Reload this Page >

Shows you're surprised are still on?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-25-15, 08:54 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Whether you think it is absurd that what you think is a stupid show is still on or because of lifespan...

The Mindy Project...I think they jumped the shark with the whole baby story.
The Goldbergs...just hate it every time I witness even a little bit.
2 Broke Girls...seems like same jokes over and over.
Old 02-25-15, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Shows you're surprised are still on?

Two and a Half Men. I know it just ended, but surprised it continued for as long as it did. Haven't watched it since Charlie Sheen was on it. And even then I bailed well before he left.
Old 02-25-15, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Survivor:
Would have never guessed when I started watching it in the Thailand season that this thing would last 30 seasons. I think I've seen 23 or 24 of the 29 seasons that have aired.

The Amazing Race:
Same thoughts heading into season 26. I've seen every season including the awful family edition.

This is combined 56 seasons of reality competition over the last 15 years!! That's a lot of TV. 2 cycles per year is probably a chore for most to keep up with.
Old 02-25-15, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two and Half Men
Bones
NCIS shows
Law and Order:SVU
Old 02-25-15, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by writer106 View Post
Two and Half Men
Bones
NCIS shows
Law and Order:SVU
They get good ratings and have very charismatic lead actors. Mark Harmon, Chris O'Donnell, LL Cool J and now Scott Bakula are all very likeable and have fans. I think the only way the original NCIS ends is if Mark Harmon decides to retire from acting.

I am amazed that Law and Order: SVU is going into it's 17th season this Fall. That's pretty freaking amazing, especially after losing one of the main lead actors 3 seasons ago.
Old 02-25-15, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
They get good ratings and have very charismatic lead actors. Mark Harmon, Chris O'Donnell, LL Cool J and now Scott Bakula are all very likeable and have fans. I think the only way the original NCIS ends is if Mark Harmon decides to retire from acting.

I am amazed that Law and Order: SVU is going into it's 17th season this Fall. That's pretty freaking amazing, especially after losing one of the main lead actors 3 seasons ago.

I agree the leads are likable and I know NCIS gets around 11 million viewers per episodes. But I wonder when more people will stop watching procedural type shows.
Old 02-25-15, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

(scripted shows only) There are plenty of shows I know deserve death without needing to watch them, but sticking to ones I have actually seen:

Under the Dome - Yes, even though it is so comically awful that it has become its own new programming genre
The Last Ship - The show is a 42-minute cliché and will have lapped through every known TV show trope at least three times before the end of season two
All Procedural Dramas - OK I lied, I don't watch any of these and frankly don't understand why anyone else not eligible for penalty-free withdrawals from retirement accounts would either
Old 02-25-15, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Needle View Post
(scripted shows only) There are plenty of shows I know deserve death without needing to watch them, but sticking to ones I have actually seen:

Under the Dome - Yes, even though it is so comically awful that it has become its own new programming genre
The Last Ship - The show is a 42-minute cliché and will have lapped through every known TV show trope at least three times before the end of season two
All Procedural Dramas - OK I lied, I don't watch any of these and frankly don't understand why anyone else not eligible for penalty-free withdrawals from retirement accounts would either
I used to like them years ago. But over time, I got more into serialized shows and I have known others who are the same way.
Old 02-25-15, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I agree the leads are likable and I know NCIS gets around 11 million viewers per episodes. But I wonder when more people will stop watching procedural type shows.
The 3 NCIS shows get almost 50M viewers per week combined. That's a huge audience. The average network TV viewer prefers self contained procedural dramas over heavily serialized shows. Most new serialized shows fail. Procedurals are relatively easy to follow and people don't need to watch them in order. And procedural dramas sell better to international networks because of what I just mentioned. Sleepy Hollow turning into a more heavily serialized show has been blamed for it's 2nd season failure. I read comments on it's Facebook page from people who think the show is too confusing.

I just hate it when some people make snarky comments saying that only old farts watch them. Yes, most of them are predictable week to week, but I think a lot of them are still very entertaining even though some have been on many years. The original Hawaii Five-O, which is considered a classic procedural, lasted 12 seasons.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-25-15 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-25-15, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
The original Hawaii Five-O, which is considered a classic procedural, lasted 12 seasons.
When there were three networks with procedurals on the other two. So I sort of understand why people who grew up equating prime time TV with procedurals and their captive grandkids might watch them.
Old 02-25-15, 11:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

(
I really like procedurals. They are like the fast food of TV. They require no investment or thought but are enjoyable every once in a while.
Old 02-25-15, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the shows on CBS.
Old 02-26-15, 02:22 AM

America's Funniest Home Videos

I ran across it a few weeks ago while channel surfing and was shocked that the guide said NEW episode.
Old 02-26-15, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like the NCIS/Castle procedural shows. Nice to be able to get a complete story in one sitting. Of course the characters make the show. Sometimes I don't care about case of the week but enjoy the characters interacting with each other.

Serial shows are also good. However it seems a lot of serial shows don't have enough story for the entire season so the end up being ______ of the week a lot of the time. Side story lines that don't add anything to the larger story.
Old 02-26-15, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
Whether you think it is absurd that what you think is a stupid show is still on or because of lifespan...

The Goldbergs...just hate it every time I witness even a little bit.
You have no soul if you don't like the Goldbergs. Especially after this weeks show.

anyway
Revenge
Mike and Molly
Any show with a Kardashian
Old 02-26-15, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Supernatural - How long has this been running? Ten years? Never watched it, but that's impressive for a genre show.
Old 02-26-15, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But I wonder when more people will stop watching procedural type shows.
Probably never. Even the entertainment medium doesn't matter. There is a reason more (living) people have read James Patterson than Leo Tolstoy. Things don't have to be epic to be entertaining.
Old 02-26-15, 10:38 AM

I grew up on Law & Order and similar procedural shows, and can still enjoy them once in a while (loved Leverage for example), but after experiencing all the serialized shows I have with 10-16 episode seasons, there is no going back.
Old 02-26-15, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Middle
Old 02-26-15, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

NCIS, NCIS LA, CSI, H50. I guess nobody should ever underestimate the power of the AARP viewership!

2 Broke Girls & Mike and Molly. Both had great first seasons and then went to shit. We dropped both long ago.
Old 02-26-15, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Because it's easily digestible entertainment. Easy to follow stories. There's minimal story carry over so there's no need to watch every episode. Most people don't take TV shows as seriously as us around here do so it's not a surprise that those procedurals are so popular.
Old 02-26-15, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by resinrats View Post
Serial shows are also good. However it seems a lot of serial shows don't have enough story for the entire season so the end up being ______ of the week a lot of the time. Side story lines that don't add anything to the larger story.
I think the biggest problem many people have lately is procedurals trying to mix in a little bit of a serial story, then really sucking at it. Nothing wrong with a good procedural, but the ones I listed earlier basically suck these days and it's largely the older crowd that treats them as comfort food keeping them going.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 02-26-15 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-26-15, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
I think the biggest problem many people have lately is procedurals trying to mix in a little bit of a serial story, then really sucking at it. Nothing wrong with a good procedural, but the ones I listed earlier basically suck these days and it's largely the older crowd that treats them as comfort food keeping them going.
I prefer serials, don't mind procedurals, but don't like the hybrids. I'm probably never going to be a religious viewer of a procedural. I'll watch it if it's convenient, but I'm not going to record it or rearrange my schedule if it's not convenient. I don't like being tricked into watching a case-of-the-week procedural by adding in some serial story arc.

The only show that I can think of that was a real successful hybrid was probably The Shield. Vic's strike team & family was a serial, but the plainclothes officers and suits were more of a case-of-the-week procedural. And I watched that show for Vic and the Strike Team. I have nothing against Dutch, but his stuff often seemed like filler. Sometimes it was very good filler, but I wasn't binge watching that show to see what kind of crazy case he'd handle next.
Old 02-26-15, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 View Post
America's Funniest Home Videos

I ran across it a few weeks ago while channel surfing and was shocked that the guide said NEW episode.
My kids love watching AFV on Netflix. I think those episodes are fairly current but it's amazing how much shitty VHS video from 1995 gets shown. Do new episodes incorporate cell phone and other digital video? You'd think the show would explode with that stuff. Maybe brand new ones do.

I'm honestly amazed American Idol is still around. It feels like it's lost any and all cultural relevance it may have once had. Still making money though...I guess that's the answer.
Old 02-26-15, 12:52 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
You have no soul if you don't like the Goldbergs. Especially after this weeks show.
i did enjoy the riff on FBDO. done very well. i will give it that...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.