TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

America's Got Talent (NBC) -- Season 13 Thread -- premieres 5/29/18

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-18, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Re: America's Got Talent (NBC) -- Season 13 Thread -- premieres 5/29/18

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I read the same. Presumably after AGT is over, she's flying back to Britain for rehab.
rumor is they want to replace her with Queen Latifah... if that's the case, it'd be an upgrade. I love looking at Mel B and Heidi but their idea of "talent" and how they've buzzed out quality acts is nauseating. Mel B buzzing Aaron Crow and then not watching the finale of his act was criminal. It was great stuff.
Old 09-01-18, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

^eh, Crow's long and drawn out act was a bore, plus I'm pretty sure David Blaine did the same exact same trick on one of his specials years ago.

Zurcaroh is easily the best dance group. All others need not apply. Us the Duo, Brian King Joseph and Ketterer were the only ones I enjoyed this week.

Josh nailed it. Lots of sob stories this week.
Old 09-01-18, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
^eh, Crow's long and drawn out act was a bore, plus I'm pretty sure David Blaine did the same exact same trick on one of his specials years ago.
It's a fairly old trick; I think it's usually done with nails or spikes instead of knives.

The problem with it was that since Crow doesn't speak, it took too much set up with Howie and the hammer. If he does anything with too much set-up, too many steps, or requires the volunteers to do more than stand still, it sucks the energy and tension right out of the act. Which is too bad because he has a great stage presence.
Old 09-18-18, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Shin Lin tonight might have been one of the worst magic acts I’ve ever seen.
All the awful cards tricks that were clearly set up using a force that had her in on the bit.

Just awful. No charisma at all.

Plus the teen girl who sings rock songs or whatever, I’m not sure that she is a very good singer beyond all the screaming but she sure is interesting to watch all her oddball antics on stage.
Old 09-19-18, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Hadwin is interesting... but the gyrating and odd-ness wears off quickly. I don't think I could sit thru more than 2 songs if she were performing something original.
Old 09-19-18, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by whotony
Shin Lin tonight might have been one of the worst magic acts I’ve ever seen.
All the awful cards tricks that were clearly set up using a force that had her in on the bit.

Just awful. No charisma at all.
Yeah, I don’t see whatks so great about Shin Lim. He has some good slight-of-hand techniques, but he uses so many obvious trick decks that it pulls you out of the act.

For magic, I much preferred Riana and Aaron Crow. Their acts are. Nothing innovative, but their personas are fun to watch.

With magic there’s not a lot new. I mean they’re palming stuff, hiding in secret compartments, sneaking out the back when the lights are down, and using body doubles. For me, unless you you have simething totally unique, it comes down to the presentation.
Old 09-19-18, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, I don’t see whatks so great about Shin Lim. He has some good slight-of-hand techniques, but he uses so many obvious trick decks that it pulls you out of the act.

For magic, I much preferred Riana and Aaron Crow. Their acts are. Nothing innovative, but their personas are fun to watch.

With magic there’s not a lot new. I mean they’re palming stuff, hiding in secret compartments, sneaking out the back when the lights are down, and using body doubles. For me, unless you you have simething totally unique, it comes down to the presentation.
Well he fooled Penn and Teller. I found his act to be quite amazing with great presentation and style. Aaron Crowe's last performance was flat out boring.
Old 09-20-18, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I like Shim Lim, but this leaves me wondering about the distinction between amateur and professional. I was under the impression that this competition was for Joe and Jane Average Public who may perform their talents for locals where they're from, but don't do what they do for a living. People like Shim Lim, this is their career. This is what he does. He's already known pretty much around the world, mostly because he's been on Penn & Teller's show twice and earned a spot as their opening act in Vegas. According to his Wikipedia page he's won many awards for his act. So, how do they justify putting someone like him up against nobodies who want the break that he's received many times over already? I've been thinking about this ever since I saw E.G. Daily on The Voice. She didn't win, but there's the point that she's already famous for her acting career, a recording career that saw her release four albums, and most famously her voice-over work (Rugrats, Powerpuff Girls, etc.). With respect to her, I just can't understand why they allow people who are already famous and established in the entertainment business to try and take the spotlight away from people who just want a little taste of it.
Old 09-20-18, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jeez, paragraph breaks.

Anyway I agree but it’s been this way for a long time now on these shows.

A few years ago there was a woman stand up who has been a pro for a long time. I forget her name.
Her thing is she says something that’s not entirely funny but then she adds a little line at the end that changes the bit and makes it funny.

My choice to win of the acts that were left in the finale would have been the guy with Tourette’s.
His first couple of spots on AGT weren’t great but he improved as the season progressed.
He was genuinely funny and had a good on stage presence.

I’m just glad the winner wasn’t a 14 year old kid or a mediocre acrobatic act.

The woman singer might have been the most talented and I’m sure she’ll get her shot.

Lim doesn’t do anything for me.
Doesn’t have any good deal about timing.
His little tricks are boring and he waits for applause and the audience doesn’t cheer or see the need to.
His trick that he did last night was actually decent and 100% better then last week with the 9 of hearts thing he did.
I don’t think a guy who only doesn’t care tricks should have won this show.

Also I noticed that the 1 mil is a 40 year annuity but they have the option to get the equivalent in a one time cash payout.

How do you figure that out?

Last edited by whotony; 09-20-18 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-21-18, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The annuity thing is weird. It’s not like the judges aren’t being paid millions to sit on their asses and tell dumb jokes, and the show can’t afford it. Just give them the million all at once.
Old 09-21-18, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

It is fraudulent to call it a $1 Million Prize considering it is an annuity worth about $300K (about $200K after taxes).

Just go ahead and call it a $1 Billion Prize. Then use an even smaller annuity to pay out $20K/year for 500 centuries.
Old 09-21-18, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

There are a bunch of articles available after an online search that explain how the money is paid. Several of them explain in detail how the taxes eat away a large chunk.
Old 09-21-18, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Also, they give a lot of people the impression that the winner gets someone kind of permanent (or at least on going) headlining show in Vegas, but the Vegas show only runs for 3 days.
Old 09-21-18, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DWilson
There are a bunch of articles available after an online search that explain how the money is paid. Several of them explain in detail how the taxes eat away a large chunk.
Each person in an act like that giant choir would receive a life changing $2 per week (but for 40 years!).
Old 09-21-18, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good thing Ketterer didn't win (or maybe this happened because he didn't win):

http://www.tmz.com/2018/09/21/americ...stic-violence/

Michael Ketterer -- who finished in 5th place on this season's "America's Got Talent" -- has been arrested for felony domestic violence.

Ketterer was taken into custody Thursday afternoon by the LAPD in Hollywood. Law enforcement sources tell us ... he got into a fight with his wife, and when cops showed up they noticed she had a visible red mark.

We're told he was cuffed and booked for a felony because of the injury. Ketterer was released after posting $50k bail.

Michael tells us ... the arrest was a big "misunderstanding." He admits he and his wife got into an argument in their hotel room and cops were called, but she told them she didn't want to press charges. Ketterer says they arrested him anyway, telling him the law's the law.

Law enforcement sources tell us, the case will be downgraded to a misdemeanor because the injury was so minor. We're told the case will be referred to the L.A. City Attorney.
Old 09-22-18, 08:33 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I liked Shin, he was the best this season imho, although I thought his finale was his weakest act to date, overall I thought he popped the most. I really don’t like these choir acts. Overall. The talent level seemed a little weaker than last season, I miss duct tape guy.
Old 09-22-18, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by windom

He is getting ripped on social media. The court of public opinion rarely forgives. What a moron for throwing away his career over night.
Old 09-23-18, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by windom

Michael tells us ... the arrest was a big "misunderstanding."

"I told her to shut her goddam mouth or I'd shut it for her, and bless her heart she thought I wasn't serious."
I wonder if his wife can sing. She could be on next season and use 'battered wife' as her weekly sob story.
Old 09-23-18, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Overall the finale and results were phenomenal. I don't think this was the strongest season, BUT it was the most balanced finale that I can remember. I honestly wouldn't have had a problem with any of the top 10 winning. There just wasn't an act this season that was leagues better than the rest. The closest to that was Zucaroh and I did think they were a lock. I mean they have a Vegas ready show and probably the most polished act of the last few years. So I was shocked they didn't get it.

Other than that I thought Courtney Hadwin would have made the top 5. #6 is pretty close though. When they pitted her against Ketterer I thought for sure she'd eek it out.

And the Ketterer news... wow. He had the best intro package too. Very emotional without being a "whoa is me" sob story like most acts. Such a shame. It'll be interesting if we ever hear more.
Old 09-23-18, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How do you know Hadwin was #6? I'm pretty sure they only gave the actual rankings for the top 5.
Old 09-23-18, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Good point. Just an assumption since she was the last cut to make the 5 but I guess that reasoning doesn't work with the other 4.
Old 09-25-18, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts

Everything falling apart for Ketterer..

https://people.com/tv/garth-brooks-m...-perform-show/
Old 09-25-18, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by General Zod
Everything falling apart for Ketterer..

https://people.com/tv/garth-brooks-m...-perform-show/
No surprise there. Garth isn't going to associate with someone who might possibly be a wife beater. Ketterer has shut down all of his social media too which some ppl are saying is a sign of guilt.

Ketterer will be a nobody within 6 months.
Old 09-25-18, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He was already just a guy who had a decent run on a TV game show.

Not really anybody special to begin with.
Old 09-25-18, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
He was already just a guy who had a decent run on a TV game show.

Not really anybody special to begin with.
I never thought he was that great on the show but everyone loved his story and kept saying what a great wonderful terrific amazing remarkable admirable magnificent outstanding fabulous cool awesome superb groovy guy he was. And he may still be.. he may have just misunderstandingly smacked his wife.