Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26/19

Old 08-05-19, 07:13 PM
  #126  
DVD Talk Legend
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 19,008
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

Who is Lan and what is WOT?
whotony is offline  
Old 08-05-19, 07:18 PM
  #127  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27,290
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
Who is Lan and what is WOT?
Wheel of Time is a show coming to Amazon. Based on a book series. https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/Al%27Lan_Mandragoran
dex14 is offline  
Old 08-05-19, 07:21 PM
  #128  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 26,999
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Wheel of Time is a show coming to Amazon. Based on a book series. https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/Al%27Lan_Mandragoran
Wait, what's a book? Is that like a comic without pictures?
fujishig is offline  
Old 08-05-19, 08:03 PM
  #129  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Somewhere in the boonies, MA
Posts: 7,399
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Wait, what's a book? Is that like a comic without pictures?
Never heard of it.

Seriously, if you don't read (novels) you're only cheating yourself. Someone recommended Robin Hobb's Assassin's Apprentice (and connected novels) to me and they're some of the best Fantasy I've read in years. Hopefully someone will adapt that for the screen. Still waiting for Gene Wolfe's novels to be adapted.
Eric F is offline  
Old 08-05-19, 08:38 PM
  #130  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 21
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

Originally Posted by mugwump View Post
Antony Starr is perfect as Homelander. He has the same dead eyes and a smile that doesn't quite reach them that he did in Banshee.

what else was he in he looks familiar
Dscarpad is offline  
Old 08-05-19, 08:50 PM
  #131  
DVD Talk Godfather
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 55,067
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

Originally Posted by Dscarpad View Post



what else was he in he looks familiar
He's most famous for Banshee on Cinemax.

He also starred on some CBS summer series American Gothic that no one watched.
DJariya is offline  
Old 08-05-19, 09:18 PM
  #132  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,194
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
Still waiting for Gene Wolfe's novels to be adapted.
Which ones, The Shadow of the Torturer? Not a book title I'd expect to poll well with mainstream audiences.
randian is offline  
Old 08-05-19, 09:49 PM
  #133  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Finisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,482
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

Antony Starr killed it in Banshee but he is next level as Homelander.

This show pretty much ruins all other comic shows.
Finisher is offline  
Old 08-05-19, 10:04 PM
  #134  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Twin Cities, US of A
Posts: 12,660
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

Originally Posted by Finisher View Post
Antony Starr killed it in Banshee but he is next level as Homelander.

This show pretty much ruins all other comic shows.
Totally agree. This is not a great comic show. It is a great show, period.
Bill Needle is offline  
Old 08-05-19, 10:17 PM
  #135  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 30,665
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
He's most famous for Banshee on Cinemax.

He also starred on some CBS summer series American Gothic that no one watched.
Homelander sort of reminds me of Stifler from American Pie. The blond hair, the shit-eating smirk, the dickhead attitude. Which is weird, because until The Boys, I would have never gotten that out of Starr. He's nearly unrecognizable from his Banshee role here.
Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 08-05-19, 10:25 PM
  #136  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 20,113
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
Never heard of it.

Seriously, if you don't read (novels) you're only cheating yourself. Someone recommended Robin Hobb's Assassin's Apprentice (and connected novels) to me and they're some of the best Fantasy I've read in years. Hopefully someone will adapt that for the screen. Still waiting for Gene Wolfe's novels to be adapted.
I hate to say it, but ^that is part of why I donít read more books. Everything these days has to be a damned series or trilogy.

On that note, I recently realized I have started reading a number of trilogies only to never read the final book: The Strain series, the Southern Reach series, and even *gasp* The Lord of the Rings.
Abob Teff is offline  
Old 08-05-19, 10:28 PM
  #137  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 20,113
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Homelander sort of reminds me of Stifler from American Pie. The blond hair, the shit-eating smirk, the dickhead attitude. Which is weird, because until The Boys, I would have never gotten that out of Starr. He's nearly unrecognizable from his Banshee role here.
I said earlier that I thought he was Zach Morris with superpowers. Not just the look, but just the manipulative attitude of ďI can do no wrong and everybody is just hear to serve my purposesĒ mixed with the emotional IQ of a child.
Abob Teff is offline  
Old 08-05-19, 10:29 PM
  #138  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 20,113
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

Originally Posted by melasnus View Post
Am I the only one having to put the Subtitles On with this series?
Can barely understand Urban, and Frenchy is a complete impossibility...

Good news on S2.
I have 2 more episodes to go on S1.
You arenít the first person I have heard that from. It is very rare that I have an issue with accents, so Iím a little stumped on this one. They seemed pretty straight forward to me.
Abob Teff is offline  
Old 08-06-19, 08:44 AM
  #139  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 12,898
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post


You arenít the first person I have heard that from. It is very rare that I have an issue with accents, so Iím a little stumped on this one. They seemed pretty straight forward to me.
Me too, I'm not good with accents generally but theirs I didn't have an issue with at all. Maybe because I CC pretty much anything I stream now since voice volume has been inconsistent.
Timber is offline  
Old 08-06-19, 08:49 AM
  #140  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 26,999
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Me too, I'm not good with accents generally but theirs I didn't have an issue with at all. Maybe because I CC pretty much anything I stream now since voice volume has been inconsistent.
I do that but more because of background noise. But it really sucks reading something in subtitles before the character has a chance to say it.
fujishig is offline  
Old 08-06-19, 10:22 AM
  #141  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Cellar Door's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,323
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

^Yes, I hate that. Especially on reality/competition shows where they announce a winner and/or loser at the end of each episode.

And I didn't notice it with this show, but sometimes the spoken dialogue will deviate from the CC lines because the CC was created using an earlier draft of the script but revisions were made during filming, resulting in some differences.
Cellar Door is offline  
Old 08-06-19, 11:39 AM
  #142  
DVD Talk Legend
 
spainlinx0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 14,724
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
Here I am thinking I am all done with anything comic books and I watch this fucking show and I absolutely loved every second. Possibly because it is an anit-super hero show, but still it just felt almost perfect to me. The final twist was not a twist but they built to it extremely well. Easily my favorite show this year, and maybe one of my favorites all time. It's like they took all the best elements of Watchmen, plunked down Alan Moore's Miracleman in the middle of it, and surrounded it with a NC-17 version of a Breaking Bad structure. It was absolutely phenomenal. So layered and deep. 8 episodes seriously sucks balls though. Acting was phenomenal. Dialogue was perfect. Cant wait until season 2 and will definitely watch Season 1 over. Only slight quibble is that Compound V could never have even been kept as secret as it was in the show in any way with what they were doing with it. Watched on a whim because I say a commercial or something. So glad I did.

BTW: Urban would be perfect as Lan in the WOT show.
I agree about the compound V thing. If they are literally telling all the parents that they are making their kids Supes, there is absolutely no way that doesn't leak everywhere sooner.
spainlinx0 is offline  
Old 08-06-19, 11:47 AM
  #143  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,731
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post


I said earlier that I thought he was Zach Morris with superpowers. Not just the look, but just the manipulative attitude of ďI can do no wrong and everybody is just hear to serve my purposesĒ mixed with the emotional IQ of a child.

Would love to see a "Homelander is Trash" youtube series.
Big Boy Laroux is offline  
Old 08-06-19, 01:55 PM
  #144  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Twin Cities, US of A
Posts: 12,660
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
I agree about the compound V thing. If they are literally telling all the parents that they are making their kids Supes, there is absolutely no way that doesn't leak everywhere sooner.
I thought the same thing...Compound V goes from a mysterious black program that no one even acknowledges the existence of to all kinds of people knew about it minutes later. Hundreds of parents were either applying for or being recruited to have their kids get on it and make them into Supes. If they were applying for it, how did they even know about it in the first place? If they were recruited, what about all the people who said "No thanks?"

But the show as a whole is great so I don't mind ignoring this obvious plot hole.
Bill Needle is offline  
Old 08-06-19, 01:58 PM
  #145  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 11,556
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

Do we know that most/all supes were kids with regular lives before? Or could most of them be "homegrown" like Homelander?
Noonan is offline  
Old 08-06-19, 02:21 PM
  #146  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Koby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Isle de Muerta
Posts: 1,659
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
I thought the same thing...Compound V goes from a mysterious black program that no one even acknowledges the existence of to all kinds of people knew about it minutes later. Hundreds of parents were either applying for or being recruited to have their kids get on it and make them into Supes. If they were applying for it, how did they even know about it in the first place? If they were recruited, what about all the people who said "No thanks?"

But the show as a whole is great so I don't mind ignoring this obvious plot hole.
Probably they were confronted about it at the hospital and if they said no they were terminated. As for leaks, signing NDAs, threatened with death or kidnapping, etc.. could attribute to the parents keeping their mouth shut... But I agree that at some point at least SOMEBODY would have leaked something. Whether it be a parent telling their kid finally and the kid telling a friend, or whatever. Keeping it that secret for 20+ years is a bit of a stretch regardless of countermeasures.
Koby is online now  
Old 08-07-19, 02:13 AM
  #147  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1,884
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

Finished tonight.
What an excellent series!

Dynamite writing...edge-of-my-seat stuff to the final scene.

The actors' performances were tremendous.
Particularly memorable was Urban, Homelander, and Starlight.
I can't think of another new series that had so many fine performances this year.
IMO, good enough to deserve some awards at the EOY.

Congrats to Kripke and crew for succeeding so brilliantly.
melasnus is offline  
Old 08-07-19, 06:34 AM
  #148  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 12,898
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

Before the advent of streaming we'd have never gotten a show like this. We got 10 years of "no flights, no tights" with Smallville and that was on a niche, at the time, channel. Now we get a full fledged super "hero" show complete with costumes and outlandish powers. I love it.
Timber is offline  
Old 08-07-19, 12:12 PM
  #149  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1,884
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Before the advent of streaming we'd have never gotten a show like this. We got 10 years of "no flights, no tights" with Smallville and that was on a niche, at the time, channel. Now we get a full fledged super "hero" show complete with costumes and outlandish powers. I love it.

melasnus is offline  
Old 08-07-19, 12:30 PM
  #150  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Mr. Flix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,647
Re: The Boys (Amazon) C: Rogen, Goldberg, Kripke -- based on the comic -- S: Karl Urban -- premieres 7/26

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Before the advent of streaming we'd have never gotten a show like this. We got 10 years of "no flights, no tights" with Smallville and that was on a niche, at the time, channel. Now we get a full fledged super "hero" show complete with costumes and outlandish powers. I love it.
I thought often of Heroes while watching The Boys. That show had a somewhat similar premise of "what would the real world look like with superheroes," but for whatever reasons (budgetary, fear of coming across too nerdy), it often felt like Heroes did as much as possible to limit the screentime given to displays of power in favor of lots of talky drama. I found it really frustrating, even during the first (and only good) season. So it was awesome to see The Boys actually show super powers being used quite often. And I'm glad the show was not averse to showing the characters wearing loud and colorful superhero costumes, although I did often wonder why none of the 7, aside from Starlight, ever wore civilian clothes. Even in private. It was odd and sometimes funny. The Deep even went grocery shopping in his costume, albeit with a jacket on top.
Mr. Flix is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.