Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Worst sitcoms of all time

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-17, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: Worst sitcoms of all time

Worst is kind of a weird assessment of a show. It can either mean unsuccessful and cancelled quickly or critically hated.

I've always enjoyed 2 Broke Girls even though it was critically ridiculed and disliked by most. It had cheap laughs and probably most thought the humor was juvenile, but it always kept me entertained. But you could hardly call it unsuccessful like many in the list from the OP. It lasted 6 seasons (138 episodes) and is a money maker for Warner Bros right now in syndication. The only reason why it got cancelled this past season was because CBS didn't own it (for future profits) and production cost. It actually did very well ratings-wise for most of it's run. But, it wasn't getting The Big Bang Theory type ratings and CBS decided to cut their losses.

It has over 2.3M likes on their Facebook page. It definitely had a fan base. Not many shows get that kind of following on social media. You really can't say it was one of the worst just by your own personal dislike for it by seeing what a handful of episodes.

There are plenty of shittier comedies that you can really call the worst (bad ratings, bad reviews, plug quickly pulled)

I mean seriously...10 years ago, ABC actually tried to turn the Geico Caveman into a weekly comedy series. Who thought that was a good idea?

There are worst things that have been on the air than a 30 minute comedy about 2 attractive young woman who work in a diner.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-27-17 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-27-17, 01:18 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I take issue with so many shows that managed to last at least a few seasons being lumped in with stuff that only lasted 1 season or just a few eps.

I enjoyed the hell out of Mama's Family as a kid, it was relatively wholesome entertainment so my parents didn't mind, and Vicky was clearly a protege of the great Carol Burnett and that came through quite often.

I haven't tried to watch it for years, but I don't need to: I loved it for what it was.
This.
Old 07-27-17, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A terrible show can easily go on for multiple seasons for reasons that have nothing to do with quality. I agree with 2 Broke Girls being on this list. Just awful, but the two leads were hot and there is a market for over the top sex jokes.
Old 07-27-17, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Many and some here think The Big Bang Theory is garbage, yet it's 10 going on 11 seasons in with almost 200 episodes. Plus, it spawned a spinoff. I recall when the Pilot aired, some here thought it was the worst and predicted quick cancellation.

Probably one of the most successful 30 minute comedies in the history of TV. Whether you're a fan or not, that's subjective.
Old 07-27-17, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Worst is kind of a weird assessment of a show. It can either mean unsuccessful and cancelled quickly or critically hated.
Ideally, both, but yes there's more than one metric one can use to determine what's the worst sitcom.

Many and some here think The Big Bang Theory is garbage, yet it's 10 going on 11 seasons in with almost 200 episodes. Plus, it spawned a spinoff. I recall when the Pilot aired, some here thought it was the worst and predicted quick cancellation.

Probably one of the most successful 30 minute comedies in the history of TV. Whether you're a fan or not, that's subjective.
"Worst" is subjective, yes. Just because something is successful doesn't mean it's good.

And from the OP:
Originally Posted by JimRochester
Obviously all lists are subjective
Old 07-27-17, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Wikipedia has a list of shows that only lasted one episode. One of them is Co-ed Fever, starring Heather Thomas. It sounds dreadful.

After reading the article, I want to see Turn-On, the show that was canceled part way through the broadcast of the first episode.
If there is anything worse than this in concept or practice, I'll eat my hat:

Heil Honey I'm Home! (September 30, 1990)
Comedy on British satellite channel Galaxy that spoofed American sitcoms of the 1950s and 1960s by featuring caricatures of Adolf Hitler and Eva Braun who live in matrimonial bliss until they become neighbours to a Jewish couple.[6] In unseen episodes the Hitlers plot to murder their Jewish neighbours.
Old 07-27-17, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
If there is anything worse than this in concept or practice, I'll eat my hat:

Heil Honey I'm Home! (September 30, 1990)
Comedy on British satellite channel Galaxy that spoofed American sitcoms of the 1950s and 1960s by featuring caricatures of Adolf Hitler and Eva Braun who live in matrimonial bliss until they become neighbours to a Jewish couple. In unseen episodes the Hitlers plot to murder their Jewish neighbours.
See, that seems like it could be funny to me, but I like dark humor.

It also seems somewhat similar to That's My Bush! in terms of spoofing sitcom tropes.

It could've been done like the "Mr Hilter" sketch on Monty Python:

Or the play in the Producers.
Old 07-27-17, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mf9jJx0NSjw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wow, I gave up around the three minute mark. Hitler controversy aside, the smarmy sit-com conventions they are "satirizing" makes this unwatchable.
Old 07-27-17, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
"Worst" is subjective, yes. Just because something is successful doesn't mean it's good.
This.

Often applies to movies as well. So many awesome films go largely unseen while total garbage rakes in money around the world.

As an example,are the CBS ARRP shows like NCIS any good anymore, or do they skate by because their ancient base will take in anything at this point based on the title of the show? Same goes for many multiple season sitcoms like 2 Broke Girls, just a different base audience.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 07-27-17 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-27-17, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

I've always enjoyed 2 Broke Girls even though it was critically ridiculed and disliked by most. It had cheap laughs and probably most thought the humor was juvenile...
The problem with 2BG isn't just the cheap dirty laughs and juvenile humour... it was also the delivery. 2.5 Men can be pretty raunchy and juvenile as well, and while it's certainly not a good show - the dialog, joke and overall delivery was miles better (at least during the Sheen era - never really saw after that).

2BG follows a strict formula with their comedy. Almost every second line is a punchline. Rarely does anyone respond to a question/comment with anything besides a dumb joke... and it's usually something dirty (or something related to the big-chested ones mother/past). Pushing punchlines that frequently and in that manner makes everything so redundant, formulaic and tiring. It's basically trying way too hard. Other sitcoms can actually have real conversations - and mixed in will be some smaller jokes that aren't attempting to get a huge laugh.

2BG definitely belongs on this list - regardless of how many people watched it and how long it ran.
Old 07-27-17, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coral
The problem with 2BG isn't just the cheap dirty laughs and juvenile humour... it was also the delivery. 2.5 Men can be pretty raunchy and juvenile as well, and while it's certainly not a good show - the dialog, joke and overall delivery was miles better (at least during the Sheen era - never really saw after that).
Great example. Probably mostly because Sheen and Cryer were far better than anybody ever on 2BG. Hell, even the boy could pull off jokes better than the 2BG primary actresses.
Old 07-27-17, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not to mention some sit-coms will recycle jokes from one season to another. 2BG will recycle jokes in the same episode. I liked 2.5 men in the Sheen era. Vulgar comedy doesn't bother me, but as Coral said, the delivery just wasn't there for me on 2BG. A couple of those on the list we watched, and while I'll agree they weren't great, not sure if they deserve "worst".
Old 07-27-17, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral

2BG follows a strict formula with their comedy. Almost every second line is a punchline. Rarely does anyone respond to a question/comment with anything besides a dumb joke... and it's usually something dirty (or something related to the big-chested ones mother/past). Pushing punchlines that frequently and in that manner makes everything so redundant, formulaic and tiring. It's basically trying way too hard. Other sitcoms can actually have real conversations - and mixed in will be some smaller jokes that aren't attempting to get a huge laugh.

2BG definitely belongs on this list - regardless of how many people watched it and how long it ran.
It's not just the delivery, but that was a HUGE problem when I watched it, but the two leads are just horrible actresses. Plus they aren't near hot enough to overcome those shortcomings.
Old 07-28-17, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Hype
Is there any wonder why I watch Two broke Girls? For dem Tittays and dat ass.
Tiddies and dat ass can be found anywhere, for free, at any time. Sitting through 22 minutes of stilted, unfunny tripe just for a glimpse of tiddies and dat ass is quite retarded.
Old 07-28-17, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
Wait...what, Harry and the Hendersons (fun film) spun off a sitcom and lasted three seasons, how the heck did I miss it when it aired? If Netflix ever obtained I am curious enough to watch.
I think it was first-run syndicated, so your local stations might have never picked it up.

To echo what Hokeyboy said, here's something to prevent you from ever having to watch a horrible show because someone is hot:

https://images.google.com
Old 07-29-17, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with others Yes, Dear doesn't belong on the list.

I also remember seeing the Harry and the Hendersons sitcom and I remember as a kid I though it was pretty bad.

Last edited by writer106; 07-29-17 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-29-17, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Anyone remember The New Monkees?

Old 07-29-17, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,504 Posts

I never really watched it regularly, but it's amazing to me that Saved By The Bell the New Class was never run in syndication despite the fact that it was much longer than the original which, along with the college years, are always endlessly repeated.

But I guess if we're adding all the kids/teens dedicated shows that opens another floodgate.
Old 07-29-17, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I never really watched it regularly, but it's amazing to me that Saved By The Bell the New Class was never run in syndication despite the fact that it was much longer than the original which, along with the college years, are always endlessly repeated.

But I guess if we're adding all the kids/teens dedicated shows that opens another floodgate.
I also thought it was weird that show never made it to syndication. Some of the other Saturday morning teen sitcoms that NBC had back in the 90s like Hang Time and City Guys were rerun briefly on WGN and a couple of other cable channels.
Old 07-29-17, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I kinda hated Whitney and Big Bang feels so average, i dont get the love it gets
Old 07-29-17, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by hokeyboy
tiddies and dat ass can be found anywhere, for free, at any time. Sitting through 22 minutes of stilted, unfunny tripe just for a glimpse of tiddies and dat ass is quite retarded.
+1000
Old 07-29-17, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Anyone who grew up in the 80's will remember that 'Small Wonder' was one of the worst sitcoms of all-time.
I always liked this show. It wasn't great, but it was a more novel premise for a family sitcom at the time. This was the first show I thought of when seeing the thread title and I was sure it wouldn't take long for it to be mentioned.
Old 07-30-17, 01:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In spite of it running NINE seasons (that can't be right??), please tell me I'm not the only person who considers Family Matters absolute dreck.
Old 07-30-17, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by thetao
In spite of it running NINE seasons (that can't be right??), please tell me I'm not the only person who considers Family Matters absolute dreck.
I grew up watching and enjoying Family Matters and Full House but by the time I got to middle school I really hated those shows. It really seemed like Urkel was purposely trying to drive Carl insane.

On the other hand, I grew up hating Three's Company and how every episode was based around some stupid misunderstanding. But now I think that show is hilarious.
Old 07-30-17, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Family Matters was decent until it turned into The Urkel Show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.