Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Michael Strahan Quits ‘Live’ To Join ABC’s ‘Good Morning America’

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-17, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts
Re: Michael Strahan Quits ‘Live’ To Join ABC’s ‘Good Morning America’

Kelly Ripa & Ryan Seacrest Are Reportedly Off to a Rocky Start Due to His Possible Return to ‘American Idol’

https://www.lovebscott.com/news/kell...-american-idol
Old 05-12-17, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
Kelly Ripa & Ryan Seacrest Are Reportedly Off to a Rocky Start Due to His Possible Return to ‘American Idol’

https://www.lovebscott.com/news/kell...-american-idol
At this point, she doesn't need a Co-Host for interviews, she just needs an Ed McMahon type person (who can stand to the side of the stage) for the first segment that she can talk to about the gossip of the day, etc. I always thought the interviews were awkward as she gets her questions in and then whoever the co-host gets that token question in just to make them feel relevant.
Old 05-12-17, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
At this point, she doesn't need a Co-Host for interviews, she just needs an Ed McMahon type person (who can stand to the side of the stage) for the first segment that she can talk to about the gossip of the day, etc. I always thought the interviews were awkward as she gets her questions in and then whoever the co-host gets that token question in just to make them feel relevant.
Again, speaking from experience, unless you have a permanent co-host in place, the regular host HAS to drive the segments. The guest co-hosts don't have the same concept of the show flow and timing and aren't used to watching out of the corner of their eyes for the cues. Our hosts use IFBs (earpieces) and the guest hosts don't even wear them because it will just mess them up. For the guest hosts, they are usually just trying not to fuck up during the segments.

This is literally my day job and I deal with it all the time.
Old 07-09-17, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

In Touch is exclusively reporting that Ryan is not living up to the network's expectations.

"It seems Ryan has lost his Midas touch,” a source exclusively tells In Touch. "The decision to add Ryan was supposed to be a slam dunk, but he’s just not registering with viewers for some reason."

Ryan joined the show just in time for May Sweeps, but he was unable to bring the ratings up to where they were when Michael was still a host. According to the Nielson ratings, in May 2017 the numbers were 33 percent lower than they were the previous year.

Kelly, who had a say in who would join the show admitted back in May that she wanted Ryan because of his personality.

"It had to be somebody we would all want to hang out with — and not just on camera," Kelly said. "Because we all do hang out together when we’re not on-camera. That’s an important thing. He is just so professional and kind to everyone... He’s kind backstage, and he’s kind first thing in the morning. He calls everyone by name. He’s just a nice guy. That's what I envisioned we would have with the new host."

http://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/k...eacrest-136170
Old 07-09-17, 06:08 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
No surprise here. Strahan was the more charismatic of the two, which Ripa couldn't deal with so she agreed to white-bread Seacrest who doesn't connect with the audience.
Old 07-09-17, 08:06 PM

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Maybe Seacrest appeals to women, but I can't stand looking at the guy.
I didn't watch the show much before, but I really don't watch it now.
Old 07-10-17, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Eric F
No surprise here. Strahan was the more charismatic of the two, which Ripa couldn't deal with so she agreed to white-bread Seacrest who doesn't connect with the audience.
I talked to my mom and her friends (they are the target audience for these type of shows) and they actually liked Strahan more then Kelly Ripa. Many of them don't watch the show anymore for both reasons now as they miss Strahan and think Ripa is a diva.

I do wonder when ABC looks to replace her as she will be closing in on 50 years old in the next few years and starting to look it, plus she seems too polarizing at this point.
Old 07-10-17, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Strahan has things Seacrest can't bring to the table. Guys like him because he's in the NFL Hall of Fame, still does an NFL pre and post game show. Given the choice, I think most women prefer Strahan over Seacreast plus Michael brought in the African American audience to the show.

Plus, Ripa didn't do herself any favors when she acted like a total diva and refused to come on the show for a few days after the news broke that Strahan was leaving for GMA.
Old 07-10-17, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always saw Ryan Seacrest as a WTF choice to me. He was tolerated at best when he was host of American Idol. Most people always saw him as far too Hollywood (tan & teeth) and very protective of his private life. Being aloof and unapproachable are the two least desirable traits for a morning talk show host.
Old 07-11-17, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JackoOnHisBacko
Maybe Seacrest appeals to women, but I can't stand looking at the guy.
I didn't watch the show much before, but I really don't watch it now.
Seacrest's audience is housewives over the age of 50. And it seems like even they are getting sick of him.
Old 08-03-17, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kelly Ripa Blames Co-Host Ryan Seacrest for Sinking 'Live' Ratings — "It's Just Been a Real TV Marriage Mismatch".

Things are not looking good for Kelly Ripa and Ryan Seacrest at Live. According to Life & Style, the duo's daytime talk show has been experiencing sinking ratings in the last few months — and Kelly totally blames Ryan for not resonating with her loyal audience.

"The show is a wreck at the moment... Ryan is just not connecting with daytime viewers. He appeals to a much younger, music-oriented audience. Kelly blames the show. She feels [execs] made a huge miscalculation bringing him on to Live," an insider recently revealed.

Since Ryan, 42, officially joined Live as Kelly's new co-host on May 1, 2017, the show's ratings have reportedly dipped 23 percent compared to the same time period last year. Viewership again dropped 12 percent one week after the excitement of Ryan's addition to the show faded.

"For the show to not be a huge hit is a blow to Ryan’s ego. It felt very safe adding Ryan to Live. No one at the network thought that adding him was a huge risk," sources told Life & Style.

Though their program is experiencing a loss of fans, Kelly, 46, and Ryan still seem to be getting along on-camera. "Kelly and Ryan like and have a high regard for each other. They’re not angry with one another. It’s just been a real TV marriage mismatch," an insider said.

Unfortunately, the news that Ryan is joining the upcoming American Idol reboot has caused some drama behind-the-scenes at Live as Kelly is reportedly not thrilled that her co-host is taking on yet another gig.

"She didn't know about the American Idol revival," a source close to Kelly said. "When she found out she was truly rattled."

Another TV insider confessed the mom-of-three fears Ryan will ditch her just like her former co-host Michael Strahan recently did. "She feels stabbed in the back and believes she’s going to lose Ryan just like she lost Michael," the source said.

"Kelly is truly pissed that, after all the time ABC spent negotiating with Ryan for Live, they would then buy the show that made him a household name and take him away. [She] really thought Live would be Ryan’s focus."

http://www.closerweekly.com/posts/ke...ratings-138450

At this point, Kelly is such a diva, I could see Seacrest leaving and show gets canned.
Old 08-03-17, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

She's losing it.
Old 08-04-17, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It seems like the only way she stays relevant anymore is the revolving door of Co-Hosts. Her show is like the Trump Administration!
Old 08-04-17, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I don't watch any of these shows -- as I'm never in front of the TV at this time but I find Ripa to be insufferable in the few things I've seen her in. She seems dis-ingenuous. That said, freaking Seacrest brought us the gd Kardashians --- so screw both of them.
Old 08-04-17, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I think everyone, with the exception of ABC execs and one person in this thread, knew it was a bad idea to hire this bore.
Old 08-04-17, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

I actually thought he took the Idol gig to leave this show, I didn't realize he planned on doing both.