DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/635029-game-thrones-s6e10-winds-winter-6-26-16-a.html)

Lastblade 06-27-16 07:18 AM

Re: Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16

Originally Posted by The Infidel (Post 12836283)
In regards to Sam's appearance and seemingly pointless story tonight, I think they set the tone for that library to play some part in next season's events. There's going to be some kind of information in all those books that someone is going to need for something extremely crucial to the whole series.

I think he is going to find GRRM's manuscript on the final book.

All kidding aside, did anyone got a weird vibe from the serving girl (Arya's disguise) who was hitting on Jamie? Now I am not sure if that was Arya or the real serving girl.

majorjoe23 06-27-16 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 12836311)
Gendry was never legitimized and has no claim to the throne anyway, does he? I mean I know they killed off all the Baratheon bastards in season one to make sure of this, mainly because Cersei's kids are purely Lannisters. I'm actually kind of surprised they gave the throne to Cersei, since even if she has new kids they shouldn't be in the line of succession anyway. If Renly or Stannis had just been patient.

I think the Baratheon bastards were wiped out because their dark hair threw the legitimacy of Joffrey's reign into doubt. Ned's plan was to say "Here are 20 of his offspring, notice anything different about his 'legitimate' children?"

Joffrey had them killed to prevent that from happening.

spainlinx0 06-27-16 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by HN (Post 12836291)
I fcking teared up at lyanna mormont's speech. She's the real queen of the north!!

Annoyed by Margaerys death only because that scene earlier in the season with her giving the paper flower to olenna meant absolutely nothing now.

Also Varys at dorne and on the targaryan fleet in the same episode was distracting;,no way that timeline would fit.

Also annoyed at having to mention dorne again this season; woulda been perfectly fine not ever having mentioned it again

Well, the flower got her out of King's Landing. I thought the flower only meant, "I haven't turned religious, I'm still a Tyrell, listen to what I'm telling you." I'm not sure there was much of a greater plan beyond that.

If she didn't give her that flower, she never would have left King's Landing, would have been at her grandson's trial and obliterated. She never would have been able to join her army with Dorne's and Dany.

Goat3001 06-27-16 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 12836342)
Well, the flower got her out of King's Landing. I thought the flower only meant, "I haven't turned religious, I'm still a Tyrell, listen to what I'm telling you." I'm not sure there was much of a greater plan beyond that.

If she didn't give her that flower, she never would have left King's Landing, would have been at her grandson's trial and obliterated. She never would have been able to join her army with Dorne's and Dany.

I agree. I also don't think Margery had some grand plan in her head. I think she thought that aligning herself to the High Sparrow would be the best way to have control. It was her path to rid them of Cersei and she took that path full force. I'm sure she would have eventually made a move to get rid of the High Sparrow too but that wasn't part of her immediate plan.

jfoobar 06-27-16 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by JTH182 (Post 12836329)
Not that it's unheard of in Westeros, but Jon Snow is Dany's nephew. I see them being allies more than anything.

One very interesting thing about GoT is that there are almost no throwaway lines of dialogue. So much of the show is foreshadowed in conversation. Tyrion's conversation with Dany about how she is leaving behind a man who loves her (Daario) but that there will be others in the future is almost certainly this type of foreshadowing. Does this automatically mean it will be Jon? Of course not.

However, both are people who have lost the great loves of their lives. Jon's love was a fierce, powerful, independent woman, as is Dany. Dany's lost love (and his temporary replacement, Daario) were both great warriors, as is Jon. And, they are both Targaryens, a family quite fond of incest.

Yeah, I wouldn't put it past GRRM to throw a surprise in there but it seems like having them be together in the end makes sense.

The big mystery that still remains is whether or not:

Spoiler:
Tyrion is also a Targaryen. There is a third dragon after all. Someone has to ride it.

Thrush 06-27-16 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by The Infidel (Post 12836294)
I think more of Margery's intent will be revealed with whatever her grandmother is planning. She'll tell someone what the flower on the paper meant, and Margery's death will take on a little more of a tragic meaning.

I have to disagree with what one of the guys said during the "after the episode" thing. He said if Cersei had been there for Tommen he might not have jumped out that window, and that she failed him in that regard. I don't think Cersei meant to be there with him. I think she wanted him to see it, and know what he helped bring about. The Mountain could have brought Tommen to Cersei with no effort at all, so it had to be her intent to get Tommen out of the way to get herself on the throne. After all, it was Tommen who called for her to be tried, so I'm sure her thinking was "I'll just have to take the little bastard out, too."

I don't think Cersei meant for Tommen to die. She does in fact love her children. As she has remarked thats her one redeeming factor. I do think she was angry with how much of a spineless twerp hes been and how he essentially hung her out to dry. But with all of her enemies dead she could have easily bent Tommen to do whatever she wanted. So he would have still been the king but she would have been pulling his strings.

Cersei may be queen now. But she has destroyed all her alliances (except the Freys who seem pretty useless) and her own house to get it. As someone mentioned earlier shes not much of a forward thinker. Shes a hammer, if you want to put a nail through a wall, the hammer can get it done. Ask the hammer to build you a ship and the hammer will tell you "I can put a nail through a wall".

Osiris3657 06-27-16 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by dave-o (Post 12836323)
Great episode....

A couple of my favorite moments (other than the big ones):

Getting a chance to see Margery be herself again and figure everything out, only to be ignored and die a moment later.

The Queen of Roses telling the Sand Snakes to shut the fuck up. Perfect.

Queen of Thorns

Originally Posted by rw2516 (Post 12836325)
After Dany conquers King's Landing and the south she'll move north to take out Jon Snow.
Snow will force her into a truce/alliance against the coming battle with White Walkers and army of the dead.
During the lull before the battle they start fooling around.
In the end Jon and Dany rule as king and queen. Everybody lives happily ever after.

This, more or less, is what I expect to happen. I don't think Jon and Dany's forces will ever fight though. She'll threaten to crush them if they don't "bend the knee" and recognize her as ruler of Westeros. Jon is not interested in a fight with her, tells her about the White Walkers and that is who they need to face together.

jfoobar 06-27-16 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 12836338)
Joffrey had them killed to prevent that from happening.

Cersei. I don't Joffrey even knew that his lineage truly was, did he?

Why So Blu? 06-27-16 08:58 AM

Ned Stark…

http://i.giphy.com/13hFrGPgj8Y0lG.gif

jfoobar 06-27-16 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Lastblade (Post 12836336)
All kidding aside, did anyone got a weird vibe from the serving girl (Arya's disguise) who was hitting on Jamie? Now I am not sure if that was Arya or the real serving girl.

I had that thought also, but it is worth noting that Jaime is not on Arya's official list. No doubt he would be if she knew his involvement with Bran's plunge, but Arya has no way of knowing that. You would think he might be due to his sword fight with her father back in season one, but he has never been on it IIRC. Cersei is, was was Walder Frey.

Of interesting note are three other characters who are on Arya's list:

Melisandre
Beric Dondarrion
Thoros of Myr

All related to what happened with Gendry when the Brotherhood Without Banners basically sold him to Melisandre.

Arya is already in the Riverlands where the Brotherhood operates and guess who is now conveniently heading south having been banished from Winterfell? Also of note is that The Hound is now with Thoros and Beric as well. Arya thinks he is dead, but she also removed him from the list and would seem to have at least a little qualified affection for. I think it is very safe to say that Arya's next story arc will involve Thoros, Beric, Sandor and Melisandre.

Why So Blu? 06-27-16 09:10 AM

The Witch's prophecy came true.

Why So Blu? 06-27-16 09:12 AM

http://i.imgur.com/LER4Stm.gif

B.A. 06-27-16 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by windom (Post 12836242)
Maybe Dany's fleet of ships will run into him still rowing his boat.

:lol:

LurkerDan 06-27-16 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 12836388)

too much spring in his step. Tommen's fall was more wooden, no push off.

The Bus 06-27-16 09:22 AM

Faaaaaathhhhhhheeeeeer!

The Bus 06-27-16 09:23 AM

BTW, here's the score:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFK0yG8xG5I

“Light of the Seven”

Neitzl 06-27-16 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by jfoobar (Post 12836363)
One very interesting thing about GoT is that there are almost no throwaway lines of dialogue. So much of the show is foreshadowed in conversation.

The big mystery that still remains is whether or not:

re: the mystery and no throw away lines.

Spoiler:
Remember Tywin telling Tyrion "You are no son of mine". Hmmmmmmm

Josh-da-man 06-27-16 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by JTH182 (Post 12836329)
Not that it's unheard of in Westeros, but Jon Snow is Dany's nephew. I see them being allies more than anything.

By having Jon declared King in the North, it sort of presents a problem.

Dany is coming to Wesrteros to conquer and rule it. That, presumably, includes the North. Would she allow Jon to be the King in the North, while she was Queen in the South? It's sort the Robb/Stannis situation all over again. Will Jon pledge fealty to Queen Daenarys? Will the Northmen accept that? Will Jon and Dany need to be united in marriage to prevent another civil war?

slop101 06-27-16 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 12836367)
This, more or less, is what I expect to happen. I don't think Jon and Dany's forces will ever fight though. She'll threaten to crush them if they don't "bend the knee" and recognize her as ruler of Westeros. Jon is not interested in a fight with her, tells her about the White Walkers and that is who they need to face together.

I agree with this, only to add that somewhere amidst all that, Dany will find out Jon is actually Targaryen, which will solidify their truce as they take on the White Walkers.

Bill Needle 06-27-16 09:45 AM

Wouldn't Jon Snow be the true Targaryen heir? He is the only son of Dany's older brother. Her nephew, but he has a stronger claim to the throne if you are going strictly by lineage.

mwbmis 06-27-16 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle (Post 12836424)
Wouldn't Jon Snow be the true Targaryen heir? He is the only son of Dany's older brother. Her nephew, but he has a stronger claim to the throne if you are going strictly by lineage.

Yes. If Rhaegar and Lyanna were married then Jon has a better claim than Dany. Dany certainly would seem to want it more.

slop101 06-27-16 09:59 AM

It would also mean that Jon can marry Sansa with no real incest involved. Well, except for the fact that they did grow up together thinking they're bro&sis.

Bill Needle 06-27-16 09:59 AM

In fact, oddly enough his claim to the North is weaker, perhaps the reason for establishing him as King of the North by acclaim.

Decker 06-27-16 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by mwbmis (Post 12836429)
Yes. If Rhaegar and Lyanna were married then Jon has a better claim than Dany. Dany certainly would seem to want it more.

Who would know all this though besides the Three Eyed Raven? Hard to imagine the Seven Kingdoms just agreeing with the succession based on an old rumor that goes directly against the history they all learned. Maybe this ties in to Sam in the Library?

Lastblade 06-27-16 10:02 AM

Does succession based on birth rights even matter at this point? If you have a big enough army and enough allegiance from your lords, then you have a good claim.

Osiris3657 06-27-16 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 12836435)
It would also mean that Jon can marry Sansa with no real incest involved. Well, except for the fact that they did grow up together thinking they're bro&sis.

No "real" incest? Jon and Sansa are 1st cousins. Sounds like incest to me.

starseed1981 06-27-16 10:03 AM

Wow. Probably my second favorite episode of the series so far. The Cersei power play was epic.

B.A. 06-27-16 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by JasonF (Post 12836276)
Interesting parallel: The Red Wedding was a conspiracy among House Lannister, House Bolton, and House Frey. At the Red Wedding, they shot Robb with crossbows, they stabbed Talisa in the belly, and they slit Caitlin's throat.

The head of House Lannister got killed by a crossbow.

The head of House Bolton got stabbed in the belly.

The head of House Frey got his throat slit.

:beer:

Osiris3657 06-27-16 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 12836437)
Who would know all this though besides the Three Eyed Raven? Hard to imagine the Seven Kingdoms just agreeing with the succession based on an old rumor that goes directly against the history they all learned. Maybe this ties in to Sam in the Library?

Howland Reed probably knows, Ned's closest friend who was at the Tower of Joy and stabbed Ser Arthur Dayne in the back. He's still alive in the show.

mwbmis 06-27-16 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 12836450)
Howland Reed probably knows, Ned's closest friend who was at the Tower of Joy and stabbed Ser Arthur Dayne in the back. He's still alive in the show.

And has a history with Lyanna (from the books) that would guarantee that he would follow Ned and keep the secret.

Decker 06-27-16 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 12836450)

Good point!

I'm confused by why Cersie had Maester Pycell killed. I assume that he could have been an impediment to her Ascension to the throne, but if that's the case, then Cersie would have had to have assumed and hoped that
Tommen would kill himself. That doesn't sound like her. Also, how much candy do you have to give little orphans to get them to stab and old man to death?

Sorraffy 06-27-16 10:14 AM

Green Trial > Red Wedding

*Wonder who Melisandre hooks up with next? Team Targaryen/Lannister/Greyjoy/Tyrell/Dorne maybe?

slop101 06-27-16 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 12836441)
No "real" incest? Jon and Sansa are 1st cousins. Sounds like incest to me.

You're obviously not from Alabama.

Bill Needle 06-27-16 10:18 AM

To those wondering about a Margaery plan and what the paper rose meant, I think it was just as simple as a sign to the Queen of Thorns that Margaery was still in her right mind and had a handle on things so she could depart to safety. Margaery's plan was simply an understanding with the High Sparrow that she would play along and be a good queen by providing an heir to Tommen, for which Loras would be free to go. Whether she had a longer game in mind is anyone's guess, but I think that was the gist of it. She was trading her playing nice for her brother's freedom.

spainlinx0 06-27-16 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 12836455)
Good point!

I'm confused by why Cersie had Maester Pycell killed. I assume that he could have been an impediment to her Ascension to the throne, but if that's the case, then Cersie would have had to have assumed and hoped that
Tommen would kill himself. That doesn't sound like her. Also, how much candy do you have to give little orphans to get them to stab and old man to death?

He hasn't been as loyal to her as Qyburn. I think she wanted to open up a seat on the council for Qyburn, and this was the cleanest way of doing it.

Bill Needle 06-27-16 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 12836464)
He hasn't been as loyal to her as Qyburn. I think she wanted to open up a seat on the council for Qyburn, and this was the cleanest way of doing it.

Speaking of, the small council has likely not been smaller. Cersei, Qyburn, perhaps Jamie? Who else of significance is still alive in King's Landing? The Mountain? :lol:

dvdjunkie32 06-27-16 10:31 AM

I just realized that this season pretty much completely ignored Jorah Mormont. He had like only one scene early on, and all we know is that he is out there looking for a cure. Kinda surprising since he was featured in the season trailer.

bluetoast 06-27-16 10:33 AM

It was pretty much a given that after he was asked to look for a cure, that we wouldn't see him again for that season.

Decker 06-27-16 10:48 AM

I'm pretty sure Kevan's spot is available now.

Thrush 06-27-16 10:50 AM

I think even more than that she was cleaning house and getting rid of everyone who isnt on her side.

Originally Posted by Bill Needle (Post 12836471)
Speaking of, the small council has likely not been smaller. Cersei, Qyburn, perhaps Jamie? Who else of significance is still alive in King's Landing? The Mountain? :lol:

Technically the king/queen isnt part of the small council. But I would think Cersei would likely take a more hands on approach. If the small council would even still exist.