Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Modern Family - Final Season Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-19, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts
Modern Family - Final Season Thread

OK, it looks like no one is going to start a thread for the final season of MF, so I will. Sorry I didn't do the nice picture and synopsis like the other TV thread starters do.

We're three episodes into the final season, and it hasn't been bad. The recent episode (10/9) probably being the best so far. Loved them bringing back Stephanie Beatriz for possibly the last time (and until Brooklyn Nine Nine comes back, what else is she gonna do?). Really enjoyed the Dunphy family all using Hailey's twins for their own selfish purposes.

Sure, it's not as good as the first few years, but it's still fresher than the other "big" ABC Wednesday night sitcom The Goldbergs, which at half of MF's age has become nearly unwatchable.
Old 10-10-19, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Re: Modern Family - Final Season thread

I remember some cringe-worthy stuff with Cam and Mitch in one of the first 2 episodes but i cant remember what it was now, haha. ModFam is a shell of its former self but still better than the current Goldbergs episodes (which i still watch for some reason)
Old 10-10-19, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
I remember some cringe-worthy stuff with Cam and Mitch in one of the first 2 episodes but i cant remember what it was now, haha.
Probably the inane plot device of both of them having an "affair" with the female smart refrigerator, the cringiest being Mitch singing "The Shallows" with said refrigerator.

ModFam is a shell of its former self but still better than the current Goldbergs episodes (which i still watch for some reason)
Yeah, you and me both, pal. ABC needs to cancel it because I don't have the willpower to delete it from my DVR. I'm "invested" in it. See: 2 Broke Girls. Thanks, CBS, for pulling the plug on that one long after I should have done so myself.
Old 10-10-19, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 436 Likes on 298 Posts

Barely made it thru the season opener... Mitch/Cam have become unwatchable.
Old 10-10-19, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Meathead
Barely made it thru the season opener... Mitch/Cam have become unwatchable.
You know, I constantly hear this complaint (Mitch/Cam), but they are what they've always been; an overdramatic gay couple. Hell, wasn't it the pilot episode where Cam introduces Lily ala The Lion King?
Old 10-10-19, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

This is falling into the trap that many moribund sitcoms fall into -- too much slapstick, and the character quirks are being amped to ridiculous levels.
Old 10-10-19, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

The show has dropped off in quality the last few seasons, but this season is on a whole different level of bad.

They're scraping the bottom of the barrel for story lines. This is what happens when the show goes on for so long.
The 2nd episode was especially horrible. Claire hiding her magazine interview... really? Cam/Mitch and the fridge? Phil is suspicious of who Gloria really is - should that be a story line in an early season instead of in the 11th season?

Just hanging around for the closure.
Old 10-10-19, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Coral
They're scraping the bottom of the barrel for story lines. This is what happens when the show goes on for so long.
The 2nd episode was especially horrible. Claire hiding her magazine interview... really? Cam/Mitch and the fridge? Phil is suspicious of who Gloria really is - should that be a story line in an early season instead of in the 11th season?
Yeah, Claire hiding the magazine interview from her (adult) children. Phil suspicious that Gloria took out that woman. That's like season one or two material. I'll also throw in that they presented Alex like a complete idiot, and the stuff about her being frozen was inexplicably dumb. And the girl wrecking her bike because she was watching Phil juggle was kind of strange, and they never followed up on it.

Only laughs I got were when Janice lifted her shirt and flashed her twat, and the cat following Alex around.

Old 10-17-19, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Wow, they did a hacked nudes storyline while an actress who had hacked nudes looks on. Ballsy.
Old 12-05-19, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I might be the only one still watching... which makes me envy everyone else.

They continue to scrape for story lines.

It's the final season, so I'm really glad we get some closure on Dylan's mom and Claire's step-dad.
I think we've seen each of them once previously - at least in any substantial way... why even bother with them? Shouldn't they be concentrating with the major characters instead in the final season? Where's Haley and Alex... and even Dylan?

WTF happened to Lily anyway? As soon as she became a teenager, she's barely included in the story lines... and many times isn't even on screen.

I did like how they made fun of themselves when Claire asked if Phil is still selling houses - since he seems to be home all the time.
I asked before and I'll ask again... what happened to Phil's magic shop? Or his and Jays parking lot?
Old 12-06-19, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm still watching. The writing is still top notch and overall the show is great. It seems like some people are expecting this to have The Soprano's style dept. Its a closed sitcom guys. Relax. There's only 5 months left anyhow.
Old 12-06-19, 10:23 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

I'm watching it... but what is there to say? It needs to end and it is... so...yay...
Old 12-06-19, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i'm enjoying the final ride.. lots of repeated stories, but a nice sendoff to see some of these folks for the last time together...
Old 12-06-19, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Modern Family has often limited the focus on the children to just one of the households.

Lily got a couple of episodes back in October. I like the idea of making her mean and sarcastic, it's a proper result when she has such self-centered parents in Mitch and Cam. I especially like the Halloween episode where she came in wearing a cheerleader outfit.
Mitch: I'm glad you're into the Halloween spirit, but isn't that a little provocative?
Lily: This is my actual cheerleader uniform. You knew I was doing that, didn't you?
Old 12-06-19, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I like sarcastic Lily as well. I loved the cheerleader bit
Old 12-06-19, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Lily listening to death metal is fantastic.
Old 12-07-19, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Paff
Modern Family has often limited the focus on the children to just one of the households.
It's a half-hour sitcom with thirteen characters spread across three separate family units. They aren't going to be able to give each one something to do in every episode.

In a lot of ways, I sort of wish they would push the adult characters (Jay, Gloria, Claire, Phil, Mitch, and Cam) into the background and give their kids (Manny, Haley, Alex, Luke, and Lily) more storylines now that they are young adults.
Old 12-07-19, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Even when the show focuses on a few characters only in episodes, the other characters are usually around making funny comments about the situation or something and just staying in the background. But we seem to be seeing more episodes where some characters are completely absent. This being the final season they should try to get more of the main characters involved... or at least ignore useless rare characters like Dylan's mom and Claire's step-dad. Although I think we should see Phi's dad again... we've only seen him twice in the last 2 seasons - and I believe that was just via a Skype session.
Old 12-08-19, 08:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Lily got a couple of episodes back in October. I like the idea of making her mean and sarcastic, it's a proper result when she has such self-centered parents in Mitch and Cam.
She's not played by a particularly good child actor so I think it's a case of working with what they've got.
Old 12-08-19, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BGPu
She's not played by a particularly good child actor so I think it's a case of working with what they've got.
Yeah, I wanted to be respectful and not mention that, but you're correct.
Old 12-11-19, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd actually rate this Christmas episode right up there with anything from the first few seasons, it was that good. Took me a good 45 minutes to watch it I was rewinding it so often. Not just the jokes, but the facial expressions (Haley and Alex especially), things like Claire throwing herself out the window, Lily's glee at seeing Manny punch Luke. Where was this the last several years??
Old 12-13-19, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, that was an excellent Holiday episode. I've had a feeling that the show would end up with the families spreading apart for awhile now. I loved Lily's reaction to Luke getting punched in the face. I also noticed that Luke's hairline is already receding which tells you how long the show has been on haha.

Old 12-13-19, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Some other good laughs:

Alex's facial expression when Phil suggests his partnership with Gloria should be called "Chica and the Man"

Lily when Luke gushes over Sherri: "And I didn't think it could get any gayer in this house"

Gloria acknowledging that she understands Phil's inappropriate double entendres, and in fact always has. Good callback to early seasons, actually, with Phil borderline hitting on her.
Old 01-09-20, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A solid episode for the mid-season return. The coincidences and mistaken intentions worked pretty well.
Old 01-09-20, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Modern Family - Final Season Thread

When we get time traveling i'm just going to go back to people watching Season 1 Modern Family and let them know the show lasts long enough for a Luke likes to bang 40 year old moms plot line

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.