Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jeopardy! Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-22, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

I was watching when that Pettito clue was revealed and was surprised enough by it that I needed to rewind the clue to see it again to be sure I saw what I thought I saw.

Definitely a poor choice for a clue.
Old 11-18-22, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The Epistle to the Hebrews is anonymous, but it's been historically attributed to/assumed to be written by Paul. Many modern scholars now believe it was written by someone else. There's no official attribution to it.

As such, it's an ambiguous question.
I see. So, the clue could have been written "A letter to them is the New Testament epistle with the most Old Testament quotations" and it would have been ok?
Old 11-18-22, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

What was Amy thinking. She should of bet much more and she would of won the third game. Now she lets Andrew back in the game.
Old 11-18-22, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kahuna
What was Amy thinking. She should of bet much more and she would of won the third game. Now she lets Andrew back in the game.
Her strategy was that if she missed it, Andrew He couldn't beat her even if he bet it all and got it right. She was hoping Sam wouldn't get it right, but even if he did, the tournament would continue. So, her betting strategy was either she would win the tournament today, or no one would.

On a side note, If Andrew He had not missed the Daily Double and lost $10k he would have been in the lead going into Final Jeopardy and Amy's betting strategy would have been much different. She would have wagered enough to be ahead of He and likely Sam and therefore would have won the match and tournament. So, He missing the last Daily Double actually benefitted him as the tournament would have been over if he got the Daily Double correct.

Last edited by movieguru; 11-18-22 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-18-22, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Was the answer to the controversial Bible question "Hebrews?"

In that case, I posit this clue: "Man makes beer this way."

As for the Petito question (I still barely know who that is or why there is such a long thread) ... I am sorely disappointed no entertainment writers used the headline "Jeopardy Airs Dirty Laundrie."
Old 11-18-22, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Was the answer to the controversial Bible question "Hebrews?"

In that case, I posit this clue: "Man makes beer this way."

As for the Petito question (I still barely know who that is or why there is such a long thread) ... I am sorely disappointed no entertainment writers used the headline "Jeopardy Airs Dirty Laundrie."
No, the question was "Who are the Hebrews?".
Old 11-18-22, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

What are the husbands of the Shebrews?
Same category for $600, Mayim ...
Old 11-18-22, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by kahuna
Wow. But with it 2-2-0, it kind of made sense when you do the math re: Andrew.

Go Sam! He made a dumb FJ wager in the 4th game.

Re: Andrew, the DDs giveth and taketh away.

This is a great format. And they are all evenly matched it seems.
Old 11-18-22, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

Amy should have won 4 games so far but made bad bets on the final answers.
Old 11-18-22, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by whotony
I think her strategy was sound for today's game. She ensured that she would not lose the competition regardless of what the outcome of this game would be even if it slightly handicapped her from winning this round. Sam winning would not end the tournament today. Amy or Andrew He winning would have ended the competition today. Her wager limited the final outcome to two out of tree possible scenarios. Due to her wager either Sam would win and the tournament would go on or Amy would win and the tournament was over. She made it impossible for anyone but her to win the tournament with this game. Sam previously had no wins, so him winning one doesn't really change much since the other two players still only need the one game to win.
The following users liked this post:
whotony (11-18-22)
Old 11-18-22, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Yay Sam! Another game awaits.
tommyp007 (11-18-22)
Old 11-18-22, 09:01 PM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
I see. So, the clue could have been written "A letter to them is the New Testament epistle with the most Old Testament quotations" and it would have been ok?
I suppose. Here's some thoughts based on what I know, though I could be wrong on something in here, I'm not studying Hebrews every day:

Paul's
Narrator: "It wasn't Paul."

letter to them
Thee question itself, "Who are the Hebrews?," is flawed because it's never explicitly stated by the author they're writing to a group of Jews or Jewish Christian converts. It could be Christians of any background, including Gentiles. It's likely to Jewish converts because of all the OT references but it's not for sure, despite the book's name)

is the New Testament epistle
It's really more of a sermon than a letter.

with the most Old Testament
The author likely had the Septuagint or LXX Greek translation which is technically the OT but it's not the original Hebrew that interpreters use today, but this is a quibble, if you ask me.

quotations.
Sure, if you mean including allusions to the Hebrew Bible aka Old Testament, but maybe not exact quotes, that I don't know, and I've heard arguments that Romans has more but I've never counted.

I used one of my degrees. Do I get that student debt relief check now?
Old 11-19-22, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

This was the only game she lost due to her Final Jeopardy wager. She couldn't win the first or third games since Andrew was ahead and he got FJ correct, and she won the second and fourth games. And movieguru pointed out why this game was a strategically sound bet.
Old 11-19-22, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

That's not really correct at all. Andrew won game 1 because he was in the lead going into Final Jeopardy and won it. Amy only won Game 2 because Andrew missed Final Jeopardy (where he was leading). Andrew won game three because Sam missed Final Jeopardy (Amy was a distant third). And then Amy won game 4 because she was leading into Final Jeopardy and bet small (she would have lost if Sam had gotten it correct). Game 5 was almost an exact replay of Game 4 in Final Jeopardy. Amy bet small again. Probably because the Final Jeopardys have been so hard and 3/4 games have been won when the leader got it wrong.

Can't really fault Amy for the strategy. It obviously didn't work out and it has to sting knowing you could have won it all in Game 5. But, the same strategy specifically helped her win Game 4 and also helped Amy and Andrew come from behind in Final Jeopardy in Games 2 and 3. You're basically betting that the Final Jeopardy would be so hard no one gets it. Which has been true most of this tournament. It just wasn't true in Game 5.The good news? You still have a shot in Game 6
joltman (11-20-22)
Old 11-19-22, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by joltman
This was the only game she lost due to her Final Jeopardy wager. She couldn't win the first or third games since Andrew was ahead and he got FJ correct, and she won the second and fourth games. And movieguru pointed out why this game was a strategically sound bet.
Actually, Andrew missed Final Jeopardy in Game 3. Sam was winning, but missed it. Andrew also missed it, but bet small knowing Amy couldn't catch him by doing so. Andrew was basically betting on Sam missing it and also betting enough to win. Which is what happened, Sam missed it and also bet big. It didn't really matter if Andrew got the question right or not (of note, Amy literally did the same thing in Game 2 that Andrew did in Game 3)
joltman (11-20-22)
Old 11-22-22, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, Amy won the Tournament of champions!! I'm glad she won as she was my top choice. It was a great tournament and I usually don't pay much attention to the TOC every year. This one was probably the most watched tournament of champions run in all of Jeopardy except for maybe the one that Ken Jennings competed in.

I was surprised the Final Jeopardy clue was extremely easy this time. I couldn't believe that Sam missed it, but he must have just had a hard time recalling the actual name of the play. He was clearly on the right track and seemed to know it was the one that was connected to Abraham Lincoln's assassination, but got it mixed up with another similar named play or novel.

Amy's FJ bid was a bit puzzling. She only need to wager $12,801 to be ahead of Andrew should he bet it all and get it right, but she bet $13,000 instead. The extra was unnecessary since she wouldn't win the final amount, and that extra amount could have potentially caused her to lose the game. Sam bet it all on FJ. If I were him, I either would have bet nothing hoping the others would bet the most against each other and get it wrong. Or I would more than likely wager $7601 so I would have been ahead of both Amy's and Andrew's totals that they had going into Final Jeopardy.

Last edited by movieguru; 11-22-22 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-22-22, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Maybe easy for you, but the second I saw the category, I knew I wasn't going to be able to answer it (though I figured it was related to the Lincoln assassination).

Anyhow, a well-earned victory by Amy.
Old 11-22-22, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Maybe easy for you, but the second I saw the category, I knew I wasn't going to be able to answer it (though I figured it was related to the Lincoln assassination).

Anyhow, a well-earned victory by Amy.
I didn't think I would get the correct solution based on the category either. I figured the play "Our American Cousin" that Lincoln was at when he was assassinated was nearly as well known as who killed him or the name of the theatre where it occurred (Ford's Theatre). His assassination was of the most covered topics in American history classes I've had from elementary school to high school. To me anyways, it seemed like John Wilkes Booth, "Our American Cousin", and Ford's Theatre are synonymous with Lincoln's assassination.
Old 11-22-22, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk God

John Wilkes Booth and Ford's Theatre and the dates involved - those are easy for me. The name of the play in question - nope.
Old 11-22-22, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
John Wilkes Booth and Ford's Theatre and the dates involved - those are easy for me. The name of the play in question - nope.
I don't remember the exact date, just the year. The play name and the name of the theatre come up quite often in regular Jeopardy game play and I can recall at least two times where they've come up in Final Jeopardy. It seems to be one of their most common questions. My 8th grade U.S. history teacher made us remember the Lincoln's killer and well as the location and name of the play he was watching at the time for a final exam, so I guess that trivia has always stuck with me. If the play name ever comes up again on Jeopardy, you might now remember this conversation and be able to recall the name of the play.
Old 11-22-22, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Monday's show was pre-empted because of World Cup here. My American Cousin was the FJ answer and they didn't all know it? Really? Maybe the only reason I know it is because of sci-fi time travel stuff where they try to prevent it. It's like "Who else got shot in the car riding with JFK?" That's common knowledge isn't it.
Old 11-22-22, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by rw2516
Monday's show was pre-empted because of World Cup here. My American Cousin was the FJ answer and they didn't all know it? Really? Maybe the only reason I know it is because of sci-fi time travel stuff where they try to prevent it. It's like "Who else got shot in the car riding with JFK?" That's common knowledge isn't it.
Well, Gov. Connolly would be easy for me, but I wouldn't consider that 'common knowledge.'

The thing about Jeopardy and trivia in general is that what may be easy for one could easily be unknowable to another. I always find it funny when they have a sports category and the contestants struggle with it, yet I would sweep the category with ease.
Old 11-22-22, 03:54 PM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts

I could pick the play name out of a 3 option selection, but I wouldn't have come up with the name on it's own. And just based on the category name, I would have wagered with the assumption I would get it wrong regardless
Old 11-22-22, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Thinking I know the play's name from having seen the Twilight Zone episode umpteen times. Russell Johnson goes back in time and tries to warn everybody but nobody believes him. Booth finds about about him and locks him in a room or something. The only person who believed him was a rookie cop who tries to warn people. When Johnson returns to the present the grandson of the cop is a member of Johnson's exclusive wealthy gentlemen's club because the rookie cop ended up a hero and wealthy. I think before he went back in time the grandson was a butler at the club.
Old 11-22-22, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516
Thinking I know the play's name from having seen the Twilight Zone episode umpteen times. Russell Johnson goes back in time and tries to warn everybody but nobody believes him. Booth finds about about him and locks him in a room or something. The only person who believed him was a rookie cop who tries to warn people. When Johnson returns to the present the grandson of the cop is a member of Johnson's exclusive wealthy gentlemen's club because the rookie cop ended up a hero and wealthy. I think before he went back in time the grandson was a butler at the club.

Was this the original Twilight Zone?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.