Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Shark Tank (ABC) -- Series Thread Part III

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-15, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Shark Tank (ABC) -- Series Thread Part III

I loved it when the sock lady went to the "cufflinks for socks" angle.
Old 11-23-15, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
That's true. I don't know why the producers keep him. I'm sure they could find an asshole with more charisma.
Do they need to be part of the Confrérie des Chevaliers du Tastevin like Kevin?
Old 11-23-15, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
How many already wealthy people are willing to portray themselves as a villain on television? That is easier said than done in finding a personality like him.
Old 11-23-15, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

How many already wealthy people are willing to portray themselves as a villain on television? That is easier said than done in finding a personality like him.
He's not a villain. He's disciplined. They even call him "shrewd" in the opening credits. And I would say that he's more sharky and than the others. He also looks at the money and proven track record more, and relies on a "future vision" less.
Old 11-23-15, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Do they need to be part of the Confrérie des Chevaliers du Tastevin like Kevin?
Preferably, or have a knighthood, or some other totem of abject egotism. Maybe Conrad Black, another odious Canadian, would work. I don't think he has enough dosh left to seriously bid on anything, but he'd be more entertaining than O'Leary, who's just a greedy slug with no evident redeeming qualities.
Old 11-24-15, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
He's not a villain. He's disciplined. They even call him "shrewd" in the opening credits. And I would say that he's more sharky and than the others. He also looks at the money and proven track record more, and relies on a "future vision" less.
He usually only makes offers that make business sense, but the show definitely portrays him as a villain because of it. He doesn't couch his cold business logic in nicer terms like the other sharks.

I don't mind O'Leary but I realize this show is entertainment, not real business.
Old 12-05-15, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That trike looks like it would be fun, for about 5 minutes
Old 12-05-15, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 268 Posts

The luggage was cool, but I would license those extra features (if there is a patent on it) to the largest luggage companies. The luggage itself (upright and odd material) didn't look all that great.
Old 12-06-15, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by astrochimp
That trike looks like it would be fun, for about 5 minutes
It looked wildly dangerous to me. Robert fell out of it two or three times on a clean, mostly empty floor.

It's a toy aimed at rich people and their children. There is a market for it but it's not a business I see becoming investable.
Old 12-09-15, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The trike was idiotic. There already exist far cooler recumbent trikes for adults than that thing, which is purely a toy.
Old 12-11-15, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess the Christmas spirit causes Mr Wonderful to pry open his wallet.
Old 12-12-15, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

After 2-3 horrendous episodes, the newest one delivered on some cool/decent products.

Geek My Tree - Very cool but Holy shitballs, WAY the fuck overpriced. Despite the cool factor, the pitch included what a pain in the ass putting lights on a tree is but didn't provide any info on how his lights are easier to install/store... just look at the pretty light display! Also as someone who has purchased a tree recently, a good 75-90% of what's out there are pre-lit. Does anyone buy just a tree anymore? Pre-lit trees solved the PITA factor years ago.

LovePop - Very, very cool. I loved this one. I'm a $.99 cent card guy, but those were damn impressive cards.

PiperWai - also a pretty cool product. Funny to see Lori give the workout gal a sniff, but it definitely makes a strong case that it works and the Sharks/viewers guessing on whether or not it works.
Old 12-12-15, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I bet that Geek My Tree tech gets licensed out to a bigger company, which is Kevin's bread 'n butter.

I have to admit, the LovePop cards looked awesome and I am not a big greeting card person.
Old 12-12-15, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I bet that Geek My Tree tech gets licensed out to a bigger company, which is Kevin's bread 'n butter.
Yeah, I couldn't figure out why $300 to $400 for those lights was such a bad price point. People pay up to $500 or more for a quality fake tree that will last a decade or more, I'm sure a lot would drop a several hundred for lights that look that cool/last a long time.

Plus there's a lot of business/professional places that would probably want to invest in those for their holiday displays.
Old 12-12-15, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The price did seem extravagant. The tree shown on air was actually their premium model that went for over $500 when all was said and done. That is simply too much if they ever wanted scale. Around $100 or even $200, it could quickly become a fad item everyone wants.
Old 12-12-15, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

The price did seem extravagant. The tree shown on air was actually their premium model that went for over $500 when all was said and done. That is simply too much if they ever wanted scale. Around $100 or even $200, it could quickly become a fad item everyone wants.
I did not have a problem with the price as much as the lights themselves just were not pretty. They were not a good shape and the colors were all muted and dull. Christmas tree lights should sparkle. I was not impressed with them.

As a man that is allergic to almost every deodorant, especially aluminum based ones, and have tried all the supposed natural hypo allergenic ones and they suck, I think there is definitely a market for PiperWai if it works and does not cause irritation with extended use. I use Silver Sulfadiazine but it is really bad to use that on a regular basis, so it is saved for important "non smelly" activities. First ST product I may actually give a go. Cuban's point was good though, despite being shushed by the other sharks.

The cards guys were completely tunnel visioned on kiosks but not sure that is the way to go at all. They are also not quite as unique as they made them seem. Lori's offer was subtly evil but maybe warranted.

Would love to see a truly technical product on ST, they are so few and far between.
Old 12-12-15, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something I have always wondered about this show:

Why does the opening announcer say "if they don't get exactly what they ask for, they walk away with nothing!"

The companies usually do end up getting offers for less than they ask for, so that opening never makes sense.
Old 12-12-15, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Something I have always wondered about this show:

Why does the opening announcer say "if they don't get exactly what they ask for, they walk away with nothing!"

The companies usually do end up getting offers for less than they ask for, so that opening never makes sense.
No I don't think so. The money is not negotiable, other than they can offer more, but the percentages are. So you could come in wanting

100,000 for 10%

and offers would be 100,000 for 10% or 15% or 20%, etc,...

Sometimes they offer more, so it might become two sharks for $200,000 and 25%, but never I will give you $50,000 for 5%
Old 12-12-15, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, the sharks cannot go below the dollar figure asked, but they can, and almost always do, get a higher percentage.

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
After 2-3 horrendous episodes, the newest one delivered on some cool/decent products.

Geek My Tree - Very cool but Holy shitballs, WAY the fuck overpriced. Despite the cool factor, the pitch included what a pain in the ass putting lights on a tree is but didn't provide any info on how his lights are easier to install/store... just look at the pretty light display! Also as someone who has purchased a tree recently, a good 75-90% of what's out there are pre-lit. Does anyone buy just a tree anymore? Pre-lit trees solved the PITA factor years ago.

LovePop - Very, very cool. I loved this one. I'm a $.99 cent card guy, but those were damn impressive cards.

PiperWai - also a pretty cool product. Funny to see Lori give the workout gal a sniff, but it definitely makes a strong case that it works and the Sharks/viewers guessing on whether or not it works.
Agreed, some pretty good stuff for once. And the deodorant wasn't even overpriced if I heard 2-something correctly. Normally everything consumable offered on this show is way overpriced, be it muffins or whatever.
Old 01-16-16, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That Uber guy sure likes telling us that he invested in Uber. But seriously, buying a car is going to become a thing of the past thanks to Uber.......WHAT?
Old 01-16-16, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sydonesia
That Uber guy sure likes telling us that he invested in Uber. But seriously, buying a car is going to become a thing of the past thanks to Uber.......WHAT?
I get the feeling that shark hasn't been outside San Francisco/Silicon Valley in a long, long time.

Our grandchildren's grandchildren will be driving cars unless someone invents Star Trek style teleporters.
Old 01-16-16, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just watched last week's episode. The woman with the rubber placemat for toddlers is one of the most insufferable and greedy people I have ever seen on the show. She was there solely for publicity. I hope her business bites the dust,
On the other hand, the Hungry Harvest guy not only had a great business idea, but one with a social conscience. I'm so glad he got a deal. One could see that Robert was passionate about the concept, which is why he got hissy and emotional when the guy cast about for other offers.
Old 01-16-16, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Robert often gets upset because presenters have used his offers in the past to leverage better offers from the other sharks, all the while ditching him usually for Mark Cuban.
Old 01-16-16, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

That chick selling the beard bib was smoking hot. I bet if she was selling it alone, one of the male Sharks would have invested.
Old 01-16-16, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
I just watched last week's episode. The woman with the rubber placemat for toddlers is one of the most insufferable and greedy people I have ever seen on the show. She was there solely for publicity. I hope her business bites the dust.
You can usually tell the ones who are there simply to get air time for their product. I don't think that was her goal. I think she really was an oblivious moron who needed her bug eyes slapped back in to her head. It was a great product (and probably with a tremendous markup), but she just had no realistic clue. I was surprised Mr. Wonderful didn't try to get her to do a licensing deal as a way to remove her from the concept.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.