Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-21, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 749 Likes on 370 Posts
Re: Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

I don't wear pants if I don't have anywhere to go. I have been in the office for over a year at this point, but many are just going back. If I was still working from home, I wouldn't be wearing pants most of time. I imagine that many/most of the people that do wear pants at home wear sweatpants or pajama bottoms (neither of which I would call "real pants"). My wife will even wear pajama bottoms to the grocery store, lol.
Old 07-16-21, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,029 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I don't wear pants if I don't have anywhere to go. I have been in the office for over a year at this point, but many are just going back. If I was still working from home, I wouldn't be wearing pants most of time. I imagine that many/most of the people that do wear pants at home wear sweatpants or pajama bottoms (neither of which I would call "real pants"). My wife will even wear pajama bottoms to the grocery store, lol.
This is most definitely my work-from-home dress code, but they don't leave the house. Well, except on my property, if I need to pick up the trash/recycle bins, or sit in the backyard.
Old 07-16-21, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,228 Likes on 4,250 Posts

She's putting on jeans though, and leaving sweat pants on the floor. It's not like she's wearing work clothes. Were there people who wore sweat pants but not jeans during Covid?

Seriously, the more I scrutinize this ad like the Zapruter film, the less sense it makes.
Old 07-19-21, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 193 Posts

I'm getting tired, -just from the sheer repetition, -of the woman whose "spotty network" , -causes her to show up in a Medieval costume for a business meeting.

But the one that bugs me is a current Domino's Pizza commercial. At first I thought they were guaranteeing you your fresh pizza two minutes after you show up. But, no, -the commercials says they'll get the pizza to you two minutes after they finish cooking it (however long that takes), -or you'll get a free pizza. It seems like they're guaranteeing they'll actually do their job, -that you'll get your pizza two minutes after they finish cooking it. wow, I'm impressed.
Old 07-19-21, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,216 Likes on 2,075 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
I'm getting tired, -just from the sheer repetition, -of the woman whose "spotty network" , -causes her to show up in a Medieval costume for a business meeting.
Agreed. Even with spotty service, why would that lady think it’s a costume party? She must have realized it was a regular business dinner when she saw it was taking place at a nice restaurant.

Every time I see it I think, “When you want Melissa McCarthy but you’re only filming a shitty T-mobile commercial…”
Old 07-20-21, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 394 Likes on 282 Posts

Every and any Liberty Mutual Commercial. I would never get insurance from them based on how bad all of their awful commercials are.
The following 2 users liked this post by jpcamb:
Cusm (09-01-21), tommyp007 (07-21-21)
Old 07-20-21, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 924 Likes on 683 Posts

Thankfully it's limited due to being a trailer but the Forever Purge promo. Every time I hear that guy say "The real purge! The forever purge!" I want to punch the TV.
Old 07-20-21, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ads are not random, -they have a target in mind. A friend and I have discussed the State Farm ads with (for example) "Thanks for the 'Parker' rate", the pizza delivery person gifting Jake with the Coo-Coo Crusties and The Atomic Brownie, or the Butcher with the extra meat, or the woodcarver who sculpts Jake's face from memory. I imagine it's trying to tap an underserved market, -emphasizing single people rather than families perhaps, -or is there something more going on, because they're definitely aiming at something ....

Last edited by DWilson; 07-23-21 at 06:11 AM.
Old 07-23-21, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I am officially sick to death of all of the Liberty Mutual commercials.
Old 07-23-21, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,754 Likes on 1,897 Posts

The one that features a talking penis with John Goodman's head. It's downright horrifying.

Old 08-08-21, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I’ve watched a couple nights of the Olympics on NBC this weekend so that means I’ve seen this commercial approximately 6,361 fucking times!

Old 08-08-21, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,228 Likes on 4,250 Posts

It's painful to admit because I like her work on SNL so much (especially her work in fake commercials) , but Kate McKinnon's Verizon spot is excruciating. So painfully unfunny. And it looks like she's trying SO hard to be funny. I don't know what actually happened but it looks like she was sent onto a big sound stage without a script and was told to riff for an hour. It's a mess. It genuinely makes me sad.

Old 08-08-21, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
I am officially sick to death of all of the Liberty Mutual commercials.
Wet Teddy Bears, get your wet teddy bears!
Old 08-08-21, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
It's painful to admit because I like her work on SNL so much (especially her work in fake commercials) , but Kate McKinnon's Verizon spot is excruciating. So painfully unfunny. And it looks like she's trying SO hard to be funny. I don't know what actually happened but it looks like she was sent onto a big sound stage without a script and was told to riff for an hour. It's a mess. It genuinely makes me sad.

https://youtu.be/VF2TZc4VG8k
Yeah, that stupid “Superstar!” pose she does at the end just screams “Eh, just do something funny” from the director (the awkward laughter doesn’t help either).
Old 08-09-21, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't hate it, but there's an ad that CBS runs for a Fall sitcom named "Ghosts", which I suppose is about a young couple (starring Rose McIver from "I, Zombie") buying a property that's haunted by comic spirits. Every time I see it I sort of expect it to be a Geico commercial.
Old 08-11-21, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 950 Likes on 724 Posts

I just saw a commercial last night for a "body odor eliminator" that is intended for use in a certain part of the anatomy. They don't say what it is, but then the subject of the commercial does certain yoga poses that spell it out. In other words, it's a real life version of the SNL parody ad "Ass Don't Smell".
Old 08-11-21, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Brad Garrett’s mob boss (or whatever he’s meant to be) in the Jimmy Johns commercials aren’t nearly as funny as the ad men think they are.
Old 08-31-21, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

Only thing I can think of is how much of those drinks and treats were wasted because of that ass-hat dad. And I don't care how good those mats are, that slushie splashed on the back seat and other places not covered.
Old 08-31-21, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,845 Likes on 1,234 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8A63W-op1M

Only thing I can think of is how much of those drinks and treats were wasted because of that ass-hat dad. And I don't care how good those mats are, that slushie splashed on the back seat and other places not covered.
Seconded. The dad is an asshole to scare his kids, they're chumps to laugh at him, he's an immature idiot, the food is wasted, the kids have to sit with their feet in the slushie for the rest of the movie, and it's still going to be a hassle to remove the mats and clean them later. Gah, hate that ad!
Old 08-31-21, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not only that but the dickhead has his taillights and dome light on during the movie! Screw that dude!
Old 08-31-21, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,845 Likes on 1,234 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Not only that but the dickhead has his taillights and dome light on during the movie! Screw that dude!
fuck yeah! Kill him! Kiiilll hiiimmm
Old 08-31-21, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,281 Likes on 732 Posts

Every sonic commercial.
The following users liked this post:
Cusm (09-01-21)
Old 09-06-21, 02:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those prescription drug commercials that consist of nothing but the drug's name and "Ask your doctor about (X)." They say literally nothing about what the medicine is supposed to treat, but we should ask our doctors about it? What is even the point of making a commercial with no information on the product?
Old 09-06-21, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by GhostLee
Those prescription drug commercials that consist of nothing but the drug's name and "Ask your doctor about (X)." They say literally nothing about what the medicine is supposed to treat, but we should ask our doctors about it? What is even the point of making a commercial with no information on the product?
Based on every prescription commercial I've ever seen, these drugs are intended to make you swim with dogs, play baseball, or hold hands with your spouse in a bathtub or something.
The following 3 users liked this post by Eddie W:
Kurt D (09-06-21), Obi-Wanma (09-07-21), tommyp007 (09-06-21)
Old 09-06-21, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Ten years ago Burger King was trying to push its breakfast menu with people singing an annoying jingle. Hated those especially.

In fact, I hate any commercial that doesn't depict the actual clientele of a specific product and portrays a fantasy reality where all problems can be solved by getting it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.