Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Worst sitcoms of all time

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-17, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Worst sitcoms of all time

I also expected to see Boston Common on here which got a ton of shit when it was on, but I enjoyed.

Originally Posted by The Infidel
Yes Dear is kind of a stretch to be on that list. It wasn't that bad of a show. "Worst shows" don't last for six seasons.
Unless it is titled "2 Broke Girls."

I never watched Yes, Dear, but just having Jean Louisa Kelly in the cast elevates it from being the worst of anything.
Old 07-26-17, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Anyone who grew up in the 80's will remember that 'Small Wonder' was one of the worst sitcoms of all-time.
Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
What was that one with the teenage girl whose dad was an alien but she had to manage the pitfalls of suburban high school life? Ahh I forget...
I liked both of these shows as a kid. Mama's Family always made me depressed and was only slightly worse than the intro to M.A.S.H.
Old 07-26-17, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a feeling Young Sheldon is going to be on a future worst list.
Old 07-26-17, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Whitney was also pretty good.
Old 07-26-17, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I also expected to see Boston Common on here which got a ton of shit when it was on, but I enjoyed.

I never watched Yes, Dear, but just having Jean Louisa Kelly in the cast elevates it from being the worst of anything.
Funny you mentioned Boston Common, since the guy who played the husband on Yes Dear was on both shows. You must be a fan of his.
Old 07-26-17, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

I didn't realize Small Wonder was direct to syndication. Adds an extra layer to how shitty it was, from what I've seen.
Old 07-26-17, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

13. The American version of “Coupling”, NBC, 2003. It only lasted one season.
Hard to believe the original is that old. Given the subject matter, I knew that would never work on network TV at the time.
Old 07-26-17, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
Thinking back, there was "She's The Sheriff" with Suzanne Sommers, which ran for a while, and then there was "10 Items or Less", a grocery store comedy.
What I remember about 10 Items or Less is that within a week of the show's premiere, an unrelated film with the same title opened.
Old 07-26-17, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes Dear does not belong on that list.
Old 07-26-17, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,465 Likes on 932 Posts

Wikipedia has a list of shows that only lasted one episode. One of them is Co-ed Fever, starring Heather Thomas. It sounds dreadful.

After reading the article, I want to see Turn-On, the show that was canceled part way through the broadcast of the first episode.
Old 07-26-17, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Curious how someone can come up their own list like this unless they are a paid critic and it is part of their job. Who takes the time to watch scores of terrible shows to the point that they feel qualified to rank them relative to each other? If a show is so bad it can make such a list, who sticks around watching it for more than a handful of minutes? It's like spending your free time ranking turds by their smell.
Old 07-26-17, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

"My Mother the Car" always gets chosen for lists like this, and I don't think it deserves to be there. Once you accept the premise, it's actually pretty funny. Jerry Van Dyke did another sitcom in this era, "Accidental Family" that's much worse.

Shows that would go on my worst
list would include:
"Mr Terrific"
"It's About Time"
"Gilligan's Island"
Old 07-26-17, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Three's Company
Old 07-26-17, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
Thinking back, there was "She's The Sheriff" with Suzanne Sommers, which ran for a while
i worked as a studio page during college and was at the taping of the first episode. Not a funny show.
Old 07-26-17, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any wonder why I watch Two broke Girls? For dem Tittays and dat ass.
Old 07-26-17, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Curious how someone can come up their own list like this unless they are a paid critic and it is part of their job. Who takes the time to watch scores of terrible shows to the point that they feel qualified to rank them relative to each other? If a show is so bad it can make such a list, who sticks around watching it for more than a handful of minutes? It's like spending your free time ranking turds by their smell.
I get the feeling a lot of these lists are made by people who didn't actually watch any of them, or at least most of them. By the same token, it would explain how you get a list that's more contemporary and has so little depth to it.

Last edited by DWilson; 07-26-17 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-26-17, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts

Out of shows I've actually watched more than an episode of The Big Bang Theory is by far the worst show I've ever seen. I don't think I've ever hated any type of entertainment more.
Old 07-26-17, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
After watching 5 minutes of it before leaving the room, my vote goes to Downward Dog. Beyond horrible.
Was that the Amazon pilot crop a few years back? Or am I mixing up my yoga named shows?

I think the list is quite odd. To be a sitcom "of all time" I'd think it would need to be a discussion of long running shows, not a mixture of hardly aired and lasted a few seasons.

Not to say it wasn't bad - I couldn't tell you plot since I'd turn it off after a few minutes - but Mama's Family stood out became awe its the only thing on that list that lasted.
Old 07-26-17, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Wikipedia has a list of shows that only lasted one episode. One of them is Co-ed Fever, starring Heather Thomas. It sounds dreadful.

After reading the article, I want to see Turn-On, the show that was canceled part way through the broadcast of the first episode.
The stories about that sound incredible, and the people involved still seem proud of the show.

Time Conway recollecting about the show:

Some quick clips of episode 2:

Show creator George Schlatter reminiscing about the show:
Old 07-26-17, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
I think the list is quite odd. To be a sitcom "of all time" I'd think it would need to be a discussion of long running shows, not a mixture of hardly aired and lasted a few seasons...
"Worst" is a different category than "Best," and in some ways utilizes the reverse metrics. While a show running long could be an indication of good quality, a show ending quickly could be an indication of bad quality.

I mean, we've already had one person complain about Yes Dear being on the list because it ran for 6 seasons.

"Of all time" just means since TV started. There could be a separate list of "worst long-running sitcoms" but to say they're the worst of "all time" doesn't really have an broadcast length requirement.
Old 07-26-17, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I actually didn't mind The Millers. It wasn't anything great but I don't think it's worth a slot on a worst sitcoms of all time list.
Old 07-27-17, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Wait...what, Harry and the Hendersons (fun film) spun off a sitcom and lasted three seasons, how the heck did I miss it when it aired? If Netflix ever obtained I am curious enough to watch.
Old 07-27-17, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

She was hot in that show, and it had the perfect timeslot between Raymond and King of Queens, so it was a good filler show on a Monday Night.
Old 07-27-17, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
If the amount of people who complained about "The Secret Diary of Desmond Pfieffer" actually ever watched "The Secret Diary of Desmond Pfieffer", it never would have gone off the air
I watched it when it aired. I think it was on after 7th Heaven
Old 07-27-17, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I take issue with so many shows that managed to last at least a few seasons being lumped in with stuff that only lasted 1 season or just a few eps.

I enjoyed the hell out of Mama's Family as a kid, it was relatively wholesome entertainment so my parents didn't mind, and Vicky was clearly a protege of the great Carol Burnett and that came through quite often.

I haven't tried to watch it for years, but I don't need to: I loved it for what it was.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.