Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Rebels (Disney XD) -- Fourth & Final Season Thread -- premieres 10/16/17

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Wars: Rebels (Disney XD) -- Fourth & Final Season Thread -- premieres 10/16/17

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-18, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Rebels (Disney XD) -- Fourth & Final Season Thread -- premieres 10/16/

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
Wow, that was pretty damn epic. I wish Disney would just give Filoni his own live action trilogy to write.

My son and I really enjoyed the finale.

Wonder what kind of successor series is in the works.
Old 03-07-18, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Star Wars: Rebels (Disney XD) -- Fourth & Final Season Thread -- premieres 10/16/

Originally Posted by hdtv00
Yea not thrilled how it ended either. But if one day we get Ahsoka looking for him stories or series hell yea would be epic.
My son mentioned that right away - Ashoka and Sabine searching for Ezra.
Old 03-07-18, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by B.A.

My son and I really enjoyed the finale.

Wonder what kind of successor series is in the works.
They’ve been making copyrights for something called Resistance, which could be the next show, but who knows? I hope there’s an announcement soon. I halfway expected one this week.
Old 03-08-18, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 03-19-18, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Great finale, I still have to catch up with much of the series otherwise, but it all pretty much made sense to me.

It's odd that they introduced time travel, brought back Ahsoka, then she does nothing, they don't (to my knowledge) explain where she was during the OT, and the only point of bringing her back is to join Sabine on some wacky adventures. I mean weren't they implying that the Emperor had access to this time travel tech? Or do we just assume he was lying?
Old 03-19-18, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

A great series finale. Rebels might not have hit the heights that Clone Wars did but I liked having more main characters to get to know and Ezra’s trick was damn good.
Old 02-01-20, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,890 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Rebels (Disney XD) -- Fourth & Final Season Thread -- premieres 10/16/17

Dunno if this worth starting a new thread for, so I'll put it here.

Looks like we might have some info about the follow-up to Rebels:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLea...rebels_sequel/

Should probably be taken with a lot of salt...

Spoiler:
Yes, I have a source for all this, moving on:
  • Release of Season 1 is almost certainly Winter 2020.
  • Sabine and Ahsoka find Ezra by following the Purgill. Ahsoka communes with them through the force and they take the two to the Unknown Regions.
  • It's revealed that Thrawn actually re-established contact with Palpatine some time shortly after the Battle of Yavin. With the Grysk threat ever-encroaching and the Empire now in crisis after the destruction of the Death Star, Palpatine and Thrawn enacted a plan in which Palpatine would secretly send personnel, resources and ships to Thrawn in the Unknown Regions, so that he could deal with the Grysk directly while Palpatine and Vader dealt with the now on the rise rebellion. Thrawn has been secretly using these resources, as well as resources from the Ascendancy, to create the Empire of the Hand. With its capital situated on Nirauan the EOTH has grown into its own entity, with a really unique aesthetic that's a sort of blend of Chiss and Imperial design. The TIE Defender was put into proper mass production and the tech was combined with Chiss tech to create an even more powerful fighter: The clawcraft.
  • The Empire of the Hand and the Chiss Ascendancy have been co-operating as allies against the Grysk. With Imperial support, the war is going well, when Sabine and Ahsoka arrive they find the tide beginning to turn against the Grysk. Ezra has been fighting in this war, leading both Chiss and Empire of the Hand armies as he sees the Grysk as a threat to the Rebellion. He's grown quite fond of the Chiss in his time in the Ascendancy, being fluent in their language. He's quite... “different” in this show, apparently his experiences in the war have changed him somewhat. He still has his issues with Thrawn but has come to begrudgingly respect him as they have a common enemy.
  • A heavy focus of the series is the tumultuous state of the Chiss Ascendancy. The Chiss are on the verge of a civil war, only kept at bay by the presence of outside forces. Thrawn's brother Thrass is a leading politician in the government, a man just as smart at politics as Thrawn is at warfare. Born a commoner he's grown to hate the bickering nature of the families. His proposals for radical reforms and a centralization of the Ascendancy are viewed by many of the families as tyrannical. Thrawn himself is mistrusted by many elements of the Chiss government, with some believing he's more loyal to the Empire than his people and wary of the large military force he's built.
  • The relationship between Ezra and Thrawn's niece doesn't appear to be romantic in nature, there's another Chiss woman who instead appears to be Ezra's love interest (apparently they've flipped back and forth in the writer's room on this). A kind of Han Solo-esque mercenary/freelancer who was formerly a Skywalker who lost her force sensitivity. She'll likely be a fan favourite in the same vein as Doctor Aphra, as she travels around with...
  • HK-47, yes, he's in this, apparently Filoni really wanted HK-47 in this series. Said merc from earlier found him and fixed him up. His memory is frazzled but occasionally snippets get through, Revan is mentioned directly at least once.
  • The Grysk are only a temporary villain, leading up to the main antagonist. Its revealed that the reason they're expanding so rapidly all of a sudden is because they're fleeing from an even bigger force. Ezra and Thrawn have been investigating this greater enemy, and its revealed to be none other than the Yuuzhan Vong.
  • The main Vong invasion force is a long way away, the main villain of the series is instead a rogue warlord called the “Voidlord”. The Voidlord and his forces are the descendants of scouts who got trapped in the hard to navigate unknown regions thousands of years ago and were unable to return to the main fleet.
  • The Voidlord is a force to be reckoned with. Apparently he wears a squid on his head as a sort of living helmet which he affectionately talks to like a pet, giving him a very Cthulhu like appearance. He's a military genius, even a match for Thrawn, and with lightsaber proof armour he's a terrifyingly powerful combatant. If any of you remember Grievous from the 2003 clone wars cartoon, he's that, but with the smarts of Thrawn, and he's been manipulating the Grysk into attacking the Ascendancy so he can wipe out the tattered remnants. Him and his followers have abandoned the worship of the old Vong pantheon, instead revering an entity known as the "Mnggal-Mnggal", a mysterious sentient grey parasitic liquid that can possess people. The Voidlord and his followers frequently sacrifice people to this entity to be possessed, and the Mnggal-Mnggal speaks to the Voidlord through a possessed Vong priest known as the "Oracle".
  • Filoni, as usual, is really delving deep into the Expanded Universe lore for content here, there's plans for all sorts of old EU content to appear. Soontir Fel is a pilot in the Empire of the Hand, and other species like the Vagaari, the Kiliks and the Ssi-Ruu are on the table.

Lot of salt. Sounds pretty good, but a lot are going to find it kind of fan-ficcy with all of the old EU references.

And I'm not sure what they mean by "formerly a Skywalker who lost [their] Force sensitivity." Did they mean "Jedi?"
Old 08-05-21, 03:09 PM

Received 1,925 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Rebels (Disney XD) -- Fourth & Final Season Thread -- premieres 10/16/17

I just finished watching the entire Rebels series for the first time and I really enjoyed it.

I haven't had cable for years so I've never watched any of the Star Wars cartoons. I watched a smattering of Clone Wars in the first few seasons but that was about it, never got around to it on Netflix or at least it didn't hold me. I'll give it a shot at some point. As for Rebels, when all the Disney Infinity characters went on clearance this crew was the only crew I didn't pick up, figuring I'd never even watch the show, so whatever.

Then came Disney+ and a little extra free time.

I really enjoyed the series. I couldn't believe how much I enjoyed it. The whole thing really felt like Star Wars. Good tie-ins to the world we know, good expansion of the universe overall. Interesting loose ends tied up, new mysteries revealed. I was very satisfied with it, overall. I wasn't going to try this, but I've been watching The Bad Batch weekly as my first weekly Star Wars show and hearing that Padawan at the beginning was from Rebels got me interested to fill the background during the days while working from home. I eventually watched it more at night so I could more fully enjoy it. Wonderful show, a good precursor of what was eventually to come in live action, etc. from Disney+ and it's interesting to see some of the speculation on storylines, Dave Filoni, etc. on what would happen next. We've seen and/or will see some of that happen!

Good show, glad I watched it.
Old 08-05-21, 03:34 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
And I'm not sure what they mean by "formerly a Skywalker who lost [their] Force sensitivity." Did they mean "Jedi?"
In the Chiss Ascendency trilogy, we are introduced to "Skywalkers" - pre-adolescent Chiss females that act as navigators for the Ascendency. Their ability to tap into the Force gives them a foresight that can be used to guide the ship. As they age, the lose the connection to that ability.

There are are also Pathfinders - individuals from non-Chiss species - that also have the same abilities.

The first two books in the Chiss Ascendancy trilogy are out now (Chaos Rising and Greater Good) are out now with the last one (Lesser Evil) coming out this Fall.

Note to others, parts of Rebels are interwoven in the "new" Thrawn trilogy (Thrawn, Alliances, and Treason).

Last edited by Goldberg74; 08-05-21 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-06-21, 01:18 PM

"Return to Kamino" (S01E15), the penultimate episode, did not disappoint.

That's all that I am going to say!

Old 08-06-21, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
"Return to Kamino" (S01E15), the penultimate episode, did not disappoint.

That's all that I am going to say!
Well, that's great for The Bad Batch (and I agree it was great & I can't wait for next week) but this is a Rebels thread

Old 08-06-21, 02:06 PM

Not only did Goldberg74 ignore my review of my experience watching all of Rebels this month, he also ignored that this is a Rebels thread!
Old 08-06-21, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by story
Not only did Goldberg74 ignore my review of my experience watching all of Rebels this month, he also ignored that this is a Rebels thread!
It's been a long summer... I can't wait for school to start again.

Too many Star Wars Threads.

Okay, let me go back and read your review...
Old 08-06-21, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I really enjoyed Rebels a lot as well, in fact I would consider Hera my favorite Star Wars character now.
Old 08-06-21, 02:41 PM

I just finished watching the entire Rebels series for the first time and I really enjoyed it.
I finished the series on Disney+ after catching the first season or so on Netflix. It started slow for me but then I really got into it and burned through the later seasons quickly.

I haven't had cable for years so I've never watched any of the Star Wars cartoons. I watched a smattering of Clone Wars in the first few seasons but that was about it, never got around to it on Netflix or at least it didn't hold me. I'll give it a shot at some point.
While I preferred the art and animation from Genndy's original 2003 series (simply named Star Wars: Clone Wars), it took awhile for me to get used to the 2008 series 3D style (where they added the "The" to the title - Star Wars: The Clone Wars).

But I watched it the same way that you did - a few eps here and there. The "News Reel" recaps started to get to me and some of the episodes seemed to drag on and on and on. I think I made it part way through Season 3 before I stopped watching. I always had good intentions to go back to it, but never did.

I tried to restart the series earlier this summer, but only got a few episodes into it.

Everyone tells me just to jump into Season 7 (the last season) and at least watch that - to see the Clone Force 99 episodes - but the completist in me didn't want to jump ahead.

I really enjoyed the series. I couldn't believe how much I enjoyed it. The whole thing really felt like Star Wars. Good tie-ins to the world we know, good expansion of the universe overall. Interesting loose ends tied up, new mysteries revealed. I was very satisfied with it, overall. I wasn't going to try this, but I've been watching The Bad Batch weekly as my first weekly Star Wars show and hearing that Padawan at the beginning was from Rebels got me interested to fill the background during the days while working from home. I eventually watched it more at night so I could more fully enjoy it. Wonderful show, a good precursor of what was eventually to come in live action, etc. from Disney+ and it's interesting to see some of the speculation on storylines, Dave Filoni, etc. on what would happen next. We've seen and/or will see some of that happen!
When I revisted this series last year, I watched the entire series in a matter of a month (being a professor has its perks when it comes to down time).

I FREAKING LOVED IT!

Much like TBB, I liked how there were a few central characters (new ones) and complete arcs throughout the seasons. These characters had enough mystery behind them that things were kept interesting and I loved how the lore expanded.

But once Thrawn was introduced, I got giddy.

A huge fan of Timothy Zahn's original Thrawn Trilogy, I was bummed when he was bumped to the Legends line. But when I heard that he was going to be a part of the Rebels storyline, I was elated!

Having read the new Thrawn novels - which were part of a new trilogy that started in 2017 - season 4 made so much more sense to me.

The addition of Thrawn sent me over the moon. He was soooooo cool. And when the series wrapped, I was stunned.

I wanted more... and I hope we get a lot more (even if it is live action - hint, hint).

Good show, glad I watched it.
Me too.

Last edited by Goldberg74; 08-06-21 at 04:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
story (08-06-21)
Old 08-06-21, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Rebels is next on my watch list. I think I’m going to start it after The Bad Batch wraps up for the season.

Funnily enough prior to starting any of the animated stuff I figured it would just be kid cartoon garbage, but after actually watching them The Clone Wars and The Bad Batch have so far become some of my absolute favorites of anything Star Wars related. They’re probably second only to the Original Trilogy.
story (08-06-21)
Old 08-06-21, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
I would consider Hera my favorite Star Wars character now.
You're going to love Bad Batch eps 11 & 12
Old 08-06-21, 04:30 PM

The only weird animation piece in Rebels is they absolutely cannot make anybody look like they're actually running on a surface. Especially Zeb!
Jay G. (08-09-21)
Old 08-06-21, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
You're going to love Bad Batch eps 11 & 12
Had no intention of watching Bad Batch, but guess now I have to!
story (08-06-21)
Old 08-09-21, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

I just recently finished watching Rebels as well, having binged both The Clone Wars and then Rebels. I haven't started The Bad Batch yet, and my Disney+ promo has ended, so it'll be a while until I get to it.

I've put reviews for each season in their respective threads, so just focusing on season 4, I think they did a good job wrapping up the show and tying it into the original trilogy and even Rogue One, while also leaving some things open for other series to fill in. The most obvious open plot point is Ezra's fate. While one can imagine the rest of the crew doing various things off screen during the original films, it'd be odd if Luke never hooked up with the other Jedi in the Rebellion. So they gave Kanan a Jedi's death, but killing off both Kanan and Ezra would've been too dark, so moving Ezra off the board for the entire original trilogy was the next best thing.

Also, having seen the first two seasons of The Mandalorian...
Spoiler:
Ahsoka is looking for Thrawn, which means maybe she's looking for Ezra by tracking Thrawn? If Thrawn had managed to make contact with the Empire after the finale, Ezra may be there as well. No Sabine in that episode though, so wonder if she's still with Ahsoka, or they split up to follow separate leads or something.

It also hasn't really been explained what happened after Ezra rescued Ahsoka. Did she go back to the Sith Temple right after the Vader Duel? Was she somewhere else for the bulk of the last two seasons, and the original trilogy?

The question of what happened to Mandalore is still open. The last we saw on Rebels was Bo-Katan with the Darksaber leading the rebellion on Mandalore. So how we got from there to Mandalorian still hasn't been told.

Overall though, I enjoyed the series, and the development of the characters and emotional beats. "Wolves and a Door" and a very Indian Jones vibe to it. The series went full circle, beginning and ending on Lothal, with a small scrappy group taking on the Empire. It didn't overstay its welcome.
Old 08-09-21, 08:58 PM

I was impressed with the soundtrack, too, a mix of original, classic, and original that played with classic themes to make a pleasing variant. Well done!

Speaking of Raiders of the Lost Ark, there's at least one action track in Rebels that is clearly inspired by the Desert chase track, especially at the beginning: