TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Marvel's Daredevil (Netflix) - Season 1 Discussion Thread - Premieres 4/10/15

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-15, 02:26 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Marvel's Daredevil (Netflix) - Season 1 Thread - Premieres 4/10/15

Originally Posted by slop101
Yeah, like a month ago - they've all moved on.
This made me laugh.
Old 04-30-15, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Don't crucify me if this is a stupid question, please. It's just something I've been wondering since starting the show: with this taking place in New York and having all the shots of the skyline, shouldn't the Avengers tower have been visible? I can't remember ever seeing it during the season.

I'm sure there are several reasons for it not being in there, but I was curious if it had ever been addressed.
Old 04-30-15, 05:00 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dunno. That motion teaser thing showed it. The show didn't.
Old 04-30-15, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
You misread that. That was her developing feelings for Matt. Kinda weird since, although there was an initial attraction when she first stayed at his place (first episode), the writers pushed really hard for a thing between her and Foggy. I guess they are setting up a tedious love triangle for season 2.
Originally Posted by Navinabob
I agree with this assessment. The love-triangle is a call back to the original comic book where she was first introduced.
Thanks. I weighed both options, but it seemed more like a recognizing of his identity than a love thing. If that's what they were going for, it was kind of weird to tack it on in the last two minutes of the last episode of the season.
Old 04-30-15, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
Don't crucify me if this is a stupid question, please. It's just something I've been wondering since starting the show: with this taking place in New York and having all the shots of the skyline, shouldn't the Avengers tower have been visible? I can't remember ever seeing it during the season.

I'm sure there are several reasons for it not being in there, but I was curious if it had ever been addressed.
Wow, I didn't even think about that. I remember someone throwing out a reference to Thor and Iron Man in one episode, but didn't think to look for anything visual from that part of the MCU.
Old 04-30-15, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, ok, at least I'm not crazy.

There were quite a few references to the Avengers (the individual team members and the events from the movie) which I thought was nice. It was an interesting way to bring DD into that universe without needing the core members to make an appearance.
Old 04-30-15, 11:29 PM
Banned

Received 377 Likes on 296 Posts

Well, it takes place in Hell's Kitchen and I can only guess the Avenger's Tower is not visible from there. (only a guess)
Old 05-01-15, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Eric F
Well, it takes place in Hell's Kitchen and I can only guess the Avenger's Tower is not visible from there. (only a guess)
Right, but there are plenty of shots featuring the New York skyline in the background, so I would expect to see it then maybe. Again, not a big deal, just one nitpick/observation of an otherwise really excellent show.
Old 05-20-15, 07:18 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 594 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Good stuff. Marvel's heaviest show yet. I couldn't binge watch this one. Took a few weeks.

Also: I got tired of hearing everyone deliver their lines like they're on the edge of tears.
This. So very much this. I enjoyed the show, but could not binge watch because everyone was so fucking serious all the time.

I loved Donofrio's Kingpin, he was the highlight of the season.
Old 05-31-15, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I am not familiar with the comics (however, I have read several of them).

I did not like the TV adaptation. One of the things I look for in a series is whether the show universe can capture me, make me feel (for the duration of a show) like I could be part of the universe. This show does not have that. It just seems fake, even when watching a show. The characters don't seem real. Emotions seem forced (in terms of writing). Like
Spoiler:
When the team gets all broken up with tears about the old tenant dying who they have know only for a few weeks

There is no supporting universe around the two supporting characters. No friends. And they come across as incredibly naive.

The fight choreography is great though.
Old 06-01-15, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wearetheborg

I did not like the TV adaptation. One of the things I look for in a series is whether the show universe can capture me, make me feel (for the duration of a show) like I could be part of the universe. This show does not have that. It just seems fake, even when watching a show. The characters don't seem real. Emotions seem forced (in terms of writing). Like
Spoiler:
When the team gets all broken up with tears about the old tenant dying who they have know only for a few weeks

There is no supporting universe around the two supporting characters. No friends. And they come across as incredibly naive.

Is there a comic-book show you do like? I'm trying to see what you are comparing it to, because most people don't share your opinion. If I knew what your tent-pole show was I could maybe better understand where you are coming from.
Old 06-01-15, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Spoiler:

Regarding your spoiler,

Spoiler:
Really?! You wouldn't cry if a sweet elderly woman that was depending on you for help was brutally murdered?
Old 06-02-15, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Navinabob
Is there a comic-book show you do like? I'm trying to see what you are comparing it to, because most people don't share your opinion. If I knew what your tent-pole show was I could maybe better understand where you are coming from.
I am a huge fan of Buffy/Angel, but the comics came after the shows, so perhaps these might not qualify.

I have liked many episodes of Smallville. I like Arrow a little bit better than Daredevil. Both these shows have stinker episodes which are worse than the worst Daredevil episodes, but the better ones create a universe which I can lose myself in while a show is on.

Another barometer I have is whether I will rewatch the show later on. I have rewatched many smallville episodes (mainly when Lex and Chloe were at their peaks). I have no desire to revisit Daredevil S1.
Old 06-02-15, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Regarding your spoiler,

Spoiler:
Really?! You wouldn't cry if a sweet elderly woman that was depending on you for help was brutally murdered?

Spoiler:
Someone that I just came to know a few weeks before? No.

The situation is made worse by the fact that the lady was living in a rent controlled place, and was unwilling to move even when offered money. I wasn't on her side.
Old 06-02-15, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Spoiler:

The situation is made worse by the fact that the lady was living in a rent controlled place, and was unwilling to move even when offered money. I wasn't on her side.
you truly are the Borg.
Old 06-02-15, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a huge fan of Buffy/Angel, but the comics came after the shows, so perhaps these might not qualify.

I have liked many episodes of Smallville. I like Arrow a little bit better than Daredevil. Both these shows have stinker episodes which are worse than the worst Daredevil episodes, but the better ones create a universe which I can lose myself in while a show is on.

Another barometer I have is whether I will rewatch the show later on. I have rewatched many smallville episodes (mainly when Lex and Chloe were at their peaks). I have no desire to revisit Daredevil S1.
I had a lot of trouble re-watching Smallville and actually enjoyed Daredevil more the second time I watched it. I wonder if it was maybe the shorter Daredevil run that hurt it in your eyes. Like it didn't have a chance to weave in more layers to the characters. Smallville wasn't really a good show. It had horrible writing and generally crappy acting, but it was heavy in back-story. You literally saw Clark and the gang grow up you so were invested in it. I wonder if that's the big difference.
Old 06-02-15, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

Spoiler:

If I was living in a rent controlled place in NYC, I would probably need an absurd amount of money to consider moving. Any other place would probably be 10x as much.
Old 06-02-15, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
If I was living in a rent controlled place in NYC, I would probably need an absurd amount of money to consider moving. Any other place would probably be 10x as much.

But you would consider it. This woman was like "waaaah ... I just want to stay in my home, its not about the money ... waaah".
Old 06-02-15, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But you would consider it. This woman was like "waaaah ... I just want to stay in my home, its not about the money ... waaah".
True, but I'm in my 30s and I'm a little more used to change. If Oreo changes their packaging my grandma will complain about it for months.
Old 06-03-15, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
If Oreo changes their packaging my grandma will complain about it for months.
That doesn't make Orio evil for changing the packaging. Lawyers trying to prevent the packaging change instead of knocking some sense into your Grandma would be idiotic.

The woman and a small group of people were standing in the way of huge construction project which would have brought jobs and (presumably) improved the locality. They were choosing instead to block all that and stay in a run down building because of rent control and stubbornness. I'm not sure who the bad guy is here.
Old 06-03-15, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That doesn't make Orio evil for changing the packaging. Lawyers trying to prevent the packaging change instead of knocking some sense into your Grandma would be idiotic.

The woman and a small group of people were standing in the way of huge construction project which would have brought jobs and (presumably) improved the locality. They were choosing instead to block all that and stay in a run down building because of rent control and stubbornness. I'm not sure who the bad guy is here.
The bad guy is the group who murdered an old lady. When they were just not repairing her apartment/smashing it up so it was hard to live there, they were arguably just negligent/malicious.

Once you move into old lady murdering, like Oreo did with my grandma, it's less of a grey area.
Old 06-03-15, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

About half way through the season afrwe taking a break. Might as well mention I'm a huge Daredevil fan also. So far I like the series, but I'm not in love with it. Charlie Cox just doesn't work for me as Matt Murdock. The guy who plays Foggy is OK and Debrah Woll is pretty to look at but not much more. Who really steals the show for me is Vincent as Kingpin.

Right now I just think the show is almost too serious. Yes, DD is a dark character but I was hoping for a tone that was more similar to something like Banshee. I will say though that a Punisher series done this way would be so amazing. I just don't think it works entirely for DD.
Old 06-03-15, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by The Infidel
Just finished bingeing the first season on Netflix. One question about the very last scene in the last episode:

Spoiler:
Did Murdock say or do something that made Karen realize he's Daredevil? That look on her face and the closeup after he extended his hand definitely looked like a "lightbulb" moment.

you are not alone.. I thought the same thing as you did.

However - I then thought maybe it was her letting go of all her pent up emotions and angst.
Old 06-03-15, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 184 Posts

People around here won't even leave their homes for a week when there's a forest fire 10 feet from their front door. "This is my home, and I'm not leaving. Death be damned."

I'm about 5 episodes in, and my wife and I like it so far. It's pretty brutal and dark. Dark, as in there could be a daytime shot or two.
Old 06-03-15, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 882 Posts

I will admit I was a little confused ... If being lawyers is their night job, what do they do during the day?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.