Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Flash (S3E17) -- "Duet" -- Supergirl crossover -- 3/21/17

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-17, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts
Re: The Flash (S3E17) -- "Duet" -- Supergirl crossover -- 3/21/17

Singing and dancing was well done by every one. KUDOS Lady and Gentlemen.

Also neat seeing Martian Manhunter, Vibe, and Kid Flash for some team up action.

Overall a FUN time, 'A'
Old 03-23-17, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I thought it was silly fun and a good time. People take their superheroes so SERIOUSLY
Kind of rolled my eyes at Joe and Stein being a gay couple and being dual Dad's to Iris. If Berlanti wasn't so concerned about shoving politics down our throats this season I would of thought it was cute. As it stands now though it just felt like more political garbage.
Why does this self-righteous rant remind me of Patton Oswalt's "Cirque du Soleil" routine?

Old 03-23-17, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked it, if for no other reason it was at least something different. Not entirely different since they had the alternate Earth/Earth-2 episode, but different enough that the episode stood out to me. Unfortunate presentation of the final song even if I did like the results.

I think the actors do a great job in connecting themselves with their roles. I can't see Melissa Benoist as anything but Supergirl, which is why her as a 30s chanteuse in full makeup had me looking more than once to see if it was her.
Old 03-23-17, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts

I enjoyed this. The music was pretty darn good and the message was pretty cool.
Old 03-23-17, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by will travel

Also neat seeing Martian Manhunter, Vibe, and Kid Flash for some team up action.
Yeah I enjoyed seeing them all together.
Old 03-23-17, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by robin2099

Kind of rolled my eyes at Joe and Stein being a gay couple and being dual Dad's to Iris. If Berlanti wasn't so concerned about shoving politics down our throats this season I would of thought it was cute. As it stands now though it just felt like more political garbage.
Seriously. All due respect...You might have to ditch the Berlanti DC shows. EACH one has Gays in it. It's nothing new for these shows. It's... Uhm..kinda like real life where Gay people live, work, love, fuck, and exist all around us Straight folks? He isn't shoving anything down your throat..btw, interesting choice of words for a rant on Gays..but I digress.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 03-23-17 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-23-17, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Gays have ruined my superhero TV shows and my lavish big-screen Disney musicals too!
Old 03-23-17, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Why does this self-righteous rant remind me of Patton Oswalt's "Cirque du Soleil" routin
Might want to learn the definition of self-righteous before you claim someone is doing that for no reason.

Seriously. All due respect...You might have to ditch the Berlanti DC shows. EACH one has Gays in it. It's nothing new for these shows. It's... Uhm..kinda like real life where Gay people live, work, love, fuck, and exist all around us Straight folks? He isn't shoving anything down your throat..btw, interesting choice of words for a rant on Gays..but I digress.
Yes I know that every one of these shows has had a gay character in it. Guess, what, I never cared. I never cared about Nyssa and Sarah. I never cared about Curtis and his husband, or the gay police chief on the Flash. They were all done so that being gay was a part of their character, not their whole character.

My problem is I'm getting tired of his shows trying to shove his political beliefs down our throats. Supergirl this season has basically been one long screw you to Trump and conservatives, talking about climate control, immigration, calling him a facist, talking about how great a women president is after "Beating a completely evil man" while also being one giant after school special promoting the LBTQ community while doing it so heavy handedly it's bordering on ridiculous. Arrow had that completely asinine gun control episode. On Legends, every character Sara meets is secretly a closet lesbian who wants her while apparently no one else on that ship has any desire to bang any historical figures or historical figures to bang them. I get that it's probably a spoof of the ship's captain always having people want them but it's still cornball. Now in this episode there is a bi-racial gay couple who are dual fathers. If this had happened in any other season I wouldn't have given it a second thought, but with how Berlanti wants to put his politics on display in all of his shows it's hard not to role my eyes.
Old 03-23-17, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Calling Trump a facist? He most definitely is one. Once again it's clear many need to quickly realize these CW DC shows are not going to be a conservative safe space. And including political commentary on these shows makes sense given comics have always involved politics from the perspective of when they were produced.
Old 03-23-17, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

DC Comics have virtually never been political in their entire history. The company has avoided real-life politics for the most part in comics, unlike Marvel's heavy left-wing slant over the decades.

What hasn't been mentioned is that all of Berlanti's DC shows have seen their ratings dip this year.
Old 03-23-17, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

I've only seen a few episodes of Supergirl and none of Flash, but I watched this for the musical angle and because I used to watch Glee. I thought it was a great collection of singing actors and a fun episode, even if the songs didn't knock me out.

Originally Posted by TGM
Benoist is just so fucking adorable.
Agree she's charming as hell.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
DC Comics have virtually never been political in their entire history. The company has avoided real-life politics for the most part in comics, unlike Marvel's heavy left-wing slant over the decades.
Green Lantern/Green Arrow was very political.

Old 03-23-17, 03:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The more I think about it the more it bothers me they weren't in costume during the superfriends song. It never felt like The Flash and Supergirl singing to survive Music Meisters trap. It was just Melissa and Grant being cute together. Might as well have been a Glee episode.
Old 03-23-17, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
Green Lantern/Green Arrow was very political.
Most were to some extent. But they were the right kind of political, so that doesn't count. I have no doubt the same is true with these "political" CW DC shows. If they got it right, nobody would be triggered.

What is really telling is something as simple as showing diversity as it exists (gay/multi-racial couples) is considered political.
Old 03-23-17, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Most were to some extent. But they were the right kind of political, so that doesn't count. I have no doubt the same is true with these "political" CW DC shows. If they got it right, nobody would be triggered.

What is really telling is something as simple as showing diversity as it exists (gay/multi-racial couples) is considered political.
I would say something about real Americans, but that's best saved for the political forum.
Old 03-23-17, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts

It was cute. Nothing amazing. Didn't hold a candle to the Buffy musical, which is still the model of what an episode like this can be.

Benoist is truly the cutest thing ever though.
Old 03-23-17, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Calling Trump a facist? He most definitely is one. Once again it's clear many need to quickly realize these CW DC shows are not going to be a conservative safe space.
Oh ok. So essentially the only way anyone should be allowed to enjoy these DC shows is if their liberal. That's good to know. The stupid thing is while I lean conservative, I'm fairly liberal in some ways also. The fact that I'm annoyed by it is pretty telling.

And including political commentary on these shows makes sense given comics have always involved politics from the perspective of when they were produced.
Except like Phantom Stranger said, DC and to a lesser extent Marvel always did their best to avoid politics, and if they did feature political commentary it wasn't on an entire year worth of stories.

Which brings up another point that non of these shows are written well enough and are as deep as they seem to think they are. These shows aren't going to be nominated for Emmy's for their incredibly deep political commentary. instead they just come across as condescending.

No I think what's really telling is how you conveniently don't bother to mention that I said if this was done last season I wouldn't have batted an eye, and had no problem with it but when I mention examples of his shows being overally politicized this season all you can do is get on your high horse and be condescending.
Old 03-23-17, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh ok. So essentially the only way anyone should be allowed to enjoy these DC shows is if their liberal. That's good to know.
Not at all what I posted.

The stupid thing is while I lean conservative, I'm fairly liberal in some ways also. The fact that I'm annoyed by it is pretty telling.
What is telling is who keeps bringing up the political angle at all and calling out something as simple as showing a gay couple as evidence that the show has become political.
Old 03-23-17, 05:26 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey

Nonsense. Most people who watch these shows don't have a problem with that. It's the way they make their point. At least be a little creative about it. Supergirl this season just isn't all that well written.
Old 03-23-17, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger

What hasn't been mentioned is that all of Berlanti's DC shows have seen their ratings dip this year.
So is it shit writing or the "forced Gay/liberal agenda"?
Old 03-23-17, 05:55 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

the only show I feel completely tried to awkwardly shove "gay agenda" down my throat was Supergirl. the lesbian coming out arc was just fucking painful.
Old 03-23-17, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Might want to learn the definition of self-righteous before you claim someone is doing that for no reason.
Quod erat demonstrandum
My problem is I'm getting tired of his shows trying to shove his political beliefs down our throats. Supergirl this season has basically been one long screw you to Trump and conservatives, talking about climate control, immigration, calling him a facist, talking about how great a women president is after "Beating a completely evil man" while also being one giant after school special promoting the LBTQ community while doing it so heavy handedly it's bordering on ridiculous. Arrow had that completely asinine gun control episode. On Legends, every character Sara meets is secretly a closet lesbian who wants her while apparently no one else on that ship has any desire to bang any historical figures or historical figures to bang them. I get that it's probably a spoof of the ship's captain always having people want them but it's still cornball. Now in this episode there is a bi-racial gay couple who are dual fathers. If this had happened in any other season I wouldn't have given it a second thought, but with how Berlanti wants to put his politics on display in all of his shows it's hard not to role my eyes.
I think your outrage says a lot less about Berlanti and a metric ton about you. You might want to reflect upon why this bothers you so much.

Then again this is the same forum where people complain that an interracial relationship is "forced political correctness"...
Old 03-23-17, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not at all what I posted.
You said that these shows are "not conservative safe spaces". So basically if you want to watch it and your conservative prepare to possibly be offended. Then what is the point of watching it if your conservative?

What is telling is who keeps bringing up the political angle at all and calling out something as simple as showing a gay couple as evidence that the show has become political.
Seems more telling that even when presented with FACTS about how the shows have become politicized you still refuse to acknowledge any of it.

Nonsense. Most people who watch these shows don't have a problem with that. It's the way they make their point. At least be a little creative about it. Supergirl this season just isn't all that well written.
Bingo. That's the point I've been trying to make people understand.

So is it shit writing or the "forced Gay/liberal agenda"?
More like trying to force a liberal agenda is helping to contribute to shit writing. Look at the Arrow gun control episode. Someone wanted to push their beliefs on gun control and the episode was completely shitty and made even less sense. The only reason it existed was someone being upset with gun control.

Quod erat demonstrandum
Tendo vel sapien tincidunt nec tu tibi facetum videtur.

I think your outrage says a lot less about Berlanti and a metric ton about you. You might want to reflect upon why this bothers you so much.

Then again this is the same forum where people complain that an interracial relationship is "forced political correctness"...
Might want to also think about why when people give examples from all his shows about him pushing his liberal beliefs you chose to ignore it and instead just make up your mind regardless of facts.

As for why it bothers me? Because it seems like they are more concerned with pushing a liberal agenda then actually making an entertaining show that everyone can watch. If you look at message boards a lot of people are getting annoyed by it and complaining each week But feel free to just ignore the evidence and examples in front of you.
Old 03-23-17, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You said that these shows are "not conservative safe spaces". So basically if you want to watch it and your conservative prepare to possibly be offended. Then what is the point of watching it if your conservative?
Stating that it is not a not a conservative safe space is not saying (your words) "the only way anyone should be allowed to enjoy these DC shows is if their liberal".

I'm sure there are plenty of conservatives (or at least right leaning people like me that are not triggered by just simply having a homosexual or inter-racial relationship portrayed on screen) that enjoy all of these CW DC shows just fine, left leaning politics and all.

I certainly know the flip side is true. I don't avoid otherwise enjoyable shows just because they lean right from a social perspective. And I don't complaint about it in threads like these because I know going in that the political angle is going to be there.

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Quod erat demonstrandum

Exactly. I doubt there are many that would argue these CW DC shows are not left leaning. But the singling out of gay and interracial relationships goes beyond legit concern over actual political content.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 03-23-17 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-24-17, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Berlanti's shows have repeatedly forced gay and lesbian themes into the plotting and characters, no one can dispute that.

They took Mr. Terrific from the comics, a straight character, and then introduced him as gay on Arrow. They've spent nearly a season now on Supergirl showing a formerly straight character suddenly becoming a lesbian in her late 20s. It's been one of the clumsiest handled romances in recent television history.

Whether one wants to chalk that up to some social agenda is up to the individual to decide.
Old 03-24-17, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I thought the episode was awkward at best. I was sort of looking forward to it but was disappointed overall.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.