DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All-Access) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/24/17 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/641457-star-trek-discovery-cbs-all-access-season-1-thread-premieres-9-24-17-a.html)

DJariya 09-23-17 12:14 PM

Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All-Access) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/24/17

http://cdn3-www.comingsoon.net/asset...covery0028.jpg

Star Trek, one of the most iconic and influential global television franchises, returns to television 50 years after it first premiered with STAR TREK: DISCOVERY. STAR TREK: DISCOVERY will follow the voyages of Starfleet on their missions to discover new worlds and new lifeforms, and one Starfleet officer who must learn that to truly understand all things alien, you must first understand yourself. The series will feature a new ship, new characters and new missions, while embracing the same ideology and hope for the future that inspired a generation of dreamers and doers.

STAR TREK: DISCOVERY - Sunday, Sept. 24 (8:30-9:35 PM ET/8:00-9:05 PM PT) on the CBS Television Network

"The Vulcan Hello" - Series premiere. While patrolling Federation space, the U.S.S. Shenzhou encounters an object of unknown origin, putting First Officer Michael Burnham (Sonequa Martin-Green) to her greatest test yet.

15 episode 1st season. 8 will air this Fall. The rest will air in 2018.

As most of you know, the premiere episode airs Sunday night on CBS at 8:30pm. The remaining episodes will all stream on CBS All-Access. The 2nd episode will be available Sunday night only on All-Access.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hC7IMj7WFyE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So, no one will be watching, so fully expecting this to be a dead thread. ;)

lopper 09-23-17 01:43 PM

Re: Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All-Access) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/24/17

I'm looking forward to this, the pilot anyway, but there's no scenario where I'm paying to watch the rest of the season. I feel like CBS fudged this one up from the get go.

Wolf359 09-24-17 09:51 AM

Re: Star Trek: Discovery (CBS All-Access) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 9/24/17

It's the first new TV Trek in 12 years. $6 is nothing, people wait in ridiculous lines at Starbucks to spend more on coffee. I'll support it and not steal which apparently is the "cool" thing to brag about now.

TGM 09-24-17 10:19 AM

oh i'll be watching... somehow... just not paying.

Superman07 09-24-17 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Wolf359 (Post 13163543)
It's the first new TV Trek in 12 years. $6 is nothing, people wait in ridiculous lines at Starbucks to spend more on coffee. I'll support it and not steal which apparently is the "cool" thing to brag about now.

It's not about the $6. It's about paying for individual access to all these content or rights owners via separate platforms. They see HBO doing well and want to emulate. If you don't have cable, then maybe it's not a big deal, but add up the total cost for:

HBO Go
Netflix
Starz
Amazon
Hulu

And now add more money for CBS All Access!

It even worse if you're already paying so much for basic cable as well.

TGM 09-24-17 10:49 AM

Charging $6 (with commercials no less!) for 2 unique shows and a bunch of shitty shit that can be had OTA is a lousy business model. I'm just pissed that they pulled this crap with Star Trek, a franchise dear to me, a franchise that has been on life support for a decade, a franchise that needs to attract new fans, not alienate them with a bullshit cash grab. fuck 'em and feed 'em beans.

eXcentris 09-24-17 10:58 AM

It's on the Space channel in Canada so no paying $6 for me. ;)

The epic new adventure will have its inaugural launch on September 24, beginning at 8:30pm ET (5:30pm PT) with Star Trek Discovery’s first episode, “The Vulcan Hello” (note: Sunday night’s football game may shift the start time ever so slightly).

Don’t go anywhere, because we’re airing the second episode at 9:35pm ET (6:35pm PT), “Battle at the Binary Stars”.

For anyone who doesn’t catch the Discovery premiere (or obviously wants a second viewing), we’ll replay both episodes of Star Trek: Discovery at 12am ET Sunday night, then again on Wednesday, September 27 at 9pm ET, and once more at 2am ET. We’re really trying make this easy for you!

http://www.space.ca/star-trek-discov...when-to-watch/
Space has been showing Star Trek movies (in order) all weekend.

Eric F 09-24-17 11:02 AM

For all those who don't pirate it, it will be on Blu-Ray soon enough. Obviously it will never be on Netflix in the US because of CBS All Access. That's too bad because my hard media buying habits have changed drastically over the last few years.

DJariya 09-24-17 11:09 AM

For those who want to “binge” it when all episodes are available on a free trial, you’re going to have to wait until probably next April or May because of the split season.

OldBoy 09-24-17 11:32 AM

want to bet this bombs online, gets picked up by regular CBS to air? it has to happen that way...

Groucho 09-24-17 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13163611)
want to bet this bombs online, gets picked up by regular CBS to air? it has to happen that way...

We can "make it so" by refusing to subscribe to their service. They've invested so much money into this they'll have to show it another way to make up for the lost revenue.

DJariya 09-24-17 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 13163637)
We can "make it so" by refusing to subscribe to their service. They've invested so much money into this they'll have to show it another way to make up for the lost revenue.

Netflix paid them $6M per episode for the international market rights. That's covering most of the production costs. It's going to be profitable mainly because of the international sales.

jjcool 09-24-17 01:21 PM

I'm gonna watch the first episode on TV. Not going to pay anything for the privilege of streaming it. I'm sure, if it is good, I will see it at some point. My only fear is that CBS will take the fact that very few people subscribe to their service as "People dont want more trek on TV" rather than, properly, "People don't want to pay $6 for our crappy streaming service."

hdtv00 09-24-17 07:46 PM

So much for start time and recording it . Fuck CBS. seriously.

Red Dog 09-24-17 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by hdtv00 (Post 13163937)
So much for start time and recording it . Fuck CBS. seriously.

Not aware of NFL overruns? rotfl

DJariya 09-24-17 08:05 PM

If you want good trollish entertainment, go to the Star Trek facebook. Those angry Trekkies are fucking crazy. rotfl

Orbi-Wan Techno 09-24-17 08:06 PM

Eh, just set my DVR to record NCIS LA, as well. Not worried about missing Discovery.

Rex Power Colt-Robot Man 09-24-17 08:53 PM

hmm. kinda terrible. not for me in the slightest.

Ky-Fi 09-24-17 08:56 PM

I really liked it. Sonequa was one of my favorites on Walking Dead, and I think she's a pretty cool lead. Nice opening credits and theme music, and the whole thing felt a little more epic and less stiff than some of previous ST series.

Superman07 09-24-17 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi (Post 13164007)
I really liked it. Sonequa was one of my favorites on Walking Dead, and I think she's a pretty cool lead. Nice opening credits and theme music, and the whole thing felt a little more epic and less stiff than some of previous ST series.

I'd agree with this. I was very pleasantly surprised. I have not scene TWD, so I'm not familiar with that actress.

I really liked the captain. She had explorer and artistic characteristics, and seemed very wise. Picaresque if you will.

The Klingons were cool, but not sure where that is all going. I'm not politically versed on where the Klingons and Federation stood in TOS. It did remind me a bit of "Balance of Terror", while meeting the romulans.

The design did seem like a blend of Enterprise, TOS and the new movies. The sensor beeps and door effects were good as well.

I will say, this should have been two hours, as we didn't even get to meet everybody and introductions. I felt the ensine, with this pillow trip forecast, was neat and more personality than any of the bridge crew than Enterprise.

I'll be interested to see if everything else takes place on one ship, or bounces around locations.

windom 09-24-17 09:11 PM

So all communication is done with holograms? What happened to good old viewscreens used in every other version of Trek?

Josh-da-man 09-24-17 09:15 PM

I thought it was pretty good.

I'd give it a 7 or 8/10.

I thought the redesign of the Klingons was kind of dodgy, though with the 24 houses thing they've introduced here, it could explain the inconsistencies between the various depictions of the Klingons over the years. I'm thinking that Klingons secluding themselves for a century (between the conclusion of Enterprise and the start of Discovery?) is a new element? No references to the genetic manipulation we saw in Enterprise's fourth season, though it may come up later.

I'm also not sure about using Sarek here. They should have had Frain play a new Vulcan instead of having Sarek be connected to Michael.

I did like Michelle Yeoh here, though I suspect her character won't survive the next episode. :(

I liked the design on Saru; finally an alien who has a non-human physique. Can't tell if it was CGI manipulation, or if Doug Jones is really that tall and skinny.

Beautiful-looking series overall. Great fx and design work.

Also, I can't tell if this supposed to be taking place in the "Prime" universe or the "Kelvin" universe. I didn't see any tells that went either way.

tanman 09-24-17 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by TGM (Post 13163571)
Charging $6 (with commercials no less!) for 2 unique shows and a bunch of shitty shit that can be had OTA is a lousy business model. I'm just pissed that they pulled this crap with Star Trek, a franchise dear to me, a franchise that has been on life support for a decade, a franchise that needs to attract new fans, not alienate them with a bullshit cash grab. fuck 'em and feed 'em beans.

This exactly. They're using Star Trek as a sacrificial lamb for their stupid streaming service.

Hopefully it won't do well and they'll put it on the air instead. But then that would depend on network executives making smart decisions.

windom 09-24-17 09:27 PM

In Han Solo voice: "That's not how katras work."

Bandoman 09-24-17 09:50 PM

I thought it was good. I’d be willing to see where they go with this if it were going to continue to air on CBS. I won’t pirate it, I guess I just won’t watch. There’s plenty of good tv out there on the services I already pay for.