Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

America's Got Talent (NBC) -- Season 13 Thread -- premieres 5/29/18

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-18, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: America's Got Talent (NBC) -- Season 13 Thread -- premieres 5/29/18

Yeah there are always a few that get glossed over in the early rounds but I hadn't seen probably half of the acts they showed in this one. So pretty sure we missed one.

Also, my kids and I have been cracking up at a revelation we had with Simon the last couple of weeks. I'd say probably 70-80% of the time, when he's talking on camera, he scratches his nose with his middle finger. So much so that if it were a drinking game, people across the nation would be rushed to the hospital for alcohol poisoning. Also we had paused the show last night to do something and just by coincidence it paused with him touching his nose.

Once you see it, you can't unsee it.

As for the ladies, Heidi is vapid. I like Mel. Both are decent eye candy. I'd keep them both over Tyra who after two years has proven she's not right for this show. She adds absolutely nothing. It might be different if she dressed like Heidi or Mel, but the former supermodel is stuck in some Hillary Clinton pantsuit phase.
Old 08-11-18, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I think that, every season, a few acts show up on the Judge's Cuts that weren't shown during the Auditions.

I agree about the father-daughter team over the alligator guy. His act was a pretty standard escape artist thing that's been done for decades. It also looked fake as hell since the last burning rope never snapped. Even after he had been down for a few seconds the stage hands removed it before it broke. I'm guessing there was a steel cable or something in there.
The thing on those burning “ropes” is that he didn’t even try to hide that they weren’t actually burning through.
They popped out on bottom where it attached to that lower platform.

Just awful.

Last edited by whotony; 08-11-18 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-11-18, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Yeah, he could hung up there for hours.

Almost as bad as that escape artist last year with the panicky wife. He gets buried in a box under two inches of dirt, and she starts screaming Get him out! Get him out!, and I,m thinking he could have slept in there all night, lifted the top if the morning, and gone on to his day job.
Old 08-16-18, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wow, Simon totally fucked up that final vote. Saw it coming from a mile away too. Only a producer would split the vote intentionally. Terrible when a Vegas ready act like Mochi gets robbed over a mediocre dance group that'll never win.

Oh and
Old 08-16-18, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Why does Simon act like Howie discovered Courtney Hadwin when she was well known from the Voice UK where she finished in the top 6? Also tired of the "scared to go out in front of a big audience" story with her since she's been doing this for awhile now. I actually find her performance just odd in general.
Old 08-16-18, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Who was Mochi? Was he the yo-yo guy cause that was all back screen special effects.
Not impressed with that act. Wouldn’t pay $1 to see it.

I loved the girl.
Never saw her before have they shown her before or another that they only show during the cut showstopper?
Old 08-16-18, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I really hate the judge's vote on the last act. With four judges it seems like they always chickenshit out and split the vote. That's why four judges suck... the fourth one is useless. They need to do a blind vote.

I wasn't that impressed with the dance team that made it through. The high school kids aren't particularly great, but they seem like they're having fun and are thus more fun to watch.

Surprised to see the choir came in so low. I would have expected them to be top six.

Agree about Hadwin. She's a good singer, but her shyness thing just comes off as totally affected. She's already done one of these shows, so the whole shrinking violet act doesn't hold a lot water. The way they're fawning over her, I think she's a ringer like Grace Vanderwaal.

And is it just me, or was Darci Lynne's performance really terrible? Her lips and throat were moving so much I thought she was singing a full duet with her puppet.

I thought too many singers went through last night. Everyone but the rapper... lil' Janis, lil' Mel, the trio, the choir. Mochi got robbed.
Old 08-17-18, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Surprised to see the choir came in so low. I would have expected them to be top six.
I think it was the audio. Their mics were terrible during their performance. It was way too soft on my end. That and they did a song the kids choir already did. Could be a couple of reasons for the low voting. Hopefully they playback their performance and address it before the next show.
Old 08-17-18, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Why does Simon act like Howie discovered Courtney Hadwin when she was well known from the Voice UK where she finished in the top 6? Also tired of the "scared to go out in front of a big audience" story with her since she's been doing this for awhile now. I actually find her performance just odd in general.
I dislike their fawning over Courtney Hadwin because she seems, to me at least, to have very poor control during her performances. Sometimes she sounds fine and then others she sounds shrieking and pinched in the voice. Just another instance where they're trying to sell a backstory that comes off as fake without really criticizing the performance itself properly.

Grace shouldn't have gotten as far as she did either in my opinion.
I didn't see the results show yet but it's a shame that Darci's performance was subpar - I really liked her last couple performances last year and I hate ventriloquists.
Old 08-17-18, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I wasn't a fan of Darcy but I thought she was fine the other night. She's a kid....singing with her mouth closed. I don't expect 100% all or nothing closed mouth performance. What she is doing is already unreal as is.

My family and I all loved Grace. I can see the gripes with Hadwin since she's apparently done this before. All the non singing acts have to step it up every show, why not hold the singers to the same standard... Especially if they're a contest veteran.
Old 08-22-18, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What was up with Riana's performance?

It didn't seem like there was any kind of magic trick there, and it felt like more of a performance art piece. The way they cut to a commercial before anything happened, it seemed like the act was cut short because of a technical issue.
Old 08-22-18, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What was up with Riana's performance?

It didn't seem like there was any kind of magic trick there, and it felt like more of a performance art piece. The way they cut to a commercial before anything happened, it seemed like the act was cut short because of a technical issue.
That whole show was awful. Kick all of them off.
Old 08-23-18, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

The remaining acts - those that could potentially win - are so devoid of "talent" compared to years past that it's a shame America gets to vote and water everything down. How many singers does this show need? There are dedicated singing shows for those just doing karaoke; although if you write your own music, that's a true talent, IMO.
Old 08-23-18, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

I am a week behind and all I took from last week was that try as I might to stop it I cannot help but despise Scary Spice. What a truly intolerant and loathsome person she is. She is also a buffoonish moron, but she probably can’t help that.
Old 08-23-18, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Can they please ban any song from "The Greatest Showman" on this and any other singing competition shows? I feel I keep hearing these songs being done over and over.

It was great that Sacred Riana just took off when they announced she was out. No chance of attempted hugs with the acrobats.
Old 08-23-18, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

^ did Rianna's act end abruptly or what? Lights went out and they went to commercial. Was that it?

No real complaints in this episode. The show has had numerous choirs over the years and they all generally feel like glorified church acts, good for a round or two but never "final" worthy. Both the LA group and the kids choir on the other hand are amazing.
Old 08-23-18, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
The show has had numerous choirs over the years and they all generally feel like glorified church acts, good for a round or two but never "final" worthy.
While watching we were talking about how that with adult choirs once they get above a certain size they all sound the same. Any variety amongst the performers is crushed by the law of averages. So every choir sounds pretty much like a church choir.
Old 08-28-18, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

So will Mel B be on the show tonight?
Old 08-28-18, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Joeboo835
So will Mel B be on the show tonight?
Maybe let us in on the reason you would ask that?
Old 08-28-18, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry. She entered rehab for alcohol and sex addiction.
Old 08-28-18, 12:48 PM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeboo835
Sorry. She entered rehab for alcohol and sex addiction.
In the article I read, it said she was entering "next month." So I'd assume she'll be on tonight.
Old 08-28-18, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I read the same. Presumably after AGT is over, she's flying back to Britain for rehab.
Old 08-29-18, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Predictions for tonight:

Who's going through:

Us the Duo (She's pregnant)
Daniel Emmet (Aerosmith song, hausfraus who vote eat that shit up)
Brian King Joseph (sob story - won't be able o play violin much longer)
Michael Ketterer (sob story - Simon wept)
Zurcaroh (really good)
Joseph O'Brien (sob story - can't get laid)
Rob Lake/Christina Wells

Singers seem to be dominating this year, so expect that to continue.

Who's definitely out:

Hans - his schtick is wearing thin
Future Kings/UDI - Zurcaroh is the best team, and will dominate the other dancers
Aaron Crow - I like him, but the voting audience is put off by performers who remain in character and don't speak (See Sacred Riana, Puddles Pity Party). Also didn't help that his act was slow-moving and hard to follow.
Old 08-30-18, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I think 4 or 5 more singers got thru... ugh. I'm pulling for Aaron Crow, Zurcaroh or Brian King Joseph. Both are outstanding acts --- I'm not usually a fan of dance or violins but those two acts deliver.

I know Michael Ketterer is an outstanding person and is talented but I can't get past people singing unoriginal songs and winning this show.
Old 08-30-18, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I like Brian King Joseph, he's a great performer and violinist, and seems a good guy, but he sort of comes off like Lindsey Stirling 2.0.

Glad to see Aaron Crow squeak through. Even though his last performance was kind of a mess, he's entertaining to watch.

I, frankly, get bored with the singers. There's a shit ton of good unknown and unsigned musicians you can see on youtube, and a lot of these acts come off like that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.