Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Better Call Saul (S4E01) -- Season Premiere -- "Smoke" -- 8/6/18

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-18, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S4E01) -- Season Premiere -- "Smoke" -- 8/6/18

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether Chuck was plotting something at the end of last season when he tried to rehabilitate himself to withstand electricity again? I always felt like he could miraculously endure anything electronic as long as the end goal was to hurt Jimmy somehow.

That's the one part of the story that didn't seem very satisfying. Here he is "getting better" and then suddenly - bam! - relapse and then suicide. Or maybe he genuinely wanted to forget about Jimmy and return to his law practice, but then Howard ended that dream?
Old 08-07-18, 07:13 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Geez... people will nitpick anything. This isn't on the shit level of TWD.

As someone already said, it was a direct continuation to the finale and starts to set up the season.

The show has always been and will continue to be a slow burn. It lays seeds and groundwork. Things will happen and it will be unexpected and impactful when it does.

Originally Posted by Deftones
I think a little of both. He's not the kind of guy that can sit around. So he basically did the job he's getting paid not to do and got to check out part of the company to boot.
Exactly. Mike going through the factory was Mike being Mike. He is meticulous. He's not going to be linked to a front that could susceptible and taken down to dumb errors.
Old 08-07-18, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

I wondered about this before the season premier but didn't want to post it because it might have come up in the premier, but since it didn't:

Howard handed Chuck a buyout down payment check for $3 million not long before his suicide, with an agreement for another $5 million still to be paid. Seems like that would be part of Chuck's estate, and considering Jimmy is Chuck's only surviving relative...

Vince Gilligan has never been the kind of guy to let things like that just sort of disappear into the ether. Makes me wonder if this isn't what keeps the Jimmy/HHM (HH?) thread alive going forward (that, and the Sandpiper lawsuit).
Old 08-08-18, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
I wondered about this before the season premier but didn't want to post it because it might have come up in the premier, but since it didn't:

Howard handed Chuck a buyout down payment check for $3 million not long before his suicide, with an agreement for another $5 million still to be paid. Seems like that would be part of Chuck's estate, and considering Jimmy is Chuck's only surviving relative...

Vince Gilligan has never been the kind of guy to let things like that just sort of disappear into the ether. Makes me wonder if this isn't what keeps the Jimmy/HHM (HH?) thread alive going forward (that, and the Sandpiper lawsuit).
I thought about that, too (except wasn't it two more cheques for $3M?), but what about Chuck's ex-wife?

And I agree with johnnysd and Dex. The pace is appropriate.

The thing I found surprising is the (apparent) jump in age of Mike's granddaughter, Kaylee. She was already on pace to be too old, compared to her character in BB. Now she looks like she had a growth spurt between seasons 3 and 4, making it even worse.
Old 08-08-18, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andicus
I thought about that, too (except wasn't it two more cheques for $3M?), but what about Chuck's ex-wife?
I had $8 million and that there were going to be three payments stuck in my head which I know is right because it is 1212 less than Magna Carta.

As to the ex-wife, I don't believe she would be entitled to anything unless Chuck put something in his will, which he could have, and he also could have cut Jimmy out entirely as well. Regardless, Chuck has an estate worth many millions of dollars, and I would be surprised if they just ignored that.
Old 08-08-18, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
I had $8 million and that there were going to be three payments stuck in my head which I know is right because it is 1212 less than Magna Carta.

As to the ex-wife, I don't believe she would be entitled to anything unless Chuck put something in his will, which he could have, and he also could have cut Jimmy out entirely as well. Regardless, Chuck has an estate worth many millions of dollars, and I would be surprised if they just ignored that.
I don't see Chuck not having a will.

I also see Chuck leaving his brother out of the will. He'd either leave his estate to his ex-wife, or to some kind of charity or scholarship. A Charles McGill law school scholarship would be a subtle way of thumbing his nose at Jimmy one last time.
Old 08-08-18, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

The black and white intro really worked for me. The drawn out interactions and the close ups really ratcheted up the tension for me.

I couldn't figure out the end. Was Jimmy happy that he was ultimately responsible for Chuck's demise?
Old 08-08-18, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber

I couldn't figure out the end. Was Jimmy happy that he was ultimately responsible for Chuck's demise?
Reading this thread, you can see that the last scene could be interpreted several different ways, which is exactly what they were going for. Since it was the last scene of the episode, they'll deal more with this as it goes on.
Old 08-08-18, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

The black and white intro really worked for me. The drawn out interactions and the close ups really ratcheted up the tension for me.
I liked the intro, but I didn't find it tense at all simply because I knew Jimmy wasn't going to get caught. These intros are just setting up the future scenario and won't have any major conflicts that will leave the viewer hanging - especially with 2 or more seasons left until the future timeline takes over the show.
Old 08-08-18, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I think Jimmy was just relieved that the insurance thing wasn't going to come around to him and that Howard took that hit.
Old 08-08-18, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

My wife though she saw the chemist that worked with Walt in BB in the warehouse when Mike was driving around on the golf cart. I couldn't make out the face well enough but I don't think they dropped that kind of easter egg here. Anyone else notice this? It was the three guys talking to each other while one was on a fork lift...

UPDATE Nevermind. unless they didnt credit him for the scene it wasnt Gale...
Old 08-08-18, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
Reading this thread, you can see that the last scene could be interpreted several different ways, which is exactly what they were going for. Since it was the last scene of the episode, they'll deal more with this as it goes on.
No one has yet mentioned the photo in the first post of.this thread. That seems like a pretty big clue to me that Jimmy's happy face was an act. But I like reading the other theories as well.
Old 08-08-18, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I loved the intro too.

As far as the end goes, I saw it as a peek into the fact that Chuck's death is the catalyst for Jimmy becoming Saul. Suddenly, rather than deal with the angst he had all episode, he completely disconnected and jumped back into his normal routine (feeding the fish, coffee, etc). We're seeing the transformation into a second personality as a form of self-protection.
Old 08-08-18, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coral
I liked the intro, but I didn't find it tense at all simply because I knew Jimmy wasn't going to get caught. These intros are just setting up the future scenario and won't have any major conflicts that will leave the viewer hanging - especially with 2 or more seasons left until the future timeline takes over the show.
Not a tense in a something exciting will happen sense, but feeling the tension that Gene is feeling in those moments.
Old 08-08-18, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Very low key premiere.

Agree that the present day hospital scene dragged, but I get why Jimmy/Saul was nervous.

And I don’t think we really needed to hear Howard read Chuck’s complete bio to Jimmy on the phone. That scene was a little long winded.

Not really much else that stood out for me. Mike’s exploits in the factory was amusing.
The hospital scene dragged, because it was dragging for Gene. The whole time he was there, he wanted to be gone. Cops, Social Security numbers, him being sick and maybe spilling the beans. Probably his worst nightmare.

Also, I liked Howard reading the obit, especially when he was still "reading" it without looking at the paper. Howard did his due diligence and memorized the crap out of that obit in respect of a fallen and respected law firm partner.

Mike in the warehouse made me think of work, so I am conflicted, but I liked the methodical way he went about breaking down the business that just issued him a big boy check.
Old 08-09-18, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

New interview with Gilligan and Gould dropped some pretty interesting info.

“Better Call Saul” star Bob Odenkirk and masterminds Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould just changed everything we thought we knew about Jimmy McGill/Saul Goodman’s life in Omaha: It turns out the black-and-white sequences on “Saul” may take place when Walter White is still alive.

Wait, we hear you saying. What? We had the same reaction. The Omaha sequences on “Saul” — brief segments that hint at Saul’s sad life after he fled Albuquerque to live undercover — suggest Gene is still living in fear because of his life as Saul. (The Season 4 premiere spelled this out more explicitly than any episode before.) On the “Better Call Saul Insider” podcast released this week, Odenkirk, Gilligan and Gould raised the possibility that Saul might be living in fear of Walter.
Old 08-09-18, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,209 Likes on 4,236 Posts

That doesn't make any sense. Just because Saul may be in fear of WW, it doesn't mean he is still alive. He may not know that Walter is dead, I doubt it would make national news. He could have kept up on local Albuquerque news, but maybe not.
I guess we don't know for sure how much time elapses between Ozymandias and Felina but it couldn't be more than a few months, right?
Old 08-09-18, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think their comments went more to the idea that it is still open as to whether or not WW is still alive in Gene’s timeline. They simply haven’t made those decisions yet, but it is possible.
Old 08-09-18, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They mean the actual timeline and events of the BB finale may not occurred yet during the Gene scenes we have witnessed. So, Walt may still be alive.
Old 08-09-18, 09:37 AM

When we met Saul again in “Better Call Saul,” in Omaha, no one told us how much time had passed since his split with Walt. Yes, we saw Walt die in the finale of “Breaking Bad” — but we don’t know when the Omaha scenes take place in relation to “Breaking Bad.” They might occur during the stretch of “Granite State” when Walt is hiding out in Nebraska.
Old 08-09-18, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wasn't it New Hampshire?
Old 08-09-18, 09:40 AM

Wasn't it New Hampshire?
Yea. That is the writer's error.
Old 08-09-18, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I do wonder if we are only getting one or two Genes scene this year. I wouldn't mind each episode opening with one as we get closer to the end.
Old 08-09-18, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,209 Likes on 4,236 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I do wonder if we are only getting one or two Genes scene this year. I wouldn't mind each episode opening with one as we get closer to the end.
Have we ever even had two Gene openings in the same season before?
Old 08-09-18, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Decker
Have we ever even had two Gene openings in the same season before?
Only in the premieres, I believe.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.