Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Strain (S1E06) -- "Occultation" -- 8/17/14

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Strain (S1E06) -- "Occultation" -- 8/17/14

Old 08-17-14, 01:33 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Godfather
Thread Starter
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 56,966
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
The Strain (S1E06) -- "Occultation" -- 8/17/14





Episode 6 / Production #106 - "Occultation" (Airs August 17, 10:00 pm e/p) - After warning Kelly to leave the city with Zack ahead of the spreading plague, Eph is arrested by the FBI. Eichhorst has one final job for Gus, while Setrakian realizes that the coming eclipse is the tipping point for virus infection and the beginning of the end. Teleplay by Justin Britt-Gibson; directed by Peter Weller.

Episode 6 of 13


Previous Threads:

Episode 5
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/621...8-10-14-a.html

Episode 4
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/621...8-03-14-a.html

Episode 3
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/621...7-27-14-a.html

Episode 2
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/621...7-20-14-a.html

Episode 1
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/621...7-13-14-a.html
Old 08-18-14, 12:20 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
hanshotfirst1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Livonia MI
Posts: 9,678
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are we going to have to deal with the space station subplot in the show? Because it was totally pointless in the book. Is the guy on the chain a character from a book or a character we've seen in a previous episode, or is he simply a plot device to show how evil and sadistic the Nazi vampire is?

"I can't believe you called the FBI!"
Yes, why would a jealous boyfriend who has a vendetta against an ex-husband and has no reason to believe that he's actually telling the truth, and seeing that he is currently public enemy number one on television, ever make a decision to contact the authorities? Whatever could his his motivation be?

"Maybe we should go to Vermont!"
No, you can't do that, because that would actually make sense!

Though poorly written, I've seen so many couple squabbles like that on TV that I have to wonder if there's any truth to them.

So though connected to the hive mind of a character who has the accumulated knowledge of six millennia, the vampires haven't figured out how to run yet, therefore are unable to catch an 80-year old man who drops his heart pills?

"I am your salvation or your downfall!"
Was "I'm your worst nightmare not cliched enough?"

Is there a dumber, more cliched thing for people to do than wander around in the dark? Especially when Fet has already seen that these things react to sunlight?
"Okay!"
That was funny. Nice to see him have the brains to realize that sunlight kills infected, therefore use it.

"Classic cockblock!"
Really? Really? Really? Yes, the guy is telling you there's a contagious viral epidemic rampaging through the city and that he wants you to leave-while being pursued by the FBI, no less-because he doesn't want you to sleep with a guy with whom you've been having sex for months? Really? I know sex makes people do stupid things and jealousy makes people shallow, but you couldn't make that leap of logic gluing the pages of two different books together.

"Divorce is a street fight! I'm a Queens girl!"
You know, for a guy who's spend his whole filmography preaching about diversity, that's a pretty offensive stereotype.

I have to see what's inside this body bag! I love looking at things that are horribly mutilated!
"This thing ain't human!"
And you don't think that's maybe, I don't know, a sign of something? Maybe some shit is up!

"You turned down a scholarship to kill rats!"
Hey at least he didn't graduate and go nowhere because he's a moron who's scared of success like some of us. Fet's a millennial!

Ah! And some product placement! For as we all forget, all art must exist at the whim of money.

"Did you do this?!"
I realize I'm a white virginal catholic boy who lives with his parents and hasn't gotten out of the suburbs much and has little in the way of actual life experience. I get that. But surely, even in NYC, people with blood on their mouths-and not a small amount either, tons of it-with pale white skin are not a commonplace occurrence? Or is my conclusion erroneous?

"I told you, shut up!"
Yes, we have seen tentacled monsters and superhuman strength, but we don't need to talk about this! Sure it's all a weird coincidence!

"Now you show up!"
That one was pretty good.

This show is getting to be a little more fun now that the plot is FINALLY in MOTION and stuff is actually happening, but it's still dragging out the plot to end a point we all know will come. The vampires are coming, I get it, must we see each one attack individually? The underlit glowing eclipsed cinematography was really nice though. The production values continue to be really high, it's clear that they spent a lot of money on this show, I just wish they'd spent some more on the script.
Old 08-18-14, 01:05 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 22,349
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: The Strain (S1E06) -- "Occultation" -- 8/17/14

I don't think we had seen before the human that was chained up. I still don't understand why a master vampire with vast resources would totally rely on a bumbling CDC employee and Latino street thug for critical parts of his overall mission.
Old 08-18-14, 05:01 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Posts: 54,199
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Strain (S1E06) -- "Occultation" -- 8/17/14

Yeah, what happened to that random attack at the hospital? It seems that shit goes down at night and goes down big and then is completely forgotten once the sun comes up. I get that's when they attack, but the fucking cops couldn't see the body right there of the medical examiner? And no follow up on the one eating the elderly?

This shit's just dragging too much.

Oh yeah, the cops that arrest you just get turned... shouldn't you... I dunno... bash their heads in so they don't turn another 20 people?
Old 08-18-14, 08:41 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
hanshotfirst1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Livonia MI
Posts: 9,678
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didn't Eph have the goddamn cell phone with the video on it with him? Why not show Kelly or the FBI?

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 08-18-14 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-18-14, 09:59 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Troy Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Under an I-10 Overpass
Posts: 21,509
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Strain (S1E06) -- "Occultation" -- 8/17/14

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
...
I share most of your thoughts.

The old man didn't get chased because it was sunny out.

The husband and wife drama is nonsense. She should have jumped in the car and left within five minutes.

The naive FBI agents gets a pass, because they moved the story forward within 10 minutes. We didn't have to sit an watch an entire interrogation episode with two dumb agents.

It's still an enjoyable show and I'll keep watching. I can't overlook the leaps in logic because the concept is a lot of fun.
Old 08-18-14, 10:01 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
spainlinx0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 15,057
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Strain (S1E06) -- "Occultation" -- 8/17/14

Still a horrendous amount of annoyances as people mentioned above, and yet I did enjoy this episode more than all the others. Maybe it was a quicker pace, but I didn't roll my eyes quite as much. I guess that's improvement.
Old 08-18-14, 01:16 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 8,133
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Strain (S1E06) -- "Occultation" -- 8/17/14

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
Didn't Eph have the goddamn cell phone with the video on it with him? Who not show Kelly or the FBI?
Damn, I completely forgot about that. And so did Eph apparently!

The pace is picking up and I'm still enjoying this. Though you'd have to think that there have been so many out in the open attacks that everyone in the city should realize what's going on by now. But I guess it's all the hackers fault. Because as we all know, before the internet humans had no way to communicate or spread news stories. And of course, New York City is such an under the radar place that no one else in the country would notice anything going on there either.
Old 08-18-14, 01:24 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 17,066
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The Strain (S1E06) -- "Occultation" -- 8/17/14

I was a little confused by the food/burning candles in the house Abraham was visiting. I could see the infected trying and discarding food, but the candle seemed pretty recently lit. Was someone visiting to put those out?

And the way the exterminator came in saying "Did you hear about the house explosion..." to his co-workers seemed really clumsy. Would that really be such big news that you would need it to be the first thing you say when you walk in? It felt more like they didn't have the budget for the fire/explosion so they wanted to drive home what had happened in case people didn't get the gas/candle thing.
Old 08-18-14, 01:43 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
Posts: 2,241
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Strain (S1E06) -- "Occultation" -- 8/17/14

Didn't Eph give his cell phone to Samwise Gamgee in the previous episode?
Old 08-18-14, 02:29 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 8,133
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Strain (S1E06) -- "Occultation" -- 8/17/14

Originally Posted by Neil M. View Post
Didn't Eph give his cell phone to Samwise Gamgee in the previous episode?
Now I remember. They made a point of Eph saying he ditched the cell phone so the cops couldn't track him. But the cops catch him anyway and he doesn't have the cell phone that has the evidence that could clear him. Oh the irony!
Old 08-18-14, 03:09 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 15,626
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Strain (S1E06) -- "Occultation" -- 8/17/14

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
Now I remember. They made a point of Eph saying he ditched the cell phone so the cops couldn't track him. But the cops catch him anyway and he doesn't have the cell phone that has the evidence that could clear him. Oh the irony!
I thought he just took the SIM card out. That wouldn't affect video playback. Obviously Eph should have consulted Otter before planning his escape.
Old 08-18-14, 04:20 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
Posts: 2,241
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Strain (S1E06) -- "Occultation" -- 8/17/14

You're right, he just took the SIM card out and kept the phone.
Old 08-18-14, 05:18 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 74,989
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The Strain (S1E06) -- "Occultation" -- 8/17/14

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
Didn't Eph have the goddamn cell phone with the video on it with him? Why not show Kelly or the FBI?
he addressed that. his kid said to ditch the phone because they can track him with it. i assume his phone was the one with the video and the one he ditched.
Old 08-18-14, 05:31 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
Posts: 2,241
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Strain (S1E06) -- "Occultation" -- 8/17/14

But the thing is that he didn't ditch his phone, just the SIM card. He made it a point to keep the phone because he couldn't send the video to himself because the internet wasn't working. So you basically have to assume that he hid his phone somewhere safe and didn't have it on him when he went to his wife's house in order for it to make any sense. But we didn't see that.
Old 08-18-14, 06:46 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 439
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Strain (S1E06) -- "Occultation" -- 8/17/14

Eph already showed his phone video to his boss who then called the FBI on him, why would he trust the FBI?
Old 08-18-14, 07:11 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,243
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Strain (S1E06) -- "Occultation" -- 8/17/14

Originally Posted by xraybies View Post
Eph already showed his phone video to his boss who then called the FBI on him, why would he trust the FBI?
It's still unconfirmed as to whether his boss is just an ass or whether he works for the vampires.

Kent's supposed repentance was short lived. He apologizes for letting the vampire out, and then does their dirty work anyway the next day (disposing of the body).

I assume that the rat catcher will join the team soon. He didn't hesitate to do what needed to be done. I wonder why he didn't call the cops to investigate his office, though.
Old 08-18-14, 08:19 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Posts: 54,199
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Strain (S1E06) -- "Occultation" -- 8/17/14

Why would his boss work for the vampires? We all know the vampire's hiring process is to only employ low level street thugs and intern lackey's who have family members with bad medical conditions.

I mean, it would make too much sense to have higher officials in your back pocket actually carry out your shady practices.
Old 08-18-14, 11:02 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
hanshotfirst1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Livonia MI
Posts: 9,678
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That actually does make some sense-the characters the vampires have chosen to manipulate actually have something to lose, or some leverage with which to blackmail them. A higher-up? That'd require lots of money and lots more to pay off the people surrounding him.
Old 08-18-14, 11:07 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
hanshotfirst1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Livonia MI
Posts: 9,678
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brainee View Post
Damn, I completely forgot about that. And so did Eph apparently! The pace is picking up and I'm still enjoying this. Though you'd have to think that there have been so many out in the open attacks that everyone in the city should realize what's going on by now. But I guess it's all the hackers fault. Because as we all know, before the internet humans had no way to communicate or spread news stories. And of course, New York City is such an under the radar place that no one else in the country would notice anything going on there either.
Stephen King actually fiddles with the "vampires in a small town" idea fairly well in his second novel, Salem's Lot. I'm from the suburbs, if vampires came here, who notice . That said, I agree with what you said above. Yes, crippling the Internet would be a big deal, especially given how much broadcasting is done digitally these days, but surely it wouldn't knock out radios or TV altogether? More to the point, as I said above, why does no one regard it as an unusual incident when there are people with pale white skin, phalluses coming out of their mouths, and blood on their faces? I realize it's NYC, but it's still slightly out of the ordinary, right?
Old 08-18-14, 11:31 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 795
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Strain (S1E06) -- "Occultation" -- 8/17/14

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
That actually does make some sense-the characters the vampires have chosen to manipulate actually have something to lose, or some leverage with which to blackmail them. A higher-up? That'd require lots of money and lots more to pay off the people surrounding him.
That's what makes the boss' actions so bizarre. He has no apparent reason to frame Eph for spreading plague.
Old 08-19-14, 01:33 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 22,349
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: The Strain (S1E06) -- "Occultation" -- 8/17/14

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
Stephen King actually fiddles with the "vampires in a small town" idea fairly well in his second novel, Salem's Lot. I'm from the suburbs, if vampires came here, who notice . That said, I agree with what you said above. Yes, crippling the Internet would be a big deal, especially given how much broadcasting is done digitally these days, but surely it wouldn't knock out radios or TV altogether? More to the point, as I said above, why does no one regard it as an unusual incident when there are people with pale white skin, phalluses coming out of their mouths, and blood on their faces? I realize it's NYC, but it's still slightly out of the ordinary, right?
The only defense I can muster is that most people would assume it's some kind of extravagant performance art and think it's all fake. These real-world horror scenarios kind of break down when examined under the harsh light of reality.

Taking a cue in how The Walking Dead never references zombies, I've noticed they have yet to mention vampire on The Strain. It's the dumbest concept to come out of these post-modern horror tales. At least on The Strain everyone seems to be previously aware of the general concept, even if they don't call them vampires.
Old 08-19-14, 08:15 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
mnementh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Olympus Mons
Posts: 3,031
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Strain (S1E06) -- "Occultation" -- 8/17/14

What was the point of the eclipse? Nightfall provides enough darkness for the chaos to start.
Old 08-19-14, 10:32 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 15,626
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Strain (S1E06) -- "Occultation" -- 8/17/14

I was wondering about the eclipse too. My guess is it was at a time when more people would be on the street and eligible to be infected.
Old 08-19-14, 11:46 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 40,354
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Strain (S1E06) -- "Occultation" -- 8/17/14

The funny thing with the way they showed the eclipse was how quickly the sun was covered, and once it was, it was "locked" into place. Eclipses don't last for more than 8 minutes anyways - what could happen in 8 minutes?

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.