Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jeopardy! Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-22, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 130 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Not to discount Sam Buttrey who won the Professors Tournament and is a strong contender to win this tournament too but Matt just did not seem into this game nor the exhibition match -- maybe getting his car's AC fixed and moving along in his academic career suffices.
Old 11-11-22, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 675 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone
Not to discount Sam Buttrey who won the Professors Tournament and is a strong contender to win this tournament too but Matt just did not seem into this game nor the exhibition match -- maybe getting his car's AC fixed and moving along in his academic career suffices.
Definitely rooting for Sam in the final. Seems like a really decent guy.

And Matt did seem off.
Old 11-11-22, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
two games.
Originally Posted by Red Dog
2-day cummulative final.
[Trebek]Two day total point affair. [/Trebek]
Old 11-11-22, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 485 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
From what I understand, Jeopardy! doesn't cover the contestants' travel expenses, so if you are invited to appear on the program you're responsible for your own transportation and lodging expenses.
Jeopardy covers travel expenses for champions who extend over taping weeks. They cover travel and lodging for all Tournament of Champions contestants.
Old 11-11-22, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 203 Likes on 164 Posts

Coming into this tournament, I kind of had Andrew He as the dark horse to win it all. I remembered that he was champion and had Amy beat in her first game until he missed final Jeopardy.
Old 11-11-22, 06:48 PM

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

He certainly made some very bold bets on the Daily Doubles.
Old 11-11-22, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,984 Likes on 2,035 Posts

Sort of surprised
Spoiler:
just how hard both Matt and Mattea went down. Mattea especially, though it didn't help that Andrew hit both DJ Daily Doubles.
Old 11-12-22, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JackoOnHisBacko
He certainly made some very bold bets on the Daily Doubles.
Big balls on those bets. And he pretty much needed all of that to cover Eric.
Old 11-12-22, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 108 Posts

For those that missed it, the exhibition game is up on YouTube
Old 11-12-22, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The gasp from the audience, the look of shock on the faces of the other contestants, and Ken's, "Oh, wow, I did not think you were going to say that," was truly a champion moment by Andrew He with that wager. Kudos to Mattea and Eric for staying in the fight and finishing as well as they could given Andrew's big lead. Great game going into the final matches.
Old 11-15-22, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Very good Finals Game 1.
Old 11-16-22, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 302 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Very good Finals Game 1.
Game 2 was interesting as well. It seems like it is all coming down to betting strategies, not only on Final Jeopardy, but on the Daily Doubles. The way they bet during FJ in game 2 determined who would win this one. Even the contestant that had less than half the other two going into FJ still had a chance in pulling out the win.
Old 11-16-22, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From the ’80s: “I want my 2 dollars”

Old 11-17-22, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

So, reading a story on CNN about the recent "controversy" over a Bible answer but, gotta, say, I am far more shocked about the Gabby Patito question/answer:From the article:
Just a few days before the Bible kerfuffle, an episode of “Celebrity Jeopardy!” featured a clue about the 2021 death of Instagram personality Gabby Petito and the suicide death of her boyfriend, Brian Laundrie, who wrote that he was responsible for her murder.

“In 2021 fugitive Brian Laundrie ended his days in FLA’s Myakkahatchee Creek area, home to these long & toothy critters,” the clue read.

(The answer was “What are alligators?”)

Viewers were appalled that the question invoked both suicide and a highly publicized murder.

In a statement to various media organizations, an attorney for the Laundrie family demanded an apology from the show, calling the question “distasteful.”

I agree with this poster on Twitter:
“Y’all couldn’t have gotten to alligator AAAAAANY other way???”

I certainly am not on the side of a murderer but, maaan, this question just seems a weird go to for this show.
Old 11-17-22, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
So, reading a story on CNN about the recent "controversy" over a Bible answer but, gotta, say, I am far more shocked about the Gabby Patito question/answer:From the article:
Just a few days before the Bible kerfuffle, an episode of “Celebrity Jeopardy!” featured a clue about the 2021 death of Instagram personality Gabby Petito and the suicide death of her boyfriend, Brian Laundrie, who wrote that he was responsible for her murder.

“In 2021 fugitive Brian Laundrie ended his days in FLA’s Myakkahatchee Creek area, home to these long & toothy critters,” the clue read.

Viewers were appalled that the question invoked both suicide and a highly publicized murder.

In a statement to various media organizations, an attorney for the Laundrie family demanded an apology from the show, calling the question “distasteful.”

“Y’all couldn’t have gotten to alligator AAAAAANY other way???” one viewer wrote.

I certainly am not on the side of a murderer but, maaan, this question just seems a weird go to for this show.
I've been watching every episode of Jeopardy and don't recall this clue unless it was on Celebrity Jeopardy. It seems like there could be other solutions to the clue "long and toothy critters" that reside in the Florida preserves. There isn't an exact length to the term "long", so certainly other animals that live there that have teeth would also be correct. Was Brian Laundrie a "fugitive" before he committed suicide. I don't think he was even labeled a fugitive until after he was deceased. He was just a person of interest before that.
Old 11-17-22, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

I've been watching every episode of Jeopardy and don't recall this clue unless it was on Celebrity Jeopardy. It seems like there could be other solutions to the clue "long and toothy critters" that reside in the Florida preserves. There isn't an exact length to the term "long", so certainly other animals that live there that have teeth would also be correct. Was Brian Laundrie a "fugitive" before he committed suicide. I don't think he was even labeled a fugitive until after he was deceased. He was just a person of interest before that.
Yes, the article I posted says Celebrity Jeopardy.

Just a few days before the Bible kerfuffle, an episode of “Celebrity Jeopardy!” featured a clue about...
Old 11-17-22, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Yeah, I’m not easily offended and don’t really follow Jeopardy controversies but even *I* thought the question was in poor taste. Especially since the answer could have come from a million other questions and had absolutely nothing to do with the Gabby Petito case.
Old 11-17-22, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've been watching every episode of Jeopardy and don't recall this clue unless it was on Celebrity Jeopardy. It seems like there could be other solutions to the clue "long and toothy critters" that reside in the Florida preserves.
The answers in that category started with the letter "A."

Old 11-17-22, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Yeah, I’m not easily offended and don’t really follow Jeopardy controversies but even *I* thought the question was in poor taste. Especially since the answer could have come from a million other questions and had absolutely nothing to do with the Gabby Petito case.
It's a weird one to get through. It sounds more politically or emotionally motivated by one of the clue writers. most likely one of the female clue writers managed to get that one slipped by. You would think the main produce or whomever is head of the show that approves the clues would have stopped that one being used, but Celebrity Jeopardy is a bit less serious than the regular game play so the bar is set as high for the level of clues they choose to use.
Old 11-17-22, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh... I'm beating the shit out of myself for not getting today's Final Jeopardy question. I've never seen the first movie referenced, and the second movie is one of my all-time favorites, but I completely blanked on the answer until I heard it.
The following users liked this post:
story (11-17-22)
Old 11-17-22, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian

“Y’all couldn’t have gotten to alligator AAAAAANY other way???” one viewer wrote.

I'm not a religious person or a biblical scholar, so I don't understand the controversy for the Final Jeopardy. It seems some scholars are arguing that Paul didn't write the letters based on their research. But since this was a question about what it said in the bible, shouldn't who the letters were attributed to in the Bible be what counts. If I understand correctly, the scholars are arguing that the bible might be incorrect, therefore the Jeopardy response of "Hebrews" is incorrect.
Old 11-17-22, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Epistle to the Hebrews is anonymous, but it's been historically attributed to/assumed to be written by Paul. Many modern scholars now believe it was written by someone else. There's no official attribution to it.

As such, it's an ambiguous question.
Old 11-17-22, 06:15 PM

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,259 Posts

Absolutely, I was floored when that happened and my feed from certain circles in my life has been all abuzz about it!

Bonus: Hebrews may have been written by a woman, and it's been interesting to witness some people have... "feelings" about hearing that for the first time in the last 24 hours.
Old 11-17-22, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,332 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The answers in that category started with the letter "A."
"What is an alligator? Thank you, Mayim, I'll stick with 'the letter A' for 800."
"Your clue for 800 is: The person who wrote that last clue."
"What is an asshole, Mayim. 'A' for $1000.

Old 11-17-22, 07:11 PM

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

You heathens and your Bible question doubts. The Bible is the infallible word of God.
If you can't understand the simple, not at all incomplete, revised, translated, or contradictory things it contains, I hope you have a fondness for sulfur and very warm temperatures.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.