Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S6E02) -- "Home" -- 5/1/16

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-16, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S6E02) -- "Home" -- 5/1/16

Seems like you can kill anyone you want and stay in power. There's not going to be suspicion about Roose having a stab wound and his wife and newborn disappearing? We basically have the heads of Dorne, the Iron Islands and Winterfell change hands in two episodes, so at least they can't be accused of taking it slow.

Things are going kinda great for the Stark family so I fully expect Rickon to end up with the short end of the stick soon.
Old 05-02-16, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Knew it!
Everyone knew it. It was the worst kept secret in the universe. The only less well kept secret was never get into a land war in Asia.
Old 05-02-16, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Snow coming back - the least surprising plot twist ever. Also, the resurrection scene was a little ham-handed to me. Davos continues to be the best actor in this season, IMO. It helps that they keep giving him great lines: "apologies for what you're about to see".
2. Ramsey dispatching Roose. Very surprising to me, although in retrospect it makes sense. Roose was set up as a smart, ambitious, ruthless leader and yet he cuddled up with a psychopath. GoT doesn't reward stupidity, ever. I agree that this show makes killing a lord a little to easy and a little too easy forgiven.
3. The High Sparrow smirking at Jaime was great. Jonathan Pryce is absolutely perfect in that role.
4. Ah, so they're going to use Bran as an exposition machine. Interesting and not a bad idea. I forgot that Max Von Sydow is in this show.
5. Did they ever say Euron's name? Anyway, his name is Euron. Pyke is such a badass stronghold.
6. Sansa and Brienne talking about Arya. Best scene in the episode, IMO.
7. Tommen: a boy but a genuinely good person? Good people are rare in this world. He can't last long.

Compared to some of the dragging mid seasons, this season is absolutely flying along. The story's starting to pull in on itself rather than continually expanding.
Old 05-02-16, 06:39 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11
6. Sansa and Brienn talking about Arya. Best scene in the episode, IMO.
It bothered me that she didn't seem to know it was Sandor Clegane she saw Arya with. Maybe she just didn't want Sansa to know.
Old 05-02-16, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Everyone knew it. It was the worst kept secret in the universe. The only less well kept secret was never get into a land war in Asia.
Did this happen in the books, because everyone was talking about this on the internet for the past 6 months. Usually fans of the books don't spoil things, but for some reason every GOT talkback mentioned, "What episode is Jon Snow getting ressurected by Melisandre?"
Old 05-02-16, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by HN
ugh, hate losing roose.

Who's this baylon's brother guy? Have we heard about him before now?

When Aliser said it was time to open up the door, I really wanted Davos to be like "uh...did you bring the mutton?"love that guy, which means he's probably dying

Oh, and wan-wan slamming that guy against the wall like a rag doll has to be one of the best kills of the series
Euron is Balon's brother. He actually has 1 other, Victarion (commander of the Iron Fleet), though it doesn't look like he'll be in the show. Aeron is Balon's brother (the Drowned God priest who was talking to Yara in the water about leading the Iron Islanders). Euron has been mentioned in the show before. He's got a big role in the books.

Wun Wun is the giant

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?

As far Snow waking up and all that good shit at first I thought he wouldn't, because the only other person that I have seen bring people back from the dead was the priest guy who brought back the guy The Hound split in half in that cave fight a couple of seasons ago - the dude that had the fire sword (Lord of Light?).
You're referring to Thoros. Both Thoros and Melisandre worship the Lord of Light (also known as R'hllor) as red priests/priestesses.
Old 05-02-16, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
No, same guy. I could see how you could confuse them though.

Balon Greyjoy

Walder Frey

Holy shit that's not the same character.
Old 05-02-16, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
This marks the first episode where a Game of Thrones character is born and murdered in the same episode. Fucking brutal.
Didn't Craster's son get born and turned into a White Walker (which seems like essentially killed) in the same episode?
Old 05-02-16, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
Did this happen in the books, because everyone was talking about this on the internet for the past 6 months. Usually fans of the books don't spoil things, but for some reason every GOT talkback mentioned, "What episode is Jon Snow getting ressurected by Melisandre?"
The last chapter of the last book Martin released is about Snow's assassination. He doesn't say outright he's dead, just that he is being stabbed and his vision was fading to black.

The whole resurrection talk is due to all the theories about how the story will end using clues from the books.
Old 05-02-16, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The show is ahead of the books so book fans had to wait 5 years to get their answer. I would hate to be a book fan because watching the show now kinda ruins the book experience.
Old 05-02-16, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
The show is ahead of the books so book fans had to wait 5 years to get their answer. I would hate to be a book fan because watching the show now kinda ruins the book experience.
I don't care. The last two books were a mess.

One other point about this episode. OK, the Boltons have managed to piss off the:
- Lannisters
- Starks (it's been repeatedly noted that the Starks still have lots of supporters in the North)
- Freys, probably their only ally
- Greyjoys, especially with Balon out of the way
- Tullys

Also, Littlefinger is Lord of the Vale and Harrenhal and is fairly obviously plotting against the Boltons. All the Boltons have got is the Karstarks who are a small house themselves.

The Boltons are a minor house, they're in deep, deep shit. Ramsey's obviously insane and the show keeps directly his sadism at people who have powerful support. Ramsey needs some sort of strategy if the show's going to continue to use him as a foil. Also, the show keeps talking about the power of the Bolton's enemies without anything negative happening to the Boltons. The Boltons simply don't seem like a viable threat.
Old 05-02-16, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Maz Kanata
It bothered me that she didn't seem to know it was Sandor Clegane she saw Arya with. Maybe she just didn't want Sansa to know.
Briene knew that the man with Arya that she fought was Sandor Clegane (aka the Hound).

Here's a line of dialogue from last season about that...

Pod speaking to Brienne: "You're the best fighter I've ever seen. You beat the Hound."

So Brienne knew the man with Arya was the Hound. However, Brienne doesn't know that the Hound was nice to Sansa and so she has a favorable opinion of him. My guess is that Brienne thinks Sansa shares the common view of the Hound being a terrible person, and so she didn't want to alarm Sansa with the idea that Arya was with such a human monster.
Old 05-02-16, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like Ramsey really wanted to go to Castle Black. If that is the case, I think that he meets his end there.

"You keep making short jokes." - Tyrion
"I never made any short jokes." - Varys
"No, but you think about them!" - Tyrion
Old 05-02-16, 09:14 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

The one thing no one has brought up so far is the dragons and Tyrion appear to be friends now (or rather friend of a friend). Wonder if he'll use them to enforce order in Meereen?
Old 05-02-16, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

Man, can't believe that Ramsay just offed Roose like that. And then murdered his wife and newborn son -- before they even had a chance to name him Michael.
Old 05-02-16, 09:35 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
The only less well kept secret was never get into a land war in Asia.
you sound Ironborn
Old 05-02-16, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by HN
Ok, and this guy, too. *can raise the dead
Old 05-02-16, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

You're referring to Thoros. Both Thoros and Melisandre worship the Lord of Light (also known as R'hllor) as red priests/priestesses.

Ah, so that dude is a Red Priest. I reckon he's an old ass man, as well. He's not at all rusty like Melisandre is in terms of reviving dead folks.

Also, and I fucking called it a few seasons ago, Melisandre was fucking lying when she said she saw visions of Stanis being king. She fucking confessed to the guy with no fingers and said that it was all lies. Granted, some might think she was trying to save face, but I disagree. She was foolin' y'all all this time.
Old 05-02-16, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts

She fucking confessed to the guy with no fingers and said that it was all lies.
I interpreted that as "the Lord of Light misled me with lies", not that she herself was lying. She was too visibly shocked/rattled by her repeated failures (including when no one else was around) for me to believe this was her plan all along.
Old 05-02-16, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ah, so that dude is a Red Priest. I reckon he's an old ass man, as well. He's not at all rusty like Melisandre is in terms of reviving dead folks.

Also, and I fucking called it a few seasons ago, Melisandre was fucking lying when she said she saw visions of Stanis being king. She fucking confessed to the guy with no fingers and said that it was all lies. Granted, some might think she was trying to save face, but I disagree. She was foolin' y'all all this time.
She wasn't lying. She said that all the visions she saw were lies because she has now lost faith. She absolutely believed everything she was saying at the time. She may not even have been wrong about what she saw, as she could have just misinterpreted her visions.
Old 05-02-16, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I have never read a page of the books. But if you didn't see his resurrection coming a mile away, then shame on you. Also it is my understanding that Jon's status is not resolved in the books and the show is ahead of the novels.
Old 05-02-16, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

If the dragons are so smart, how come they couldn't remove their chains and shackles on their own? Seeing how Tyrion did it, it looked like each dragon could've done the same thing and easily pulled out the shackle bolt of the other dragon.
Old 05-02-16, 10:07 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
If the dragons are so smart, how come they couldn't remove their chains and shackles on their own? Seeing how Tyrion did it, it looked like each dragon could've done the same thing and easily pulled out the shackle bolt of the other dragon.
opposable thumbs (or lack thereof)
Old 05-02-16, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Roose was like Tywin in that he was ruthless but not slobbering, mad-dog psychopathic. Sure, he liked a good flaying as much as the next guy, but only when it served a purpose.

Upon reflection, it might have been more surprising (and fitting) if Roose had been the one to dispatch his crazy bastard during the hug. The charming villains are getting knocked off; evidently they're the next to go after the sociopaths run out of good guys to kill.
Yeah, Roose had become kinda sympathetic compared to Ramsay. I admit that when the stab happened, I was unsure for a second who was doing the killing, like maybe Roose didn't need his renamed son anymore. But it made more sense to have Ramsay be an even more complete and utter POS.

Originally Posted by Hiro11
One other point about this episode. OK, the Boltons have managed to piss off the:
- Lannisters
- Starks (it's been repeatedly noted that the Starks still have lots of supporters in the North)
- Freys, probably their only ally
- Greyjoys, especially with Balon out of the way
- Tullys

Also, Littlefinger is Lord of the Vale and Harrenhal and is fairly obviously plotting against the Boltons. All the Boltons have got is the Karstarks who are a small house themselves.

The Boltons are a minor house, they're in deep, deep shit. Ramsey's obviously insane and the show keeps directly his sadism at people who have powerful support. Ramsey needs some sort of strategy if the show's going to continue to use him as a foil. Also, the show keeps talking about the power of the Bolton's enemies without anything negative happening to the Boltons. The Boltons simply don't seem like a viable threat.
Yeah, Ramsay clearly has no idea what he's doing other than advancing himself. I guess his next strategy will be to march on Castle Black to get Sansa back, but even if he doesn't get wiped out there, someone else will get him. The North is pretty much up for grabs now. I guess Littlefinger is in the best position if he has Lannister support.
Old 05-02-16, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,281 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
Depends on which brand of dragon collar you purchase. It's a huge market.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.