Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Popular, hyped Serialized, Mythology-driven shows that disappointed you or you hated

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Popular, hyped Serialized, Mythology-driven shows that disappointed you or you hated

Old 09-26-18, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, for this forum, it seems like only heavily serialized, mythology shows with multi-season arcs get any interest here.

What have you guys seen in maybe the last 5-10 years or so that was hyped, maybe did well, but ultimately it disappointed you and you ended up hating it or dropping it.

Shows that are still airing or even ones that got cancelled or ended on it's own fits in this discussion.

For me, I can think of a few:

24: Legacy. Not that I was expecting it to be great following Kiefer's departure, but it ended up being a total waste of time. And I watched all 12 episodes.

Heroes, including the reboot (I saw the entire reboot season, but dropped in it's final network original run)

I don't think American Horror Story has had a stellar season since the 1st season. I could not finish the last 3 seasons maybe.

For what was once a stellar show, Dexter ended on such a whimper.

I absolutely loved Pretty Little Liars, but I think that show kind of ended on a whimper too & disappointed me. It went maybe 3 seasons too long.
Old 09-26-18, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Popular, hyped Serialized, Mythology-driven shows that disappointed you or you ha

Game of Thrones. I have it two and a half seasons before I dropped it. Just not my thing but I tried because all my friends hyped it up.
Old 09-26-18, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Popular, hyped Serialized, Mythology-driven shows that disappointed you or you ha

I agree about Heroes and 24 Legacy.

I have a deep hatred for Heroes ever since I dumped it midway through season 3.

24 Legacy was just lazy writing. Lack of creativity and passion for the genre. They could have easily made a twist revealing the season took place between the previous 24 seasons, and have classic characters make cameos (even the ones that died in later seasons). But nope, just a boring season involving middle eastern terrorists. How original...
Old 09-26-18, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Huge hype from the network and the the format is interesting/different. I really like Kiefer Sutherland as an actor and it's the show that launched Elisha Cuthbert career. Yet every season I would start watching, get a little bored or just stop. Then in later seasons the show was so deep into throw back characters, themes etc it felt pointless to jump in so late.

I keep thinking some day I'll buy the series or watch it all on streaming. Seems like a binge watch friendly show.

honestly most serialized mythology shows I really like are all canceled with in the first season, if they even make it that far. The X-files and Lost both set network tv on a path of really making shows with a mystery like hook and of course, they don't get a full series run.

Just that fact alone has made sort of avoid all serialized shows until they end and wrap up. Fringe? Looks great! Still did not watch it but plan to later. Breaking Bad? Even as it was winning all the awards I still waited it out until it wrapped up.
I'm not getting burned anymore by shows that just randomly end.

Too much other stuff to watch.
Old 09-26-18, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Lost
While I didn't end up hating it all, the last season soured me so, that I don't see myself ever rewatching. Which is a shame because I really loved seasons 1-5.

The Walking Dead
Turned to utter dog shit around season 5 as I recall.
Old 09-26-18, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Castle Rock just became the latest on my list.
Old 09-26-18, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Almost everything ends up with a rather disappointing end. So many writers just seem unable to come up with satisfactory endings to their stories.

Castle Rock ended up pretty bad as one of the latest disappointments.

The Walking Dead became a shitfest several seasons ago.

Heroes went downhill after the first season and just got worse and worse. The reboot was utter shit.

Sleepy Hollow went to shit after it's first season.

And many that seemed good, got canceled abruptly without any sort of conclusion...
Old 09-26-18, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I absolutely love Ian Mcshane but American Gods was just awful and I stopped watching about halfway through. Just unwatchable/unfollowable for me.
Old 09-26-18, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Heroes post season 1, and especially Reborn, had no hype, and deservedly so. That show sunk like a rock, partially because of the writer's strike and partially because they kept on having the problem where someone becomes too powerful and had to be neutered, only to have it happen again and again.

That's the problem with a lot of mystery box shows, when actually solving the mystery is anticlimactic and/or nonsensical.
Old 09-26-18, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I won’t say hate but disappointing:
Revolution
Under the Dome
Heroes (new and old)

There are only shows that had more than one season. I wasn’t thrilled with shows like Orphan Black and Lost as the end but won’t say disappointed.
Old 09-26-18, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Heroes post season 1, and especially Reborn, had no hype, and deservedly so. That show sunk like a rock, partially because of the writer's strike and partially because they kept on having the problem where someone becomes too powerful and had to be neutered, only to have it happen again and again.

That's the problem with a lot of mystery box shows, when actually solving the mystery is anticlimactic and/or nonsensical.
That is what's happening. Too many high-concept shows are being plotted with very little forethought. Given the high cancellation rates, television writers just don't plan much beyond the first 6-8 episodes. The writers never have an ultimate answer in mind and stick to it.

Disappointing shows that fall under this pattern for me:

Shooter - Loved the first season, but keeping Isaac in the fold afterwards was an unforgivable story choice.

Pretty Little Liars - The first season was fairly brilliant in concept and the mystery kept everyone on edge. By the third season, the convoluted plotting and ongoing necessity to add mystery on top of mystery ruined what I liked about the show. I regret watching for several seasons past the first season.

Quantico - Enjoyed the first half of season one on ABC, but I knew the premise itself would end up destroying the show. It was a concept made for a limited series, not an ongoing mystery. That is probably the worst mistake a network can make, fashioning a show out of a premise better suited for a limited series with a definite ending.
Old 09-26-18, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think it's always a lack of forethought, some shows have some kind of bible and the various conclusions to things they set up, as they should. However, network TV seems to go at a breakneck pace and doesn't usually allow you to conclude when you want to; sometimes that means ending early, sometimes it means going far beyond what the original creators intended, resulting in needless padding or tacking on storylines afterwards without the careful consideration the first season or so had.

Veronica Mars is a perfect example: what an incredible, intricately plotted first season, then it became more soap opera-like and kind of diminished, and by the time we got to the college years, while still decent, it was nowhere near what it once was.

Also, after a few seasons of build up, there are some mysteries/shows that just can't have a conclusion that will please everyone. And then you have those shows where the conclusion just ruins the show entirely, ie: HIMYM.
Old 09-26-18, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lost for me. Loved the premise, great first season, some very memorable characters.

But the writers clearly had no plan, and were essentially rebooting what was important every half season or season. Completely jumped the shark when they introduced time travel. Just writers pulling stuff out of their asses and the final season actively pissed me off.

Walking Dead was always kind of overrated. Early seasons were slow as fuck and honestly Rick Grimes is just an annoying fuck.

Heroes turned to shit pretty much immediately to the point I could comfortably stop watching.
Old 09-26-18, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post

Shooter - Loved the first season, but keeping Isaac in the fold afterwards was an unforgivable story choice.

Quantico - Enjoyed the first half of season one on ABC, but I knew the premise itself would end up destroying the show. It was a concept made for a limited series, not an ongoing mystery. That is probably the worst mistake a network can make, fashioning a show out of a premise better suited for a limited series with a definite ending.
Hit the nail on the head with Quantico. So much hype and so dreadfully bad. Remember someone calling it the Grey's Anatomy of the spy world.

Shooter was very good 1st season. Decent in the 2nd season. But I dumped it shortly into the 3rd season. I don't think I'd call it 'hyped' though.

I couldn't stand Heroes. That had a ton of hype. I think I dumped it after 3 or 4 episodes.

Lost was great the first 3 seasons (up to the Oceanic 6), but quickly declined after that.

Haven't seen it mentioned yet but I would add Star Trek: Discovery.

Last edited by Red Dog; 09-26-18 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-26-18, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Revenge is my number 1. If it would have just been 1-2 seasons it would have wrapped up nicely but they kept making more seasons and dragging it out.
Old 09-26-18, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Heroes came to mind first. That show took an absolute nose dive in quality.

Lost, every single episode after the episode where Locke blew up the submarine which could have saved them.

Revolution disappointed me in the sense that it had some good ideas but didn't execute well. I enjoyed what we got.