DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Better Call Saul (S4E01) -- Season Premiere -- "Smoke" -- 8/6/18 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/644840-better-call-saul-s4e01-season-premiere-smoke-8-6-18-a.html)

dex14 08-06-18 05:24 AM

Better Call Saul (S4E01) -- Season Premiere -- "Smoke" -- 8/6/18

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/...5,1000_AL_.jpg

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qA5J7l2ovKM" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The season four premiere of AMC's original series "Better Call Saul" airs Monday, August 6th at 9:00 p.m. ET/PT. On the season premiere, "Smoke," Jimmy struggles to cope with Chuck's tragic death, while Mike ponders his role at Madrigal and Howard makes a startling confession. The episode is written by Peter Gould and directed by Minkie Spiro.

In "Better Call Saul's" fourth season, Chuck's death catalyzes Jimmy McGill's (Bob Odenkirk) transformation into Saul Goodman. In the wake of his loss, Jimmy takes steps into the criminal world that will put his future as a lawyer - and his relationship with Kim (Rhea Seehorn) - in jeopardy. Chuck's (Michael McKean) death deeply affects former colleagues Howard (Patrick Fabian) and Kim as well, putting the two of them once again on opposite sides of a battle sparked by the Brothers McGill.

Meanwhile, Mike Ehrmantraut takes a more active role as Madrigal Electromotive's newest (and most thorough) security consultant. It's a volatile time to be in Gus Fring's employ, as Hector's collapse sends shock waves throughout the Albuquerque underworld and throws the cartel into chaos - tearing apart both Gus and Nacho's well-laid plans. While Gus changes course, Nacho finds himself in the crosshairs of deadly forces.
10 episode fourth season. Already renewed for season five.

Josh-da-man 08-06-18 05:38 AM

Re: Better Call Saul (S4E01) -- Season Premiere -- "Smoke" -- 8/6/18

Can't wait! :banana:

dex14 08-06-18 07:55 AM

<iframe width="725" height="408" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oWooV4hjswQ" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Geofferson 08-06-18 10:15 AM

Now that The Americans is over, I think this and Fargo are the only ongoing network shows still considered 'appointment' television for me. Can't wait :up:

Decker 08-06-18 04:54 PM

Terrific article by the great TV writer Alan Sepinwall on Vince Gilligan before tonight's season premiere :

A Candid Conversation With Vince Gilligan on ‘Better Call Saul’

Though I do have a hard time believing that Vince has people telling him they like "Saul" better than "Bad" every day.

windom 08-06-18 05:02 PM

So this is the first time they're not having a "Talking Saul" after the premiere, right? I wonder if they just didn't want to bother because of the whole Hardwick situation.

Bill Needle 08-06-18 05:28 PM

So happy this is back.

DthRdrX 08-06-18 05:31 PM

The good news is S5 was already renewed this year, so hopefully we shouldn't have to wait 14 months for it to return.

Josh-da-man 08-06-18 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by windom (Post 13385103)
So this is the first time they're not having a "Talking Saul" after the premiere, right? I wonder if they just didn't want to bother because of the whole Hardwick situation.

They didn't do a "Talking Preacher" program, either. The new season of Preacher debuted ten days after the allegations dropped. I'm not sure if AMC had an episode scheduled and then pulled it, but I don't remember one showing up in my DirecTV schedule.

Maybe, since they turned "Talking" into a series, they decided not to do the specials for Preacher and BCS.

Decker 08-06-18 05:36 PM

BCS has a FANTASTIC podcast after each episode. Each one lasts 90-120 minutes.

Nesbit 08-06-18 05:43 PM

Usually wait for the season set to watch these but don't really want to wait 6 months this time.

AMC's website the best place to watch this free? If so when does each episode become available?

Bill Needle 08-06-18 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13385135)
BCS has a FANTASTIC podcast after each episode. Each one lasts 90-120 minutes.

Oh great, there goes another hour or two of my week. :)

Decker 08-06-18 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Nesbit (Post 13385136)
AMC's website the best place to watch this free?

Yes, assuming you pay for the channel with your cable/satellite/internet subscription package of course

If so when does each episode become available?
The next day. Limited commercials.
Edit : Website says Episode and Extras coming tonight to the streaming page.

Nesbit 08-06-18 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13385155)
Yes, assuming you pay for the channel with your cable/satellite/internet subscription package of course

The next day. Limited commercials.
Edit : Website says Episode and Extras coming tonight to the streaming page.

1. Thank you!
2. What if I don't pay? Any legal and free options for me? Would pay if I wasn't going to buy the bluray on day 1 regardless.

Decker 08-06-18 07:44 PM

maybe you have a friend with cable who will let you log into his or her account?

dex14 08-06-18 08:29 PM

Does AMC require a login? I was able to test and watch Preacher episodes without.

DJariya 08-06-18 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Nesbit (Post 13385168)
1. Thank you!
2. What if I don't pay? Any legal and free options for me? Would pay if I wasn't going to buy the bluray on day 1 regardless.

If you don't have cable or satellite or some live TV streaming provider, there's really no legal options to watch this for free.

I mean you could purchase the 4th season a la carte via Amazon or Vudu.

Looks like Vudu will have it for $20 in HD. They will usually post it the day after it airs.

https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/...Series-/630368

DJariya 08-06-18 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13385225)
Does AMC require a login? I was able to test and watch Preacher episodes without.

I used the AMC app to watch a few episodes of The Terror and had to use my DirecTV log-in to access the episodes. I don't know about Preacher.

Nesbit 08-06-18 09:31 PM

Damn. Thanks for the responses. Will most likely wait for bluray. Long wait.

Josh-da-man 08-06-18 09:58 PM

Good episode, but it was mostly an epilogue to "Lantern" and set-up for the rest of the season. Not a lot of meat there.

Decker 08-06-18 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13385225)

The season premiere of BCS is up on the app and does NOT require a sign-in. I doubt that will be the case for the entire season.

Coral 08-06-18 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13385287)
Good episode, but it was mostly an epilogue to "Lantern" and set-up for the rest of the season. Not a lot of meat there.

It's essentially what I expected.
Got closure on Chuck, set up Mike in his new security job, and some adjustments to the business after Hector suffers his stroke.

Jimmy's reaction at the end was pretty cold. He was only upset at the guilt of Chuck's death than his actual death. Once he found out that he wasn't responsible, he perked right up.

I wonder if the car that couldn't start is the same type of car Jimmy upgraded to earlier in the series. They almost made a point of showing the guy being able to fit his coffee tumbler in the cup holder (which was a contrast to Jimmy's not being able to fit his in) in a wink, wink callback sorta way.

slop101 08-07-18 12:19 AM

It was good, but not much happened for a 50-minute episode... didn't feel that long though.

philo 08-07-18 04:39 AM

My favorite part was the opening scene and finally finding out what happened after Gene collapsed last season. Tense as hell. Just frustrating that we only get these small glimpses of present day Jimmy. I'm kind of hoping next season takes us into the present. Only down side on that is no more Mike and I will sure miss seeing him.

bluetoast 08-07-18 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 13385302)
Jimmy's reaction at the end was pretty cold. He was only upset at the guilt of Chuck's death than his actual death. Once he found out that he wasn't responsible, he perked right up.

He was responsible. Jimmy was the one who got the insurance rates raised. He was probably glad that he could shift the blame.