TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-16, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

I'm glad to see Rally's has apparently done away with Mr. Bag. Unbelievably grating.

Now I'd like to see an end to the insipid Jeep commercials with the guy repeating "4 by 4 by this...4 by 4 by that...4 by 4 the other thing..." over and over. If only the ad companies knew all the people out here who absolutely LOATHE all things repetitive.
Old 08-05-16, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 749 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
I'm annoyed by the current Burger King ads that tout their "2 Whopper meals for $10" deal. Every other fast food place is offering a $4 or $5 deal and I'm told it's a successful strategy (and, of course, that's why everybody is offering them). This almost feels like there was a meeting where someone said, "If people think $5 is a good deal, then let's see if they think $10 is an even better deal!" Mind you, it's two $5 meals. It's a petty thing, sure, but I just feel like they're trying to play the audience for suckers and it bugs me.
Burger King does have a $4 meal, but it doesn't include the Whopper. But none of the other chains $4 or $5 meals include their signature burger either.

http://www.bk.com/menu-item/5-4-deal
Old 08-05-16, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Burger King does have a $4 meal, but it doesn't include the Whopper. But none of the other chains $4 or $5 meals include their signature burger either.

http://www.bk.com/menu-item/5-4-deal
But that's not what they're trying to sell you in the commercial. They want you to buy 2 $5 meals for $10 as if that's a "deal". And, frankly, though I'm sure it doesn't count in this case, I'm always getting very generous coupons in the mail from BK, and there's usually a couple giving me BOGOs on Whoppers and Whopper Jrs. Of course, I can't afford to eat fast food every day.
Old 08-05-16, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 749 Likes on 370 Posts

2 Whopper meals for 10 dollars is a deal if you're not eating by yourself.
Old 08-05-16, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,956 Likes on 1,514 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
I'm annoyed by the current Burger King ads that tout their "2 Whopper meals for $10" deal. Every other fast food place is offering a $4 or $5 deal and I'm told it's a successful strategy (and, of course, that's why everybody is offering them). This almost feels like there was a meeting where someone said, "If people think $5 is a good deal, then let's see if they think $10 is an even better deal!" Mind you, it's two $5 meals. It's a petty thing, sure, but I just feel like they're trying to play the audience for suckers and it bugs me.
Still much better than their hot dog commercial. Ugh.

And the whopper meal thing got me to buy a whopper for the first time in like a decade or so, so it worked.
Old 08-09-16, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I am sure it's been mentioned but any Liberty Mutual insurance commercial.
Old 08-10-16, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Is your life so sad and cynical that you can't comprehend someone could possibly be giving you a genuine, personable greeting? Just respond in kind, do your banking business, and get the fuck on with your pathetic life, you unbelievable twat. I swear to fuck, if someone came in and started talking to me like that after I've been nothing but friendly with them, I'd tell them to go cower in a dark corner and eat their own ass.

Old 08-10-16, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Please watch this and tell me you don't want to stomp on the face of everyone in it.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5BmNnea_DnQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-10-16, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Axeramm
I am sure it's been mentioned but any Liberty Mutual insurance commercial.
Agreed. That stupid frumpy chick going on about her car "Brad" needs to go away now. It feels like they've been running that spot for years.
Old 08-10-16, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Infidel
Is your life so sad and cynical that you can't comprehend someone could possibly be giving you a genuine, personable greeting? Just respond in kind, do your banking business, and get the fuck on with your pathetic life, you unbelievable twat. I swear to fuck, if someone came in and started talking to me like that after I've been nothing but friendly with them, I'd tell them to go cower in a dark corner and eat their own ass.

What a dumb fucking spot. I'm surprised I haven't see that yet. I wonder if that's the commercial BMO got for free by paying for 4 others or something.

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle
Please watch this and tell me you don't want to stomp on the face of everyone in it.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5BmNnea_DnQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Good fucking Christ. I am glad I don't recall being subjected to that back then. Not only would I never buy a Mitsubishi after seeing that, I'm pretty sure I would ram any Lancer I saw on the road.
Old 08-24-16, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

My latest hatred is the Charter Spectrum commercial with the guy beatboxing.
Old 08-24-16, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Agreed. That stupid frumpy chick going on about her car "Brad" needs to go away now. It feels like they've been running that spot for years.
Add me to the list of haters of those stupid adverts. That Brad one pisses me off. The line delivery of that pedantic girl makes me want to hit her in the face with a shovel. Just annoying as fuck.

Oh, and I hate those adverts for some cash quick company where all the people sing some shit about needing cash now. Whoever comes up with the ideas for these things and then the person green lighting them have no clue.
Old 08-24-16, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by shizawn
The worst part of those Bon Jovi commercials is the his look towards the camera at the very end of the song. Creeps me the fuck out.
He looks seriously pissed off at the end of them. Seems a grumpy fuck though in real life.
Old 08-24-16, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,216 Likes on 2,075 Posts

"We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike. We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike."
Old 08-24-16, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

This ad has been on for over a year now, repeatedly, and it still annoys me.
Old 08-24-16, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Who ever narrates the Mazda commercials needs his nuts cutoff and shoved in his mouth. The ost condescending and patronizing tone ever. "Midnight run for tacos al pastor"....fucking douche bag.

Also, there's some new Walmart back to school commercial with kids singing Whitesnake "Here I Go Again" - not cute, just fucking annoying.
Old 08-24-16, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

You may hate all these commercials, but the fact that you remember them, and are talking about them, make them a success.
Old 08-24-16, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,956 Likes on 1,514 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
You may hate all these commercials, but the fact that you remember them, and are talking about them, make them a success.
Depends. Sometimes commercials are memorable but nobody can remember what the product is. Sometimes commercials are so hated they make you hate the product. I know visibility is everything but that still seems like negatives.

On the other side of the coin, I appreciate Draft Kings taking a shot at themselves with their newest ad, where they all but admit they went overboard with the commercials last year.
Old 08-24-16, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There was a series of Sprint(?) commercials in the late 90s or early 00s. They featured a smarmy bitch face Sprint employee talking directly to the camera. They were trying to take business from AT&T, so every ad featured Smarmy Bitch Face talking TO AT&T or to the audience ABOUT AT&T.

I can't find anything online. And it's not the ones with Candice Bergen. I sear this campaign went on for two years. A lot of ad campaigns that over stay their welcome do so after a really good initial commercial (like the Taco Bell chihuahua). These always stuck out to me because they were so terrible, but the company just kept going with it.

It may not have been Sprint. But I feel like I have an innate hatred for Sprint, and I'm pretty sure this ad campaign is the reason.
Old 08-24-16, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep they make me remember not to patronize the companies subject me to their shitty commercials.
Old 08-24-16, 11:36 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
"We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike. We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike."
Didn't particularly cared for the tone, but the message is actually pretty powerful so I gave it a pass.
Old 08-25-16, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,228 Likes on 4,250 Posts

Originally Posted by big e
The GE commercials where the hipster developer is trying to explain to his friends/family what he does at GE and they're all acting clueless. Good god do I hate those. They make GE seem like they don't even know what their people do.
The ones they ran during the Olympics were especially bad. The pretty girl who builds jet engines (yeah, because hot girls often take jobs manufacturing heavy machinery) who over-explains her job to her borderline-retarded family.

They're obsessed with teaching us that GE is a digital company and an industrial company. Okay, but what am I supposed to do with that information? I don't know why that information would help me in any meaningful way. Do they want me to buy their stock or something? Should I be shopping for a new jet engine?
Besides Jack Donaghy on 30 Rock did a much better job explaining what GE did than these idiots ever could.

Last edited by Decker; 08-25-16 at 12:15 AM.
Old 08-25-16, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep they make me remember not to patronize the companies subject me to their shitty commercials.
I remember them alright. It certainly isn't going to make me do business with them though. It's the opposite. If a Liberty Mutual rep called me about car insurance I'd hang up on them. Oh, I remember them alright.
Old 08-26-16, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

Who ever narrates the Mazda commercials needs his nuts cutoff and shoved in his mouth. The ost condescending and patronizing tone ever. "Midnight run for tacos al pastor"....fucking douche bag.
I believe it's Aaron Paul, of Breaking Bad fame. They even made a reference to it in S3 of Bojack Horseman.
Old 08-29-16, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle
There was a series of Sprint(?) commercials in the late 90s or early 00s. They featured a smarmy bitch face Sprint employee talking directly to the camera. They were trying to take business from AT&T, so every ad featured Smarmy Bitch Face talking TO AT&T or to the audience ABOUT AT&T.

I can't find anything online. And it's not the ones with Candice Bergen. I sear this campaign went on for two years. A lot of ad campaigns that over stay their welcome do so after a really good initial commercial (like the Taco Bell chihuahua). These always stuck out to me because they were so terrible, but the company just kept going with it.

It may not have been Sprint. But I feel like I have an innate hatred for Sprint, and I'm pretty sure this ad campaign is the reason.
Are you talking about the MCI commercials?
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/a3vgb37N3LA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.