DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/635029-game-thrones-s6e10-winds-winter-6-26-16-a.html)

windom 06-27-16 12:12 AM

Re: Game of Thrones (S6E10) -- "The Winds of Winter" -- 6/26/16

Disappointed that we didn't get any kind of update on the white walkers or the Wall. Anyone notice Benjen's mention of the magic underneath the Wall and how he can't cross it? Will the white walkers be able to cross if Bran crosses over it since they marked him?

So who is next in line for the throne if Cersei dies? I figure she's got to be too old to have another kid at this point.

The Questyen 06-27-16 12:14 AM

She's probably mid to late 30's that's not too old to have another kid.

mwbmis 06-27-16 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 12836222)
It's an abbreviation, people aren't going to write out the whole sentence every time to reference it.

But as for that, even though Jon does have that lineage, who else aside from Bran knows the information (and is alive)? And how could other people be made to believe it? Unless Bran takes them to time warp and see for themselves.

Presumably Howland Reed, Meera's Dad, would know.

Originally Posted by Bill Needle (Post 12836252)
So who is still alive from Arya's kill list? (aside from the Hound, who she refused to kill): The Mountain, Cersei, anyone else that is still around? If nothing else, it looks like we know where Arya is heading next season.

The King's Justice is still technically on the list, but who knows if we'll see the actor again.

Arya killing Lord Frey was the only moment that felt truly off to me.

windom 06-27-16 12:31 AM

OK, was I the only one wondering what exactly the Mountain is gonna do to the "Shame!" lady? First I thought he was gonna rape her and then I thought he would torture her. Maybe a little a of both? I thought they might actually get her out of those robes since she is actually pretty hot looking.

Osiris3657 06-27-16 12:35 AM

Fuuuuuck can't believe how many notable characters died in that wildfire scene. Obviously Margaery will be missed the most.

Interesting that they switched Kevan Lannister's death with Maester Pycell. Guess they felt a "showdown" between Qyburn and Pycell was more dramatic.

Arya killing Walder Frey was complete fan service. Too soon for that. And why the fuck is Walder all alone? No guards? I knew as soon as I saw him sitting alone it was over for him.

I wonder when Sam is going to get the news that Jon was killed, brought back to life, and is now King of the North? His reaction next season should be interesting.

So Dany has 3 dragons, the Unsullied, the Dothraki, most of the Iron Islanders, House Tyrell and House Martell on her side. Cersei doesn't stand a chance.

mwbmis 06-27-16 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle (Post 12836253)
A lot is made about Jaime's rehabilitation over the course of the series. It seems to me that nearly everything that came from "Bad Jaime" is related to Cersei. His "Fuck everyone who isn't us" talk centers on his ties to her. That tells me that his rehab is complete when when she dies, either by his hand or another's (see my post above about Arya's dwindling list). Cersei is the last chain binding him to the dark side.

Jaime's fate will be interesting. His brother is on the other side. Presumably, the Targaryen/Lannister fight will happen before the Dany/Jon meet cute and White Walker battle.

Really, what allies do the Lannister's have left. House Baratheon is dead. House Frey is dead. House Bolton is dead. Everyone up North pretty much just declared for House Stark. Everyone down South pretty much just declared for House Targaryen.

JasonF 06-27-16 12:40 AM

Interesting parallel: The Red Wedding was a conspiracy among House Lannister, House Bolton, and House Frey. At the Red Wedding, they shot Robb with crossbows, they stabbed Talisa in the belly, and they slit Caitlin's throat.

The head of House Lannister got killed by a crossbow.

The head of House Bolton got stabbed in the belly.

The head of House Frey got his throat slit.

LurkerDan 06-27-16 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by jfoobar (Post 12836248)
Jaime is not even in the line of succession AFAIK. It is still a Baratheon royal house, not a Lannister royal house. He is suspicious because he came home and his last child is dead and Cersei is a regent again. Even though that we, as the viewers, know that he jumped out of the window, it is a pretty suspicious death to someone who didn't witness it.

I don't think Cersei is a regent again, she's flat out queen this time.

DthRdrX 06-27-16 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by JasonF (Post 12836276)
Interesting parallel: The Red Wedding was a conspiracy among House Lannister, House Bolton, and House Frey. At the Red Wedding, they shot Robb with crossbows, they stabbed Talisa in the belly, and they slit Caitlin's throat.

The head of House Lannister got killed by a crossbow.

The head of House Bolton got stabbed in the belly.

The head of House Frey got his throat slit.

Similar to the news that in the first episode Robert Baratheon touched the four Starks that have been killed.

Draven 06-27-16 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by LurkerDan (Post 12836277)

Yep. They're out of Baratheon heirs. And there's really no one left to argue with her.

Tom Banjo 06-27-16 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by windom (Post 12836273)
OK, was I the only one wondering what exactly the Mountain is gonna do to the "Shame!" lady? First I thought he was gonna rape her and then I thought he would torture her. Maybe a little a of both? I thought they might actually get her out of those robes since she is actually pretty hot looking.

Looked like he was getting ready to rape.

And I guess this puts to rest that rumor that Meera is Jon's twin.

The Infidel 06-27-16 01:01 AM

Okay, now that I've read through everyone's posts, I have to address a few points:

On the matter of Arya's "travel" thing, who's to say that several months haven't passed since we saw her last? It's not like her events coincide with everyone else's. Everything going on with Arya since she left the Hound has been completely unaffected by everyone else's stories. She's the one character who's been on her own doing her own thing, and, from what I recall, has received no news of anything going on with anyone. Aside from her watching the play about Cersei and Joffrey, she has no clue about anybody else.

In regards to Sam's appearance and seemingly pointless story tonight, I think they set the tone for that library to play some part in next season's events. There's going to be some kind of information in all those books that someone is going to need for something extremely crucial to the whole series. That's just my feeling. Sam has been too minor of a character to just throw him onto the screen during an epic season finale like this and NOT have this setting up something major to the whole shabang.

Cersei has to be the coolest character ever. And I mean coolest in the sense that she never loses her cool with everything going on around her. Without a doubt, she's an evil, conniving, self-centered c**t, but goddammit if it wasn't awesome to see everyone who's been fucking with her these last few seasons get their comeuppance. And that business she pulled with the nun chick that she left with the Mountain? Ice cold. That guy's gonna peel off her skin and feed it to her to keep her alive for more. Brutal. And I think Jamie's reaction at the end of her crowning was that of "Well, you got what you wanted. Hope the cost was worth it."

And Dany. All I can say about Dany is that is one handsome woman. They chose well when they cast that role. She's been a tumultuous cauldron of strength and vulnerability that's led me to think from early on in the series that she's the one who's going to wind up on top when all the dust settles. Tonight, I was wondering if Tyrion was hitting on her, until the moment he knelt in front of her in genuine humility and gratitude. Those two are going to prove a formidable duo next season.

Josh-da-man 06-27-16 01:11 AM

I do have a theory about Sam for season seven. (Don't read it, Groucho!)

Spoiler:
He's in the Old Town library. He sent a Raven to Jon that said "Winter is here,"

He's going to discover a way to turn back the long winter that is coming. The last book is going to be dalled "A Dream of Spring."

Josh-da-man 06-27-16 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo (Post 12836282)
Looked like he was getting ready to rape.

Very likely. At the end of Robert's Rebellion he essentially raped Elia Martell to death.

Why So Blu? 06-27-16 01:14 AM

I'm still stunned that they would taken out Queen Margaery. I am going to miss her games and manipulations.
I'm going to miss that ass and those titties.

Toonview 06-27-16 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 12836284)
I do have a theory about Sam for season seven. (Don't read it, Groucho!)

Spoiler:
He's in the Old Town library. He sent a Raven to Jon that said "Winter is here,"

He's going to discover a way to turn back the long winter that is coming. The last book is going to be dalled "A Dream of Spring."

Not a spoiler, but the ravens were flying out to the kingdoms when Sam arrived. Your second theory sounds good though.

Decker 06-27-16 01:24 AM

Man that episode just delivered and delivered like an obstetrician moonlighting at Dominos. Lots of fan service and I don't care. Yeah the Walder Frey death was contrived, but not the part that he was fed a meat pie of his sons first. Yikes.

I loved everything about it but especially that score. It was so beautiful. And of course Lady Mormot. She is SO AWESOME. In all seriousness, you know how Chloe Grace Moretz got cast in everything that called for a teenage girl for the past six years? This actress needs to be her successor.

Why So Blu? 06-27-16 01:26 AM

Yeah, I really loved the score on this episode, as well. The piano during the first part of the episode was fantastic. It had a very John Carpenter-esque feel to it, IMO.

Decker 06-27-16 01:27 AM

BTW : What was Margery's end-game? I thought she had some sort of grand plan going on but even before she got flambéd, she seemed totally ineffective. That was a little disappointing. Thought she'd be given some sort of a payoff.

HN 06-27-16 01:30 AM

I fcking teared up at lyanna mormont's speech. She's the real queen of the north!!

Annoyed by Margaerys death only because that scene earlier in the season with her giving the paper flower to olenna meant absolutely nothing now.

Also Varys at dorne and on the targaryan fleet in the same episode was distracting;,no way that timeline would fit.

Also annoyed at having to mention dorne again this season; woulda been perfectly fine not ever having mentioned it again

mwbmis 06-27-16 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by The Infidel (Post 12836283)
Cersei has to be the coolest character ever. And I mean coolest in the sense that she never loses her cool with everything going on around her. Without a doubt, she's an evil, conniving, self-centered c**t, but goddammit if it wasn't awesome to see everyone who's been fucking with her these last few seasons get their comeuppance. And that business she pulled with the nun chick that she left with the Mountain? Ice cold. That guy's gonna peel off her skin and feed it to her to keep her alive for more. Brutal. And I think Jamie's reaction at the end of her crowning was that of "Well, you got what you wanted. Hope the cost was worth it."

Cersei's great undoing has always been that she never thinks beyond the moment. Sure she beat her enemies, but she gave the High Sparrow the power to begin with. And smashing House Tyrell, which she has wanted to do for years, is just poor reasoning. She didn't kill their army.

So now she is queen. All of her children are dead. She has no allies. There isn't even anyone left to rule Casterly Rock, as she wiped out her uncle's lineage too.

Draven 06-27-16 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 12836290)
BTW : What was Margery's end-game? I thought she had some sort of grand plan going on but even before she got flambéd, she seemed totally ineffective. That was a little disappointing. Thought she'd be given some sort of a payoff.

I think the point was that she was trying to do something but Cersei foiled her plans. Not everything always works out. As much as I enjoyed her character, I'm glad she didn't escape the blast. That would have been far too convenient.

The Infidel 06-27-16 01:43 AM

I think more of Margery's intent will be revealed with whatever her grandmother is planning. She'll tell someone what the flower on the paper meant, and Margery's death will take on a little more of a tragic meaning.

I have to disagree with what one of the guys said during the "after the episode" thing. He said if Cersei had been there for Tommen he might not have jumped out that window, and that she failed him in that regard. I don't think Cersei meant to be there with him. I think she wanted him to see it, and know what he helped bring about. The Mountain could have brought Tommen to Cersei with no effort at all, so it had to be her intent to get Tommen out of the way to get herself on the throne. After all, it was Tommen who called for her to be tried, so I'm sure her thinking was "I'll just have to take the little bastard out, too."

Breakfast with Girls 06-27-16 01:49 AM

Wow, they really cleaned house this season. By the time the White Walkers show up, the Seven Kingdoms are going to look like the opening of 28 Days Later.

windom 06-27-16 01:55 AM

With they way that some people are able to get around so fast on this show, how did Brienne and Podrick not make it back to Winterfell yet? I assume that's where they'd be going, at least if they found out it's been taken by Jon and Sansa.

Josh-da-man 06-27-16 02:47 AM

When dealing with travel, you sort of have to assume that this stuff isn't taking place in real time. There could be weeks between scenes; just in this episode Jaime traveled from the Twins to Kings Landing, which is about as far as Arya would have traveled from The Fingers to The Twins to take out the Freys. (Braavos is just across the Narrow Sea from The Fingers, and from there it's west to the Twins.)

DthRdrX 06-27-16 03:06 AM

Speaking of getting along fast on this show, I'm now convinced this guy is going to show up for the throne in the last episode.

https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-st...01771521-6.png

Maz Kanata 06-27-16 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Dave99 (Post 12836243)
So what are the odds that the dragon army runs into euron and his fleet of ships at sea?

I'd say a massive naval battle scene next season is likely. Talk about a hell of a time for Euron to introduce that dragon horn. Perhaps D&D knew what they were doing leaving it out of the Kingsmoot after all.

Maz Kanata 06-27-16 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by B.A. (Post 12836261)
it would be great if they combined this one with episode nine and put them on an IMAX screen before the next season premieres.

They did that for seasons 4 and 5. No reason to think this season's closing episodes won't get a theatrical release as well.

fujishig 06-27-16 03:53 AM

Wow. Now to read through this thread.

fujishig 06-27-16 04:20 AM

Gendry was never legitimized and has no claim to the throne anyway, does he? I mean I know they killed off all the Baratheon bastards in season one to make sure of this, mainly because Cersei's kids are purely Lannisters. I'm actually kind of surprised they gave the throne to Cersei, since even if she has new kids they shouldn't be in the line of succession anyway. If Renly or Stannis had just been patient...

Wasn't the mad king's plan to burn all of Kings Landing down? So is there more black fire underground?

I had hoped Jaime had made a deal with Edmure to overthrow the useless Freys, since it makes Edmure seem even more like a chump. Great reveal, though, even if it was fanservicey. Heck this entire episode was filled with fan service. One issue I had was that I didn't think Arya would be freely able to take faces as she wanted, but giving her that power does give more legitimacy to her time in Bravoos not just being a huge waste of time (when it's not pitch black).

Jon Snow's lineage makes him kinda perfect as consort to Dany given family history. I'm guessing the reason they made the whisper inaudible, while still revealing who the baby was is because
Spoiler:
Leanna really loved Rhaegar and they secretly married, legitimizing Jon. Otherwise I have no idea why they'd make it inaudible, or why Rhaegar would send his top knights to guard a bastard baby when he knows Ned and Robert wouldn't ever harm Leanna

Speaking of lineage, with Jaime being dismissed from his post as Kings Guard earlier this season, does he get to inherit Casterly Rock now (and have kids)? Otherwise there are basically no heirs to the houses of Baratheon, Lannister or Tyrell. Frey, Bolton, and Martell are wiped out as well. Aryn and Tully are under questionable leadership. Team Stark is making a comeback though (and they changed the opening back). No wonder the citadel can't keep up with all the leadership changes in the lands.

The one thing I don't get with Littlefinger's plan is giving Sansa over to Bolton in the first place.

jfoobar 06-27-16 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by LurkerDan (Post 12836277)

Yes, correct. I misused the word, she is queen again.

dave-o 06-27-16 06:40 AM

Great episode....

A couple of my favorite moments (other than the big ones):

Getting a chance to see Margery be herself again and figure everything out, only to be ignored and die a moment later.

The Queen of Roses telling the Sand Snakes to shut the fuck up. Perfect.

jfoobar 06-27-16 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 12836311)
Otherwise there are basically no heirs to the houses of Baratheon, Lannister or Tyrell. Frey, Bolton, and Martell are wiped out as well.

All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't kill all of the Frey heirs in under a month. Remember the two Frey boys in Winterfell earlier in the series talking about what number in the line of succession they were? I don't know if House Frey will re-appear in the series though, so it may not matter.

rw2516 06-27-16 06:49 AM

Has it ever been mentioned how to kill a dragon? That could be what Sam discovers in library.
After Dany conquers King's Landing and the south she'll move north to take out Jon Snow.
Snow will force her into a truce/alliance against the coming battle with White Walkers and army of the dead.
During the lull before the battle they start fooling around.
In the end Jon and Dany rule as king and queen. Everybody lives happily ever after.

JTH182 06-27-16 07:04 AM

Not that it's unheard of in Westeros, but Jon Snow is Dany's nephew. I see them being allies more than anything.

Bandoman 06-27-16 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 (Post 12836229)
I want Lady Mormont to win the Iron Throne by challenging all the lords of Westeros to rap battles.

Mormont - By Lin-Manuel Miranda

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 12836288)
Man that episode just delivered and delivered like an obstetrician moonlighting at Dominos.

:lol:

The one thing I don't get with Littlefinger's plan is giving Sansa over to Bolton in the first place.

I think he thought that the Lannister-Bolton-Frey faction would win out, and he would have ingratiated himself with the new Warden of the North. Now that has all changed, and he moves where the wind blows. He has the highest of ambitions, and is smart enough to keep himself in the game, but he lacks the consistency and loyalty that would allow him to ultimately win. It will be interesting to see how he reacts to Sansa's rejection and Jon's newfound status.

B.A. 06-27-16 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by General Zod (Post 12835613)
Predictions?

I think Queen Margaery is the sole ruler of King's landing at the end of the episode with all the other major players there dead. Perhaps she even plants to knife into Tommen. Complete guesses here but who knows..

Swing and a miss!

:D

B.A. 06-27-16 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Maz Kanata (Post 12836308)
They did that for seasons 4 and 5. No reason to think this season's closing episodes won't get a theatrical release as well.

They the released the end of season five in IMAX? I don't remember seeing that in my area. Or reading about it whatsoever. Blah.

mwbmis 06-27-16 07:12 AM

Jon Snow's lineage makes him kinda perfect as consort to Dany given family history. I'm guessing the reason they made the whisper inaudible, while still revealing who the baby was is because
Spoiler:
Leanna really loved Rhaegar and they secretly married, legitimizing Jon. Otherwise I have no idea why they'd make it inaudible, or why Rhaegar would send his top knights to guard a bastard baby when he knows Ned and Robert wouldn't ever harm Leanna

Lyanna would probably be fine, but Robert definitely would have killed the baby. As to why they fought to the death to guard her from Ned, that always kind of bothered me. Probably following orders.

RE - Littlefinger

That's the price the show paid for giving Sansa the Jeyne Poole storyline. Sure it gave her something to do last year and put that story in the hands of a known character, but it made Littlefinger's plan make less sense.