TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead (S5E06) -- "Consumed" -- 11/16/14

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-14, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (S5E06) -- "Consumed" -- 11/16/14

Originally Posted by Shazam
Why would they leave Daryl behind? Does he look too badass? Why wouldn't they kill him then?
My thought is yes. They seem to prey on the weak, so it would have made sense to leave him ... Or kill him, you are correct.

Originally Posted by Shazam
No. Z Nation is crap. The last episode was horrible ... And you complain about cars flipping. Yeesh.
Yes ... And no. Yes, TWD is a much better show overall. The reason I say Z Nation is winning the battle is because of how it performs compared to what it wants to be. It is campy and fun and it succeeds. These lapses in common sense are more easily forgiven because it isn't trying to be the best and smartest show on TV while committing stupid errors to (presumably) accommodate lazy writing.

I'll agree with you one more time ... This week's Z Nation was the worst one so far. However, the suspension of disbelief is much more easily attained when the show never tried to root itself in reality in the first place.
Old 11-18-14, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I calibrated my HDTV-perhaps not well-and some scenes are still looking dark to me.
I don't know if it is a conscious aesthetic choice or the budget really has gotten low, but the past several episodes have all included scenes where you can't see much of anything on a calibrated display. The more popular this show becomes, the uglier it gets.

I hear next season they plan on filming everything on VHS camcorders.
Old 11-19-14, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
MOD NOTE: Folks, please stop reporting this post. It is speculation in jest, not an actual spoiler.
Daryl is not even in the comics. lol
Old 11-19-14, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Daryl is actually in the comics. I added him myself using my crayons. Oh and spoiler he ends up of saving the world and we live happily ever after. If anyone else wants to be added to the comics let me know.
Old 11-19-14, 03:00 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still waiting for Daryl to acquire a second crossbow, suspend himself upside-down from a ceiling, and do a 360-degree walker slaughter.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.co...ck-saints2.jpg

http://www.tumblr.com/photo/1280/fbc...dg6ZTEs1rpfn3v

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lw...8y1qo1_500.gif

Last edited by creekdipper; 11-19-14 at 03:08 AM.
Old 11-19-14, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Neither is Beth. Maggie's sisters were murdered in the prison, neither is named Beth.
Old 11-19-14, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury
Neither is Beth. Maggie's sisters were murdered in the prison, neither is named Beth.
Yeah, Maggie doesn't apparently have a sister named Beth. She walked all over Georgia looking for Glenn but didn't ask about Beth or seem even remotely curious where Beth is after Daryl came back with news of her kidnapping.
Old 11-19-14, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Some people need to quit watching this show...
Old 11-19-14, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

People that eat ice cream shouldn't watch. Can't stand people that eat ice cream. Don't even get me started on sorbet.
Old 11-19-14, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
People that eat ice cream shouldn't watch. Can't stand people that eat ice cream. Don't even get me started on sorbet.
So you are one of those frogurt nuts then? That explains it. You people are always crapping on the things the rest of us real people enjoy. Go 'Murica!

(Do I really need to add this? )
Old 11-19-14, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
I would take that a few steps further ... Other than the concept and some conceptual storylines, the show and the comic have NOTHING in common. Even the characters that share the same name have very little in common with their cross-over counterparts.
Old 11-19-14, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Anyone have any idea what that male cop was up to when he got out of the car? Was pretty dark and I couldn't make out if it was anything significant or not.
Looked to me like he was clearing small debris out of the road so that the car could pass - a bike and some other junk.

I loved that one nighttime shot of the zombies slowly gathering in the darkness, by the way. Very effective and creepy. I agree with the other posters that it was a good change of pace to get back to the city after so much time in the woods.
Old 11-19-14, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Yes ... And no. Yes, TWD is a much better show overall. The reason I say Z Nation is winning the battle is because of how it performs compared to what it wants to be. It is campy and fun and it succeeds. These lapses in common sense are more easily forgiven because it isn't trying to be the best and smartest show on TV while committing stupid errors to (presumably) accommodate lazy writing.
Z Nation is exceeding expectations by aiming low in the first place, but it's still not a very good show. It can be fun, and it's very satisfying to a lot of viewers who are frustrated that The Walking Dead isn't an action show.

I've never heard TWD called the "best and smartest show" on tv, but then I don't partake of entertainment media. I sure as hell wouldn't call it either of those things.
Old 11-19-14, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I would take that a few steps further ... Other than the concept and some conceptual storylines, the show and the comic have NOTHING in common. Even the characters that share the same name have very little in common with their cross-over counterparts.
I would argue that the show and the comic have too much in common and that's part of the problem.
Old 11-19-14, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

The van crash took me out of the story. Ridiculous that it landed upright.
Old 11-20-14, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The van crash was poorly executed, but it didn't bother me that much because I chalked it up to the limitations of a TV show shot on a limited budget.

Here's what I had a much bigger problem with, logic-wise: Despite all the flashbacks in the episode illustrating how a plume of smoke can be seen from miles away, Daryl decides to burn the bodies of the mother and little girl, even though he knows they're only blocks away from the people who kidnapped Beth.

Why not just shoot a flare into the sky to let them know where you are?
Old 11-20-14, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Daryl didn't have a flare gun.
Old 11-20-14, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
The van crash was poorly executed, but it didn't bother me that much because I chalked it up to the limitations of a TV show shot on a limited budget.

Here's what I had a much bigger problem with, logic-wise: Despite all the flashbacks in the episode illustrating how a plume of smoke can be seen from miles away, Daryl decides to burn the bodies of the mother and little girl, even though he knows they're only blocks away from the people who kidnapped Beth.
Those were both of my nitpicks as well in an episode that I really enjoyed.

Featured two of my favorite characters on TV (as much shit as the writers get from fans, Carol's arc has been brilliant); an urban setting with some 28 Days Later-/ Night of the Comet-like desolation (finally!); a genuine scare; and some welcome character development. Not minding Everybody Loves Chris either.

Was a nice change of pace from the previous week's cliche-fest (Abraham and Eugene are the worst-written characters on this show, by far...and yes, I know Carl exists). Didn't mind that some of the suspense was tempered.