Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26/19

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26/19

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-19, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

Who is Lan and what is WOT?
Old 08-05-19, 07:18 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

Originally Posted by whotony
Who is Lan and what is WOT?
Wheel of Time is a show coming to Amazon. Based on a book series. https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/Al%27Lan_Mandragoran
Old 08-05-19, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Wheel of Time is a show coming to Amazon. Based on a book series. https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/Al%27Lan_Mandragoran
Wait, what's a book? Is that like a comic without pictures?
Old 08-05-19, 08:03 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Wait, what's a book? Is that like a comic without pictures?
Never heard of it.

Seriously, if you don't read (novels) you're only cheating yourself. Someone recommended Robin Hobb's Assassin's Apprentice (and connected novels) to me and they're some of the best Fantasy I've read in years. Hopefully someone will adapt that for the screen. Still waiting for Gene Wolfe's novels to be adapted.
Old 08-05-19, 08:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mugwump
Antony Starr is perfect as Homelander. He has the same dead eyes and a smile that doesn't quite reach them that he did in Banshee.

what else was he in he looks familiar
Old 08-05-19, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by Dscarpad

what else was he in he looks familiar
He's most famous for Banshee on Cinemax.

He also starred on some CBS summer series American Gothic that no one watched.
Old 08-05-19, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Still waiting for Gene Wolfe's novels to be adapted.
Which ones, The Shadow of the Torturer? Not a book title I'd expect to poll well with mainstream audiences.
Old 08-05-19, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Antony Starr killed it in Banshee but he is next level as Homelander.

This show pretty much ruins all other comic shows.
Old 08-05-19, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Finisher
Antony Starr killed it in Banshee but he is next level as Homelander.

This show pretty much ruins all other comic shows.
Totally agree. This is not a great comic show. It is a great show, period.
Old 08-05-19, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,748 Likes on 1,893 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
He's most famous for Banshee on Cinemax.

He also starred on some CBS summer series American Gothic that no one watched.
Homelander sort of reminds me of Stifler from American Pie. The blond hair, the shit-eating smirk, the dickhead attitude. Which is weird, because until The Boys, I would have never gotten that out of Starr. He's nearly unrecognizable from his Banshee role here.
Old 08-05-19, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,246 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Never heard of it.

Seriously, if you don't read (novels) you're only cheating yourself. Someone recommended Robin Hobb's Assassin's Apprentice (and connected novels) to me and they're some of the best Fantasy I've read in years. Hopefully someone will adapt that for the screen. Still waiting for Gene Wolfe's novels to be adapted.
I hate to say it, but ^that is part of why I don’t read more books. Everything these days has to be a damned series or trilogy.

On that note, I recently realized I have started reading a number of trilogies only to never read the final book: The Strain series, the Southern Reach series, and even *gasp* The Lord of the Rings.
Old 08-05-19, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Homelander sort of reminds me of Stifler from American Pie. The blond hair, the shit-eating smirk, the dickhead attitude. Which is weird, because until The Boys, I would have never gotten that out of Starr. He's nearly unrecognizable from his Banshee role here.
I said earlier that I thought he was Zach Morris with superpowers. Not just the look, but just the manipulative attitude of “I can do no wrong and everybody is just hear to serve my purposes” mixed with the emotional IQ of a child.
Old 08-05-19, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by melasnus
Am I the only one having to put the Subtitles On with this series?
Can barely understand Urban, and Frenchy is a complete impossibility...

Good news on S2.
I have 2 more episodes to go on S1.
You aren’t the first person I have heard that from. It is very rare that I have an issue with accents, so I’m a little stumped on this one. They seemed pretty straight forward to me.
Old 08-06-19, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

You aren’t the first person I have heard that from. It is very rare that I have an issue with accents, so I’m a little stumped on this one. They seemed pretty straight forward to me.
Me too, I'm not good with accents generally but theirs I didn't have an issue with at all. Maybe because I CC pretty much anything I stream now since voice volume has been inconsistent.
Old 08-06-19, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
Me too, I'm not good with accents generally but theirs I didn't have an issue with at all. Maybe because I CC pretty much anything I stream now since voice volume has been inconsistent.
I do that but more because of background noise. But it really sucks reading something in subtitles before the character has a chance to say it.
Old 08-06-19, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,021 Likes on 630 Posts

^Yes, I hate that. Especially on reality/competition shows where they announce a winner and/or loser at the end of each episode.

And I didn't notice it with this show, but sometimes the spoken dialogue will deviate from the CC lines because the CC was created using an earlier draft of the script but revisions were made during filming, resulting in some differences.
Old 08-06-19, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Here I am thinking I am all done with anything comic books and I watch this fucking show and I absolutely loved every second. Possibly because it is an anit-super hero show, but still it just felt almost perfect to me. The final twist was not a twist but they built to it extremely well. Easily my favorite show this year, and maybe one of my favorites all time. It's like they took all the best elements of Watchmen, plunked down Alan Moore's Miracleman in the middle of it, and surrounded it with a NC-17 version of a Breaking Bad structure. It was absolutely phenomenal. So layered and deep. 8 episodes seriously sucks balls though. Acting was phenomenal. Dialogue was perfect. Cant wait until season 2 and will definitely watch Season 1 over. Only slight quibble is that Compound V could never have even been kept as secret as it was in the show in any way with what they were doing with it. Watched on a whim because I say a commercial or something. So glad I did.

BTW: Urban would be perfect as Lan in the WOT show.
I agree about the compound V thing. If they are literally telling all the parents that they are making their kids Supes, there is absolutely no way that doesn't leak everywhere sooner.
Old 08-06-19, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

I said earlier that I thought he was Zach Morris with superpowers. Not just the look, but just the manipulative attitude of “I can do no wrong and everybody is just hear to serve my purposes” mixed with the emotional IQ of a child.

Would love to see a "Homelander is Trash" youtube series.
Old 08-06-19, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I agree about the compound V thing. If they are literally telling all the parents that they are making their kids Supes, there is absolutely no way that doesn't leak everywhere sooner.
I thought the same thing...Compound V goes from a mysterious black program that no one even acknowledges the existence of to all kinds of people knew about it minutes later. Hundreds of parents were either applying for or being recruited to have their kids get on it and make them into Supes. If they were applying for it, how did they even know about it in the first place? If they were recruited, what about all the people who said "No thanks?"

But the show as a whole is great so I don't mind ignoring this obvious plot hole.
Old 08-06-19, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Do we know that most/all supes were kids with regular lives before? Or could most of them be "homegrown" like Homelander?
Old 08-06-19, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
I thought the same thing...Compound V goes from a mysterious black program that no one even acknowledges the existence of to all kinds of people knew about it minutes later. Hundreds of parents were either applying for or being recruited to have their kids get on it and make them into Supes. If they were applying for it, how did they even know about it in the first place? If they were recruited, what about all the people who said "No thanks?"

But the show as a whole is great so I don't mind ignoring this obvious plot hole.
Probably they were confronted about it at the hospital and if they said no they were terminated. As for leaks, signing NDAs, threatened with death or kidnapping, etc.. could attribute to the parents keeping their mouth shut... But I agree that at some point at least SOMEBODY would have leaked something. Whether it be a parent telling their kid finally and the kid telling a friend, or whatever. Keeping it that secret for 20+ years is a bit of a stretch regardless of countermeasures.
Old 08-07-19, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Finished tonight.
What an excellent series!

Dynamite writing...edge-of-my-seat stuff to the final scene.

The actors' performances were tremendous.
Particularly memorable was Urban, Homelander, and Starlight.
I can't think of another new series that had so many fine performances this year.
IMO, good enough to deserve some awards at the EOY.

Congrats to Kripke and crew for succeeding so brilliantly.
Old 08-07-19, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Before the advent of streaming we'd have never gotten a show like this. We got 10 years of "no flights, no tights" with Smallville and that was on a niche, at the time, channel. Now we get a full fledged super "hero" show complete with costumes and outlandish powers. I love it.
Old 08-07-19, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Before the advent of streaming we'd have never gotten a show like this. We got 10 years of "no flights, no tights" with Smallville and that was on a niche, at the time, channel. Now we get a full fledged super "hero" show complete with costumes and outlandish powers. I love it.

Old 08-07-19, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I thought often of Heroes while watching The Boys. That show had a somewhat similar premise of "what would the real world look like with superheroes," but for whatever reasons (budgetary, fear of coming across too nerdy), it often felt like Heroes did as much as possible to limit the screentime given to displays of power in favor of lots of talky drama. I found it really frustrating, even during the first (and only good) season. So it was awesome to see The Boys actually show super powers being used quite often. And I'm glad the show was not averse to showing the characters wearing loud and colorful superhero costumes, although I did often wonder why none of the 7, aside from Starlight, ever wore civilian clothes. Even in private. It was odd and sometimes funny. The Deep even went grocery shopping in his costume, albeit with a jacket on top.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.