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0DAmWHxeoKw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

On the same day in 1989, forty-three infants are inexplicably born to random, unconnected women who showed no signs of pregnancy the day before. Seven are adopted by Sir Reginald Hargreeves, a billionaire industrialist, who creates The Umbrella Academy and prepares his "children" to save the world. But not everything went according to plan. In their teenage years, the family fractured and the team disbanded. Now, the six surviving thirty-something members reunite upon the news of Hargreeves ' passing. Luther, Diego, Allison, Klaus, Vanya and Number Five work together to solve a mystery surrounding their father's death. But the estranged family once again begins to come apart due to their divergent personalities and abilities, not to mention the imminent threat of a global apocalypse.

PRINCIPAL CAST INFORMATION:
· Adam Godley as Pogo
· Aidan Gallagher as Number Five
· Ashley Madekwe as Patch
· Cameron Britton as Hazel
· Colm Feore as Sir Reginald Hargreeves
· David Castañeda as Diego
· Ellen Page as Vanya
· Emmy Raver-Lampman as Allison
· John Magaro as Leonard Peabody
· Kate Walsh as The Handler
· Mary J. Blige as Cha-Cha
· Robert Sheehan as Klaus
· Tom Hopper as Luther

CREW INFORMATION:
· Gabriel Bá as BOOK/CO-EP
· Gerard Way as BOOK/CO-EP
· Jeff King as EP
· Keith Goldberg as EP
· Mike Richardson as EP
· Steve Blackman as CRTR/EP
10 episode first season.

starseed1981 02-12-19 09:32 AM

Re: The Umbrella Academy (Netflix) -- based on the comic -- premieres 2/15/19

Very excited for this. I saw the screener of the first two episodes. It's excellent.

Josh-da-man 02-12-19 10:35 AM

I’m kind of surprised they’re not pushing the Gerard Way connection with this.

dex14 02-12-19 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13499377)
I’m kind of surprised they’re not pushing the Gerard Way connection with this.

IMO, that's a good thing. I hesitate to even watch it because I can't stand that trash. But I will because it looks cool.

RichC2 02-12-19 11:06 AM

They've been promoting the Mary J. Blige connection a ton though.

Josh-da-man 02-12-19 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13499386)
IMO, that's a good thing. I hesitate to even watch it because I can't stand that trash. But I will because it looks cool.

Whatever you may think about Way as a musician, he’s a very good writer.

Usually when a celebrity writes a comic book series it’s just a thinly veiled pitch for a movie or otherstar vehicle, and horribly written even if they have a ghost writer.

Umbrella Academy won an Eisner Award for best limited series, and the two collected editions have introductions by Grant Morrison and Neil Gaiman. It’s the real deal.

DJariya 02-15-19 03:13 AM

Premieres today. All episodes available now.

dex14 02-16-19 01:29 PM

The first episode was interesting. Pretty good. I'll stick with it for now.

funkyryno 02-20-19 11:48 AM

Whoa. Two episodes in and I'm hooked. This is way better than Netflix's Marvel shows.

If Netflix keeps producing kick-ass super hero series like this, nobody is going to miss those other shows.

Unclejosh 02-20-19 12:14 PM

I enjoyed this one a lot. Had no idea of the comic at all so that helps in most adaptations I think. Looking forward to Season 2!

Hokeyboy 02-20-19 02:29 PM

Loved the first episode to death. Thought it was outstanding.

Second episode? Floundered a lot and felt unsatisfying. I'll continue watching but I'm hoping that was just a blip in an otherwise upward trajectory.

Apropos of nothing but see this is why I don't like (and generally don't participate in) a single thread for an entire season of a show. If you don't binge or if you want to discuss individual episodes as you watch them, you have to dodge around, overall thoughts/speculations/spoilers etc.

Navinabob 02-21-19 11:24 AM

Loved this series. Felt like a mash-up between UK's Utopia and Misfits.

Orbi-Wan Techno 02-23-19 02:13 PM

Fourth episode in. Never heard of it until the trailers. This is an example of the unexpected gems I love finding on Netflix. This show is great,

fumanstan 02-24-19 09:13 AM

I started watching since a bunch of my coworkers have all been binging it. I'm 6 episodes in now, and while its a little inconsistent in terms of pace with stretches where it lulls a bit, the story and characters are interesting and is keeping me watching. The musical cues and sequences are a lot of fun.

I started hunting around for the comic books, which seem out of stock almost everywhere.

movieguru 02-24-19 10:34 AM

I'm going to check this one out. Looking at the trailers, it looks like it might have a "League of Extrodinary Gentlemen" or Alan Moore vibe to it, both of which I've never cared for. But I'm willing to give it a try and hope to be surprised.

fiver 02-24-19 02:43 PM

I wasn't sure if I liked this or not - think it's first couple episodes did have a few issues with pacing and connecting plot elements together so that I didn't lose track of what was actually going on.
But...around the 4th episodes things started to click for me. I'm on the 8th episode now and really like it.

Sorta surprised this hasn't gotten much pick up on this thread - seems like the sort of series that would appeal to this forum

I keep getting a mix of Tim Burton and Wes Anderson vibe from this show - I like that it's not a clone of the Marvel netflix shows or the DC CW shows.
It's not fully original but it doesn't feel like it's pulling its influences from those other superhero shows - otherwise I would have tuned out instantly I think.

E Unit 02-25-19 06:19 PM

Wife and I have been enjoying it. With knowing pretty much nothing before starting it, we've been pleasantly surprised. Like some have said, it's another unexpected Netflix gem, right up there with Russian Doll.

d2cheer 02-26-19 09:39 AM

May attempt to watch this but their look is really off-putting for some reason to me. They look like smug A-holes.

fujishig 02-26-19 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 13503900)

Apropos of nothing but see this is why I don't like (and generally don't participate in) a single thread for an entire season of a show. If you don't binge or if you want to discuss individual episodes as you watch them, you have to dodge around, overall thoughts/speculations/spoilers etc.

I agree with this. I only watched the first episode so far and would love to discuss it but I feel like the smart thing to do is avoid this thread until I watch them all.

spainlinx0 02-26-19 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by fiver (Post 13506118)
I wasn't sure if I liked this or not - think it's first couple episodes did have a few issues with pacing and connecting plot elements together so that I didn't lose track of what was actually going on.
But...around the 4th episodes things started to click for me. I'm on the 8th episode now and really like it.

Sorta surprised this hasn't gotten much pick up on this thread - seems like the sort of series that would appeal to this forum

I keep getting a mix of Tim Burton and Wes Anderson vibe from this show - I like that it's not a clone of the Marvel netflix shows or the DC CW shows.
It's not fully original but it doesn't feel like it's pulling its influences from those other superhero shows - otherwise I would have tuned out instantly I think.

I also felt the inconsistency early on, and wasn't sure if I could stick with it, but I did finish it, and I am happy I did. I definitely felt the Wes Anderson vibe while watching this, but it was missing some of the charm.

Originally Posted by d2cheer (Post 13507118)
May attempt to watch this but their look is really off-putting for some reason to me. They look like smug A-holes.

I don't know if I actually liked any of the characters, but I kept watching because I liked the story.

Tom Banjo 02-26-19 03:58 PM

I’m 4 or 5 in, and it’s not clicking with me. I’ll finish it, but just don’t feel that urge to dive back in when the free time presents itself.

mapasu 03-03-19 03:03 PM

The Family and I just finished the series. Now I'm pissed and want more. :grunt:

Gunde 03-04-19 01:54 AM

Overall I liked it. I started OK, then dragged but the last 2-3 episodes were really strong. The final few minutes worked both as a cliffhanger and as an ending if it's not renewed. How often does that happen? :)

Abob Teff 03-04-19 06:50 PM

I’m on episode three and have some theories ...

Spoiler:

It’s too obvious for Vanya’s “boyfriend” to be the big bad ... I think it may actually be Vanya.

OR ... Cha-Cha and Hazel are after Five (forgot his name) because it is actually him who brings on the apocalypse.

I do have to say this: should Disney decide to recast Captain Jack Sparrow, the guy playing Klaus has my vote.

I really like the look of the show. Some of the special effects are pretty damned good (Pogo), but what is up with Mr. Six Layers of Shirts?

Gunde 03-05-19 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 13510587)
... but what is up with Mr. Six Layers of Shirts?

Keep watching :)