Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

House of Cards (Netflix) - Season 3 Discussion Thread - Available 2/27/15

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-15, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: House of Cards (Netflix) - Season 3 Discussion Thread - Available 2/27/15

Finished the last two episodes and they reinforced my thoughts from a few days ago even more. My biggest disappointment in the finale was:

Spoiler:
all of the time spent on Doug killing the girl. It seemed to take up much too long of the episode. There was little doubt that the season was going to end with Claire leaving Frank, and even that was pretty boring, but the Doug stuff once again was just awful
Old 03-11-15, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just finished season 3:

Spoiler:
I know a lot of people were disappointed that Frank wasn't scheming and wheeling and dealing as much. I understand that, but I actually enjoyed seeing a guy like Frank have to deal with the restrictions and difficulty that come with being President. He got humbled a lot this season.

I always thought that the previous couple of seasons went a bit over the top when it comes to Frank's involvement in people's death's. I always thought Frank should've been a guy giving an order to get rid of someone, rather than him doing it himself given his position of power.

I thought the Doug stuff was incredibly weak. I wouldn't go so far as to say it ruined the season or completely dragged the story down Kim Bauer-like, but it was close. It felt that they tried to redeem his character and humanity, only to destroy it all again. I guess it's fine if the producers/writers want to suggest that people don't ultimately change much, I just don't think we needed 13 episodes to discover that. To me, Doug was never that interesting of a character, so to see him fighting alcoholism and crying over some young woman--I just didn't care enough. And certainly, when there's a vote in Iowa going on, to devote so much time to Stamper in that finale episode was absurd to me. A lot of that screen time--or at least some of it--could've been devoted to Remy and Jackie.

But I also thought there was a lot of good stuff this season. I enjoyed the political stuff, and Frank trying to get America Works funded. I enjoyed the chess match with Russia too.

One thing I found odd, along with the Stamper stuff, was the guy writing the book about America Works. Around episode 10 or so, he basically tells Frank that if he wants someone else for the job, he's fine with it. He makes it seem like, while he's willing to do it, he's okay with the project getting axed because he understands he might not be the 100% best fit for the job. And either way, he's going to get paid for his work, whether AmWorks is funded or defunded.

But by the end of the season, he's completely distraught at the idea of his book being canned. I didn't get this. He only wrote the prologue. He was BEHIND schedule (the book was supposed to be completed), and he was going to get paid regardless. I could see if, perhaps, he had the whole book finished and the President said thanks but no thanks. But I didn't get his passion and frustration over Frank killing the book--the guy didn't come through when he was supposed to, and the work itself wasn't close to what was expected of him anyway.

Just found it bizarre. Overall, I enjoyed the season though. Just didn't like how it all ended in the finale.
Old 03-14-15, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I finished the season last night and overall enjoyed it. Great production values, laughablly unrealistic politics, not as many campy/shocking scenes as before. Definitely the weakest of the three seasons for reasons mentioned earlier. His rise to power was more interesting than his maintaining it.

I can't help but think that the timeline of the season would've been pushed deeper into the general election had:

Spoiler:
Mendoza not suddenly up and disappeared, unceremoniously explained away by a line of dialogue by Frank. The show had been planting the seeds of him being Frank's only credible GOP rival. With him gone, I assume they decided to reel it in a bit to focus on the primaries.

Presumably this is because Benito Martinez got a role on American Crime. If only he stayed we could've gotten a scene of Frank yelling "MENDOZA!!!" to the heavens after being screwed over by him.

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
BTW, is this the final season, or is it a wait and see?
The creator answers that question in a political manner, of course:

So I now have to ask you the obvious question: I don't think there's been an official announcement yet, but did you write Season 3 with the assumption there'd be a Season 4?

You're absolutely right. There has not been a Season 4 announcement yet.

That's a really good answer to that question.

[laughs]

I think, though, anyone that's come to the end of Season 3 looks at that ending, especially that last scene, and sees another season's worth of drama right away.

Well, by the time you come to the end of Season 3, if we've done our job, you have some questions and probably want them answered. But the world does not know yet if those questions will be answered or not.

Very well done. Very well done.

I write a show that takes place in Washington, for God's sake. I have to know how to deflect a question with some degree of skill.
http://www.indiewire.com/article/hou...son-4-20150306

Now that I'm done with the American version, I think I'll check out the original one. I wasn't really considering watching it, but the description of him in this thread as being an even bigger bastard than Frank has got me intrigued.
Old 03-14-15, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I liked the season but will agree that it didn't have the "fun" factor of the first 2 seasons. However, one of my big worries was that this show was going to start entering Dexter territory with it's storytelling. I actually appreciated having Frank be on the defensive for most of the season and that most things didn't work out for him.
Old 03-16-15, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Finished watching it last night.

Spoiler:
I was kind of hoping that all the time spent on Doug and Frank pissing on the people around him was going to pay off with the season ending with all of them getting behind Dunbar (a character who is the complete antithesis of Frank), and Frank's actions and failures leading him to have his wife run for President. A culmination of a failed experiment and plan - that worked well for him in the past, but in his new position was a recipe for disaster.

However, they quickly painted Dunbar as slimy and unable to win against a lame duck president who was never elected, raided FEMA funds, pardoned political allies, appointed his wife to the UN, and created mid east tensions? WTF? A mannequin with a sign saying "At least I'm not him" would have won.

This would have been realistic and put the character on the ropes - maybe giving us a reason to root for the underdog.

I also agree that the time spent on Doug was a waste - and all the energy he spent finding this person to kill her - when the FBI guy fabricated her death (what better outcome could you want if you were Doug?)... and how did he catch her again?.. the guy has a bum leg, and she could run away from him and the van. The van was a piece of junk - not an off road 4wd truck... one little rut off the road would have grounded the rear wheel drive econoline. She just needed to run off the road, jump over the fence and zig zag through the rough desert. Doug would have been making 3 point turns until he ran out of gas, got stuck, ruptured a tire, fuel or break line, etc.

Now about America Works: As a Democratic president - Frank wanting to get rid of safety nets, social security, etc seems very right wing and conservative... however, using federal funds to create jobs (from both taxes and borrowing) seems very liberal.

Therefore, I could not see Frank standing a chance winning any Democratic nomination or primary with wanting to get rid of Social Security.
Old 03-21-15, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I loved Season 1. I liked Season 2. I was kinda "meh" about Season 3.

I watched Season 1 in a matter of days. It took me longer to watch Season 2. I spaced out Season 3 even longer than Season 2.

I wonder if enjoyment & episode watching rate is a chicken/egg issue. Did I watch Season 1 the fastest because I loved it? Or did I love it because I watched it the fastest? It seems like this is the kind of show where binging hides the flaws and spacing the viewing out exposes them.
Old 03-21-15, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts

Maybe the fact that Fincher was a lot more hands-on with the first season is what made it better?
Old 03-21-15, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

Naw, the seasons have just gotten less interesting as it goes. The House of Cards needs to topple entirely if we're getting another season.
Old 03-21-15, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not enough Frank talking to us this season. Count me as one who could watch a Doug Stamper spinoff. His whacky ways are strangely mesmerizing...
Old 03-22-15, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by dave-o
Not enough Frank talking to us this season.
Agreed. For me that was one of the hooks that drew me in initially. Without those "break the fourth wall" comments it's a traditional political soaper.

Count me as one who could watch a Doug Stamper spinoff. His whacky ways are strangely mesmerizing...
Agreed again.
I think Stamper is a pretty interesting character - in a dangerous, loyal-yet-unpredictable way.

Spoiler:
I found the way we were shown Rachel's death was pretty startling. I mean, I suspected it was coming, to the point when she was in the van talking about moving far away and getting a dog I thought Doug was going to pull a pistol and cap her. But just seeing her head covered in a shovelful dirt was a bit jarring.
I had really hoped she would get away...
Old 03-31-15, 09:10 AM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Finally finished this and have to agree--overall just plain BORING.
As for Doug,
Spoiler:
I really wanted to see him turn a corner, like he did with his drinking, physical recovery, etc. and for some reason it just didn't work for me that he ended up murdering Cassie anyway. I liked his character and was glad when the season started off with him not dead, but now, meh.
Old 03-31-15, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 620 Likes on 499 Posts

Not enough Frank talking to us this season..
Completely agree.

S3 was okay. I miss the secret scheming and maneuverings that build up the house of cards.
Old 04-02-15, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Officially renewed for season four.
Old 06-10-15, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Finished it today. I'm a slacker apparently. I was actually hoping Frank would loose in Iowa. You figure there is about a year and a half left in his term, more then enough time for another season.

What I would do in season 4 (assuming it is the final season). Dunbar get the nomination and is running for President. Frank is just bitter over it and is doing all he can to sabotage her campaign. "Screw the party, I won't let her win" At the same time, trying to do things to preserve his legacy. He goes too far and pretty much all his secrets are exposed, destroying whatever legacy he hoped to leave.

Also hoping Doug would let her go and move on with his life. Or she would get the upper hand and kill him. And make sure he's dead this time.
Old 06-11-15, 06:43 AM

I just finished watching this the other day. I enjoyed it but agree that it is the weakest of the 3 series so far. The whole thing with Doug really didn't bother me, they showed a man who had the opportunity to change and decided not to, that power was too important to him and that's why I'm hopign Doug's return to Frank will cancel out Claire leaving him. That, by the way is what I found annoying with the show, Claire's always been a stong woman, to me her reactions in the later part of the season of hating her need for Frank seems so out of character as they have both needed each other the entire time.
Old 01-28-16, 05:08 PM

Received 4,629 Likes on 3,135 Posts

There's good and bad news for Netflix's House of Cards.

The streaming service has handed out an early season five renewal for the political drama — but showrunner Beau Willimon will not return, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. It's unclear who will replace Willimon as showrunner.

“Prior to its fourth season premiere, Netflix and [producers] Media Rights Capital are thrilled to announce that House of Cards will return for a fifth season in 2017. Concurrent with the renewal, creator and showrunner Beau Willimon is departing the critically acclaimed series," Netlfix said in a statement. "Netflix and MRC owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to Beau Willimon for his strong narrative vision for House of Cards over the show’s first four seasons. As an Academy Award-nominated writer, he made his first foray into television and built a riveting and critically acclaimed series, establishing his place in TV history. The producers, cast and crew join us in wishing Beau the best in his next creative adventure."

The news comes ahead of season four's March 4 debut — and after season three's lackluster reviews.

Willimon adapted House of Cards from the BBC mini of the same name. The series helped put the streaming service on the map with original scripted fare. The drama has been an awards season staple from the start, winning three Emmys for its freshman run in 2013.

Star Kevin Spacey also exec produces alongside Joshua Donen, Eric Roth, Dana Brunetti, Andrew Davies, Michael Dobbs and David Fincher.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-season-860223
Old 01-28-16, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 739 Likes on 541 Posts

I don't see the need for a 5th season. It should wrap up this season and be done. The latter half of season 3 was a snoozefest.
Old 01-28-16, 05:25 PM

Received 4,629 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Absolutely agree. It didn't need a third season.
Old 01-28-16, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,684 Likes on 2,650 Posts

I'm betting the show is extremely difficult for Willimon to write and he just doesn't have the energy to do it again.
Old 02-10-16, 09:27 PM
Banned

House of Cards S4

This starts back up March 4th. Here is a link to the trailer. Not sure how to imbed

http://youtu.be/NTzycsqxYJ0
Old 02-10-16, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts
Re: House of Cards S4

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NTzycsqxYJ0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-23-16, 09:09 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Finally finished S3, only took me a year..

I enjoyed the middle, the beginning and the end not so much...

I found the Claire stuff interesting and boring at the same time, the writer stuff was pretty boring, the Doug stuff ok, the Remy and Jackie stuff was very good, I like those character a lot, I liked the Seth stuff and could have used more.

Agree with more Frank at Camera, those are always great moments.

Will tune in for S4 to see if I can keep the momentum going.
Old 07-03-17, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I liked Season 1, and thought Season 2 was OK, and liking Season 3 more as I am about halfway through. I still think this could have been a much better show if they really delved into Frank and Claire's characters instead of just making them calculating evil caricatures. A show like 'The Americans' gets inside the characters and the toll it takes on them and that is what is missing in HOC. Now it's intentional so I am looking for something that just isn't there, but it's a bummer cause this could have gone from a good show I watch to one of the greats.