Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Major Characters Killed Off-Screen and/or without the participation of actor

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-16, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Major Characters Killed Off-Screen and/or without the participation of actor

I was thinking about this with the last couple episodes of "NCIS" where Ziva was killed in an explosion off-screen. Another one that came to mind was "Criminal Minds" where Gideon was murdered with a stand-in serving as the body (under a sheet).

What other instances has this occurred?
Old 05-17-16, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Re: Major Characters Killed Off-Screen and/or without the participation of actor

Julie Finlay on CSI

Her death was mentioned in passing on the 2 hour finale

CD was murdered off screen in Walker Texas Ranger.

Danny Sorensen was also murdered off screen on NYPD Blue when Rick Schroeder left the show.
Old 05-17-16, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Major Characters Killed Off-Screen and/or without the participation of actor

Nicole Chapman on Fame
Old 05-17-16, 11:18 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts

Henry Blake - M*A*S*H
Old 05-17-16, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Going back even further Jim Davis (Jock Ewing) was killed off on Dallas after he died in real life.

Lynne Thigpen died of a brain hemorrhage while working on The District. They didn't kill her off, but made her character die of the same fate. I remember they shut down filming for a couple of months after it happened.

On Army Wives, Kim Delaney's character Claudia Joy died offscreen when she wasn't asked back to the show. It was following her alcohol issues.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-17-16 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-17-16, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

While not technically "killed", Colin Baker's Doctor on Doctor Who should count. I think they just had Sylvester McCoy wear a wig to represent Colin's Doctor before the regeneration started.
Old 05-17-16, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Most famous, by far, is Charlie Sheen on Two and a Half Men. Twice, actually.
Old 05-17-16, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
Henry Blake - M*A*S*H
That was off-screen, but it was on the same episode he said goodbye and was done with his consent.
Old 05-17-16, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

James Evans - Good Times
Old 05-17-16, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Are we counting when the actor dies in real life? Because I imagine there'd be a ton of those...
Old 05-17-16, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Almost forgot, Larry Hagman (JR Ewing) was murdered off camera on the TNT reboot of Dallas after he died of cancer in real life.
Old 05-18-16, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

When the actress playing Livia died inbetween seasons of The Sopranos, they had her character die off-screen, but not before using her in one last scene by using old footage to CGI her head on another actresses body. Even 15 years ago this looked terrible.

Old 05-18-16, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Are we counting when the actor dies in real life? Because I imagine there'd be a ton of those...
Many examples already, but it falls within the parameters.
Old 05-18-16, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
That was off-screen, but it was on the same episode he said goodbye and was done with his consent.
No, it wasn't. Only a very few people knew they were going to kill off Henry, McLean was not one of them.
Old 05-18-16, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Private Practice:

Spoiler:
Pete at the end of Season five because they wanted to cut costs. Actor was not happy about it. Show only lasted a shortened season six more.
Old 05-18-16, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
While not technically "killed", Colin Baker's Doctor on Doctor Who should count. I think they just had Sylvester McCoy wear a wig to represent Colin's Doctor before the regeneration started.
That was the first one I thought of.

There was sort of a behind-the-scenes war that ended up with Colin Baker being fired between seasons. He was (rightly) pissed off and refused to return for a regeneration scene.
Old 05-18-16, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Sgt. Phil Esterhaus on Hill Street Blues, and Coach on Cheers, due to the deaths of the actors portraying them. I never watched Newsradio. How did they deal with the death of Phil Hartman?
Old 05-18-16, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Sgt. Phil Esterhaus on Hill Street Blues, and Coach on Cheers, due to the deaths of the actors portraying them. I never watched Newsradio. How did they deal with the death of Phil Hartman?
Phil was murdered during summer hiatus. The first episode of the fifth had the characters coming back from his funeral. They even brought back Khandi Alexander for that show.
Old 05-18-16, 07:57 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

I seem to recall one of the DA's from Law & Order just disappeared out of the blue. They said her character had been kidnapped and beaten to death.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandra_Borgia
Old 05-18-16, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Howard's mom on Big Bang Theory...although, she was never really "on" screen except for a computer generated shot from a satellite.
Old 05-18-16, 09:17 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dfmaverick2
Howard's mom on Big Bang Theory...although, she was never really "on" screen except for a computer generated shot from a satellite.
you get a few glimpses in this scene, too:

Old 05-18-16, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Peter Gregory on Silicon Valley. Christopher Evan Welch died during production of the 5th episode and was written off as being away on some business trip. The second season started with them relaying that he was killed while on safari.
Old 05-18-16, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Back in the '70s, Susan Saint James left "McMillan and Wife", which simply became "McMillan". At one point during the first episode, McMillan's sidekick (John Schuck) drops a line (I'm paraphrasing) commenting on how well McMillan (Rock Hudson) is doing since Mrs. McMillan died in that plane crash six months ago.
Old 05-18-16, 10:19 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Biggest one I can think of was Valerie Harper from her self-titled sitcom Valerie. She demanded more money once the show became a hit, contract talks fell through, and she walked off the show. Rather than recast her character (also named Valerie) they simply killed her character off and resumed the show as Valerie's Family, and later The Hogan Family.
Old 05-18-16, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
Biggest one I can think of was Valerie Harper from her self-titled sitcom Valerie. She demanded more money once the show became a hit, contract talks fell through, and she walked off the show. Rather than recast her character (also named Valerie) they simply killed her character off and resumed the show as Valerie's Family, and later The Hogan Family.
I seem to recall the reason given in the show was that a checkout aisle candy stand fell on her and killed her.

Pretty tacky way to treat her, regardless of behind the scenes drama.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.