TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

House of Cards (Netflix) - Season 3 Discussion Thread - Available 2/27/15

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-15, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: House of Cards (Netflix) - Season 3 Discussion Thread - Available 2/27/15

Originally Posted by slop101
Now it's West Wing: The Boring Years.
I would 100% blind buy West Wing: The Boring Years for $50 a season. House of Cards at the $7.99/mo. you're paying anyway is a pretty good deal too.
Old 02-28-15, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just watched the first two episodes, and if these are any measure, Season 3 is going to be a weak sister alongside Seasons 1 and 2.

Those I burned through very quickly. They were like a good suspense novel that kept me turning the page to read the next chapter. "House" Season 3 doesn't come up to that standard. I don't feel much interest in watching episode 3 and beyond, though I will give them a chance.

The pacing of the story is anemic and slow, nothing like the first two seasons. Color me unimpressed and disappointed.
Old 02-28-15, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

This show is Soo mich fun to watch. It's the tv equivalent of a"page turner" for a book. Hard not to marathon this show.

Season 3 was good, although I don't think it's as good as the first 2.

What a way to end the season, although it is built up well. Next February is a long way off.
Old 02-28-15, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

EP 5 I'll watch her pee

Spoiler:
I since a tornado coming that will screw up Franks plan. No one has been killed yet, Frank is slipping. Claire proves she is fit for the job by peeing in front of a guy. Ok she did some other stuff or did she. I guess all she did is get Frank to make a resolution proven the US was willing to send in troops. I guess she made all the right threats at the right time.

But the biggest question is how many video games did this episode sell?
Old 02-28-15, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

E6 its a cryin shame

Spoiler:
Frank makes a deal to get a gay american out of Russia but it all goes south when he takes the cowards option. Or maybe the brave man option. I'm not sure really. This almost felt like a episode of Black Mirror. The gay couple was a mirror reflection of the relationship between Claire and Frank. They were both trapped in a way. I wonder if this is foreshadowing the death of Claire or Frank.

So the hacker dude fakes having HIV to get a hit on the missing girl. You know if she hasn't said anything by now she probably isn't going to. They should just leave her alone.

You know it is funny how Claire burned the card house down by finding her Jiminy Cricket. In the past she has done some pretty ruthless things. This lie was pretty minor compared to the stuff she pulled in the past.
Old 03-01-15, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

E7 Time to stop monking around

Spoiler:
All about fixing bridges between Frank and Claire. The weakest episode up to this point.

Frank feeds the book writer BS that he smells a mile away. Claire bullies Israel for support

The monks make a beautiful picture that takes weeks to make and then destroy it and throws the dust in a river. This was all part of a ceremony that wasn't explained. Frank ends up not seeing the finish product before it was destroyed. I guess they were trying to have a life lesson here. Maybe you should stop and take in your surroundings every now and then. Also to take these moments and share them with your loved ones.

I think 90 percent of this episode was a waste.
Old 03-01-15, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

E8 You get a job, you get a job, everyone gets a job

Spoiler:
Its the return of Freddy and he got a job as a dishwasher. Frank seems to be put off about this so he gives him a job in the White House as a chef. Freddy rather work outside though so takes a job as a gardener instead. The interesting part about this is when Freddy is talking to his grandson and telling him he can never be president. He tells him to keep his dreams realistic instead. Freddy was kind of playing the anti Frank here. Freddy is the good guy with low or down to Earth dreams. Frank is the bad guy with pie in the sky dream that believes anything can be done with enough power.

The storm to end all storms is coming to kill thousands. Oh but wait it turns away at the last minute saving Frank from making a hard choice. I'm surprise they didn't have the storm hit. Maybe that was to obvious a thing to happen.

There were no power rangers or dresses with different colors this episode but it was still good.
Old 03-01-15, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

E9 F the police

Spoiler:
Remy gets pulled over for driving while black. He doesn't take it very well but at least he didn't get shot. His feelings are so hurt he makes another move on what's her name that is making a fake run for the president. Come on Remy get a single girl. Didn't really care for this sub plot.

Franks old aid breaks down and cries like a baby. Finding out the girl he was looking for was dead was to much for him. I did like how Frank attacked the other lady running for president for hiring his aid. The attack wasn't called for since it wasn't her fault but the support Frank showed for his aid was cool.

No brother sister incest this episode but it was still good.
Old 03-01-15, 01:56 PM

Received 4,706 Likes on 3,187 Posts

Finished. Not as strong as previous seasons, but enjoyable. It is always engaging.
Old 03-01-15, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finished the season as well..

Spoiler:
Pretty underwhelming season, and definitely the weakest so far. The whole story with Doug was getting tiresome and implausible. They should of left him dead and moved on. Not enough time passed as well, I was hoping we'd get to see him win the 2016 election this season, but it seems like that will be next seasons story.
Old 03-01-15, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Harwood
Just watched the first two episodes, and if these are any measure, Season 3 is going to be a weak sister alongside Seasons 1 and 2.

Those I burned through very quickly. They were like a good suspense novel that kept me turning the page to read the next chapter. "House" Season 3 doesn't come up to that standard. I don't feel much interest in watching episode 3 and beyond, though I will give them a chance.

The pacing of the story is anemic and slow, nothing like the first two seasons. Color me unimpressed and disappointed.
Hmm...I've watched the first two episodes and think it's just as good as the prior couple of seasons.
Old 03-01-15, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Hmm...I've watched the first two episodes and think it's just as good as the prior couple of seasons.
I don't, I agree with Harwood, not so much that it's bad, but that this season was a bit mundane, concerning itself with the presidency rather than Frank's wheeling and dealing that make the previous seasons more fun and less mundane. Better or worse, it's objectively and demonstrably less suspenseful that the previous seasons, that's for sure.
Old 03-01-15, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finished the season

Spoiler:
Can't stand Claire. Seem like a waste of a season. How the hell did Rachel/Cassy can't outrun Doug when the guy is half cripple?
Old 03-02-15, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,214 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by zuffy
Finished the season

Spoiler:
Can't stand Claire. Seem like a waste of a season. How the hell did Rachel/Cassy can't outrun Doug when the guy is half cripple?
Spoiler:
At that point he's healed up pretty well and she can't outrun a fucking a van.
Old 03-02-15, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm pretty far along, episode 10 I think. I don't remember last season very well but I've enjoyed this one more, I think. I like the direct focus on international and domestic politics and how he navigates them as president, where he can't operate in the shadows as much. That said, I hope something pretty big happens because it's kind of just sauntering along and the storylines haven't been developed as well as they could have.
Old 03-02-15, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Spoiler:
At that point he's healed up pretty well and she can't outrun a fucking a van.
Spoiler:
Get off the road, run into the grass and dirt area. That van don't have off road tires
Old 03-02-15, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zuffy
Finished the season

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
More thoughts as to why this season was a bit disappointing. I think this season is underwhelming because Claire is an emotional wreck. She did nothing to gain more power, just stupid emotional outbursts that hurt her and/or Frank
Old 03-02-15, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

E13 Drop the mic I'm out

Spoiler:
I liked the season but thought it was weakest so far. I think Claire's story was a little sour. I just can't understand where she is coming from. She is made for having to ask Frank for help. Ok why is that Frank's fault. If he didn't help her she would be mad at him for not helping her. Besides she also helped him. Then she risk the entire campaign giving up a lot of power as the first lady. What will she do now?

Darn it Frank when super sexy lady tells you to take her like animal you do it.
Old 03-03-15, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

I completely agree with this review from The New Yorker about season 3.

The excitement of backstabbing his way to the highest office in the land has been replaced by the tedium of domestic governance.

Nor real spoilers, but I'll hide it anyways.

Spoiler:
Last week, in advance of the third season of “House of Cards,” “Sesame Street” aired a parody of the series, in which a purple puppet in a power suit named Frank Underwolf terrorizes three little pigs along the way to his desired destination, the White Brick House. The bit is a funny send-up of the Netflix show’s distinctive attributes, from its theme music and opening-credits sequence to its frequent dramatization of texting and the gold ring that the main character bangs on tabletops. The wolf sounds like a slightly batty Southern soliloquist in a damp Tennessee Williams production—which is to say, he sounds like Kevin Spacey as Frank Underwood—and he drawls out Frank-inspired aphorisms like “As we used to say back home, sometimes to get what you want, you’ve got to be a bit of a blowhard.” The spoof is supposed to teach kids subtraction and to give their parents a laugh, but watching the new “House of Cards” episodes this past weekend, I realized that it also illustrates the central problem with the show’s third season.

Underwolf and Underwood covet similar things for similar reasons: each wants to live in a big house, well, just because, basically. “House of Cards,” at its best, is a simple show: Underwood wants power, and he looks at the camera and tells us that this is what he wants. When we left him at the end of Season 2, he was standing behind the desk in the Oval Office, staring back at us, having ascended to the Presidency by means of manipulation and outright murder. It was a season finale that could have been a series finale: the highest office in the land was the culmination of Underwood’s scheming, and, short of declaring himself king, he could rise no further. “There is but one rule: hunt or be hunted,” he once said. By continuing, the show would have to become something different.

It turns out that the imagined implications of an Underwood Presidency were more menacing than any dramatic manifestation of them could possibly be. “House of Cards” struggles to maintain its devilish momentum when it asks us to believe that Underwood cares a lick for real governance—or when it asks us to care whether Frank passes an education bill, say, as he attempted in Season 1, or a radical new jobs program, as he attempts in Season 3. The show is about the will to power, not the wielding of it: public policy seems at once above Frank’s ethics and beneath his talents. The same is true of his wife, Claire (Robin Wright). In the new season, her efforts as Ambassador to the United Nations to install a peacekeeping force in the Jordan Valley have less to do with geopolitics than with her own future ambitions. And if neither believes in what they’re doing, why should we?

The journey toward power for its own sake is a story that, like a children’s bedtime story or a ghastly Grimm fairy tale, begins at A and should end, naturally, and after a few twists, at B. Last season, “House of Cards” arrived there, but, like the British series on which it is based, it has continued, shifting its focus from the acquisition of power to the protection of it, and to thoughts of legacy. Unlike the British version, which ended after three parts, the American “House of Cards” isn’t ready to let go; this year’s finale sets the stage for more. Successful American TV shows typically expand and, in so doing, drift. It’s hard to end a popular show in this country, especially if it’s merely in the name of narrative tidiness.

This latest season is not without its gifts, and some may feel that there is plenty of entertainment to be had in watching Frank and Claire play out the string on more scenes of treachery—still borrowing from and remixing the ghastliest bits of “Richard III” and “Macbeth.” (If there are multiple seasons to come, perhaps they’ll eventually get to “King Lear.”) This season’s story line involving the Russian President, Victor Petrov—a taller, better-looking Putin—is mostly a delight. (It helps that Petrov is one of the few “House of Cards” characters who is genuinely funny; in a knowing wink at knocks on the show’s constant doom and gloom, Petrov tells Underwood that people need to see that their President “doesn’t take himself too seriously.”) At one particularly enjoyable moment, it seems almost possible that Underwood may personally attempt to assassinate his fellow head of state. The show continues to up the ante in its attempts to shock, with behavior that ranges from the improper (the First Lady playing beer pong with the Secretary of State in the White House residence) to the sacrilegious (Underwood pissing on his father’s grave and later spitting on a statue of Jesus Christ). But, for all of this, the season, interrupted as it is by long scenes of brooding and political maneuvers that signify nothing, feels like an extended epilogue.

In the “Sesame Street” parody, once Underwolf thinks he has outsmarted the pigs, he proclaims, “Now the White Brick House is mine. Finally, I get what I deserve.” And then the whole thing comes crashing down around him: it wasn’t a house of bricks, after all, but a house of cards. Viewers of the British series may expect that punishment of some kind awaits our American antihero, but perhaps more seasons like this new one are justice enough for Underwood. The excitement of backstabbing his way to the highest office in the land has been replaced by the tedium of domestic governance and the impossibility of peacekeeping in the Middle East. Running for election in an honest-to-goodness campaign is less fun than rigging the game by moving pieces on both sides of the board. And the trappings of the position are clearly beginning to grate: it is harder to sneak a cigarette; it takes a full security detail to get out for a midnight jog; there’s no good place in the White House residence to put his old rowing machine. It’s lonely at the top, and grim, and, to be honest, a bit dull for us to be there with him. But, after all his fun, and ours, perhaps we’ve gotten what we deserve.
Old 03-03-15, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just finished this up tonight and thought it was pretty good. Not many fans here it seems.
Old 03-04-15, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,214 Likes on 933 Posts

^ Yeah, I'm surprised. Last year and the year before we were jerking each other off. Now, nothing. I guess the buzz has died down for the show since there's so much great television out there.

Old 03-04-15, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

I don't think it's the lack of buzz because of other good shows, it just really lacked anything close to what the past seasons were.

It really was like a dog chasing a truck. Fun to watch, but once the truck stops and the dog catches it - there's little excitement anymore. The illusion of power in the presidency was just really boring to watch opposed to him snaking his way to it.
Old 03-09-15, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have two episodes left, and if I had to pick one word to describe the season so far, it's uneven. I'm enjoying it but some of the middle episodes were incredibly boring. Myself and my wife caught ourselves dozing at some points. Some other general thoughts spoilered, just in case:

Spoiler:
I like the AmWorks and Jackie as the VP storylines and the Claire as Ambassador was okay, but the stuff with Doug and the guy who said that he had AIDs was just awful. Any momentum stopped in its tracks when those stories came on. Doug working for Dunbar had potential, but that petered out quickly. I was surprised how quickly Mendoza was dealt with. It looked like he would be a major player, but they dealt with him offscreen with a throwaway line. I expect to see him back next season, if there is one, but found it odd how they tossed him aside.

I do have 2 episodes left, so I know there will be more developments that could change my mind on some of the above.
Old 03-09-15, 12:17 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

This sums it up for me:

‘House of Cards’ is the worst show about American politics. Ever.

Big problem with season three is that, in addition to being stupid, outlandish, far-fetched, etc., it's also really quite boring.
Old 03-09-15, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 882 Likes on 620 Posts

I have to concur that this season was pretty boring for the most part.

As mentioned, it was more interesting to see Frank trying to climb his way to the top that it is trying to stay there. It was obvious there was going to be a husband/wife conflict - I just didn't thought it could've been done better. Too much of the issues with the Russian president. I get that politics isn't really exciting - but this show was never realistic in order to be more entertaining. This season wasn't as entertaining and it still wasn't very realistic.

I can't believe they thought giving Doug's story line that much screen time was a good idea. He just fumbled around every episode and did very little until the last couple episodes. Huge waste of time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.