Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All-Access) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/24/17

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-17, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All-Access) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/24/17

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Some random critiques though:

Seeing Lorca die repeatedly in multiple ways in that montage was fun. I never really thought of using transporters as weapons to send people into space. Wonder why the baddies of Trek didn't do this? People were always threatening to eject people out the nearest airlock though, so I guess that was the cheaper method.

- I'm going to be in the minority opinion on this, but I'm not crazy with Rainn Wilson as Mudd. I think he's trying WAAAY too hard to be DSC's version of Q. The theatrical accent and overall performance is just too over-the-top.
I would have thought transporters would have a safety feature in place that wouldn't allow you to transport a living creature into space.

Your not alone, but I dislike Rainn in most things.
Old 10-31-17, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All-Access) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/24/17

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Seeing Lorca die repeatedly in multiple ways in that montage was fun. I never really thought of using transporters as weapons to send people into space. Wonder why the baddies of Trek didn't do this? People were always threatening to eject people out the nearest airlock though, so I guess that was the cheaper method.
This has been a well known plot hole for ages. Why fire photon torpedoes when you could beam them into a ship? Why not beam the glass dome out of the top of the bridge? Sure, there's some lip service to the idea transporters can't work through shields, but that's only true when it's convenient for the plot, and it doesn't explain why transporters are never used for sneak attacks.

- I'm going to be in the minority opinion on this, but I'm not crazy with Rainn Wilson as Mudd. I think he's trying WAAAY too hard to be DSC's version of Q. The theatrical accent and overall performance is just too over-the-top.
That's how the character's always been. Wilson's Mudd is toned down compared to the original.
Old 10-31-17, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

granted it's been a while since I've watched the Mudd TOS episodes but I don't remember him being this evil

at first I was afraid this would be a rip off of the tng time loop episode but they made it unique. This one also felt more Trek like
Old 10-31-17, 08:43 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Did someone say "Mudd?"
Old 10-31-17, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mikehunt
granted it's been a while since I've watched the Mudd TOS episodes but I don't remember him being this evil
He was a human trafficker who tried to crash the Enterprise into a planet to get Kirk off his back. The reason you don't remember him as evil is because the writers decided to present him as a humorous rogue, which would not fly with modern audiences.
Old 11-01-17, 12:48 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I liked it. Mudd is portrayed as a lowlife scumbag here, and that's OK, he always was, just had a humorous bent. Nothing funny about a thief and a cutthroat.
Old 11-05-17, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Just watched last week’s episode and this show is finally getting its. Yes it a a redo of TNG’s Cause and Effect, but this time it’s driven by the characters and seeing Michael dealing with “human courtship rituals” is actually a lot of fun.

And Magic shroom Stamets is a lot of fun, especially when his partner was trying to corral him.

I’m hoping they can keep this up for the long term, it will really cement this show’s place in the franchise.
Old 11-06-17, 12:36 PM
Banned

Now I'm just lost on the Klingon plot. I have no what's going on with the female Klingon commander, why or if she even wanted to defect or it was just a ruse.
Old 11-06-17, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, that whole series of events was god awful
Old 11-06-17, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Just watched the new one. Liked the "Avatar" planet fucking with Doug Jones' character. If the season finale's preview is any indication -- the Discovery will be putting that warp drive to good use as it teleports all over the place shooting at the Klingon ships from every angle.
Old 11-08-17, 12:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
yeah, that whole series of events was god awful
It seems to me like they skipped an episode somewhere. All of a sudden things were going on that I had no frame of reference for.
Old 11-08-17, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Now I'm just lost on the Klingon plot. I have no what's going on with the female Klingon commander, why or if she even wanted to defect or it was just a ruse.
I'm going to have to Wiki the Klingon plot on this show, as I have no idea what's going on either.
Old 11-09-17, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

http://deadline.com/2017/11/star-tre...ss-1202205000/

CBS All Access has slotted the premiere date for the remaining six episodes of Season 1 of its hit original series Star Trek: Discovery. Chapter 2 returns Sunday, January 7 after 8:30 PM ET. It begins with Episode 10, “Despite Yourself”.

The first eight episodes of Star Trek: Discovery are available to stream on CBS All Access, and Episode 9, the Chapter 1 finale, will be available beginning Sunday, November 12 after 8:30 PM ET.
Old 11-13-17, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Midseason finale aired tonight.

I fell a little behind, but binged the last 5 episodes tonight including the finale.

Pretty good episode overall. Interesting cliffhanger with the Discovery being zapped into some space junkyard. Not sure what happened with Stamets to lead to that.

I like the addition of the Tyler character from a few episodes ago. I was a little annoyed with his PTSD freakout and it's timing, but when you put all the pieces together it was clear. Looks like he was subject to intense psychological and sexual torture by L'Rell. I'm not sure what was up with her saying she'll never let anyone hurt him.

I did enjoy how Michael developed in these 9 episodes. I think she more than redeemed herself from being labeled a traitor in the Pilot.

I'm glad that Kol and the ship of the dead are gone. I did get kind of tired of that plot and all those subtitles.

They have a bunch of different possibilities to take the final 6 episodes when they come back in 2 months.

The production value of these 9 hours has been incredible. I felt like I watched a 9 hour feature film. I mean this 1st part of the season reportedly cost $72M to produce at $8M per episode.
Old 11-13-17, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

I liked the fall finale as well. Poor Tyler. There were hints as to what he went through as a prisoner but it all came crashing down in this episode. I fear for his sanity in the back half of the season.

It is likely that Discovery zapped into an alternate universe (the conversation b/t Stamets and Lorca before the jump hinted at the possibility). That could lead to some interesting stories.

So far Discovery has been a relatively standard 1st season Trek series. It's uneven but there are hints of what the series is capable of.
Old 11-13-17, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think last night's episode was the best so far. A really good mix of plot, character development, and action. It's rare in tv and film to see the alpha male character reduced to being the damsel in distress character, and his PTSD was portrayed realistically. Ash has a really fucked up "relationship" with L'Rell, so it'll be interesting to see where that goes. Nice to see that Admiral Cornwell survived too. The Klingon crew's battle tactics were terrible though. They didn't even try to assess the tactical situation and deal with it somehow.

It's already been mentioned that the show will visit the Mirror Universe this season, and it looks like we're there. It would be hilarious if Mirror Lorca is nicer and more stable than our Lorca. It'll be even more awesome if Mirror Tilly will channel her inner Intendent Kira.
Old 11-13-17, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts

I enjoyed the episode with the exception that it was so incredibly obvious that something was going to happen to Lt. Stamets during his "One last jump" with all the "After this last jump I'll..." stuff.

Reminded me of Dead Meat in HotShots.

Old 11-13-17, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I enjoyed the season. I guess we have to wait just 2 months for the rest.
Old 11-13-17, 05:07 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

With Stamets and his "infinite permutations" line, I wouldn't mind a Star Trek version of Sliders and them trying to find their way home.

Liked them doing all those jumps.

Did I watch it right that Lorca intentionally screwed with the "last jump" or was he just plugging in the Starbase coordinates? Or we don't know...
Old 11-13-17, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I also think they jumped into an alternate dimension. That's why the sensors couldn't place them - nothing was where it should be.

Agreed on the strength of the fall finale. They really do put all that money on the screen. It looks better than most of the Trek films. The spore jumping effect always looks cool - when it split into two on that final jump I was like "that's not good".

I will also give them props for not going with the obvious "Tyler is a spy". He could be a sleeper, but it looked like they were setting him up for being a willing traitor in earlier episodes.

Also my wife and I both thought Stamets would turn into spores and drift away after the final jump. Glad they went a different route
Old 11-14-17, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

What was the wrecked vessel in the upper right of the last scene right before it cut to black? It was blurry, but it looked like a TNG style ship. At first I thought it was a Galaxy Class, but not sure now. but it looks loke a more advanced ship for the era they were in.
Old 11-14-17, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

This got a lot better as the series went along ... the finale really leaves a lot of things open.

I tend to think they are in an different/alternate universe .. but now I wonder if they were in an alternate universe the whole season
Old 11-14-17, 03:25 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I will also give them props for not going with the obvious "Tyler is a spy". He could be a sleeper, but it looked like they were setting him up for being a willing traitor in earlier episodes.
I thought it was finally kind of obvious with this episode that Tyler

Spoiler:
experiencing PTSD was actually flashbacks to the painful process he underwent being transformed from Klingon (Voq) to human (Tyler), along with other repressed memories. A sleeper who doesn't realize he's a a sleeper yet and his subconscious is beginning to leak the info after being triggered being on the Ship of the Dead.

I assume the Molkai Matriarchs the female Klingon took him to remade Voq into human and that's how he sacrificed "everything" in pursuit of his goal.
Old 11-14-17, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by BearFan
This got a lot better as the series went along ... the finale really leaves a lot of things open.

I tend to think they are in an different/alternate universe .. but now I wonder if they were in an alternate universe the whole season
An alternate universe would explain why the ship looks more advanced than the TOS Enterprise and why the Klingons look different.
Old 11-15-17, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Toonview
I thought it was finally kind of obvious with this episode that Tyler

Spoiler:
experiencing PTSD was actually flashbacks to the painful process he underwent being transformed from Klingon (Voq) to human (Tyler), along with other repressed memories. A sleeper who doesn't realize he's a a sleeper yet and his subconscious is beginning to leak the info after being triggered being on the Ship of the Dead.

I assume the Molkai Matriarchs the female Klingon took him to remade Voq into human and that's how he sacrificed "everything" in pursuit of his goal.
I dont know what show Draven was watching ...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.