Reload this Page >

The Strain (S1E09) -- "The Disappeared" -- 9/07/14

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-07-14, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,626 Likes on 2,603 Posts

Episode 9 / Production #109 - "The Disappeared" (Airs September 7, 10:00 pm e/p) - Eph races to safeguard his family, only to learn that Kelly is missing. Dutch reveals her role in Palmer's plan, and Gus is forced to make a difficult decision about Felix. Teleplay by Regina Corrado; directed by Charlotte Sieling.

Episode 9 of 13
Old 09-07-14, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
"Call me, none of this texting shit."
The. Phones. Don't. Work. Have you not noticed this?

That is the most stereotypical accent I have ever heard in my life.

He gets a shovel to defend himself! This child is more intelligent than anyone else in the cast!

"My ex-wife's boyfriend."
"Not anymore!"
Ah, Fet, the vampirepocalypse is serving your perversely morbid sense of humor well.

"Where would I find some booze?"
Normally I'd say "it's the end of the world, you causes it, and you want a drink," but in this case, i kind of understand. But since you did this and they've been kind enough to take you in, maybe you could, oh, I don't know, do something useful? Like he honest about your part in the draft of their friend?

And yet another DP. Digital cinematography still looks nice, but an awful lot of heavy lighting which leans towards one that sickly green for some reason.

Riker' immediately makes me think of the Cecily McMillan story, sad sheltered life I lead. Never thought I'd read something interesting in Cosmo.

"We'd all be dead."
You know, though callously pragmatic, it's kind of interesting to have a character in a genre show who's straightforward and blunt about things and acts as a bit of an avatar for the genre-savvy watchers.

"Fine. I'm not making out with you though."
Um, that was a weird line.

"She stole all my money!"
Yes, which you got illegally. By starting the goddamn apocalypse. For "the people." Karma's a bitch, huh?

"Life will insist."
And I thought Karl from The Walking Dead was getting raised in a fucked up environment.

Can we get a "Fet and Set" spinoff?

"Some artists get this way after crafting something truly masterful."
Must be nice to be able to get that kind of natural high.

"In Argentinian, you inherit the dread."
Translation: this is all-too familiar to people in third world countries. You're sacrificing your comfort, imagine what it's like for them, here's a taste of the other half.

"Should we say something about whatshisname?"
"No."
He's dead. He was sleeping with my wife. I'm glad he's gone. But let's mourn Jim.

"I thought it was about making him more money."
Ah, yes. Of course, it wasn't about making YOU more money. Because crippling the empties of communication is always a great thing to do for "the people."

You know, last week, I'd have thought the notion that she could do what she did was fiction. But I still hope that the most urban city in the US would have defenses for cyber-attacks.

"I felt like is gotten one over on them and got their money."
Which you of course kept for yourself. Like a good freedom fighter. For "the people."

Do British people really use the expression "dude?" Nice of her to admit it. Finally.

"I'm going to kick your rotten-ass teeth out. Bitch."
Again, I can't speak realistically, but this tough-guy macho dialogue sounds hilariously false to me.

Do police transport fans really only have bars and no bulletproof glass?

So Nora can call her mother? Do the phones just arbitrarily work whenever the screenwriters want?

My eBay quest for the library edition of the second audiobook on CD continues, I know you all were waiting with baited breath .

Love how they aren't revealing what's under The Master's cloak. For once, the show actually gets that less can be more. Well, until the end, anyway. The designs for the full vampires still feel a little bit constrained by the budget even when the production values elsewhere are high. The look like a little too much like makeup to be threatening.cdr

"This program contains strong sexual situations."
Yes, where the character have sex with their underwear on. Because you can say "shit and show people having their heads smashed in, but not nekkid ppl!

I'm no expert, but Gus got those cuffs undone awfully fast. And found the right key with amazing alacrity.

"In your concerned state you still find time to screw on the rug."
She kind of has a point....

"She's definitely calling the cops."
With what, pray tell! Do the phones work or not? Make a narrative decision here and stick with it!

I'm glad I stuck with the show through the rough first few episodes. Like its pulp novel roots, the show is mud more interesting now that the actual narrative iTs in motion, though not as action packed as last week. Even some of the clunky character development is paying some dividends now. The Eph-Zach stuff isn't Shakespeare, but at least it has a little weight. Eichorst is a good villain (the holding the burning bullet was nice) and Sammell plays him very well, and the flashback structure with the concentration camp is working nicely. The show doesn't look like it'll ever be as classic as the best genre TV, but as it's finding its feet, hopefully it'll really pick up in the second season, whenever that is. I bet it'll be a long-ass wait.

"Why have you forsaken me?"
Little on the nose with the religious symbolism, but I like idea of how someone evil down to his soul embraces something even more evil, desperately crying out to something evil and demonic to save him from his judgement by those coming to make him answer for his borrow. Nice, perverse, pulp horror touch. The show is coming into its own and finally getting good. Hopefully lots of people didn't bail after the weak first episodes.
Old 09-08-14, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts
Re: The Strain (S1E09) -- "The Disappeared" -- 9/07/14

Good episode and The Master looks creepy as fuck all skull head face-like. Yes, the actor IS that tall.

No sign of the vampire-vampire hit squad again this week or Bolivar for that matter. Next week perhaps.
Old 09-08-14, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you misspelled crappy and accidentally put in creepy.
Old 09-08-14, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The chick playing Nora is turrible.
Old 09-08-14, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started laughing when they showed the master.
Old 09-08-14, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bigsoos
Yeah, the makeup was disappointing. Which is a shame, because when they were subscribing to the "less is more" approach and just showing him in the hood with glowing red eyes, it was nicely spooky.
Old 09-08-14, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

nothing really happened outside of the beginning and end. meh.
Old 09-08-14, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Yeah, the makeup was disappointing. Which is a shame, because when they were subscribing to the "less is more" approach and just showing him in the hood with glowing red eyes, it was nicely spooky.
I thought he looked neat. He had no nose, so when the camera framed the side view it looked nasty cuz there was a hole where the nose should have been. It also helps that the actor already looks "unique."
Old 09-08-14, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

I mean, if you find an adult version of Batboy to be terrifying and not something you completely laugh at.... I guess.

I'm not even going to get on the big goofy looking hands. But no nose thing isn't anything really new. Voldamort comes to mind.
Old 09-08-14, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Yup, I was disappointed with the master. He looked more comical than creepy to me.
Old 09-08-14, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Yup, I was disappointed with the master. He looked more comical than creepy to me.
Comically huge hands too. Very, very ugly though. I guess he enjoyed Setrakian watching him kill people. Very cruel to crush his hands.
Old 09-08-14, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,626 Likes on 2,603 Posts

Okay episode. Coming off last week this was kind of a letdown.

Felix turning was inevitable, but was disappointed there wasn't more carnage from that.

I did enjoy the flashback to the camp and seeing the Master was fully aware of Setrakian's actions. Crushing his hands was pretty cruel.
Old 09-08-14, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by randian
Comically huge hands too. Very, very ugly though. I guess he enjoyed Setrakian watching him kill people. Very cruel to crush his hands.
Gah, that's the thing, his hands ARE that big in real life. Robert Maillet is also 6'11.

Old 09-08-14, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I should also mention that The Master is not something that was born as is. The body he possesses is that of a giant malformed but strong man named

Spoiler:
Jusef Sardu

You guys are gonna have to keep watching, because now that they've showed you the master they're probably going to go into his origin and possession. In the books, the order is reversed. They showed you his origins early on.

The origin of The Master is pretty badass, actually, and I'm excited to see how they're going to pull it off. The budgets for those episodes will be enormous due to the scale of it all.
Old 09-08-14, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts

I now always expect some stupidity inserted into the cooler elements of this show. I was praying that the kid got killed off, it's no doubt they will now reunite with his mother. The hacker/model/lesbian character annoys me for some reason. I found it super-unbelievable she just happened to run into our group of heroes.

I wasn't that disappointed by the Master's make-up. There is only so much one can do on a cable TV show's budget.
Old 09-08-14, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

BTW, don't let the Master's current look deceive you. We're in for more "changes."

There's a reason why we haven't seen
Spoiler:
Bolivar
in a while. If you've read the books then you already know what's going to happen with him and The Master.
Old 09-08-14, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

The logic goes from being tight (the van escape) to so stupid (Eph and the girl having sex during the apocalypse ... really, pick any example).

I think that all of the WWII stuff is good. The Master looked cool.
Old 09-08-14, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I thought he looked neat. He had no nose, so when the camera framed the side view it looked nasty cuz there was a hole where the nose should have been. It also helps that the actor already looks "unique."
He was creepy as hell in Sherlock Holmes.

I liked the look, unique take rather than just having a white skinned human.
Old 09-08-14, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I now always expect some stupidity inserted into the cooler elements of this show. I was praying that the kid got killed off, it's no doubt they will now reunite with his mother. The hacker/model/lesbian character annoys me for some reason. I found it super-unbelievable she just happened to run into our group of heroes. I wasn't that disappointed by the Master's make-up. There is only so much one can do on a cable TV show's budget.
I'm not quite getting the lesbian reveal. Does it serve some narrative purpose, or is it just there to make her look more "alternative?" Is I just to show that they aren't going to put her and Fet together? She totally does look like a model, the kind of impossibly attractive person who's makeup is never out of place while the world literally falls apart. The production values have been largely pretty high, so that'd be an odd place for them to scrimp. I think the way they went with depicting him was a decision about the way most of the vamps will eventually look (we saw Eichorst look that way when he was putting his face earlier), and IMO, it's not that effective. But like you said, even high-budget TV is TV, I guess you're constrained to some extent. As regards his mother, in the books,

Spoiler:
She becomes a vampire and captures him from Nora, and rather than turning him, The Master, now in Bolivar's body, grooms him to be his new host when he reaches a certain age, teaching him to become gradually more sociopathic. That's probably why they're playing up the doe-eyed innocence now, to make that seem spookier later on.
Old 09-08-14, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 853 Posts

Can somebody point out "the lesbian reveal?" I have missed a few things, but I think many of you are projecting.

I'm in the "disappointed" category for the reveal of The Master. Production values have been so good on this show, but that may have been the worst looking thing they have done yet.
Old 09-08-14, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 371 Likes on 265 Posts

She said that she and her roommate were "more than roommates." But she could just be bi.
Old 09-09-14, 12:04 AM

I love Fet. Having him with the group is a huge plus.

That is all.
Old 09-09-14, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
He looked like a poorly drawn cartoon vampire. Just insanely goofy. Not really scary or creepy at all. I cant believe they spent all this time keeping him hidden and that was the big reveal.
Old 09-09-14, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bigsoos
As much as I like this show and ignore the stupid shit, man, he looks like a fucking muppet! Absolutely terrible.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.