TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

Old 08-04-16, 11:27 PM
  #351  
DVD Talk Legend
 
The Infidel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Posts: 11,433
Re: Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

I'm glad to see Rally's has apparently done away with Mr. Bag. Unbelievably grating.

Now I'd like to see an end to the insipid Jeep commercials with the guy repeating "4 by 4 by this...4 by 4 by that...4 by 4 the other thing..." over and over. If only the ad companies knew all the people out here who absolutely LOATHE all things repetitive.
The Infidel is offline  
Old 08-05-16, 01:30 AM
  #352  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Obi-Wan Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 10,737
Re: Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

Originally Posted by DWilson View Post
I'm annoyed by the current Burger King ads that tout their "2 Whopper meals for $10" deal. Every other fast food place is offering a $4 or $5 deal and I'm told it's a successful strategy (and, of course, that's why everybody is offering them). This almost feels like there was a meeting where someone said, "If people think $5 is a good deal, then let's see if they think $10 is an even better deal!" Mind you, it's two $5 meals. It's a petty thing, sure, but I just feel like they're trying to play the audience for suckers and it bugs me.
Burger King does have a $4 meal, but it doesn't include the Whopper. But none of the other chains $4 or $5 meals include their signature burger either.

http://www.bk.com/menu-item/5-4-deal
Obi-Wan Jabroni is offline  
Old 08-05-16, 07:41 AM
  #353  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 3,477
Re: Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
Burger King does have a $4 meal, but it doesn't include the Whopper. But none of the other chains $4 or $5 meals include their signature burger either.

http://www.bk.com/menu-item/5-4-deal
But that's not what they're trying to sell you in the commercial. They want you to buy 2 $5 meals for $10 as if that's a "deal". And, frankly, though I'm sure it doesn't count in this case, I'm always getting very generous coupons in the mail from BK, and there's usually a couple giving me BOGOs on Whoppers and Whopper Jrs. Of course, I can't afford to eat fast food every day.
DWilson is offline  
Old 08-05-16, 07:58 AM
  #354  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Obi-Wan Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 10,737
Re: Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

2 Whopper meals for 10 dollars is a deal if you're not eating by yourself.
Obi-Wan Jabroni is offline  
Old 08-05-16, 03:11 PM
  #355  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 27,866
Re: Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

Originally Posted by DWilson View Post
I'm annoyed by the current Burger King ads that tout their "2 Whopper meals for $10" deal. Every other fast food place is offering a $4 or $5 deal and I'm told it's a successful strategy (and, of course, that's why everybody is offering them). This almost feels like there was a meeting where someone said, "If people think $5 is a good deal, then let's see if they think $10 is an even better deal!" Mind you, it's two $5 meals. It's a petty thing, sure, but I just feel like they're trying to play the audience for suckers and it bugs me.
Still much better than their hot dog commercial. Ugh.

And the whopper meal thing got me to buy a whopper for the first time in like a decade or so, so it worked.
fujishig is offline  
Old 08-09-16, 10:25 PM
  #356  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,474
Re: Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

I am sure it's been mentioned but any Liberty Mutual insurance commercial.
Axeramm is offline  
Old 08-10-16, 11:05 AM
  #357  
DVD Talk Legend
 
The Infidel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Posts: 11,433
Re: Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

Is your life so sad and cynical that you can't comprehend someone could possibly be giving you a genuine, personable greeting? Just respond in kind, do your banking business, and get the fuck on with your pathetic life, you unbelievable twat. I swear to fuck, if someone came in and started talking to me like that after I've been nothing but friendly with them, I'd tell them to go cower in a dark corner and eat their own ass.

The Infidel is offline  
Old 08-10-16, 11:59 AM
  #358  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Dr. Mantle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,054
Re: Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

Please watch this and tell me you don't want to stomp on the face of everyone in it.

Dr. Mantle is offline  
Old 08-10-16, 12:14 PM
  #359  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 15,603
Re: Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

Originally Posted by Axeramm View Post
I am sure it's been mentioned but any Liberty Mutual insurance commercial.
Agreed. That stupid frumpy chick going on about her car "Brad" needs to go away now. It feels like they've been running that spot for years.
bunkaroo is offline  
Old 08-10-16, 12:18 PM
  #360  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 15,603
Re: Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

Originally Posted by The Infidel View Post
Is your life so sad and cynical that you can't comprehend someone could possibly be giving you a genuine, personable greeting? Just respond in kind, do your banking business, and get the fuck on with your pathetic life, you unbelievable twat. I swear to fuck, if someone came in and started talking to me like that after I've been nothing but friendly with them, I'd tell them to go cower in a dark corner and eat their own ass.

What a dumb fucking spot. I'm surprised I haven't see that yet. I wonder if that's the commercial BMO got for free by paying for 4 others or something.

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle View Post
Please watch this and tell me you don't want to stomp on the face of everyone in it.

Good fucking Christ. I am glad I don't recall being subjected to that back then. Not only would I never buy a Mitsubishi after seeing that, I'm pretty sure I would ram any Lancer I saw on the road.
bunkaroo is offline  
Old 08-24-16, 01:48 AM
  #361  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Tom Banjo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Auburn, AL
Posts: 3,695
Re: Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

My latest hatred is the Charter Spectrum commercial with the guy beatboxing.
Tom Banjo is offline  
Old 08-24-16, 06:49 AM
  #362  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
james2025a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,087
Re: Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
Agreed. That stupid frumpy chick going on about her car "Brad" needs to go away now. It feels like they've been running that spot for years.
Add me to the list of haters of those stupid adverts. That Brad one pisses me off. The line delivery of that pedantic girl makes me want to hit her in the face with a shovel. Just annoying as fuck.

Oh, and I hate those adverts for some cash quick company where all the people sing some shit about needing cash now. Whoever comes up with the ideas for these things and then the person green lighting them have no clue.
james2025a is offline  
Old 08-24-16, 06:55 AM
  #363  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
james2025a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,087
Re: Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

Originally Posted by shizawn View Post
The worst part of those Bon Jovi commercials is the his look towards the camera at the very end of the song. Creeps me the fuck out.
He looks seriously pissed off at the end of them. Seems a grumpy fuck though in real life.
james2025a is offline  
Old 08-24-16, 09:07 AM
  #364  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 14,036
Re: Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

"We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike. We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike."
GoldenJCJ is offline  
Old 08-24-16, 09:31 AM
  #365  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 39,117
Re: Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE



This ad has been on for over a year now, repeatedly, and it still annoys me.
RichC2 is online now  
Old 08-24-16, 11:04 AM
  #366  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 15,603
Re: Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

Who ever narrates the Mazda commercials needs his nuts cutoff and shoved in his mouth. The ost condescending and patronizing tone ever. "Midnight run for tacos al pastor"....fucking douche bag.

Also, there's some new Walmart back to school commercial with kids singing Whitesnake "Here I Go Again" - not cute, just fucking annoying.
bunkaroo is offline  
Old 08-24-16, 12:37 PM
  #367  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,089
Re: Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

You may hate all these commercials, but the fact that you remember them, and are talking about them, make them a success.
Double_Oh_7 is offline  
Old 08-24-16, 10:33 PM
  #368  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 27,866
Re: Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 View Post
You may hate all these commercials, but the fact that you remember them, and are talking about them, make them a success.
Depends. Sometimes commercials are memorable but nobody can remember what the product is. Sometimes commercials are so hated they make you hate the product. I know visibility is everything but that still seems like negatives.

On the other side of the coin, I appreciate Draft Kings taking a shot at themselves with their newest ad, where they all but admit they went overboard with the commercials last year.
fujishig is offline  
Old 08-24-16, 11:33 PM
  #369  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Dr. Mantle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,054
Re: Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

There was a series of Sprint(?) commercials in the late 90s or early 00s. They featured a smarmy bitch face Sprint employee talking directly to the camera. They were trying to take business from AT&T, so every ad featured Smarmy Bitch Face talking TO AT&T or to the audience ABOUT AT&T.

I can't find anything online. And it's not the ones with Candice Bergen. I sear this campaign went on for two years. A lot of ad campaigns that over stay their welcome do so after a really good initial commercial (like the Taco Bell chihuahua). These always stuck out to me because they were so terrible, but the company just kept going with it.

It may not have been Sprint. But I feel like I have an innate hatred for Sprint, and I'm pretty sure this ad campaign is the reason.
Dr. Mantle is offline  
Old 08-25-16, 12:27 AM
  #370  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 15,603
Re: Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 View Post
You may hate all these commercials, but the fact that you remember them, and are talking about them, make them a success.
Yep they make me remember not to patronize the companies subject me to their shitty commercials.
bunkaroo is offline  
Old 08-25-16, 12:36 AM
  #371  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,876
Re: Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
"We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike. We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike."
Didn't particularly cared for the tone, but the message is actually pretty powerful so I gave it a pass.
SuperJim88 is offline  
Old 08-25-16, 01:10 AM
  #372  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 44,411
Re: Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

Originally Posted by big e View Post
The GE commercials where the hipster developer is trying to explain to his friends/family what he does at GE and they're all acting clueless. Good god do I hate those. They make GE seem like they don't even know what their people do.
The ones they ran during the Olympics were especially bad. The pretty girl who builds jet engines (yeah, because hot girls often take jobs manufacturing heavy machinery) who over-explains her job to her borderline-retarded family.

They're obsessed with teaching us that GE is a digital company and an industrial company. Okay, but what am I supposed to do with that information? I don't know why that information would help me in any meaningful way. Do they want me to buy their stock or something? Should I be shopping for a new jet engine?
Besides Jack Donaghy on 30 Rock did a much better job explaining what GE did than these idiots ever could.

Last edited by Decker; 08-25-16 at 01:15 AM.
Decker is offline  
Old 08-25-16, 06:39 AM
  #373  
DVD Talk Legend
 
JimRochester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Rochester, NY. USA
Posts: 18,008
Re: Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 View Post
You may hate all these commercials, but the fact that you remember them, and are talking about them, make them a success.
Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
Yep they make me remember not to patronize the companies subject me to their shitty commercials.
I remember them alright. It certainly isn't going to make me do business with them though. It's the opposite. If a Liberty Mutual rep called me about car insurance I'd hang up on them. Oh, I remember them alright.
JimRochester is offline  
Old 08-26-16, 05:40 PM
  #374  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Vipper II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Abingdon, MD
Posts: 3,177
Re: Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
Who ever narrates the Mazda commercials needs his nuts cutoff and shoved in his mouth. The ost condescending and patronizing tone ever. "Midnight run for tacos al pastor"....fucking douche bag.
I believe it's Aaron Paul, of Breaking Bad fame. They even made a reference to it in S3 of Bojack Horseman.
Vipper II is offline  
Old 08-29-16, 01:05 PM
  #375  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Upright, in a cool, dry place
Posts: 4,233
Re: Commercials you absolutely f&*$ing HATE

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle View Post
There was a series of Sprint(?) commercials in the late 90s or early 00s. They featured a smarmy bitch face Sprint employee talking directly to the camera. They were trying to take business from AT&T, so every ad featured Smarmy Bitch Face talking TO AT&T or to the audience ABOUT AT&T.

I can't find anything online. And it's not the ones with Candice Bergen. I sear this campaign went on for two years. A lot of ad campaigns that over stay their welcome do so after a really good initial commercial (like the Taco Bell chihuahua). These always stuck out to me because they were so terrible, but the company just kept going with it.

It may not have been Sprint. But I feel like I have an innate hatred for Sprint, and I'm pretty sure this ad campaign is the reason.
Are you talking about the MCI commercials?
Quatermass is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.