TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SNL (S44S05) -- 11/10/18 -- H: Liev Schrieber -- MG: Lil Wayne

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-18, 07:24 AM

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,139 Posts
Re: SNL (S44S05) -- 11/10/18 -- H: Liev Schrieber -- MG: Lil Wayne

Originally Posted by mike7162
I had no problem with the joke, just the dismissive "whatever";
"Whatever" is the part that makes it a joke.

And Pete Davidson doesn't feel that "whatever" way. He never did. He was satirizing people who actually do dismiss others for their accomplishments or status. Happens all the time. "But I guess he's the boss or whatever." "Well, you know, she made dinner so she's Mom of the Year, or whatever." "Children are the future. Or whatever."

Explaining that to the US sounds exhausting and probably wouldn't really work, anyway, so he did the next best thing (maybe first best thing?) and apologized.

And took the heat for good comedy. AND got a good message out there about veterans. It truly was amazing!

Or whatever.
Old 11-12-18, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts

I never saw it as Pete hardcore shitting on Crenshaw, his service, or disability, though I do understand the "whatever" part can be taken as disrespectful. But then at the end of last week's bit Pete made fun of himself more or less saying, Hey I'm bigger mess than all of these people.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 11-12-18 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-12-18, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I think it was the 'whatever' that people got mad because it looked like someone who never served sort of minimizing War heroes (I'm just talking about how it was perceived by most). The initial joke was never going to get a major backlash as some edgy jokes land and others don't (the snowflakes would probably have gotten mad but they are always a small group, but just the loudest on social media).

I actually think this helped Pete Davidson the most cause self deprecating humor is ALWAYS a winner because people love anyone you doesn't take themselves too seriously. There is nothing worse then a know-it-all comic who thinks he smarter then everyone in the room all of the time (I like Bill Maher but he gets snobby sometimes). The bit with Crenshaw worked for Davidson in the future cause he essentially said, "I'm an asshole as my family and friends know it, but it wasn't malicious as it's just my brand of humor." Guys like Norm MacDonald, Anthony Jeslenick and Sarah Silverman go over the line ALL of their time with their humor, but we sort of expect them so they can get away with it most of the time.
Old 11-12-18, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

It would have helped avoid misunderstanding if Davidson was known for being some sort of humorist.
Old 11-13-18, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Yeah, he's a real clown, he is.
So you have to be a comedian or do lots of comedy to be on SNL? Somebody should tell Trump and Pete Davidson that.
Old 11-13-18, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
So you have to be a comedian or do lots of comedy to be on SNL? Somebody should tell Trump and Pete Davidson that.
No. If you read my first post on the subject, you will see that I acknowledge that actors not known for comedy can be surprisingly able hosts. I think LS turned in exactly the sort of stiff performance I expected.
Old 11-13-18, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

Liev was not as bad as January Jones