Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Michael Strahan Quits ‘Live’ To Join ABC’s ‘Good Morning America’

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-16, 05:29 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Re: Michael Strahan Quits ‘Live’ To Join ABC’s ‘Good Morning America’

Then Lauer would end up working for the same network he badmouthed. I don't particularly see him going to ABC.

I could see Anderson Cooper taking over for Strahan. He guest hosts the show quite often when Strahan is out.
Old 04-20-16, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Then Lauer would end up working for the same network he badmouthed. I don't particularly see him going to ABC.

I could see Anderson Cooper taking over for Strahan. He guest hosts the show quite often when Strahan is out.
Based on his interview with Stern the other day, it does not seem like he would take that job.
Old 04-20-16, 06:22 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Michael Strahan may be the one exiting Live With Kelly and Michael, but it’s his co-host Kelly Ripa who’ll be missing from the show for the next three days.

ABC on Wednesday announced that Erin Andrews will serve as co-host alongside Strahan on Thursday and for a pre-taped Friday broadcast, while Pretty Little Liars‘ Shay Mitchell will occupy Ripa’s chair on Monday. No word on whether Ripa will return on Tuesday, April 26.

While a rep for the network noted that Ripa had “a previously scheduled vacation” on Friday and Monday, the statement gave no reason for her absence tomorrow.

On Wednesday’s Live, the show’s first telecast since Tuesday’s announcement that Strahan was transitioning to a full-time gig on Good Morning America, Ripa was a surprise no-show. As a result, Strahan was forced to awkwardly address his looming exit opposite guest co-host Ana Gasteyer.

According to reports, Ripa was blindsided when she learned of Strahan’s departure shortly after Tuesday’s show wrapped at 10 am. The news broke an hour later.
https://tvline.com/2016/04/20/kelly-...e-controversy/
Old 04-20-16, 06:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deftones
Based on his interview with Stern the other day, it does not seem like he would take that job.
It's too bad because Cooper would make a great permanent host.

From the sound of it the show doesn't have much longer to go anyways.
Old 04-20-16, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
No that is Steve Harvey.

Maybe Kelly Ripa is a bitch behind the scenes? Regis left and now Strahan.
Regis was pushed out the door (kicking and screaming if I remember correctly).
Old 04-20-16, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Kelly Ripa needs to put her big girl panties on. Dealing with it by pouting and saying "she feels hurt and betrayed on so many levels" shows me she doesn't have a clue on how the real world operates. Go get a job that benefits society, and then decide to throw a tantrum and not show up. Guess what happens...you're fired. Just reboot the show with two new anchors, it's not like she brings a lot to the show the few times I've watched it on a day off.
Old 04-20-16, 06:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Barth
Kelly Ripa needs to put her big girl panties on. Dealing with it by pouting and saying "she feels hurt and betrayed on so many levels" shows me she doesn't have a clue on how the real world operates. Go get a job that benefits society, and then decide to throw a tantrum and not show up. Guess what happens...you're fired. Just reboot the show with two new anchors, it's not like she brings a lot to the show the few times I've watched it on a day off.
She has a contract. If she doesn't show for an extended period of time I'm sure they'll threaten to sue.
Old 04-20-16, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Is Strahan really that popular?
The gay mafia has taken good care of him since he was publicly outed during his divorce trial.
Old 04-20-16, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Damn. I don't know much about the behind the scenes shit, but I did not expect this much discussion (in the media), nor such a reaction on Kelly's part. Even Howard Stern talked about it for like 10 minutes.
Old 04-20-16, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Kelly is a spoiled brat. She does not own the show, she is a contract player. Period. Get over it, or ABC will dump that chat fest so quick and add another hour of GMA. Then where will you be, Kelly?
Old 04-20-16, 08:16 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

She was spectacular on Broad City though...
Old 04-20-16, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Kelly is a spoiled brat. She does not own the show, she is a contract player. Period. Get over it, or ABC will dump that chat fest so quick and add another hour of GMA. Then where will you be, Kelly?
Live with K&M gets some impressive ratings though, regularly outpacing The Ellen Degeneres Show and The View.
Old 04-20-16, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Again, speaking from experience working on a daytime talk show, it's a lot more than just a job. You have to cultivate a relationship with the other person in order to be successful and that takes a lot of time and energy. It's like getting dumped in a very real way.

To find out the way she did would be really, really hard. One of our hosts was moved abruptly and it was extremely difficult because the next question is "are we all losing our jobs too because you're canceling the show?" Dropping one half of the name on the show like this (when it should have been a conversation that involved her and Gelman at least a little in advance) is kind of a shitty thing to do all around.

And management has made a lot of money off Kelly so treating her like she's disposable would suck. People tune in specifically for Kelly and Michael so they do have a fair amount of power when it comes to things like this.
Old 04-20-16, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Seriously, who has time to watch this show? Isn't it on mid-morning when most people are at work? Soccer moms?...I thought they were to busy holding down the house and running errands? If so, who is watching, the elderly that are retired? Demographic doesn't seem to fit.
Old 04-20-16, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Live with K&M gets some impressive ratings though, regularly outpacing The Ellen Degeneres Show and The View.
Perhaps, but extending GMA another hour would be much cheaper for the network. They may think the fight at LIVE just isn't worth it.
Old 04-21-16, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Barth
Seriously, who has time to watch this show? Isn't it on mid-morning when most people are at work? Soccer moms?...I thought they were to busy holding down the house and running errands? If so, who is watching, the elderly that are retired? Demographic doesn't seem to fit.
Bored housewives,Strippers who just go home from taking the kids to schools,the unemployeed,retireees,my nana etc . It's a country of 300+ million people with hundreds of subgroups and niches for everything.
Old 04-21-16, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Seriously, what the hell is up with ABC in the last week. First reports of a Stana Katic/Nathan Fillion feud after she was dropped from a potential 9th season of Castle. And now this mess.

I don't want to try to judge anyone, but seriously she needs to get over herself if these reports are true. People come and go from TV jobs all the time. Strahan found a better opportunity and is moving on, so wish him well and move on. If Live does stay on the air, I'm sure they will find a more than adequate co-host to replace him.
Old 04-21-16, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

The gay mafia has taken good care of him since he was publicly outed during his divorce trial.
Does that explain his appearance in Magic Mike 2?

They get a lot of A-List stars on that show and maybe they have better guests in one episode than Conan gets all week on TBS.

I know since I have Conan on a season pass on my dvr.

Not a big daytime talk show fan but Ellen probably has the best show.
Old 04-21-16, 06:02 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

So Ripa is pissed he left, but she didn't like him in the first place?
Old 04-21-16, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by William Fuld
Honestly, I must have missed that. Of course, Strahan has never really been on my radar. I was surprised to learn how long he's been on the show and even more surprised that he's very popular. I thought Ripa was the draw (apparently, so did she).
Old 04-21-16, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

I don't think Strahan knows what he's talking about. He says he will still be on the same channel but just on another show. Even though Disney/ABC owns Live, it is a syndicated show shown across the Country.

For example, in my local area, GMA is on ABC for 7-9 am est. Live with Kelly and Michael is on our local NBC affiliate from 9-10 am. At ten, we get Today's 3rd hour. We don't even get the fourth hour with Hoda and Kathie Lee Gifford.

So once he leaves Live, he won't be seen in our part of the Country unless you watch GMA. The whole thing is a mess. As popular is Live is with viewers, it's hard to believe they are basically tearing it apart at the seams.
Old 04-21-16, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
Honestly, I must have missed that. Of course, Strahan has never really been on my radar. I was surprised to learn how long he's been on the show and even more surprised that he's very popular. I thought Ripa was the draw (apparently, so did she).
He has a lot of heat right now. Live has been posting some of the best numbers its had in nearly a decade since he joined the show. As mentioned earlier women seem to love him.
Old 04-21-16, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

I don't want to try to judge anyone, but seriously she needs to get over herself if these reports are true. People come and go from TV jobs all the time. Strahan found a better opportunity and is moving on, so wish him well and move on. If Live does stay on the air, I'm sure they will find a more than adequate co-host to replace him.
Look at the daytime TV shows. They stay on the air for decades. Some hosts stay with the shows for decades.

Kathie Lee was on the show for over a decade.
Regis was on for over two decades.
Kelly has been there for 15 years.
Strahan is less than 4
Old 04-21-16, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Look at the daytime TV shows. They stay on the air for decades. Some hosts stay with the shows for decades.

Kathie Lee was on the show for over a decade.
Regis was on for over two decades.
Kelly has been there for 15 years.
Strahan is less than 4
And, mind you, Kathie Lee has revived her career again working with Hoda on the "Today" annex.
Old 04-21-16, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Again, speaking from experience working on a daytime talk show, it's a lot more than just a job. You have to cultivate a relationship with the other person in order to be successful and that takes a lot of time and energy. It's like getting dumped in a very real way.

To find out the way she did would be really, really hard. One of our hosts was moved abruptly and it was extremely difficult because the next question is "are we all losing our jobs too because you're canceling the show?" Dropping one half of the name on the show like this (when it should have been a conversation that involved her and Gelman at least a little in advance) is kind of a shitty thing to do all around.

And management has made a lot of money off Kelly so treating her like she's disposable would suck. People tune in specifically for Kelly and Michael so they do have a fair amount of power when it comes to things like this.
Great post.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.