TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

Old 09-06-21, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,389 Likes on 4,374 Posts
Re: Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

Originally Posted by General Zod
Every sonic commercial.
Strong disagreement. I liked the Sonic guy and the smoldering ambiguously gay chemistry between them.

That said, it's a chemistry that can't be duplicated easily and Sonic's new policy of just throwing two random people in the car together is NOT working at all. Bring back.....well, we never found of their names, but you know, the Sonic guys!
The following 3 users liked this post by Decker:
Cusm (09-08-21), Obi-Wanma (09-07-21), tommyp007 (09-06-21)
Old 09-06-21, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,294 Likes on 2,114 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Strong disagreement. I liked the Sonic guy and the smoldering ambiguously gay chemistry between them.

That said, it's a chemistry that can't be duplicated easily and Sonic's new policy of just throwing two random people in the car together is NOT working at all. Bring back.....well, we never found of their names, but you know, the Sonic guys!
I don’t recall which one it was but there was one Sonic commercial with the “Sonic guys” that had just about the best comedic timing I’ve ever seen. They really did play well off each other.

Agreed about the new Sonic ads. They’re pretty terrible. I guess the idea now is “average people eating at Sonic” but they’re all pretty damn annoying. The one where the lady spells “bananas” is about as bad as they get.
Old 09-06-21, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

That dreadful Cadillac commercial with the falsetto R&B. Besides the annoying repetition of the ads it's the falsetto singing I can't stand.
Old 09-06-21, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,825 Likes on 1,943 Posts

The problem with the Sonic commercials is that the people in them always get what they order.

Sonic always either gets something wrong, or leaves something out of your order.

A trip to Sonic is like, Isn't there supposed to be cheese on this? There isn't any bacon on my bacon cheeseburger. There are supposed to be two orders of fries here. My "Route 44" drink is just a giant cup full of crushed ice with, like, three drinks of soda in it.
Old 09-06-21, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

That fucking Facebook Groups commercial where the ass-hat at the beginning starts complaining that his ex is dating a Pisces. Why in the fuck would you be concerned about who your ex is dating, especially because of what their fucking astrological sign is?
Old 09-06-21, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 184 Likes on 126 Posts

Minute Maid Fruit Punch ad with the Latino family having a get together where the daughter brings her boyfriend. Being of Latin descent, their might be a couple juice boxes for the toddlers, but every adult a that party would adult would have a beer/adult beverage in their hand, and off brand soda for everyone else, lol.
Old 09-06-21, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,389 Likes on 4,374 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The problem with the Sonic commercials is that the people in them always get what they order.
The main problem with the Sonic ads is there’s never a compelling reason why people are eating in their cars. This isn’t the 50s. They’re not driving anywhere. It seems like a distinct drawback compared to any other fast food restaurant. You should either not mention it or explain why you would want to do that. Why are people eating food in their parked cars? It never made any sense to me and if I were marketing for Sonic that is the one thing I would focus on : “You’ll love eating inside your car because (reason).”
Old 09-07-21, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 569 Likes on 418 Posts

Sonic always either gets something wrong, or leaves something out of your order.

A trip to Sonic is like, Isn't there supposed to be cheese on this? There isn't any bacon on my bacon cheeseburger. There are supposed to be two orders of fries here. My "Route 44" drink is just a giant cup full of crushed ice with, like, three drinks of soda in it.
I eat Sonic for lunch probably once or twice a month for the last few years and never have had any problems with my order.
Old 09-07-21, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 616 Likes on 443 Posts

Sonic doesn’t have an eat in option. It’s either drive through or order from the parking spot and they bring it to your car and you eat it inside your car.

My wife and I more often then not eat in our car when we order a sandwich or hoagie etc.

It’s more comfortable then sitting in a plastic chair in a noisy shop and we can turn the radio on or listen to whatever we were listening to before.

Decker. Don’t agree with that take.
Old 09-07-21, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Sonic doesn’t have an eat in option. It’s either drive through or order from the parking spot and they bring it to your car and you eat it inside your car.

My wife and I more often then not eat in our car when we order a sandwich or hoagie etc.

It’s more comfortable then sitting in a plastic chair in a noisy shop and we can turn the radio on or listen to whatever we were listening to before.
Where I live: Riverside, California is actually the home of the first Sonic Drive-In with an eat-in option. They still deliver to your table or booth on roller skates. However, you can park, go inside and order at a counter.

My only complaint is the Sonic Radio music is loud inside because it is the same volume as outside. It makes it hard to hear or have a conversation.
Old 09-07-21, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,908 Likes on 1,273 Posts

"Y'all look SO GOOD out there, Peloton!"

Urge to kill ... rising.
The following users liked this post:
TheMovieman (09-07-21)
Old 09-07-21, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The main problem with the Sonic ads is there’s never a compelling reason why people are eating in their cars. This isn’t the 50s. They’re not driving anywhere. It seems like a distinct drawback compared to any other fast food restaurant. You should either not mention it or explain why you would want to do that. Why are people eating food in their parked cars? It never made any sense to me and if I were marketing for Sonic that is the one thing I would focus on : “You’ll love eating inside your car because (reason).”
Sonic is, literally, a drive in restaurant. Like something out of the 1950s or 1960s. You pull into a spot, there's a menu and speaker, you place your order, and a "car hop" brings your order out to your car. Though some newer ones have a drive-thru, the "drive-in" aspect seems to be a big part of their image. I'm not aware of any that have any kind of "dine-in" option, though most of them have a few picnic tables in the front.

You either sit in your car and eat your food, or drive off and eat it at home or find a picnic table in a park or something. Which, depending on your location, will mean your food gets soggy and cold by the time you're ready to eat it.

The nostalgia factor seems to be a large part of the franchise's appeal. When I was younger, they used to have old music from the 1950s and 1960s blaring over the speakers.

Maybe there aren't a lot of Sonics in Nevada, but I grew up with them all around me, so the people in sitting in their cars and eating their meals in the commercials doesn't seem strange at all. It's just what you do when you go there.

Old 09-07-21, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 242 Likes on 175 Posts

Anything with Shaq, can't stand him.
Old 09-07-21, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,581 Posts

Don't they also still have rollerskates on their servers at Sonics? Or did they do away with that?
Old 09-07-21, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dom56
Anything with Shaq, can't stand him.
“The General” auto insurance ads in general. They’re at the point where they’re pointing out how their commercials have been so shitty over the years that it’s cost them business. When your commercial has to explain why your commercials have historically made people think your product was a cheap scam, you know you’re in trouble.

That being said, the commercial where Shaq says his skunk is almost done makes me chuckle.
Old 09-07-21, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Don't they also still have rollerskates on their servers at Sonics? Or did they do away with that?
I haven't seen that in years and years.
Old 09-07-21, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can remember they did roller skates on certain days, like once or twice a year, but I don't recall it being a regular thing. But they either haven't done that in last ten years or so, or if they did, I didn't hear about it.
Old 09-07-21, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts

Sonic by me has a patio area to eat outside. It even has a dedicated order box. Only issue I've had is when the wind might kick in.
Old 09-07-21, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can remember they did roller skates on certain days, like once or twice a year, but I don't recall it being a regular thing. But they either haven't done that in last ten years or so, or if they did, I didn't hear about it.
The last I heard Sonic allowed their servers to wear roller skates if they wanted to but they weren’t required. I guess over time, finding servers who could skate well enough became harder and harder to find until they were gone completely. The last server on skates I saw was over 10 years ago. Of course, it’s probably been a good 5 or 6 years since I’ve been to a Sonic.

I’ve always really liked their drinks and shakes but I think their food tastes like plastic.
Old 09-07-21, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 184 Likes on 126 Posts

Is there really any confusion about eating AT a Sonic? I grew up with them and remember when they would actually hook the tray onto your door. I mean, it's called Sonic Drive-In. If we're in a rush we take our food home, but we often just sit and chill in the car and eat our food (unless it's a footling chili cheese dog, that's just asking for trouble, lol )
Old 09-07-21, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

The 5-6 times I've been there in the past couple months, I have seen servers wearing rollerskates.

As for orders, never had anything wrong. Only thing I like on the menu has been the crave burger, not a fan of the fries or onion rings.
Old 09-08-21, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,581 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
Is there really any confusion about eating AT a Sonic? I grew up with them and remember when they would actually hook the tray onto your door. I mean, it's called Sonic Drive-In. If we're in a rush we take our food home, but we often just sit and chill in the car and eat our food (unless it's a footling chili cheese dog, that's just asking for trouble, lol )
There are lots of places that don't have a Sonics, or only have like one or two (heck, the Los Angeles Area only has like one I think).

I remember going to a Sonics in Vegas for the first time and opening the door to the kitchen by accident because I thought that's where you order the food.
Old 09-08-21, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

They are T.J. Jagodowski and Peter Grosz. Both Second City Players.

My favorite commercial of theirs.
https://ispot.tv/a/AZzJ
Old 09-08-21, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 367 Likes on 280 Posts

I hate the "Zillow - me, me, me..." ads. Instant mute button
Old 09-09-21, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

I couldn't find the ad on YouTube to embed, but you can find it here: https://www.ispot.tv/ad/tIG4/xfinity...ng-amy-poehler

Two friends are helping Jess move while Jess just sits in a chair, relaxing on her phone. I'd beat Jess's ass up if I were her friend doing all the heavy lifting.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.