Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Modern Family - Final Season Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-20, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts
Re: Modern Family - Final Season Thread

Sort of an "oh how the mighty have fallen" since the series finale was on tonight and nobody has anything to say so far.

I liked that it was definitely an ending and the switcheroo with Cam and Mitchell going to Missouri after all. The resolution for the Dunphy family was way too simple and immediate with ALL THREE kids moving out like that [finger snap].

But the show went out on a fitting sentimental note, and no matter what anyone thinks of what MF has become, it was a huge critical and commercial success. And right now, it looks like it may be the last one of those (for a sitcom) that network TV ever has.

Sort of sad when you think about how past finales were massive pop events, and even today when people are basically forced to be in their homes, I would be surprised if this was watched by 10 million.
Old 04-08-20, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

FYI, there is also a 1 hour behind the scenes documentary before it. 2 hours total tonight.
Old 04-08-20, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

It was ok, but they definitely dragged out the goodbyes by giving a few of them.

Did the Dunphies forget that there's a bedroom in the basement?

I expected Jay to say something a little more meaningful to Phil, but I guess it's good that it wasn't overdone.

Finales have to stop making a batch of characters leave the show's setting (ie. city, job, etc.). Too many long distance and permanent-ish departures. Phil/Claire can't be too upset, at least Haley and the grandkids are very close by... in Cam/Mitchell's old house.

I found the episode sad mainly because the show was around for 11 years and now it's done - and reminds me of all the changes in my own life as I'm getting older.
Old 04-09-20, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coral
Finales have to stop making a batch of characters leave the show's setting (ie. city, job, etc.). Too many long distance and permanent-ish departures.
That's what makes it "a finale" and not just the last episode of the series.
It establishes closure on this chapter of the family's story while not ending their story completely.

Old 04-09-20, 06:49 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
It establishes closure on this chapter of the family's story while not ending their story completely.
They gotta leave it open for spinoffs!

I thought the finale was fine. I got a few laughs... more so than normal.
Old 04-09-20, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

It was an appropriate finale. I think we all expected that to happen. Unlike most, I never thought the writing or acting had a huge dip in quality. I'll miss them.
Old 04-09-20, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Yeah, it was fine, pretty much a by-the-numbers finale. I'm just glad the whole season wasn't so schmaltzy, that they pretty much just saved it up for the finale. Not every show needs a "story arc", in fact for the longest time NO prime-time shows (outside of soaps like Dallas) did that, and the finale was just a last episode no different from the rest. But overall I was happy with this season, a step up from previous ones.

A few highlights from the finale:
Lily being ok with moving, so as to avoid a school assignment she's been procrastinating on. I can totally relate
Also Lily, when she goaded Mitch and Cam into karaoke. "I didn't think this through"
The appearance of Sal
The guy at the party "I'd like a cruise for a few good men. Oh, is that not appropriate? We don't talk like that anymore?"
I assume Alex was sending nude photos to Arvin?
lastly, I would have liked Jay and Gloria to have had a longer conversation in Spanish before Gloria even realized it.
Old 04-09-20, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

A finale is the end of the series, regardless of what happens.
Don't think it's needed that the characters have to have a major change in their lives in the finale. And certainly not multiple characters coincidentally happening all at the same time.
Old 04-09-20, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I always thought the Cheers finale, as drawn-out as it was, was great. Rebecca leaves, but she was always an outsider. Instead it's Sam and his regulars (there's not even an indication that Frasier will be moving to Seattle), and him realizing that his life is great just the way it is.
Old 04-09-20, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A finale is the end of the series, regardless of what happens.
Don't think it's needed that the characters have to have a major change in their lives in the finale. And certainly not multiple characters coincidentally happening all at the same time.
That's why I put the words A FINALE in quotes, or maybe I should Have used the expression grand finale.

But I figured that since you were posting on a forum like this that you would have the necessary context for my post.

The Beverly Hillbillies was the most popular show on TV for several years. They made 274 episodes in nine seasons. Have you ever seen the last episode (aka the series finale)?
It is just a regular episode of the show.

Same thing with Married with Children. A fact that has always bothered Ed O'Neill that FOX didn't treat the series with respect.

The fact that the characters have a major change in their lives is the de facto definition of what happens in a sitcom series finale when the producers are able to plan for it.

Everyone (but Ted!) at WJM gets fired. The war ends and everyone leaves Korea significantly changed. Alex gets a job in NYC. Theo graduates from NYU. Sam chooses the bar over Diane, realizing his true love. Monica and Chandler leave the apartment and move to the suburbs. Ray realizes how much his family loves him, and how much he loves them in return. Penny's pregnant and Sheldon shows emotional growth.

The idea is to create closure on the on the overall narrative of the entire series, thus attaching meaning to what would otherwise be a big collection of disparate episodes based on a continuing premise.
Old 04-09-20, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Didn't get many laughs from the finale, but that's been par for the course with this show for a few seasons. Luke acting like a dog was cringe worthy, and I agree it was too convenient that all the kids suddenly moved out soon after Claire and Phil said one of them had to go.
Old 04-09-20, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I didn't get why Jay was repeating sentences in English when he was trying to learn Spanish.
Old 04-09-20, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by windom
I didn't get why Jay was repeating sentences in English when he was trying to learn Spanish.
He wasn't repeating them. He was saying them, and the app gave the translation. But yeah, she should have been saying them too. Just HEARING the translation is not enough. I'm guessing Ed O'Neill isn't up for a lot of Spanish at this point in his career though.
Old 04-09-20, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I binged 10 episodes last night on Hulu to get caught up with the series finale.

Overall, it was fine and I did get a few laughs. I did think it was a little contrived that everyone was all leaving at the same time coincidentally. I did when Phil climbed into bed with Jay and snuggled with him as he was listening to the spanish tape.

I did like the 1 hour special before the finale (not on Hulu) I liked seeing some of the old audition footage back in 2009. It was interesting hearing how Ty Burrell was not really wanted as Phil. They actually had to create a demo reel with him playing Phil with the co-creator Steve Levitan's son that finally convinced them he was the right guy.

I admit, there were a few times in the last few years where I was tempted to drop the show as I thought the writing and comedy just wasn't as good anymore. But, I stuck with it as I felt like the Dunphy's and Pritchett's became part of my weekly schedule. I'm sure many of you agree, the comedy on this show is hit or miss. But the cast chemistry and comradery made up for the writings short falls. I wasn't into 30 minute comedies at all when this show premiered back in 2009. It got me back into the genre mainly because I liked that it was done single camera, which made it different from the comedies I grew up on.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-09-20 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-09-20, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 868 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I did like the 1 hour special before the finale (not on Hulu) I liked seeing some of the old audition footage back in 2009. It was interesting hearing how Ty Burrell was not really wanted as Phil. They actually had to create a demo reel with him playing Phil with the co-creator Steve Levitan's son that finally convinced them he was the right guy.
It's on Hulu, but they put it last and is listed as ep 199.

I've always enjoyed this show. It continued to make me laugh throughout. The premise of the series did not entice me, and I didn't start watching at first. It wasn't until about ep 6 or 7 when I just kept seeing the high ratings and praise.
Old 04-10-20, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

it was a good run, maintained solid quality throughout although those first few years it was something special... will be interesting to see what some of these folks wind up doing next.. especially Julie, Ty and Eric
Old 04-10-20, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I found the episode sad mainly because the show was around for 11 years and now it's done - and reminds me of all the changes in my own life as I'm getting older.
I found it sad because it made me think about my kids growing up and moving out
The following users liked this post:
Deftones (04-11-20)
Old 04-10-20, 12:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that it was decent. As far as quality over the years - the early seasons were sharper and more consistent, but they still had moments in all seasons and at worst, it was still ok tv.
Old 04-10-20, 12:19 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
I found it sad because it made me think about my kids growing up and moving out
It made me sad because my kids are all living at home with us during the Coronavirus situation and our house is overcrowded, and I can totally relate to Phil and Claire because it is simultaneously wonderful and maddening to have everyone home.
The following users liked this post:
BDB (10-15-22)
Old 04-11-20, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I admit, there were a few times in the last few years where I was tempted to drop the show as I thought the writing and comedy just wasn't as good anymore. But, I stuck with it as I felt like the Dunphy's and Pritchett's became part of my weekly schedule. I'm sure many of you agree, the comedy on this show is hit or miss. But the cast chemistry and comradery made up for the writings short falls. I wasn't into 30 minute comedies at all when this show premiered back in 2009. It got me back into the genre mainly because I liked that it was done single camera, which made it different from the comedies I grew up on.
Agree across the board here. Last few seasons have declined in humor and quality but it was still good enough to stick with. The Phil character is one of my favorites of all time and was good for a few laughs pretty much every episode. Feel a tinge of sadness now that it's over. It's easy to forget but when this show hit its stride around season 3 it was absolutely crushing it.