TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jeopardy! Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-22, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 160 Likes on 111 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Originally Posted by movieguru
I wonder what criteria they use to decide who pays against whom in these championship games. Do they do it at random, put the very top scoring players again each other, or mix the very top players with the lower ones so that towards the finals most of the very top players will most likely still be in the tournament close to the very end.
The quick answer is it's primarily seeded based on number of wins followed by money won. Here's a Reddit post that goes into more detail
Old 11-03-22, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 706 Likes on 575 Posts

I felt the opposite. The Second Chance tournament clues were much easier for me than the championship tournament clues thus far.
Same here. Though I find it funny that I can roll the sports categories and Jeopardy contestants tend to struggle with them.
Old 11-08-22, 06:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exhibition game tonight: Amy Schneider, Matt Amodio, Mattea Roach
Old 11-08-22, 08:10 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,103 Likes on 919 Posts

What does that even mean? Why were they playing for absolutely nothing? Was it just for ratings or something? I mean it was looser and more funny than normal, but I didn’t get it if there were no stakes and doesn’t matter what they bet.
Old 11-08-22, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
What does that even mean? Why were they playing for absolutely nothing? Was it just for ratings or something? I mean it was looser and more funny than normal, but I didn’t get it if there were no stakes and doesn’t matter what they bet.
They said they were doing it to give them some practice before the real tournament since they automatically got a pass on the first part of the tournament. I think Matt and Amy were intentionally not really trying and Mattea was taking it a little more seriously. That may give her false confidence when the game is for real.
Old 11-09-22, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,142 Likes on 2,128 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Today represented a sort of hole in the schedule.

First, they way they're doing this tournament with eighteen people playing in the quarterfinals MTWTFM, then those six winners playing against Amy, Matt, and Mattea, for three consecutive days in the semifinals WTF, Tuesday was an odd day out.

Second, it's Election Day, so there's a good chance today's episode was pre-empted or shown at two in the morning in some markets. So it was probably smart to do a burner episode that didn't count.
Old 11-09-22, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk God

I didn't even think about the election day thing. Yeah - that makes sense.

It was lighthearted fun and gives the 3 a chance to refresh themselves on buzzer timing.
Old 11-09-22, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,022 Posts

We didn't see the exhibition game. Did we miss anything?
Old 11-09-22, 02:24 PM
Premium Member

Received 807 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
We didn't see the exhibition game. Did we miss anything?
Eh, it was lighthearted fun. You missed Ken giving away one of the proper responses and him cussing about it (it was bleeped).
Old 11-09-22, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Also, I didn't see Mattea in her regular Jeopardy run. Even though it was an exhibition, she was impressive.

I was looking ahead at the episode descriptions in my DVR. I know the 3 semis are today through Friday (3 byes + 6 QF winners). How do the finals work - since I see 'if necessaries" later next week? I guess this means that it's individual games for the finals (no cummulative scoring) and the first to win 3 games is the winner? Is that right?
Old 11-09-22, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 647 Likes on 465 Posts

That was a fun show.
And Ken screwing up was great stuff.

I wonder if they did this also because it was the anniversary of Alex’s passing.
Old 11-09-22, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know if players are contractually obligated to show for the Tournament of Champions? What if someone doesn't feel like sullying their record with a possibly bad showing at the Tournament? Do you think Amy, Matt, or Mattea were paid for showing last night? Maybe they could have made more money on giving a talk for one night, or something. I don't know...
Old 11-09-22, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 647 Likes on 465 Posts

I doubt they get paid to appear on a game show.
Old 11-09-22, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Laertes
Does anyone know if players are contractually obligated to show for the Tournament of Champions? What if someone doesn't feel like sullying their record with a possibly bad showing at the Tournament? Do you think Amy, Matt, or Mattea were paid for showing last night? Maybe they could have made more money on giving a talk for one night, or something. I don't know...
There was the one lady who died, so I guess there is one way out.

I doubt there's an obligation to come back, but everyone who participates gets a decent chunk of money even if they lose (is the minimum $5k?) and I suspect for most players its about the game itself. Plus it's what, 30 minutes of "work", you can schedule other things around it.
Old 11-09-22, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jericho
There was the one lady who died, so I guess there is one way out.

I doubt there's an obligation to come back, but everyone who participates gets a decent chunk of money even if they lose (is the minimum $5k?) and I suspect for most players its about the game itself. Plus it's what, 30 minutes of "work", you can schedule other things around it.

It's quite a bit more than 30 minutes since they all have to travel to California to play the game.
Old 11-10-22, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 206 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Also, I didn't see Mattea in her regular Jeopardy run. Even though it was an exhibition, she was impressive.
Speaking as someone who generally doesn't care for long running "super champions", Mattea's run didn't really bother me that much. First, while she had some runaway games, there were enough competitive games sprinkled in to largely avoid the SSDD feel of other "super champions". For instance, I found the Amy games particularly interminable.

Second, while I recognize that she was a polarizing figure, I found a lot of her personal quirks endearing. I thought she was kind of cute in a "weird girl" way. In fact, I distinctly remember wanting her to win in her first game, because I found her a little odd but endearing.
The following users liked this post:
Doc Moonlight (11-10-22)
Old 11-10-22, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

It's quite a bit more than 30 minutes since they all have to travel to California to play the game.
Okay, that is true unless you live in SoCal.So there is more time involved overall. But the main point is that it's pretty good money for the amount of time you put in. I don't think most contestants exactly have a lot of stuff they are "forfeiting" by going to a taping. And, as I stated, I doubt it's really about the money for most people that make the Tournament of Champions anyway. But it's nice to make a month's salary or more for 1-2 days of actual shows (I guess possibly more days as they made this year's tournament bigger and longer than normal)
Old 11-10-22, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jericho
Okay, that is true unless you live in SoCal.So there is more time involved overall. But the main point is that it's pretty good money for the amount of time you put in. I don't think most contestants exactly have a lot of stuff they are "forfeiting" by going to a taping. And, as I stated, I doubt it's really about the money for most people that make the Tournament of Champions anyway. But it's nice to make a month's salary or more for 1-2 days of actual shows (I guess possibly more days as they made this year's tournament bigger and longer than normal)
Yes, the money makes it worth it and it is probably more than they would make on their day jobs during that time. But if you have jobs, families, and other responsibilities, it could be difficult to juggle that and have to schedule the time to go to the tournament especially if the tournament extends over the one taping day and you have to be there for two weeks taping. If you're single with little responsibilities, it's much easier.
Old 11-10-22, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,142 Likes on 2,128 Posts

From what I understand, Jeopardy! doesn't cover the contestants' travel expenses, so if you are invited to appear on the program you're responsible for your own transportation and lodging expenses.

I suppose they could cover these expenses, or otherwise provide incentives, for those invited to the tournaments to insure their participation.
Old 11-10-22, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I was looking ahead at the episode descriptions in my DVR. I know the 3 semis are today through Friday (3 byes + 6 QF winners). How do the finals work - since I see 'if necessaries" later next week? I guess this means that it's individual games for the finals (no cummulative scoring) and the first to win 3 games is the winner? Is that right?
Yes. that's correct. Minimum of three games, possibly 7 games needed to crown a champion.
The following users liked this post:
Red Dog (11-10-22)
Old 11-10-22, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jjcool
Yes. that's correct. Minimum of three games, possibly 7 games needed to crown a champion.
Is that the way they've always done it for the TOC. I've never really paid much attention to the tournaments before, but I always thought they just did the cummulative score for two games.
Old 11-10-22, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Is that the way they've always done it for the TOC. I've never really paid much attention to the tournaments before, but I always thought they just did the cummulative score for two games.
I don't think they've ever done it like this before. When they did the GOAT showdown between Jennings, Rutter, and Holzhauer, they did something similar. Jennings won 3 games in 4 matches and was the winner (Holzauer won the other match).

The ToC format I'm used to is 5 QFs (5 winners, 4 highest scoring wild cards advance), 3 semifinals (with those 9), 2-day cummulative final.
Old 11-10-22, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great game tonight!! I knew Steve Martin would have a good chance in beating Matt Amodio. They were all so close going into Final Jeopardy that any of them could have one this match.
Old 11-10-22, 07:46 PM
Premium Member

Received 807 Likes on 532 Posts

That was a good game, one of the better ones I've seen in a while.
Old 11-11-22, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Cow
That was a good game, one of the better ones I've seen in a while.
Matt's FJ wager was odd. He was betting that he wouldn't get FJ correct and that the others wouldn't either. It will be interesting to see if Mattea can win her match. If not, it will be just Amy left out of the super champions.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.