Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Shark Tank (ABC) -- Series Thread Part III

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-16, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts
Re: Shark Tank (ABC) -- Series Thread Part III

I thought the plate presentation was a disaster as well. As they mentioned, it wasn't even a product yet. He couldn't even demonstrate the plate camera.

He was just selling a plate!
Old 03-12-16, 02:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I almost hate to say it, but I think that toilet light was a pretty great idea. Putting a face on it turned it into a gimmick and I think that part did them more harm than good, but a soft light that helps you to stay half-asleep and focused could turn into something once you use, you can't be without it.

Hated the T-shirt company. We really have reached a point where if you have the time to learn, you can put designs on your own clothes in WAY less than the 30 days it would take for them to get to your order.
Old 03-12-16, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

I had forgotten about the cowboy and his fitness business that was mentioned in last night's recap (3/11). However, last fall there was a Jillian Michaels "Reality Comp" on Spike where contestants pitched business ideas based around fitness programs and she would choose one as the ultimate winner that would receive a cash prize and endorsements (the series had maybe three episodes shown in prime time before it was burned off in the wee small hours of the morning). The Cowboy was one of the contestants and he had the same presentation: Jillian and her co-hosts were initially put off by his "yee-haw" routine but encouraged him to refine his program. He was eventually a runner-up on the show. I kind of wonder which came first since (unsurprisingly) neither was mentioned on the other show.
Old 03-12-16, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Was anyone else's audio 'off?' The music levels were way too low. It made the awkward stares and pauses even more awkward without music. Kinda funny.

I liked the MobCraft beer idea. The sharks had a blast with it too. Bummer he couldn't pull a deal.

The crazy shirt dude was too greedy. He shoulda taken Daymond's deal.

Illumibowl was pretty cool. $20 for a glorified nightlight is absurd though.
Old 03-13-16, 04:02 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Forbes has a good article on the Illumibowl:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/trangho/...in-the-toilet/
Old 03-13-16, 05:26 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I have been seeing ads for an illumibowl like product in my Groupon e-mails for years.
Old 03-13-16, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DWilson
I had forgotten about the cowboy and his fitness business that was mentioned in last night's recap (3/11). However, last fall there was a Jillian Michaels "Reality Comp" on Spike where contestants pitched business ideas based around fitness programs and she would choose one as the ultimate winner that would receive a cash prize and endorsements (the series had maybe three episodes shown in prime time before it was burned off in the wee small hours of the morning). The Cowboy was one of the contestants and he had the same presentation: Jillian and her co-hosts were initially put off by his "yee-haw" routine but encouraged him to refine his program. He was eventually a runner-up on the show. I kind of wonder which came first since (unsurprisingly) neither was mentioned on the other show.
I thought I was the only person who watched that Jillian Michaels show! I immediately recognized him from that, but I don't recall ever seeing him on Shark Tank before. I also wondered why he came on that show if he was already working with a Shark. That guy was super-annoying on the other show. I am surprised he got picked by Daymond.
Old 03-13-16, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
I have been seeing ads for an illumibowl like product in my Groupon e-mails for years.
yeah, I've seen them on a variety of novelty type sites for years
these do look to be a little bit better quality but they're not really a new idea. They were smart about doing it as a kickstarter though so they didn't really risk much of their own money

and my cheap (probably under $5) nightlight that just gives off a very soft glow works just fine and won't need to be cleaned

this type
Old 04-16-16, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Was dismayed to see that Kutscher tool on there again. Go back to Tinseltown and do whatever it is you do there.
The pet diagnostic device was cutting-edge, and I'm surprised it didn't get a better reception. A human variant, which will reportedly be able to detect all cancers and diseases, is in the process of being fine-tuned.
Of all the garbage that has been peddled on this show, and there has been more of it than not, the "hand board" is one of the most laughably pointless tchotchkes I have seen. I can't believe those clowns weren't laughed off the stage. Maybe one has to be a surfer to understand, but I cannot fathom its purpose.
Old 04-18-16, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Was dismayed to see that Kutscher tool on there again. Go back to Tinseltown and do whatever it is you do there.
The pet diagnostic device was cutting-edge, and I'm surprised it didn't get a better reception. A human variant, which will reportedly be able to detect all cancers and diseases, is in the process of being fine-tuned.
Of all the garbage that has been peddled on this show, and there has been more of it than not, the "hand board" is one of the most laughably pointless tchotchkes I have seen. I can't believe those clowns weren't laughed off the stage. Maybe one has to be a surfer to understand, but I cannot fathom its purpose.
Thought the pet diagnostic thing was idiotic to be honest. Surprised he was not laughed off the stage as it is completely and totally impractical.

Hand board is a not a pointless tchotchke, but t is a very, very niche product
Old 04-18-16, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Thought the pet diagnostic thing was idiotic to be honest. Surprised he was not laughed off the stage as it is completely and totally impractical.
The urine collection is a bit impractical, but not prohibitively so, and the device, if it passes due diligence and proves to have medical merit, is an excellent way to save time and hundreds of bucks on vet visits and tests.
Hand board is a not a pointless tchotchke, but t is a very, very niche product
OK, fair enough. I know nothing about surfing. I think 99.99% of people would have absolutely no use for that ridiculous thing.
Old 04-18-16, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Often these "Guest Sharks" do one day of presentations and it's enough for two episodes. That was the case with the guy who kept talking about his "Uber" investment.
Old 04-18-16, 08:13 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

The urine collection is a bit impractical, but not prohibitively so, and the device, if it passes due diligence and proves to have medical merit, is an excellent way to save time and hundreds of bucks on vet visits and tests.
I could just imagine trying to get my cat to pee in a cup.
Old 04-18-16, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Eric F
I could just imagine trying to get my cat to pee in a cup.
Used litter and a tea-strainer
Old 04-18-16, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I actually liked the pet diagnostic device. If you regularly take your dog for a walk, it wouldn't be too challenging to collect the urine.

I've got a 12-year-old German shepherd that is on medication for his arthritis. Plus, I have been known to be a worrier. I would use the product. If nothing else, it would help put my mind at ease about his health.
Old 04-18-16, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I think the handboard looked like a lot of fun. Cost prohibitive for me at $170 but if I see it for rent on the boardwalk I'd love to give it a go.
Old 04-18-16, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^But... what would you do with it?! Anybody who buys one of those will find it in the garage 10 years from now covered in dust.

Originally Posted by DWilson
Often these "Guest Sharks" do one day of presentations and it's enough for two episodes. That was the case with the guy who kept talking about his "Uber" investment.
Oh, the guy in the cowboy shirt? Yeah, I don't like him much either.

Eric F makes a good point about kitty cats. It would be much better if the device could glean a reading from a blood sample or the DNA in a hair root.
Old 04-19-16, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

^But... what would you do with it?! Anybody who buys one of those will find it in the garage 10 years from now covered in dust.
I would do the same thing I do with my surfboard. Use it when I go in the ocean.
Old 04-19-16, 09:11 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would be much better if the device could glean a reading from a blood sample or the DNA in a hair root.
Not 100% on the tech, but I imagine the benefit to urine versus blood is that pee could easily hit all those different 'sensors' on the cup. A drop of blood isn't gonna go as far and you've have to nick a vein to get enough blood to reach all those little squares. And hair I think would require so much more processing that you'd have to be an actual lab tech to figure it out.
Old 04-19-16, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Good points.
Old 04-19-16, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

Those hand boards have been around for 30+ years. They were popular in the 80's. The problem is the price. Typical ones are $30-40 at most.
Old 04-26-16, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Blurring the lines between a couple episodes but, I liked the handboards. They looked and sounded like they were fairly high quality which would justify the price. Problem is the market. First they're limited to people that live near an ocean. Second, you take that already meager number and cut it down to people that aren't already into surfing... so an even smaller market. I didn't know they already existed. I was thinking it would be a perfect item for vacationing people/kids if it weren't for the price.

I liked the Drip Drop on the next episode. I'm glad the kiddos got a deal despite it being a prototype, which the show doesn't focus on much anymore. Sure the flavor wasn't there and the final shape wasn't finalized but the potential is there. Kudos to Barbara for stepping up.

The magic act was kind of odd. Go out on the road and earn your way to the top/Vegas. Seems like they're just looking for a shortcut. I'm with Laurie. Tour and do a 2-3 week stint in the top markets.
Old 04-27-16, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

The magic act was on America's Got Talent a few years ago. I guess they want publicity anyway they can.
Old 05-13-16, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Is it me or do the ideas really suck now?

I couldn't help but laugh when this idiot trotted out his camping "experience." Granted, I don't want anything to do with that but recognize that some do. Then I was at his value. Projecting $35M in sales.
Old 05-13-16, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

EVP should go to the car insurance companies and sell it. Let them sell it and offer a discount.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.