Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Royal Pains (USA) - Series Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-09, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Royal Pains -- New USA Series -- "Pilot" -- 6/4/09

You can download this episode for free at iTunes this week (starting June 9th).

Standard def or high def.
Old 06-10-09, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 619 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
^ I was thinking the same thing with regards to a Pilot checklist. Establish the character, get the character where he needs to be, show him working his magic, show that he's needed, give him a reason to stay, introduce a love interest, and a "throw down" comment to close it off ("You're going to get what you deserve", " You're in over your head", "You have no idea what you're in for.", "Good luck, you're going to need it.", etc; )

It was extremely paint by numbers, but likable so I'll likely keep watching it. It's not like there is anything better at 10 pm Thursday during the summer.

That was my take as well. Should be plenty of eye candy in this show, which can't hurt.
Old 06-11-09, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Royal Pains -- "There will be food" -- 6/11/09

Royal Pains

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

A retired ballerina lets loose by eating junk food but soon collapses after indulging. Elsewhere, Hank treats a fisherman with hepatitis C; and Jill loses funding for her free clinic.

This new picture of the cast that I found is pretty funny. Loved the expression on Paulo Costanzo's face.

Anyways, last week's Pilot was very entertaining. Hopefully the show can keep it up.
Old 06-11-09, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Royal Pains -- "There will be food" -- 6/11/09

As I usually find with beautiful women, I think the Indian girl looks hotter with the glasses on.

This was a pleasant surprise and I think it will be a fun summer show.
Old 06-11-09, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like this show and am in for the run.

Thanks for the reminder.
Old 06-11-09, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The pilot is currently available for free download through iTunes and Amazon.
Old 06-11-09, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

I am about 30 minutes into the pilot and I am already tired of the brother. If he continues to annoy, it is enough to make me tune out.
Old 06-11-09, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk God

If anyone is curious. USA ordered 12 episodes for the 1st season.
Old 06-11-09, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Thanks for the reminder! I'll have to set the DVR for it because I'm going to go see The Hangover around the time this is on.
Old 06-11-09, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I am about 30 minutes into the pilot and I am already tired of the brother. If he continues to annoy, it is enough to make me tune out.
So...how'd those last 47 minutes work out?
Old 06-11-09, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just watched this and didn't really get into it. As others said, completely by the numbers, and very much a pilot. The lead is very bland. They would have been better served to cut back on his uber-ethics and moral superiority and instead use the incident that got him fired to give him a palpable distaste for the rich. The script seemed to set that up, but didn't follow through. Maybe the just assume everyone hates the rich. Without that motivation his reluctance to accept the gig read as plainly contrived.

Also, I agree about the USA leads looking alike. The lead looks so much like Spencer during the opening fast cut basketball scene I thought it might have been him.

Still, I like the brother, it has hot chicks, some of the characters were amusing and the premise might have potential, so I'm going to write the pilot off as a pilot and give it a couple of episodes.
Old 06-11-09, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Enjoyed the pilot a lot, but I found this episode to be pretty dull. Hope the series gets better.
Old 06-12-09, 01:19 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Enjoyed the pilot a lot, but I found this episode to be pretty dull. Hope the series gets better.
Same here
Old 06-12-09, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 619 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Same.
Old 06-13-09, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Watched this tonight and I will echo the sentiments of several previous comments. It was a pretty disappointing episode. They were really trying too hard to be funny in this episode and it really came across as being forced. All the fun and magic from the Pilot was not there at all. I thought the main plot about the Ballerina and her fainting spells because of the food she eats was not interesting at all and the actress who played her wasn't interesting either. I don't see why Evan was so into her in the 1st place. The scene with Evan cooking and listening to classicial music was painfully bad.

I really liked Jill in the Pilot, but she was so unlikeable through most of this episode (mostly when she was drunk.)

Why was Andrew McCarthy even in this episode? It was such a thankless role, which could have been played by any TV actor.

On the postive side, I did think Hank was charming and I thought he did have a few nice moments with Jill when she was Sober. I do think that Mark Feuerstein and Jill Flint have some nice chemistry.

Being that this is the 1st season, I guess we can expect a few bumps in the road. Heck, Burn Notice wasn't perfect in it's 1st season.
Old 06-13-09, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
The scene with Evan cooking and listening to classicial music was painfully bad.
I watched that scene kind of in a state of disbelief. As the scene came to an end I was thinking they had better cut to a shot of the chick watching him, or somebody else seeing him, because I couldn't fathom that they were dragging it out just for the audiences' benefit.
Old 06-13-09, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Based upon the pilot, I recommended this show to friends. When I was watching the kitchen-dance scene, I could feel my face get red from embarrassment. Even though my friends weren't there, all I could think of was how utterly bad this was and how many cred points I am going to lose.
Old 06-13-09, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, I had the same nausea from watching the dance scene.
Old 06-14-09, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Caught this last night and thought it was entertaining. I'll probably continue to watch since it's summer and there isn't much else on.

I hope that's the last we've seen of the lady from the party - that was just too much.

I really like his chemistry with the local doctor, I think that will prove good for the show in the long run.

I think his "distaste" for the rich comes through more through his sarcasm and discomfort with all the excessive money - especially when it conflicts with his moral center.

I also agree that the brother was fun and helped bring some comedy to lighten up the story along the way.
Old 06-15-09, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This just aired in Canada last night and I thought it was pretty good - slow to start but once it got going, I was hooked. I like the tone and the leads are pretty decent - and that hospital administrator is HOT AS HELL. (She was recently on Gossip Girl and was hot there too). I like the brother, despite getting the feeling they were trying a bit too hard with the character but I think the show has promise and will definitely stick with it.
Old 06-15-09, 04:21 PM

I like the brother a lot actually, he's my favorite character in the show, I'm glad that he's going to stay around for the long haul.

Odd that the administrator actually helped get him some work in the beginning of the second episode.
Old 06-18-09, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Royal Pains -- "Strategic Planning" -- 6/18/09

Photobucket

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

A senator's son falls ill with a strange sickness. Elsewhere, a dog walker seeks Hank's advice; and Evan sets his sights on landing more female clients while also planning a date for Hank and Jill.

Last week's episode was a dud. Hopefully this one is better. Sounds promising.

If you missed it, the awesome pilot episode re-airs at 1:30pm and the crap 2nd episode airs at 3pm.
Old 06-19-09, 12:11 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Re: Royal Pains -- "Strategic Planning" -- 6/18/09

This shows drifting into the if the "I'll watch because nothing else is on" zone. I think all the supporting characters are more interesting than Hank, and there's something about Mark Feuerstein's acting that just annoys me.
Old 06-19-09, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrX
This shows drifting into the if the "I'll watch because nothing else is on" zone. I think all the supporting characters are more interesting than Hank, and there's something about Mark Feuerstein's acting that just annoys me.
Agreed. USA's motto is "Characters Welcome" but Hank doesn't seem that compelling of a character yet. He seemed almost incompetent in this episode until the very end.

I don't find the supporting characters that interesting except for Divya and Campbell Scott's rich guy. I think the brother is annoying and the hospital lady is just boring.
Old 06-19-09, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

This episode was a step up from last week. The mystery with the football player went down like a House mystery, only without everyone being called an idiot.

Still, they continue to bring out the hot chicks, and as long as they keep that up, along with somewhat decent stories, I'll be tuning in.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.