My Next Guest Needs No Introduction with David Letterman -- Netflix

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

My Next Guest Needs No Introduction with David Letterman -- Netflix

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-19, 09:44 AM

Received 4,627 Likes on 3,133 Posts
Re: My Next Guest Needs No Introduction with David Letterman (Netflix) premieres 1/12

This week Kanye West taped an interview with David Letterman for an upcoming episode of the latter’s Netflix talk show, Vulture has confirmed. Multiple sources say Ye and Dave chatted Monday in Los Angeles, with one person who was in the audience saying a big portion of the conversation revolved around both men’s mental health. (Letterman has talked openly about dealing with depression since at least 2012, while West spent a big chunk of 2018 more vaguely discussing his own mental condition in various forums.) A Netflix rep declined to confirm the Letterman-West powwow, but in addition to Vulture’s sources, anecdotal evidence of the encounter has started popping up on social media.

Users on both Instagram and Twitter have shared pictures of themselves with West and Letterman, as well as tickets from the event, which appears to have been taped at the Nate Holden Performing Arts Center in L.A.’s Mid-City district. The audience members also noted that Kim Kardashian West was in attendance, which follows a tweet from New York Times comedy correspondent Jason Zinoman earlier this week hinting at the get-together (tagged #rumormill). There’s no word yet on when the first episodes of the new season of Letterman’s My Next Guest Needs No Introduction will premiere, though Vulture hears Letterman has already taped at least one other interview for season two and that the series should return by this summer.

Letterman’s post-CBS show debuted last January and featured interviews with Barack Obama, George Clooney, and Tina Fey, among others. The streamer officially confirmed a green light for season two last month, though Netflix execs had said much earlier they wanted more episodes from Letterman.
https://www.vulture.com/2019/01/davi...w-netflix.html
Old 01-21-19, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 605 Likes on 436 Posts
Re: My Next Guest Needs No Introduction with David Letterman -- Netflix

This love Dave and will watch him do,anything but I found almost all these interviews to be uninteresting
the Obama and Seinfeld shows we’re ok but even the Stern one was pretty ordinary.

is there anyone interesting left to interview? Surely not West talking about his crazy brain.
Old 05-16-19, 11:01 AM

<iframe width="676" height="380" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/U9-uAcpo9PE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Some conversations leave you speechless. My Next Guest Needs No Introduction with David Letterman returns for a second season welcoming another round of guests Letterman finds fascinating. This season, Dave sits down with Kanye West, Ellen Degeneres, Tiffany Haddish, Lewis Hamilton and Melinda Gates for in-depth conversations, combining humor and curiosity. All five episodes of the Netflix talk show series will be streaming on Netflix beginning May 31, 2019.
Old 05-16-19, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by whotony
This love Dave and will watch him do,anything but I found almost all these interviews to be uninteresting
the Obama and Seinfeld shows we’re ok but even the Stern one was pretty ordinary.

is there anyone interesting left to interview? Surely not West talking about his crazy brain.
meh.
Old 05-16-19, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,260 Likes on 4,280 Posts

I would argue that, at least in the United States, Lewis Hamilton needs an introduction.
Old 05-16-19, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
I would argue that, at least in the United States, Lewis Hamilton needs an introduction.
I don’t know the person listed after Lewis is either.
Old 05-16-19, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by whotony

I don’t know the person listed after Lewis is either.
Bill Gates' wife. Major philanthropist and activist for world health.
Old 05-16-19, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I would watch Dave interview anybody but that’s an extremely disappointing list of guests considering we get only 5 episodes and the long wait between seasons. Not even close to as good as season one and he didn’t just go with big stars in season one. Not even a Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts, Steve Martin or just about anybody in the big celebrity category? I mean he had Fey, Stern AND Clooney in season one. Haddish hasn’t done nearly enough to distinguish herself yet. I didn’t think I would be this disappointed when they finally announced the guests but I am.

Seems like Letterman is almost making a point this year of going outside the box just because he’s already a legend and can do what he wants. I would be fine with that if this was 7 episodes and we got a star or two, especially the ones he’s been close with or if we got 5 episodes every few months or something like that.
Old 05-16-19, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 595 Likes on 430 Posts

no idea who he is or who Tiffany Haddish is.
Old 05-16-19, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
no idea who he is or who Tiffany Haddish is.
I envy you.

She's kind of blown up in the past two years, starting with Girl's Trip. She's in everything now, like the female Kevin Hart in that way.

Last edited by Decker; 05-16-19 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-16-19, 04:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No Leno, no thanks
Old 05-16-19, 04:41 PM

^ That would be amazing, actually.
Old 05-16-19, 04:48 PM

Haddish wasn't in What Men Want was she?
Old 05-16-19, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by dex14
Haddish wasn't in What Men Want was she?
No she wasn't. Sorry, it popped up in a bundle on a Vudu search. Fixing now...
Old 05-16-19, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I cancelled NF a couple months ago.
This isn’t getting me to sign up again.
Old 05-17-19, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

That list does nothing for me. Maybe I'm just getting old as I honestly don't know who Tiffany Haddish and Lewis Hamilton are? Ellen Degeneres would probably be the only one I would be interested in.
Old 05-17-19, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

I doubt Letterman knows who Tiffany Haddish is either.
Old 05-18-19, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 918 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by skywalker8
No Leno, no thanks
^ That would be amazing, actually.
That would be awesome.
Old 05-18-19, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

I have not been a fan of the crabby and angry version of Letterman that has been around for the last decade plus, and Lewis Hamilton is probably the only one of these interviews I'm remotely interested in. The rest are an easy pass. As semi-reclusive as he is, I wonder why he is even bothering with this endeavor if this is the quality of guests he is going to get.
Old 05-18-19, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
I have not been a fan of the crabby and angry version of Letterman that has been around for the last decade plus
I heard a lecture once about how major cardiac surgery requiring a heart-lung machine, while life-saving, cannot perfectly perfuse the brain as well as the heart and lungs can. The brain is such a sensitive and oxygen-hungry organ that even the briefest, slightest disruption or deprivation can permanently change a person's personality. After both had major heart surgeries performed, David Letterman and Bill Clinton seemed to changed their personalities and became more cranky and less tolerant than before.
Old 05-18-19, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I heard a lecture once about how major cardiac surgery requiring a heart-lung machine, while life-saving, cannot perfectly perfuse the brain as well as the heart and lungs can. The brain is such a sensitive and oxygen-hungry organ that even the briefest, slightest disruption or deprivation can permanently change a person's personality. After both had major heart surgeries performed, David Letterman and Bill Clinton seemed to changed their personalities and became more cranky and less tolerant than before.
I remember reading an interview with Letterman about 15 years ago (when it was just him and Leno battling it out for Late Night) and he talked about how he finally came to terms with being #2 behind Leno. I think deep down that pissed him off as he knew (like most people) that he had the better show (along with never getting The Tonight Show), and sort of checked out after that. That is when he sort of became disinterested, angry, irritable on his show and that is when it became unwatchable. The one thing I give Letterman is he sort of hated the way pop culture would make stars out of Paris Hilton and the Kardashians so he would openly mock them when CBS forced them on the show as that was his way of saying, "Fuck you to the public for being interested in these people who have done nothing to earn it." I still remember the Paris Hilton interview where he wouldn't let it go that she had to serve jail time and she almost walked off the show.
Old 05-18-19, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I envy you.

She's kind of blown up in the past two years, starting with Girl's Trip. She's in everything now, like the female Kevin Hart in that way.
I honestly don’t get this woman’s appeal. I tried watching Girls Trip once because it’d been getting a lot of pretty positive buzz, and Tiffany Haddish was supposed to be hilarious. It was awful, and so was she.

I’m sure she has some sort of gripping rags to riches story, and she certainly appeals to a lot of people for whatever reason, but from what I’ve seen she’s unremarkable in every way imaginable.
Old 05-18-19, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Major heart surgery can also have the opposite effect.
I seen it in my father-in-law.
Old 05-20-19, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 329 Likes on 245 Posts

Well, I guess Dave interviews who Dave wants to interview...it's the only reason Lewis Hamilton would be picked (Letterman is a major Formula 1 fan).
Old 05-20-19, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 329 Likes on 245 Posts

Naah...that's just age and, in both cases, being at the point in your life/career where you have nothing left to prove - you worry less about censoring your feelings. I feel most of us with older parents (or grandparents) can relate to this.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.